Start by marking “Tsunami and the Single Girl” as Want to Read:
Tsunami and the Single Girl

Tsunami and the Single Girl

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Set in humanitarian disaster zones around the world, Tsunami and the Single Girl is the story of Krissy Nicholson's journey to become an aid worker and her (seemingly) never-ending search to find a soul mate.

As a free-spirited traveller, Krissy--now almost thirty--needs her life to start taking shape. So how does a wild night on a dance floor in Vietnam land her a sought-a
Published August 21st 2013 by Allen & Unwin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Tsunami and the Single Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tsunami and the Single Girl

Erin Patel
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be conflicting. On the one hand, Krissy was taking on the momentous task of being a Human Resources Officer for Oxfam, responding to crisis zones around the world, recruiting, training and retaining staff under the most difficult of circumstances. What an amazing story that is to tell. The other hand, Krissy, a late twenties to mid-thirties something woman, behaves as if she is 17 throughout most of the book. She is a self-acclaimed party girl, a hippy and her purpose seems ...more
Lucia
Sep 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm over half way but can't finish this book. It's just not interesting enough. She sounds emotionally stunted when it comes to the opposite sex & it bores me. I refuse to waste my time on a below average book.
K
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Generally enjoyable. I found the stuff on her search for Mr Right and her desire for babies a bit cringe-y.

3.5 stars.
Sonia
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Let's start with the positives about this piece of writing:

1. Her statistics about global health and poverty are referenced.
2. She briefly talks about the guilt that those working in global aid experience, and she wrote about it well. This is something I struggle with, so I'm glad it was there.
3. She writes intelligently about choosing an organization that is community-based.

Here are the negatives:

1. She likes to travel, and decides aid work is her thing. Fine, but she drops references to how
Kate
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wish that Krissy Nicholson had stuck more to telling the story of her experiences as an aid worker and less time about her quest to find 'Mr Right'. I really enjoyed reading about the countries she experienced and the people she met but I felt it was ruined by the way she described her dating and relationships. In some places I felt like I was reading the diary of a 16 year old, and despite her protestations against shallowness some of her descriptions and comments about her suitors did seem v ...more
Lauren K
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I’ve always had a soft-spot for a travel memoir, especially when it’s about an Aussie girl who gives up the luxuries of life to live with only the necessities in exotic locations around the world. What can I say, I like to live vicariously through the adventures of others. Tsunami and the Single Girl is one of those books that fit neatly into this category for me.

Krissy Nicholson breaks her leg on a dance floor in Vietnam, but she still rocks up to an Oxfam interview on crutches, discloses how s
Rita H. Azar
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Summary:

“I always imagined by 30 I’d have met the man of my dreams and be starting a family. Instead, here I was, 29 years old, still single and smack bang in the middle of the world’s biggest disaster. The universe obviously had different plans for me.”

- Krissy Nicholson, Tsunami and the Single Girl, Allen & Unwin 2013, P. 1.

Having travelled over 40 countries in three years, Krissy found herself forced to go back home to Melbourne after an unfortunate accident on the dance floor in Vietnam.
Charming Language
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like so many young Australians, Nicholson spent a lot of her twenties travelling the world. As the big 3 0 approached she was starting to consider sensible jobs and marriage prospects when an unforeseen chain of events saw her land a job in emergency relief. She moved into an HR role for Oxfam and was despatched to Sri Lanka in the wake of the 2005 Boxing Day Tsunami. In a baptism of fire (or flood) she quickly realised how committed she was to life as an aid worker and so began a career that wo ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Tsunami and the Single Girl is an account of the six years Krissy Nicholson spent in humanitarian disaster zones around the world, working hard and playing hard, all the while keeping an eye out for Mr Right.

After twenty nine year old Krissy Nicholson's first overseas assignment as a Human Resources Manager with Oxfam in Bangladesh she knew she had found her dream job. Returning to Melbourne after an additional six months in Pakistan, she found she was bored with the daily office routine and so
Athena Macmillan
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this memoir. It had all the right ingredients for a good, chewy read; humanitarian aid, disaster, world travel... and to top it off, written from the perspective of a single girl trying to find love and make her way in the big bad world.
Unfortunately what I found didn't quite live up to those expectations. Much of the writing seems emotionally stunted, as we watch Krissy booze her way through relief programs and men, wondering why her spirituality is suffering along the w
Emily
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Despite the trashy title, "Tsunami and the Single Girl" has a poignant message and well-founded development values. Krissy's stories are more than entertaining anecdotes of voluntourism and because of this, this books core is valuable. Interspersed, however, with Princess Diaries angst at finding Mr Right, I feel Nicholsan is using her love life to sell a book. Sure, (in fact, absolutely!) love is an important contributing factor, but the check list approach and the boomerang attitudes to a clai ...more
Melanie
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tsunami and the single girl is an interesting and insightful read about the realities around what it is actually like to be an aid worker. Not just in the field but life and relationships surrounding it. It is the perfect balance between informative and entertaining and Krissy's path to finding " Mr Right " was a very relatable and honest read.
I laughed and I cried and thoroughly enjoyed all of Krissy's adventures.....and misadventures.

Nicola
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading about Krissy's experiences as an aid worker for Oxfam. It was interesting to discover how addictive working in those communities can be, despite everything you witness. The downfall of this book was the constant commentary about how she is in her 30s, single, no children...and because of this she might as well be put out to pasture! Slightly cringe worthy at times but an interesting read overall.
Cheryl
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"the absolute power of the human spirit"

Her experiences as an aid worker was enriching and gave insights to some of the situations in certain part of the world. With that said, she could wrote more of her experiences and challenges and playdown on her romance (though light hearted and interesting,it was not a romance novel)
Tegan Rowbotham
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was an OK read. I found the parts about the relief work interesting, but the constant references to her love life became tiresome. The ending was pretty predictable too.
Sally
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Fun, inspiring and enjoyable!
Heidi Kean
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed reading about the aid work, wished there was a bit more detail about that. The relationship stories were entertaining enough. A good read.
Deb
Nov 28, 2015
Nicole81
Sep 03, 2013
Claire Melanie
rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2014