Start by marking “Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Nuclear brinksmanship. Psychological warfare. Spies, double agents, femme fatales, and dead drops...
The Cold War–a terrifying time when nuclear war between the world’s two superpowers was an ever-present threat, an all-too-real possibility that could be set off at the touch of a button–provides a chilling backdrop to this collection of brand new short stories from today’s
Published April 1st 2014 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold

Start your review of Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War
Tracey the Bookworm
The Honey Trap:2/5
House of a Thousand Eyes: 4/5
A Neighbour’s Story: 3/5
Show Stopper:

I didn’t like all the stories but some were really well done. Overall I give the book 3 stars.
Gloria Feit
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery Writers of America regularly ask some of the best-known authors in the thriller/mystery genre to contribute to a collection of short stories on a single theme, with the proceeds funding the organization. This volume, edited by Jeffery Deaver and Raymond Benson, is based on the Cold War, so it is no surprise that several take place in the divided city of Berlin and its famous Wall as a center piece. For example, Alan Cook wrote a story on how a father smuggled a young daughter from Ea ...more
Bill Sullivan
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in a recent giveaway. I would have gladly paid full price for it. Ice Cold is a wonderful collection ofshort stories set throughout the Cold War. There is something for everyone and great twists and turns. There are a variety of authors and they do a remarkable job. Please read this book today. You will not regret it.
Matt
As the end of the year draws near, I thought that I might read and review a few short stories from this collection:

Police Report, by Joseph Finder.
When Chief of Police Henry Silva receives a call from dispatch about a body, he jumps into action. After he learns that the perpetrator is with the body and awaits the authorities, Silva speeds over to investigate. Ray Richardson awaits Silva's arrival and is more than happy to explain why he killed Vladimir Polowski. Silva is led away from the scene
Dave
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun collection of spy stories, all set during The Cold War.
From the late 50s, up to the late 1980s, these stories are all good reads.
For me there was not a clunker in the bunch.
Anirban
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Short story collection is always a mixed bag. There are stories which would keep me awake for the right reasons, and then there would be those which would make me wonder, why the story was ever written. Some would really make me search for missing pages as the stories would just abruptly end.

Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War, edited by Raymond benson and Jeffrey Deaver starts on a promising note. The opening was great with a Jeffrey Deaver quickie.
Alan Cook
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure: I have a story in ICE COLD ("Checkpoint Charlie"). However, there are 19 other stories, so I can talk about those. My reason for liking books of this type is, to paraphrase several quotes, those who don't study history are condemned to repeat the mistakes made by others. With that in mind, I'll comment on some of the themes.

Jeffery Deaver takes us back to the assassination of John Kennedy, writing with his patented twist, and with something important to say about politics.

Other
Megan
This collection of short stories was a fun read and offered an excellent assortment of tales centering around the theme of the Cold War. Some stories were set during that timeframe, while others had contemporary settings that linked back to that period of time. Similarly, the stories had diverse settings and offered unique viewpoints. I thoroughly enjoyed all of these stories and would have a hard time picking a favorite. If forced to choose, I'd say that "The Everyday Housewife" (full disclosur ...more
Bettie
Apr 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
Description: Nuclear brinksmanship. Psychological warfare. Spies, double agents, femme fatales, and dead drops.

The Cold War--a terrifying time when nuclear war between the world's two superpowers was an ever-present threat, an all-too-real possibility that could be set off at the touch of a button--provides a chilling backdrop to this collection of all-new short stories from today's most celebrated mystery writers.

Bestselling authors Jeffery Deaver and Raymond Benson--the only American writers t
Mike Gowan
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like to read the shorter works sometimes and then go on to read novels by the authors I like. In this selection, I liked The Honey Trap the most. The theme of the Cold War is one that appeals to me as an early boomer. I'm nostalgic for the tiny desks that we school kids would put our heads under. I got in trouble for not being able to shut up when we were supposed to be putting our foreheads on our lockers.
Dave Allen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good, breezy collection of short stories here. Each of the stories here touch on the Cold War - some directly, others only tangentially. A few clunk along awkwardly, with the words 'comrade' and 'capitalism' forced in repeatedly to the point of distraction. But the majority avoid the Boris and Natasha theatrics for more personal takes on the era. The ones that stuck with me include Police Report (Joseph Finder), Show Stopper (Gigi Vernon) and Crush Depth (Brendan Dubois).

Overall, a good, breez
Larry
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have an affinity for espionage stories, as I do, you will likely find this book pleasing. Twenty stories set in the tense years of the Cold War—or told in characters’ remembrance—by such authors as Jeffery Deaver, Raymond Benson, J.A. Jance, Joseph Finder, Robert Mangeot, Gayle Lynds, Alan Cook, and more provide plenty of cloak-and-dagger skullduggery, as well as insight into the mindsets of both Cold Warriors and ordinary citizens facing the threats. Excellent anthology.
Dave
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a collection of believable stories from the Cold War. Most of them started out with, what appeared to be absolutely normal families, which fell apart. The Soviets were enemies but not demonized. Americans had their own flaws, some significant. So it was not good vs. evil but two super powers that were mortal enemies. Many of the stories left you hanging in some way.
Kristen Lewendon
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. It took me to a place in world history I don’t know very much about and made me think in different ways about the parts of that history I thought I did know. I found the stories in this anthology to be creative, thought-provoking, and, in some cases, downright haunting. Spanning the globe, they’re all very different even though they all deal with much of the same source material.
Clayton Yuen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're going to read short stories, then you've got to get some pizzazz quick, soon, right away. These "cold war" short stories did just that .... a quick fix on espionage and intrigue.

Four stars only because there were a couple of stories that were blah, but there were also some very good adventures .....
John Walker
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting collection of spy stories that run the gambit from the Kennedy assassination, Ernest Hemingway's fixation with Cuba and the FBI, plus just average people caught up in the spy game as written by Jeffrey Deaver, Sara Paretsky, Katherine Neville, J.A. Jance and Raymond Benson. Plus a hosts of others. All good and to keep the reader in suspense.
Nyssy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Nostalgic to a point t then you remember all the paranoia back in the day. 😳
Ian
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
anthologies are always a mixed bag, but most of these stories didn't really work for me.
Pam
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, listened
Some of these short stories were really good.
Karen
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
some good stories in this anthology
Lindsey Silvestrini
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was one shocking, twisted tale after another! You’d think after a few of the stories in Ice Cold I would realize that a big shock was coming, but it still got me every time! This is an incredible collection of short stories involving the Cold War from a variety of talented authors. They are chilling and usually suspenseful in a very subtle way.

The undertones will chill you as you realize something dark is coming but you just never know what it’s going to be! I think my favorite story
Nik Morton
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver starts the ball rolling with ‘Comrade 35’, a neat exposé about the Kennedy assassination; it’s in his inimitable style, well researched, believable and with a neat twist, as you’d expect.

None of the stories are duds, though for me some resonate more than others. The writing team of Lynds and Sheldon heartbreakingly evoke a grim image of East Germany under the brutal heel of the dreaded Stasi in ‘A Card for Mother’. Sara Paretsky’s ‘Miss Bianca’ is a little girl’s perspective on r
Ryan Viergutz
update whichever) Just finished reading "A Card For Mother". The story is haunting to itself (I'm not joking) but the backstory involving the Luftwaffe and a soldier on the Russian front... well, do you hardly ever see Nazis referred to as common German people?

finish) I got through a fourth of the stories in this which is way more than I usually do. I'll probably grab random stories from it when I go to a library that holds it. I'm just not the person who typically reads straight through an anth
Roger
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
For those of us who spent some time in elementary school learning about duck and cover, this a great read. I am wary of anthologies as they often are a disappointment (see Face Off, this spring). This one was a well crafted collection of stories that captures the middle of the 20th Century and the Cold War that we grew up with in our daily news. Events presented here became a part of our understanding of how the world worked as we tried to form some type of understanding of just what political p ...more
Linda
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
These stories are an icy blast from the past for one who came of age during much of the action reimagined by these fine writers. Though I have not previously read work from all of the writers included in this collection, I enjoyed each one's contribution. My favorites are Police Report, Miss Bianca, Crush Depth, The Everyday Housewife and His Mother's Son though for very different reasons in each case. Those reasons shall remain undercover and I leave you with the "assignment" to read Ice Cold a ...more
Monty
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and yes, chilling, group of stories which bring the paranoid and eerie days of the Cold War back to life. This collection includes spies of all colors, shapes, sizes and description. Some are retired, some are moles, some are revealed as the little old lady next door. Some worked for us, some for the Soviets, and some for the grey players in-between. Anyone who had to hide under a desk when the air-raid siren blared, remembers the Missiles of October, or sat gripped to a chair while ...more
Megargee
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This a 2014 anthology of new short stories by well known mystery writers commissioned by the Mystery Writers of America, selected and edited by Jeffrey Deaver and Raymond Benson. All 20 stories deal with the Cold War, with the primary emphasis being on tales of espionage and intrigue. Many are set in then divided Germany. All are well written, but after reading several I began to find the uniform theme a bit tedious and put the volume aside from time to time to read other materials before retur ...more
Richard
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most of the 20 writers of short stories/maybe one novella are authors I follow, so this was just a chance to see them exercising different muscles. Although some are set today, they all lead back to the 1960's and 70's.

Some are funny; others are melancholy or just plain sad. They evoke a time that for some of us was really scary. Duck and cover when you live between Los Angeles International Airport and a Standard Oil refinery? That's just silly.
Marshall Layne
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough good things about this anthology! Spies, spooks, double agents and backstabbers cross paths here and it's all gold. Not a bad story in the bunch. Especially liked Deaver's take on the Kennedy assassination and the story about a young woman's vain attempt to protect her family in post-war Europe.
Sharon
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love having a book of short stories to read, and with the latest events involving the Ukraine, this collections was timely. There is quite a variety and I like being introduced to authors whose work I have not previously read, without committing to a whole novel.

• Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • Odd Partners: An Anthology
  • The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
  • Scream and Scream Again!
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Filthy Rich
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Dangerous Women
  • Perfect Little Children
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance
  • Manhattan Mayhem: New Crime Stories from Mystery Writers of America
  • War Fever: Boston, Baseball, and America in the Shadow of the Great War
  • The Lying Room
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • Fatal
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.