Start by marking “Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  2,574 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
Biz Stone, the co-founder of Twitter, discusses the power of creativity and how to harness it, through stories from his remarkable life and career.

THINGS A LITTLE BIRD TOLD ME

From GQ's "Nerd of the Year" to one of Time's most influential people in the world, Biz Stone represents different things to different people. But he is known to all as the creative, effervescent, fun
Published April 1st 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

Ryan Dejonghe
Apr 01, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it it was amazing
THINGS A LITTLE BIRD TOLD ME by Biz Stone has done two things for me: left me inspired, and convinced me that Mr. Stone is a nice, cool, and interesting guy. In fact, reading this book reminded me of Chris Hadfield’s AN ASTRONAUT’S GUIDE TO LIFE ON EARTH. Through determination, mental projection, and a bit of luck, amazing things can happen. Or, so we are lead to believe.

This book goes through the life of Biz Stone from the time he was living in his mom’s basement with his girlfriend, tens of th
Suzanne
May 26, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I don't know why, but I love reading about techies. I also love the entrepreneurial spirit. So I found this book both interesting and inspiring. There's nothing super profound in this book, but it's filled with lots of truisms about creativity, passion and empathy. It was a book that I could read in chunks, which I always appreciate. I enjoyed it.
Samra Muslim
May 23, 2014 Samra Muslim rated it really liked it
I love twitter and for that reason alone reading this book was a lot of fun for me - how the social network came along, the back stories of the founder and how it evolved were extremely intriguing a read!

At the same time, I enjoyed what Biz Stone had to say, his perspective to work, giving and being user/customer centric are all I personally feel extremely strongly about and thus to me the book connected, touched and brought immense pleasure. A lot of my feelings finally got put into words

The
Olubukola
"I'm a talker", Stone says several times in this book, and you better believe it. I enjoyed reading this book; I laughed and learned valuable lessons about life and business. I also like the author's practice of adding or showcasing the humane side of a business.
Joe Kovacs
Jun 16, 2014 Joe Kovacs rated it it was amazing
The first three-quarters of this book are pretty damn perfect. Biz Stone's journey to and through his founding of Twitter with Jack Dorsey, of discovering its potential by observing how others used it (especially during the 2007 SXSW conference) and by watching its national and international ramifications unfold is pretty spellbinding. He is frank about his economic troubles before Twitter, dedicated to his girlfriend and then wife, Livvy, with whom he shared all the challenges and joys of his l ...more
Allison Arthur
Apr 16, 2014 Allison Arthur rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
I read Biz Stone's new book cover to cover in one sitting. He shares stories of failing and misstepping yet never straying his instincts, which has inspired me to reevaluate my priorities - personally and professionally.

The last 50 pages focus on his altruism and vision of a better world. He explains how the neutral sharing of information can improve situations for those less fortunate. I found Biz's chapter titled "A New Definition for Capitalism" particularly enlightening. It shifted my view o
Maryam
May 23, 2014 Maryam rated it it was amazing
I simply loved it! The author not only talked about his life and twitter, he gave really valuable life lessons for us all,he got a great sense of humor too :) Biz Stone is definetly going to be my new inspiration and role model to leave my mark in this world.
Gabriella
Apr 04, 2014 Gabriella rated it really liked it
(I received a digital copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.)

"Things a Little Bird Told Me" is not your average business book. I see it more as a creative memoir of Biz's life and times. He was one of the four original co-founders of Twitter (Evan, Jack, and Noah were the others). Biz starts by taking us through his somewhat surreal initial hiring at Google (helped by Evan, who became a close friend), then his jumping ship to Evan's new startup Odeo, and then the birth of Twitter, w
Angie
May 11, 2014 Angie rated it liked it

37% memoir
54% self-help/inspiration
33% philanthropy
0% math

Super quick read about the founding of Twitter, its triumphs and failures, touches of Stone's personal life and lots and lots of his personal philosophies.

If you're looking for the big answer as to how to become a giant success in the tech industry, I'll sum it up for you:

Keep trying till something sticks and don't be afraid to walk away from huge opportunities if they don't feel right.Good job at Google? Walk away. Half of a billion doll
Meagan
Mar 05, 2014 Meagan rated it liked it
So what does Biz Stone have to write a book about? He was there. He showed up. Sometimes, when someone needed a nudge, he nudged.

I am not entirely sure whether the great takeaway is supposed to be that even when you aren't a technical genius or a business guru, you can still be in the room, or whether I think Twitter is really kind of pointless. (I actually use Facebook messenger a lot. I am sure Facebook would love to put me in a focus group to find out why, and how they can make more people l
Cristiana
Jul 07, 2014 Cristiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An infusion of optimism with a reality check towards the end. A very good book on how to build a "social" brand and a well told story about the power of the consumers to change things for the better, if given the chance.
Nadia King
Jan 20, 2017 Nadia King rated it liked it
Some great messages contained in this book.

My favourite quote:
"I discovered early on that it was better to make my own destiny."
Ghislain
Mar 31, 2017 Ghislain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technologie
J'ai tout simplement adoré. Je me souviens que Biz Stone en 2009 m'avait fait forte impression alors que Twitter n'était qu'à ses débuts (je suis arrivé sur ce réseau en décembre 2009 avant de le quitter en octobre 2014...). Le livre est autant intéressant pour découvrir les premiers pas de l'oiseau bleu ; que pour vivre la naissance de plusieurs start-ups comme Blogger ou Medium ; mais aussi pour mieux se convaincre de l'intérêt du croisement entre humanités et technologie.
Rik Schnabel
Mar 29, 2017 Rik Schnabel rated it it was amazing
This was given to me by my accountant and i enjoyed Biz's narrative thoroughly. For anyone who is in business and cares about the world they live in - this is a valuable perspective. i highly recommend it. Biz you are a caring and creative genius!
Sam Angari
May 10, 2014 Sam Angari rated it liked it
*Late-night writing, not refined*
I was first introduced to Biz through my following to Jack Dorsey on Twitter. As Jack is a co-founder of this corporate, I was intrigued to know about the other co-founders. A little Google search did the basic job until, months later, I came across a tweet from Jack introducing Biz's new book!

I find it fascinating, interesting, and so much remarkable knowing about stories of huge successes that grew out from potential failures. It holds comfort to us that sto
Almas Nasar
May 15, 2014 Almas Nasar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own, reviewed
"The other thing I ll say about money is that having a lot of it amplifies who you are.I have found this to be almost universally true.If you are a nice person, and then you get money, you become a wonderful philanthropist.But if you are an asshole with lots of money you can afford to be more of an asshole"

Easily a 5 starer!

Its mostly a stroke of amazing luck to find a fulfilling companion during your dark days.I plucked this one during my exams when my patience and attention were seeing themsel
André Bueno
Jul 06, 2016 André Bueno rated it really liked it
Notes:
Creativity depends on direction and boundaries can allow us to become more creative. You have to believe in yourself, no one else will. The only way to fix an issue is to be transparent that there are things that need to get done and to simply get started as soon as possible. We can't be scared to fail if we hope to succeed- the more we try something the closer we get to its actual achievement. Failure is inevitable so we should learn to deal with that feeling so we could move forward. Al
Doreen
Nov 06, 2014 Doreen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nick, Kate, Steph, Matt, Laura, Melissa, Ashley, Gerry, Diane
Recommended to Doreen by: Saw it at the library
The reason may be that I'm 'technology-challenged', but I REALLY enjoyed reading this book! The author is co-founder of Twitter. In this book he recaps his ascent from a young man who finesses his way out of doing homework, to a successful businessman, marching to the beat of his own keystrokes! Add to that his above-par writing ability, and hence the high rating! I know he continues to experiment; perhaps he will create and nurture another amazing concept for the masses. I do hope that he conti ...more
Carol Cooney
Apr 22, 2014 Carol Cooney rated it really liked it
Biz Stone is a likeable guy. He starts out with nothing. He seems to be the least likely guy to make it in the tech business. He does have some personal attributes that make him not only likable but despite economic hardships, a prime candidate to succeed. He believes in making his own opportunities, he is interested in people, he communicates well, and he wants things to work.

This was a very interesting read.
Juliana Stock
Apr 18, 2014 Juliana Stock rated it it was amazing
Books like this can either be awesome or self-congratulating and name-droppy so I was cautiously optimistic and a bit wary. I have to say, I read the entire book in three sittings and was sad it ended. Totally humble, endearing, insightful and honest. I loved it and whole-heartedly recommend to anyone looking to be inspired, regardless of industry, passion or sector.
Chris Ogunlowo
Sep 15, 2015 Chris Ogunlowo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About the coolest book on the intrigues, uncertainties & triumphs of being a creative entrepreneur. This should be an essential read for anyone with interest in the crossroads of creativity, business, empathy & a healthy belief in possibilities. Insightful. It's funny too. (I can't stop laughing at the build up towards visiting Facebook & the depiction of Mark Zuckerberg).
Kayla
Apr 11, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing
*Received this in a Goodreads giveaway*
I'm not a Twitter user, but I found this part-memoir, part-"how to be successful" book to be quite inspiring. The way he was able to bring empathy, generosity, and integrity into his company is why it became so successful. Overall, it's a quick read & I enjoyed it a lot.
MGMaudlin
Apr 29, 2014 MGMaudlin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
A surprisingly light and shallow depiction of the rise of Twitter with admonitions on how to remain human and good while succeeding. I would like to have more of the details, such as more context and the substantative debates surrounding important decisions. It is still a fun, quick, and interesting read simply because Twitter is such an iconic company. Enjoy.
Steve
Apr 22, 2014 Steve added it
Shelves: steve, business

by Biz Stone

240 pages

This is a feel good business memoir by the founder of Twitter. Will likely appeal to folks who like to read business and/or self-help books. Expect a lots of truisms, like follow your dreams, be persistant, etc. This may reach best-seller status, if well reviewed in popular press.
William
May 21, 2014 William rated it it was amazing
Great read and inspiring on so many levels. It is refreshing to read about an entrepreneur who puts people and causes above profits. It is a unique book written in a thoroughly endearing style. I'd like to meet the man behind Twitter and now Jelly. I highly recommend this book for creatives, entrepreneurs and anyone who uses Twitter.
Defneandac
May 25, 2014 Defneandac rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I'm a Twitter addict and loved reading the story about its co-founder. The book is full of funny and inspiring stories and life-business lessons. Very readable even if you are not interested in tech world. I recommend it highly.
Zaii Rs
Excelente historia de cómo se alcanza el éxito, no sólo buscar oportunidades, sino también crearlas y aprender del uso constante de nuestra creatividad para mejorar al mundo.
Alex Salamakha
Apr 19, 2014 Alex Salamakha rated it really liked it
Generally startup books are about individuals-leaders while Biz's book is about collaboration and fun on the way. Good book from a good-hearted person. Recommended!
Chandan Chaurasia
Feb 09, 2015 Chandan Chaurasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motivation
An inspiring motivating journey to the world of creativity, taking risk and doing what you love the most.
Mike Han
Jun 06, 2016 Mike Han rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, technology
Awesome story telling, witty jokes and a great personality delivering lessons of twitter.
  • Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America
  • The Hypomanic Edge: The Link Between (A Little) Craziness and (A Lot of) Success in America
  • Startup Boards: Getting the Most Out of Your Board of Directors
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
  • Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing
  • Jony Ive: The Genius Behind Apple's Greatest Products
  • Startup Growth Engines: Case Studies of How Today's Most Successful Startups Unlock Extraordinary Growth
  • Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation
  • Schooled: How the System Breaks Teachers
  • The Arrow Finds Its Mark: A Book of Found Poems
  • Will It Fly?: How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don't Waste Your Time and Money
  • The Intel Trinity: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company
  • Without Their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed
Christopher Isaac "Biz" Stone (born March 10, 1974) is a co-inventor and co-founder of Twitter, Inc and also helped to create and launch Xanga, Blogger, Odeo, The Obvious Corporation and Medium. In 2012, Stone co-founded a start-up called Jelly Industries where he serves as CEO. The release of the Jelly app, a Q&A platform that relies on images, was officially announced in January 2014.

Stone g