Start by marking “The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1)

The Scribe

(Irin Chronicles #1)

Hidden at the crossroads of the world, an ancient race battles to protect humanity, even as it dies from within.

Ava Matheson came to Istanbul looking for answers, but others came looking for her. A reckless warrior guards her steps, but will Malachi’s own past blind him to the truth of who Ava might be? While ancient forces gather around them, both Ava and Mala
Published October 15th 2013 by E. Hunter

To ask other readers questions about The Scribe, please sign up.
Elizabeth Hunter The first three books are Ava and Malachi's story, and it is complete! The others are the continuing stories in the Irin Chronicles world. Thanks for…moreThe first three books are Ava and Malachi's story, and it is complete! The others are the continuing stories in the Irin Chronicles world. Thanks for asking!(less)

Elizabeth Hunter
description

First time in Kindle Unlimited!

So excited to announce that the entire Irin Chronicles series is in Kindle Unlimited for the next few months. I don't put much in KU, so if you're a KU reader, grab it while you can!
➜ Amazon: http://amzn.to/2aHGk17

MY REVIEW:

SO, back in the day, I didn't really leave reviews for my own books. What was that about? I don't know. So I'm going back and updating reviews for my older work.

Do I love this book?
Yes, it's one of my favorites.

Do I recommend this book?
Yep.

Do I want the hero for myself?
Uh, yeah. It's Malachi. He's swoon-tastic, and I don't hand that labook?
Dofavorites.
Do
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister

*4 Stars*

We're all immortal, as long as our stories are told...

I found this story sort of difficult to gauge within the confines of a single rating since there were many layers and varying degrees of enjoyment for me. But, overall, I was extremely impressed with this one.

The world this author has created is solid: intriguing, complex, unique, and very well executed without inducing confusion in its reader.

There's a war between the fallen angels who walk the earth: Those who have rebelled through greed vs. thosStars*
Lucia
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
“We’re all immortal, Ava, as long as our stories are told.”

Exciting story set in modern Instanbul with no insta-love. The Scribe was really refreshing urban fantasy novel which I enjoyed immensely!

My Ava and Malachi:

Ava can hear voices in language she doesn't understand and sense the tone of otheclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Ava
Annika

Pure beauty.
Pure bliss.
Pure perfection.

This was the second time Hunter completely destroyed me with this book, even though I knew what was going to happen.
Would I rate it 555 stars if I could? You bet!

First read: 09/2015: 5 stars
Re-read 02/2018: 5 stars
Phrynne
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm a bit confused over this one. Everyone else seems to like it so much yet I can only say it was just okay. I liked the idea behind it, I liked the author's style and I liked the settings. I did not much like the characters, their stereotypical "love" story or the slow, slow moving story. So slow it nearly stopped at times. It was probably not helped by the fact that I listened to it on Audio and the narrator was totally flat. And sadly monotone equals monotonous. The ending was the best bit a ...more
Stacey is Sassy
Wow...I mean...WOW!!

This was my first story by Elizabeth Hunter and it will definitely not be my last. I was engaged from the first minute until the last. Listening to the narrator made this story come alive for me. I saw these characters, felt their emotions and lived on the edge waiting to see what fight was next.

Four-star instead of 5?? Well, my friends, I DID NOT SEE THAT ENDING COMING AND I CRIED ON THE TRAIN AGAIN!!! Yes, I can hear you all saying...Toughen up Buttercup!! But, seriously, I really was a little bamboozlesaying...
Toughen ...more
Douglas Meeks
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am thinking that authors wait to release some of their best books until later in the year just to have reviewers like me sound like idiots repeating ourselves about “this is the best thing this year’ and similar accolades. I think I have said that about 3-4 times this year already. All that is to prepare you for me to say it again, this may actually be THE best thing I have read this year even though since it is book 1 of a trilogy the story is not complete yet.

Malachi is one of th
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
I know, I know... a band of brothers, that happen to be supernatural, are struggling to combat evil, in a world that leaves them tired and desolate, beaten and bruised with absolutely no hope of finding comfort in a form of a mate...queue at least seven gifs, featuring groaning by various celebs, eyerolls by humans and kittens alike, and at least one cartoon character saying 'duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh'.

That's precisely how original this content appears to be at the very first glance.

But w
Ira
4.5 stars.
Vashama canem, reshon. Vashama canem 😭😭😭

I know I can continue immediately to book #2, if I had to wait for the next one like many other readers when its first published in 2013, I will really mad with the author gave us that ending!!! 😡🤬😤
Montzalee Wittmann
The Scribe
By: Elizabeth Hunter
Narrated by: Zachary Webber
This was a book that really set the atmosphere! The Middle East, Fallen Angels, battles between forces, a woman that is more than human that has heard a strange language no one else could hear all her life, men are following her...She meets a man that stops the voices with a touch.
I really liked the fantasy and mystery part of this, it was a bit too heavy on the romance for me but ....that's just me. The very ending was
Jacqueline's Reads
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-favorites, pnr, ku
5 oh my romance stars

I’ve seen this book for some time now. I’m still in my paranormal binge and I thought why not? I really like the cover.

I will admit, it took me a little to get into it. Maybe 20%? I pushed through because of all of the raving reviews. The author really wants to build up the story and there was a good balance of descriptive writing and dialogue. I’m pretty picky when it comes to that.

Once I got past that, oh man, that’s when it got good. See how I rat
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
4.5 Sounds, Letters and the Power of Love Stars

We're all immortal, as long as our stories are told

description

A paranormal romance only as Elizabeth Hunter can deliver...

description

Ava hears voices. For as long as she can remember. Voices, whispering and crying out, rejoicinStars
We're
Lonna | FLYLēF
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: The Scribe at FLYLeF (www.flylef.com)

THE SCRIBE, BY Elizabeth Hunter, is an exciting journey into a secret world of ancient evil and powerful magic set against the backdrop of an exotic and beautiful Istanbul.

Hidden at the crossroad of the world is an ancient and powerful race. An Irin’s magic is written; an Irina’s magic is spoken. Mated, they are nearly invincible. Except, the Irinas have vanished. Those who remain continue to protect humanity from the ravenous Grigori forces evenrel="nofollow">www.flylef.com)
THE
Meital
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, wonderful characters and the plot was great combined with Jewish mythology, Turkish archaeology, Hebrew and Persian words. The romance and the erotic moments also well written.
For most of my reading I was sure that I could only give it four stars, because I thought that there’s a lack of suspense, but from 76% of the book to its end I’ve decided that it deserves five stars. That ending definitely left me thrilled.
Paula
I travelled through Istanbul. I visited the markets, tasted the roasted almonds and smelled the spices. I enjoyed the breeze from the sea and I looked into Malachi’s eyes while he held me in his arms. And I did all of that from the comfort of my sofa through another amazing and fabulous book by Elizabeth Hunter – “The Scribe”. Elizabeth Hunter manages to take the reader on a journey where the world as we know it merges with a world of fantasies and ancient races. She makes us feel what the chara ...more
-ya
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The main setting: Istanbul

This city...it feeds the soul.

Malachi
The Irin, children of the Forgiven, are of the race of angels. An Irin scribe can see beneath the layers to every word ever written, and guard the humanity. Irin are servants on earth as their fathers were servants in the heaven.

Malachi was not only an Irin scribe but also a swoony warrior.

If you want to survive to see the dawn, come no closer. My dagger hungers for your neck.

Ava:
What do your whispers mea/>What/>If/>This
Brittany
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!!

“I think I’d pull down heaven,” she said, “if that’s what it took to keep you here with me.”
This was a pretty cool and different read. I really liked the whole plot idea and the magic system behind it. This is the first in a big series so a lot of it was setting up the system and the world. I wasn't the biggest fan of the MC Ava- I couldn't really find much personality, and she just seemed sort of dull to me. Malachi- Swoon- was very likable almost to the point that he was "Too Per/>
☕️Kimberly
Fair warning, while there is an overall story arc to the Irin Chronicles the romantic thread sharing the story of Ava Matheson and Malachi, Scribe Warrior takes place over the first three audiobooks. I am told the rest of the series offers HEA’s with each story.

Ava is a human who has heard voices her entire life. They come from everyone. Spoken in the same language all over the world. A language not known to man. She seeks solitude in remote place and travels the world freelancing as
Whitney
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've had this one on my kindle forever and I'm ashamed it took me so long to read it. As always, Elizabeth Hunter never disappoints. I tried to explain to my husband, as corny as possible, the difference between certain books to me. This is your favorite home cooked meal kind of book. No nasty fast food. Hunter's stories I just drop down in the middle of. Even though this is a new paranormal series, I never once felt overwhelmed with information or description. Hunter's vast background and resea ...more
Kate's Corner
Ms. Hunter has done it again. Now this new series has nothing to do with the Elemental Series but has Ms. Hunter has spun her magic in the series and I loved this BUT in the Scribe she really has outdone herself and i know that I should have waited until the whole series to come out but I am a sucker when it comes to Ms. Hunter

Ava is in her mid-twenties and for years she has been hearing voices, has been to numerable doctors and is slowly starting to think that she is crazy. Her mother and he
Kara-karina
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
This book doesn't read as a separate story, it reads as a beginning of something wonderful, and the ending especially confirms that impression.

The plot is woven around Istanbul and Cappadocia and stays atmospheric throughout. The middle part of the book feels a bit slow like there is not much happening, but the beginning and the end truly make up for it. All I can say, - prepare for the shock.

Ava is charismatic and unpredictable. You think she'd act one way bu
Theresa
5 Stars... The beauty in this book was simply breathtaking... The unique and enthralling storyline captured my attention from the beginning with the exquisite storytelling of the decedents of the Forgiven and the Fallen; weaving a tale of adventure, romance, and fantasy... Malachi and Ava have a compelling and captivating chemistry that grows in it’s beauty throughout the story leading to an ending filled with emotion and awe... I am fully invested in this series and eagerly anticipate getting m ...more
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Really, really good and inventive series!
Minni Mouse
4.25 stars rounded up because even though contemporary, paranormal urban fantasy is rarely my thing, I found this book enormously enjoyable. We have modern day Istanbul, action, humor, romance, and many secrets not yet revealed -- an adult fantasy with the pacing, entertainment, and sexiness of a YA fantasy.

Will this wow you with deeply lush writing? Challenge you with its morality or character choices! No, but it'll entertain.

THE GOOD
1) The plot pacing was fairly spot-on. Right at the part whe
Vilma Iris
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! It had great intrigue and romance. It was sexy, well written and suspenseful.

Just like with the Elemental Mysteries series, I was gripped from the very beginning, enticed by adventures in far away places. I can't wait to continue with the series!
Melindeeloo
Modern day Turkey, with its rich history and exotic flavor, makes for a fabulous setting for the long lived Irin race who provide the 'paranormal' for the paranormal aspect of this paranormal romance.

There are so many things that I loved about the story which follows travel photographer Ava - who has feared for her sanity due to the 'voices' she's always heard - as she discovers the existence of the Irin and the reason for her brand of 'insanity'. The mythos surrounding the Irin is a
Rosanna
DNF 61%

I just can't push through it anymore.

This book started off strong and I was sucked in for the first few chapters. What changed that for me was the MCs.

The heroine was nothing but a drama induced bitch. All she did was bitch, moan and argue about everything. With everyone.

The hero was was too soft for my reading preference. He lost his man card as soon as he met the heroine. The bitch would yell at him and h
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
June 2019 - This just never gets old for me. Malachi and Ava are two of my favorites.

October 2017 - I picked this up because I was between books and didn't know what to listen to. I was in the car driving and needed something, and I always keep this on my iPod for this very reason. I never, never get tired of this story . . . even the third time through!

January 2016 - I love this world, these characters, this writing. This is my second re-read and I've fallen in love with
Jessica
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: Annika
Original concept and the story kept my attention for the most part but I just don’t feel the chemistry between Ava and Malachi and don’t care enough about them to continue with this series. God, how often have I said this in the last couple of weeks? I seem to be having extreme difficulties caring about fictional characters these days so maybe take this review with a grain of salt. I’m still hung up on another series and almost impossible to please...
Crysa James
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting story. Fantastic plot. Awesome characters--so vulnerable and identifiable, yet strong and heroic. Love how this is a beginning of a series but you don't feel left hanging at the end. Just saying, after this book, Hunter is my newest favorite author.

• Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • Cursed (Fallen Siren, #1)
  • Amid the Winter Snow
  • Running Barefoot
  • Courage (Mark of Nexus, #2)
  • Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
  • Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1)
  • Child of Mercy (The Fallen, #4)
  • Strange Case (Hyde, #3)
  • Angelstone (Dark Angel, #2)
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • A Deadly Whisper (The Watchers, #1)
  • The Undying God
  • Ocean of Dust
  • Siren Song
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
ELIZABETH HUNTER is a USA Today and international bestselling author of romance, contemporary fantasy, and paranormal mystery. Based in Central California, she travels extensively to write fantasy fiction exploring world mythologies, history, and the universal bonds of love, friendship, and family.

She has published over thirty works of fiction and sold over a million books world-wide. She is the

Irin Chronicles (8 books)
  • The Singer (Irin Chronicles, #2)
  • The Secret (Irin Chronicles, #3)
  • The Staff and the Blade (Irin Chronicles, #4)
  • The Silent (Irin Chronicles, #5)
  • The Storm (Irin Chronicles, #6)
  • The Seeker (Irin Chronicles, #7)
  • Amid the Winter Snow
“Imagine a person created for you. Another being so in tune with you that their voice was the clearest you’ve ever heard in your mind.” 14 likes
“We’re all immortal, as long as our stories are told.” 11 likes