Start by marking “Run, Dog!” as Want to Read:
Run, Dog!

Run, Dog!

Wherever a buoyant red ball goes, a dog follows close behind, running, jumping, and wreaking delightful havoc in its wake! Turn the distinctive pages to discover what happens as the ball and the dog enter each new scene. Children and adults alike will be amused by this simple story featuring easy-to-learn action words. The fast pace and unique story arc—16 sequences that s ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Run, Dog!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run, Dog!

Start your review of Run, Dog!
Eliot Reads
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another (*almost wordless) story about a dog and her love for a toy! Here, a red ball is tossed to a dog, which leads her on a raucous adventure through a park and zoo. Clever page flaps reveal comical cause and effect illustrations as the dog interrupts several groups of unexpecting people. 😍 (I love the variety of so many picture books on such a cute subject!)
Julie
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an adorable book. simple illustrations follow a dog as he chases a ball tossed by his master. The ball takes him on an adventure through the city park, disturbing a loving couple on a bench, the giraffe at the zoo, and a jogger in turn before he returns to his master. Very, very cute.
Kimberly
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What fun! Loved the silhouette artwork.
Tasha
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One red ball and one yellow dog create lots of merry chaos in this picture book. The dog chases the red ball from one scenario to the next, interacting with the people in the scene until finally one of them grabs the ball and throws it off the page. The pages are filled with action thanks to a tiered page system where you turn on section of the page at a time and the scene changes along with it. As the sections are turned, the ball bounces in different ways and the dog reacts making the people i ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
In this mainly wordless picture book, children are jumping on a trampoline when a red ball gets thrown off, and the dog goes after it. The path of the ball is cleverly followed by use of quarter and half sized pages that show the reactions of the people (who are shown in silhouette) who get in the way. There are a few action words (Jump! Catch!) to show transitions, and there could be some good discussion about how the people who have the ball thrust in their midst react to it. The illustrations ...more
Barbara
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Run Dog! is a mostly wordless picture book meant for young kids. The large pages have very simple, very bright pictures that kids will like. It is a story of a red bouncy ball that gets away from some kids and a dog chases it. There are some flap pages that are a fun addition to show where the red ball is bouncing. I liked how you follow the bouncing ball from page to page. I think kids who are just learning to read will enjoy the book.
*NOTE I got a free copy of this book in exchange for an hon
Terry
I like this book! If my kids (3 and 5) were a little younger, they would have really liked it as well. Fantastic, bright, and cheerful illustrations plus an interesting structure with panels for the child to turn to make this a great selection for infants and toddlers. Being wordless, you can make your own story.

There's more to our review. Visit the Reading Tub. While you’re there, add a link to your review.
Kelsey
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Run, Dog! provides very minimal text accompanied by unique interactive illustrations. The book follows a dog as it runs, catches, fetches and jumps with various people. Each page features a staggered set of card stock pages. As readers turn each flap a new part of the illustration appears. The book has high contrast simple illustrations. The illustrations and interactive pages will encourage print motivation in young children.
Kristina Jean Lareau
With very few words, Boyer creates a nostalgic picturebook that effectively uses different page sizes to create suspense and demonstrate cause and effect. All rendered digitally, these illustrations feel more like the illustrations that were rendered with color separation processes of the early 20th century.
Mary
This is a great book for early readers because there is very little text, and yet the pictures imply a great deal of action. There are smaller pages within each larger set of pages that depict story progression without words. It is a good book to read to improve narrative skills and dexterity for page turning.
Asho
I thought this was a clever book, with tiered pages that show a dog chasing a ball from page to page. My 3-year-old liked looking at the pictures and playing with changing them by turning the pages, but he never requested it again after the first read. I was surprised, since I found it really amusing, but I guess the (mostly) wordless story isn't his thing right now. ...more
Janet
Mar 31, 2016 added it
Shelves: ece-bookshelf
Simple primary colors illustrate this picture about a dog chasing a red ball. Beautiful and simple.

Age: 1+

Skill: Print awareness (Only a few words communicate the message of this book along with its illustrations. These words can be pointed out to increase print awareness.)
Tapani Aulu
Hassu kirja, jossa erikokoisia sivuja ja vauhdikkaita kuvia. Tekstiä ei ole ollenkaan otsikkoa lukuunottamatta.
Christen
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute concept but the tiered pages would make it too awkward for storytime. Simple engaging graphics that illustrate single word movements, like jump and fetch.
Edward Sullivan
A simple, wordless delight.
Mary Ann
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'd love to hear kids talk through what happens in this story, especially talking about cause-effect. Great use of layered half-cut page turns. ...more
Tracy
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love wordless picture books. The illustrations are bold and simple. I also like that there are flaps that help continue the story.
Michelle Gray
It was a simple story but I was confused a bit. Was the dog going from family to family? I realize he was chasing the ball, but wouldn't his family be chasing him? ...more
Marcie
To me this book carries a French feel and makes me think of mime. I classed it as wordless, but it does has some minimal text.
Amy
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This fun book of few words and catchy illustrations reminds me of A Ball For Daisy by Raschka. The different-sized pages tell the exciting tale of a busy day with minimal words.
Michael Earp
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
So simple and beautiful. Love it!
Jeimy
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not sure how I feel about this mostly worldless book.
Brindi Michele
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
the little pages make it hard to share with a crowd, but great for one-on-one.
Erin
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
mostly wordless, happy ending.
Tracie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful lift-the-flap wordless book about a dog chasing a ball.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Jul 02, 2014
Robin
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Love Makes a Family
  • Julián Is a Mermaid (Julián, #1)
  • Not Every Princess
  • Edible Colors
  • Mogie: The Heart of the House
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • Time for Bed, Fred!
  • Penguin and Pumpkin (Penguin)
  • Waiting
  • A Color of His Own
  • Boom Snot Twitty This Way That Way
  • In Real Life
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Leo Lionni's Little Mice Tales
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly (Narwhal and Jelly #3)
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (Narwhal and Jelly, #4)

News & Interviews