Start by marking “The Red Rider” as Want to Read:
The Red Rider

The Red Rider

Little Red Riding Hood is heading back into the woods to meet the big bad wolves …
But she’s not little anymore.

When she was seven years old, Helena Basque was attacked by a savage wolf that killed her Grand’Mere. Helena survived with triple scars that disfigured her face, and strange tales of a wolf that stood upright and spoke to her.
Now at age sixteen, she knows it was n
Published June 28th 2013 by Character Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Red Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Rider

Start your review of The Red Rider
C.S. Wachter
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I started this book my first thought was: Oh no! Not another first person female POV. I had read so many lately, and I was hoping for a change. But, to my surprise, Red’s voice wasn’t annoying, and she easily pulled me into her story. The book is well-written; a retelling of the old Red Riding Hood story with a twist and a much stronger Red. The action was steady and built to a good climax.

I did have a hard time with the amount of death that surrounded Red and the devastation to her spirit
Elizabeth Lavender
I enjoyed this different take on the Red Riding Hood story. The heroine, Helena, was an intriguing character, as she struggled between seeing herself as the helpless little girl again and then was forced to be the fearless protector to bring down the monsters in the night. Scars line her face from the attack, but it’s clear they have gone much deeper as time has passed. Ones that will destroy her if she’s not careful. That is if the “wolves” don’t tear her to pieces first. The story is fast-pace ...more
Sarah Ashwood
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came into this story not knowing what to expect, but sort of thinking it would be "just another" fairy tale retelling. Instead, it's a slam bang of a tale, full of grit and fire and fight and excitement, coupled with a young woman's struggle to be brave in the face of horrific fear. I really, really enjoyed the book's vivid descriptions. Overall, this is just a fresh, fantastic take on an old story. Can't wait for the sequels.
Jackie
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I can’t wait for the next one to come out.
A. Rick
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In kindle speak, a real screen swiper.

I woke up too early this morning to go back to sleep, so I started this book to pass a little time, then never put it down till I finished it. Missed breakfast and lunch, except for a handful of almonds and pistachios and a couple of glasses of water.

I can't wait to see what new inventions Pierre comes up with to help his favorite werewolf slayer.
Lorraine
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, paranormal
Very loosely based on the fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood.

In this story, Red (Helena) grows up and takes revenge on the wolves who scarred her, killed her Grand’Mere, and then the rest of her family.

The Red Rider is dark, action-packed, and suspenseful. It has many twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat.

Red is a strong and determined character, but she also has an innocent and vulnerable side. I was rooting for her from the beginning of the book right up to the last page, and
Hannah Avem Lepus
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved that the main character, while definitely not perfect, was of such a strong character that she took on what was basically a suicide mission, to save a town full of people that really just seemed to want her dead. And the fact that she found someone who loved her seemingly for the reason everyone else hated her, it was great. I loved all the danger and action. And I always love it when the main character is the hero who everyone underestimates until they witness their strength and ability ...more
Brianna
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Red Rider was different from most of the fantasy I pick up, but it was a fantastic adventure! Helena, the protagonist, is an engaging heroine, and I really enjoyed the relationships she had with others in her community. Those relationships evolve considerably over the course of the story, and seeing how people respond to Helena coming into her own was quite rewarding. While I guessed the nature of Helena's enemies early in the story, the battles that resulted between Helena and the wolves we ...more
Norman
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent in the nature of Red Riding Hood. Helena Basque left scarred by a wolf when she young swore to settle her score with the wolves as she grew older. It would would not be and easy chore since she was female but she was a fast learner with the cross bow and when her parets and little sister were killed it made her stronger but could she stand against all the wolves after she found out they were really citizens of the village who could change into wolves. Well worth reading.
Marjorie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The wolves might have taken her face, her friends, and her family but they will never take her will to fight. She will not rest until every last one of them is accounted for and defeated.

This Red Riding Hood has far more in common with Van Helsing than the children's fairy tale and the heroine's aim puts Katniss to shame.

Although taking place in 18th century France, this reminded me a bit of Buffy as well. This story is action filled, fast paced with interesting character interaction. Given the
Tania Fitzgerald
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, suspenseful brilliant retelling of Red Riding Hood. How the beautiful, innocent child Helena, becomes the scarred, determined, skilful hunter of wolves. How the stuff of nightmares becomes reality for a whole community, and a young woman's strength and overwhelming desire to completely destroy the terror that haunts her dreams and waking moments. A dark tale of wolves and black magic.
Powerful imagery, wonderful storytelling
I was given this book for an honest review, and thoroughly rec
A.K. Preston
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of us have probably come across the story of Little Red Riding at some point during our childhood. The Red Rider can be read as a legitimate sequel that takes things in an entirely new direction. Get ready to see the classic tale reimagined as you’ve never seen it before. What if the “wolf” was something else entirely? Something far more sinister – and only one of many?

What if Red Riding Hood hunted werewolves?

The above premise is what instantly drew me in to this book. I consider The Red R
Buttercupp77
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In this story, set nearly a decade after the Little Red Riding Hood's first encounter with a big bad wolf, Helena (as she's known) has become a werewolf hunter. Although she seems to be tolerated by her village, she feels the outcast. Still, she is determined to rid the community of the threat, even as she faces a stronger foe than she's ever encountered.

The basic elements that I look for in a story were present, although I wanted more from, well, all of them. In part, the feeling of elements no
Becky Baldridge
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all know the story of Little Red Riding Hood, but this dark tale paints Red in a new light. Helena has every reason to hide in a corner and never go outside again. Instead, she's tough and determined, even as a child, and becomes even more so as she moves toward adulthood.
As I've come to expect from this author, The Red Rider is packed full of heart racing, edge of your seat action. But, it's so much more than that. The story is quite dark and heartbreaking with Helena losing so much, but he
Peter  Younghusband
I was asked by the author to review this novel before its release. I am glad I did. I find that with fairy tale retellings it can either be a hit or miss. With this new offering by Randall, it is a hit!

Randall writes well and has constructed a world that is believable and imaginative. You know the storyline is set in France and rural France at that. He has depicted the small-town mentality of the people and of the era. They know each other, rely on each other, a close community and their civilit
Wayne Scace
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
S.K. Wee
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helena has been ostracized by the townspeople because of the gruesome scars across her face. When she was younger, a wolf killed her grandmother and scarred her for life. Helena knows the wolves are unique but no one seems to believe her story. More and more people are found dead, partially eaten by the dangerous creatures but there doesn’t seem to be anyone with enough courage to fight back. After losing nearly everything, Helena takes up the red riding cloak, seeking vengeance.
Helena is a wond
LeAnn Mason
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are in the fence about fairytale retellings, this story will put your feet firmly in the 'pro' camp, as it did mine. This is an extremely engaging reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood, where the scared little girl grows up a determined, though scarred and isolated wolf hunter. Only these aren't ordinary wolves...
The plot and twists are intriguing and the story very well told. I was constantly on edge waiting for what came next, how would Helena escape the wolves' clutches this time and w
Buttercup1201
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A different take on little red riding hood.

Helena was a little girl when she was attacked by a wolf that killed her Grand’Mere. She was scarred and left for dead. She was saved by a friend. Her parents tired their best to raise her as a normal child but villagers were cruel. Helena grows up, is an excellent hunter and now has her sights on hunting the wolves the killed her Grand’Mere and others in the village. She knows these are not your average wolves and will do anything to protect the ones s
Lisa Kader
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I recommend this book to everyone that liked the fairy tale of little red riding hood when they were a child. This book will having you believing that fairy tales can come true. It has everything you are looking for in a book intrigue, mystery, and suspense. Once you start to read this book you won't put it down until you have finished it. I have never read anything from this author before but he has a fan of his work now. I asked to read this book for an honest review. Randel ...more
Ami
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a marvelous retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. I was amazed at how the author wove the original story into excellent version. There is so much more to this tale of Red and it is packed with action. The world was so real to me I could see it in my mind. The characters are extremely well-described and I love the ending. I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this ebook from the author and this is my honest and freely given opinion.
Ana
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I read recently. The history is so well done, and give another look of the Grim's Brother fairytale. ;)
Helena is a realistic heroine with fears and insecurity.
I started my reading and if I didn't have anything more to do, I probably could read all book in a day, because it's a reading holds you and makes you lose track of time.
I'm curious of the second book, what Helena will do with the Lycanthru? Will she meet another wolf as Grenault?
Starting now, the second book to discover it
Eileen Copeland
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red Riding Hood grows up

Helena the main character must face her fears and the source of her childhood trauma when the wolf attacked and killed her grandmother. Intriguing story that will keep you engaged. I thought the climax left something to be desired though. I also spotted p!aces where words were used repetitively. Overall a good read especially if you lean towards violent and dark tales with comic relief. Good characters. Unexpected twists and surprises.
Genelle Themann
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Red Riding Hood is one kick *** heroine!!

I don't think I can view the fairy tales of my childhood in the same way ever again! From a series of horrible losses blamed on wolves, "Red" has to pull herself up from the lowest of the lows. Her entire family has been stalked and murdered, as well as a close friend of the family. The wolves are not normal in that "Red" has heard them speak and walk on two legs. But she will not be deterred in her search for revenge. GO GET 'EM RED!!
Shannon McDermott
The truth is that if I were into horror, I would give another star to this book. This novel is fantasy/fairy tale with horror elements, and your enjoyment of it will turn, in large part, on your enjoyment of horror.
Nancy
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling - I was given an ARC for an honest review of this novella. The action was thrilling, strong storyline and protagonist. Other than wanting more, I enjoyed this read.
Missy Wilkerson
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I totally loved this twist to Red Riding Hood. It was such a great read it kept me interested in the story and I couldn't out the book down.
Kym McNabney
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I began to read THE RED RIDER by RANDALL ALLEN DUNN, I had no idea the ride I was embarking upon. Typically a romance reader of books involving a guy with a cowboy hat, I had my doubts. To my surprise, MR DUNN captured my attention, taking me on an amazing adventure.

"Red"/Helena Basque, is not your typical female. Scarred for life from an early age, the nearby villagers did little to make her feel loved, much less accepted, with the exception of one person. The blacksmith's son, Pierre Leon
Jane
The Red Rider is a retelling of the story of Little Red Riding Hood by Randall Allen Dunn. I found it pretty clichéd and extremely slow starting. As a child, Helena is attacked and scarred by a wolf. Her Grand Mere is killed. I grew tired of the hints that it was no ordinary wolf and was ready for the story to move forward.

I did not feel the author did a very good job of capturing the mind of an 8-year-old girl or the behavior of a 4-year-old girl. After the slow start, the author suddenly dumps
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Red Riding Hood is one of my favorite stories.
D. A. Randall is imaginative and gives you the chance to root for vengeance!!

***I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review,***

• Alfheim Seoul
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • False Security (Death Before Dragons #5)
  • Elven Doom (Death Before Dragons, #4)
  • Tangled Truths (Death Before Dragons, #3)
  • Battle Bond (Death Before Dragons, #2)
  • Wolves and Daggers (Steampunk Red Riding Hood #1)
  • A Thousand Faces (A Thousand Faces, #1)
  • Misfit City Vol. 1
  • Savage Beauty
  • Alice the Dagger: An Alice in Wonderland Retelling
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Brutal Curse
  • Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme, #2)
  • Brave Chef Brianna
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1
  • Captive Hearts of Oz, Vol. 1
  • Captive Hearts of Oz Vol. 4
Randall Allen Dunn a.k.a. D.A. Randall

Randall Allen Dunn was raised on a steady diet of James Bond, Batman, Star Trek and Indiana Jones. He writes stories of action, adventure, and infinite possibility, as well as instructional books about writing.
You can follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Goodreads and YouTube, and follow his Packing Action blog at www.RandallAllenDunn.com.
Please send c