Start by marking “Journey's End” as Want to Read:
Journey's End

Journey's End

The town of Journey's End may not literally be at the end of the world, but it sure feels like it to Nolie Stanhope. Spending the summer with her scientist father in the tiny Scottish village isn't exactly Nolie's idea of a good time, but she soon finds a friend: native Journey's Ender Bel McKissick.

While Nolie's father came to Journey's End to study the Boundary--a
Published October 25th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Journey's End
Bree
Sep 26, 2013 marked it as to-read
A new book (most definitely will turn into a series/trilogy - bet on it)...By Rachel Hawkins...?

Rachel Hawkins has fast become one of my favourite authors!
I flew through her Hex Hall babies like that! *snaps fingers!*
Her writing is entertainment at its best, I just dig her style so much!
So its a no-brainer why I'm completely ecstatic to read this new book by her.

Just...one problem!

ITS BEING RELEASED IN FREAKING 2015!!!

Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

I have heard the authors Rebel Belle series and was excited to read this. It did not disappoint! This was so much fun and cute! Slightly creepy and perfect to read during Halloween.

I loved all the characters relationships! With each other and their family. The mystery was interesting and while I did see some of the coming I enjoyed it. I would not mind reading a sequel with these characters.

I really hope this author continues to write more middle grade. Highly recommend to MG fans.
Richard Cardenas
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-top-books-2
Now that was a fun read! After "Small Spaces" left me a little bored, I hoped this one wasn't going to follow up and toss me into a reading slump but I'm here to say it didn't! In fact it lifted me right up and has me even more excited to pick up another book from my TBR this moth. If you love ghost stories and books about friendship, this is a perfect read. I loved the sea-side setting and the spooky and thrilling moments this book had. If I had to compare this I'd say it's The Fog meets ...more
Rashika (is tired)
***This review was also posted on Xpresso Reads

Are you looking for a spoopy read for the Halloween season? Have you considered picking up a delightful middle-grade Halloween-esque novel? If so, consider reading this charming novel. I am a huge fan of Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall and Rebel Belle series' so I was all about this book but it wasn't quite what I expected (not in a bad way.) It has a lot of the fun feel from her YA books but the characters don't sound the exact same and I LOVE that. They
Marie the Librarian
This book is magical and enchanting in the best way. I love the friendship between Nolie, Al and Bel. I also love the mystery and spookyness of Journey's End and I like that its set in Scotland. Its just a really good childrens fantasy novel!
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
This cover caught my eye on a recent trip to a local independent bookstore. This middle grade story follows a young girl visiting her father for a summer in the tiny village of Journey's End, Scotland. Her father works at The Institute, a science-based organization studying a mysterious fog that hovers off the coast of the village. When Nolie arrives at Journey's End, things are changing. The fog, called The Boundary by the locals, is the stuff of legend -- those who venture into it never ...more
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Sweet, old-fashioned, uncomplicated, and somehow very comforting. <3
Leah
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read; it was a cute story about friendship. The story behind the fog was a minor plot point, but I still found it interesting. I was hoping it would have been a bigger part of the story, though. I like that there was magic and a ghost involved in the story. Also, I liked the ending. There was closure, but there is the possibility of a sequel, if the author decides to write one.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
As per usual, I picked Journeys End on a whim from the review audiobook list, mostly because Ive heard good stuff about Rachel Hawkins. Journeys End is just to the positive side of okay, pleasant but not at all complex.

Plot-wise, you pretty much know whats going on in Journeys End from the very start and then just sit around and wait for the characters to catch on. In terms of world building, its thin. Id say its almost more magical realism than paranormal or fantasy, were it not for the
Kara
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This was really cute, but I wanted more character development. There were also a few plot inconsistencies that I really hope were worked out by the time this book went to print.

I will say that I really enjoy Rachel Hawkins' writing. It speaks to me on a person level; it's a good balance of imagery and storytelling with delightful turns of phrase. This is her first middle grade, and if she intends to stay in this age category for a little bit, I have no doubt that her next book will be better. I
Amelia
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
ARC courtesy of Edelweiss.

No indication yet as far as I'm aware that this will be the beginning of a series, but I hope that even though this is a self-contained story, Rachel Hawkins will come back to these three characters again, or even a few more times. This book is a cute middle grade paranormal story with hints of mystery and a giant heap of friendship, for fans of the Lockwood & Co. books who want something a little less terrifying.
Karen Sutanto
Aug 06, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-2015
omfg this book sounds

A M A Z I N G !!!

...

2015??!?!?! 2015?!?!?! TWENTY FIFTEEN?!?!?

description
Isabelle
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was so upset when I was pages away from the end and realized that I could have been giving the characters Scottish accents the entire time.
Carina Olsen
I enjoyed this story a lot, and the characters were pretty great. While I didn't fully love this book, aw, I'm really glad that I read it. Because the mystery was interesting and I liked the place it was set in. A tiny Scottish village, our time. It was exciting. There is a bit of magic, which was awesome. And such an interesting story.

I don't know how much I'm going to write about this book, as it was pretty short, and I don't want to talk about all the things that happened, as there weren't
Cat
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, books just get caught in the shuffle....Waaay over do for a review! This was one fun ride! I think kids 3rd grade up are going to like this one (though most have already discovered the story and others by Rachel Hawkins..)! Lot of magic and fairies and a good mystery to be solved. I finally finished reading it over the weekend when I was going through my to be read bookcase and recognized it's title as one I needed to finish, pronto! Sometimes life just gets in the way of my ...more
Stephanie Braswell
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I teach 6th graders and I try to thoroughly read most of the books I add to my classroom library. THIS BOOK HOOKED ME, an adult, from start to finish. I love the Scottish setting and the mystical vs science debate present in this beautiful story! It will be the first book I feature in my reading spotlight this school year!
Angie Stanton
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just discovered Rachel Hawkin's sassy contemporary book and couldn't wait to read more. Journey's End was a wonderful MG book with engaging characters, a bit of time travel (my fave!), and plenty of adventure.
Jasmine
A really excellent spooky Middle Grade. I read it in like an hour because i was desperate to know what happens next. Families gone adrift in boats just hits a little close to home for me.
Sami
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Southerner and amateur ghost hunter Nolie Stanhope isn't thrilled to be spending her summer vacation with her father in the Scottish village Journey's End. This changes when she becomes friends with Bel McKissick, and discovers a mysterious fog bank called the Boundary. When Albert Etheridge, who disappeared in 1914, reappears in the fog with no memory of how he got there, and other people start disappearing, it's up to Nolie and Bel to save the village. Journey's End is a fun, fast paced book ...more
Erin
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Rachel Hawkins first foray into middle grade fiction. As a fan of her YA novels, it was wonderful to see her translate her trademark humor and wit for a middle grade audience. Additionally, the story itself is equal parts fun, compelling, and mysterious making it a great choice for avid and reluctant readers. All in all - I look forward to seeing what Ms. Hawkins has in store for middle grade readers in the future, because this one was an absolute delight! :)
Jennybeast
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Possibly the most excellent "what I did on my summer vacation" story ever -- ghosts, a wall of fog that people vanish into, the highlands of Scotland, and three unexpected friends making the most of summer. The kids are funny, the adventure is worrying, and the book is really hard to put down. I really enjoyed it.

Advanced Reader's Copy provided by Edelweiss.
Scribs
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun.

It took me a while to adjust to reading a middle grade book (it's been a while) but I found the voices very age appropriate and believable. The mystery was fun and (again) didn't stretch the limits of believability too far. Cute. I've always been a fan of Rachel Hawkins, and I was glad to see her write an engaging, clean middle grade book.
Holly
Nov 14, 2014 marked it as to-read-ya-mg-modern
So, this sounds awesome. I haven't read any of Rachel Hawkins' YA books yet....should I?
Sarah Bell
May 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
Scottish highlands?! Definitely will be reding this book! :)
Morgan Ashley
Feb 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Excited to read this, even though there is no info. This is my 'bet book' of the year.
Isabell Maria
Jan 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
If Rachel Hawkins is the author, you bet I will be reading it!
Heather
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully atmospheric novel for middle grades. I highly recommend it (and will, in fact, be buying it for my nephews).
Hoby Ashley
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I revived this book from a Goodreads giveaway. I am older than the intended audience (I hoped to get this book in order to add it to my library for my daughter to read when she is old enough).

Journey's End is a fun tell of the adventures of a young girl, Nolie, and her adventurous summer visiting her dad. It was a pleasure to read about Nolie and her new friends and how they work through some very unexpected events. I would recommend this book to any up and coming reader. The book
Erica Elwell
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It is beautifully written yet easy to read!

The way three different stories are all woven together to tell on fantastic story is amazing! I connected with the characters and was rooting for them all.

I also really appreciated that along with the magical aspects of the stories there were real and very believable things that happened to the characters. One girl deals with her parents divorce, one has a friend that has grown apart from her, and they both face fears. I love that the
Sophia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Journeys End
Rachel Hawkins
11/1/18

The book Journeys End is a mysterious and thrilling book about a girl named Nollie who moves to Journeys End with her father for the summer. During that time Nollie finds a friend named Bell who lives on the island with her family and owns a gift shop for all the tourist. The two of them start to see very suspicious things with the fog that is moving closer to shore. This fog is supposedly magic and if someone goes past the fog they will disappear and they could
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mark of the Plague (The Blackthorn Key, #2)
  • アオハライド 2 (Ao Haru Ride, #2)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 2 (Strobe Edge, #2)
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 1 (Strobe Edge, #1)
  • Counting Thyme
  • Dying for Rain (The Rain Trilogy, #3)
  • Fighting for Rain (The Rain Trilogy, #2)
  • Ignore It!: How Selectively Looking the Other Way Can Decrease Behavioral Problems and Increase Parenting Satisfaction
  • Museum of Thieves (The Keepers, #1)
  • Because of the Rabbit
  • Race to the Sun
  • Culture Jam: How To Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must
  • The Essential Retirement Guide: A Contrarian's Perspective
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • Zoe in Wonderland
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • Super Human (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #4)
  • Pi in the Sky