Start by marking “Frenzy” as Want to Read:
Frenzy

Frenzy

14-year-old Heath Lambert is spending his summer at Camp Harmony in the picturesque Cascade Mountain Valley. It's the perfect place to enjoy the soothing calm of nature as he weighs a heavy decision. The camp offers distractions: his friends, Cricket and Dunbar, always up for trouble; his reluctant crush on Emily, one half of the beautiful Em & Em Twins; and hulking bu
Published April 8th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Frenzy, please sign up.
Summer Frazier You can say that they learned how to work together to survive even though some of them didn't make it.

Faye, la Patata
When I was a wee one, one of my nightmares was being chased by animals - their teeth and fangs bared, their mouths covered with foam, their hair and fur on end. There was something about being the prey by such creatures (small and big ones alike) that was traumatizing. Imagine being chased by an aggressive squirrel, or by a hate-filled cat, or by hissing porcupines, or by crazy deers, or by mad beavers. They're supposedly friendly, amiable creatures - harmless to mankind - and to have their beha ...more
Rose
Initial reaction: A solid 5-star read from my first experience with Robert Lettrick. "Frenzy" is equal parts enthralling for adventure, survival and horror after an outbreak at a camp turns the animals wild, and equal parts humor and engaging for the characters presented and how they take it upon themselves to survive. I was really impressed with this middle-grade work and would highly recommend it.

Full review:

I have enough reactions about Robert Lettrick's middle grade horror book "Frenzy" to
Mónica Bustamante Wagner
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one!

14-y-o Heath goes to this camp in the woods, where there's no cell phones allowed. He has some friends like Cricket, who gained his nickname because he knows a lot of bug-related things. And then there's his cabin-mate Will, who is this very clever boy who always has hidden agendas. And then, all the wood animals start to go crazy, with this mutated virus and they start killing people, even boys and girls. So this group of friends (and sort of enemies) have to escape to
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
If When Animals Attack and When Good Pets Go Bad had a lovechild, it would be Frenzy. Forget about a zombie apocalypse, you need to be more worried about Bambi and Rover chomping at your jugular.

Heath is spending the summer at Camp Harmony. Hanging out with his pals, avoiding the camp bullies, trying to ignore crushing feels for a girl, all seems pretty normal at good old camp. Until the porcupine incident.

Suddenly, an apparently rabid porcupine attacks one of the campers. It doesn't stop ther
Jodi Meadows
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agent-siblings
I described this book to a book club recently. "Rabid animals attack a summer camp. Lots of kids die." None of them could believe it was middle grade.

It was great, too. Watch out for squirrels though!
Valerie Cole
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clan-macleod
This is the book to put in the hands of a reluctant reader for sure. Intense, fast paced, creepy, packed with animal facts and humor, this scary book is heart warming all at the same time. I'll be looking at squirrels in a whole new way from now on.
paula
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Gr 5-12 -- Good old Camp Harmony. Horseback riding, archery, crafts, and waterskiing on the crystal-clear Dray River. But the card games and squirt gun battles screech to a halt when campers are attacked by an apparently rabid porcupine, followed by a pack of wolves, the camp horses, and every mammal in the vicinity. A small group of kids takes to the river to escape the deadly critters, and each character’s strengths and weaknesses are revealed as the group struggles to survive.

Sloppy writing (
A Book Vacation
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
To see my full review:

What would happen if the landdwelling animals of the world suddenly lost their fear or ever their love of humans and began outright attacking us? It would be like a zombie apocalypse, but with animals... and that's exactly what Lettrick pens in his exciting novel, Frenzy.

With an airborne virus that spreads an altered version of rabies, animals of all shapes and sizes are infected, shedding their fears and lusting for blood--mainly, t
Arda Y
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the book Frenzy is about a fourteen year old boy Heath Lambert at a summer camp called Camp Harmony with his friends Cricket and Dunbar. Heath is going to get bullied by two bully named Thumper and Floaties but his cabin mate Will step up and tells them not to. Heath and his friends go up to the ranch where the two girls Dunbar and Cricket have a crush on Emily and Emma they ride on their horses but the horses are acting wild. Heath goes back to the campsite and he hears howling from wolves t ...more
Alex Grissom
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book because it was my type of book and it was very suspensful and their were lots of places were it left you with a cliff hanger and I wanted to read more this book was one of those books that was good for me and I loved this book I would provide this book for other people to read
Cpapas7
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Heath and a Group of friends, Cricket, Dunbar, Will the 2 Em's and others, wanted to get out of the forest. A few days after coming to a camp they are attacked by all the animals in the whole surrounding forest which means thousands. The animals have a much more lethal form of rabies that kills with one bite in seconds. As they leave the camp they have to wade through a deep river for miles. They found out that there was a swarm of tens of thousands of bats heading their way and the only way to ...more
Pam
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Frenzy by Robert Lettrick is one of the freshest young-adult novels I've read in a very long time. Not dedicated to vampires or teenage sex, but rabid animals vs. humans and the survival of the fittest. I would suggest this to any fan of R. L. Stine, as a growing up horror novel. Terrifying in a good way.
Hannah Bartoszewicz
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
My thoughts on this book were that I did not really like as much as I thought I would, and the reason for that was because I could not really find a main topic on what the story was about and that it also switched certain settings and topics quickly. Some reason on why I liked this book were because of how the characters interact with each other and how they react when something happens.
Stacey Lee
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A feel good fluffy-cute squirrel story for the whole family to enjoy. NOT! It's even better than that - great friendship stories, smart kids with heart, with nonstop action and humor that makes you snort your cheetos. Robert Lettrick is a consummate entertainer and an artist of the written word.
Iris
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic action....Wouldn't be surprised if Disney made a movie out of this.
Kaleb Spencer
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heath is an ordinary kid. his parents sent him to a camp called, Camp Harmony. it was all fun and games until a porcupine came chasing after one of the kids. to kill the porcupine Heath sprayed water on it, they thought that it just had rabies, but it was much, much worse. read this book to find out if Heath and his friends can get out of the frenzy.
A theme for this book is, "sometimes it takes sacrifices to live. " It is a little creepy but is perfect for this book. Because a lot of people- i
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
When a 14 year old boy named Heath heads to Camp Harmony for a relaxing summer he expects lazy days filled with friends, swimming in the lake and staying up late telling ghost stories. Unfortunately for Heath all that's about to change when the Animals suddenly start attacking everyone killing off most of the campers in mere minutes. Now Heath and his friends must race to the safety of a town miles away before they succumb to the deadly swarm. Only time is running out and the infection is spread ...more
Jdtolbert2003yahoo.com
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, crazy, sad, uplifting, depressing story. Yep there were a roller coaster of emotions as what was to be a soothing summer camp experience goes horribly wrong. A government experiment gone wrong has the group running for their lives and their friends dying around them. Will they make it to safety or with they fall to the sick animals. Definitely worth the read to find out.
Brianna
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the THIRD time I've read a book mentioning the Zombie Ants---the first time I ever heard of them was in a classroom, and I science teacher told us about it.At first we didn't believe him...but now? I still kinda want to see a zombie ant (-:
Elizabeth Meadows
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, scary, creepy adventure story that is perfect for a middle grade audience who likes horror. It also carries some great themes regarding helping others through dire circumstances vs saving only yourself.
Will Granger
I liked a lot about this book. Excellent suspense and some real shocks. Also some interesting characters that the author helps us to know in a short time.
But, the ending left me wanting more. I felt like the author tied everything up too quickly and easily.
Holliferous
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: decent
I actually liked this one a lot! I haven't read many zombie-esque books simply because I'd never thought that could be really written well. Boy was I wrong! The ending was a bit unsatisfying and there are holes I've been trying to fix after the fact but I would definitely recommend it to anyone!
Tadashi
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Such a great book! I lay awake thinking about it for days, and i read and re-read this book many times over. The storyline is very interesting and I reccomend it to all.
Shreya R
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great adventure book!
Ms. Yingling
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Heath is glad to be spending the summer at a camp in the Cascade Mountains. He has some good friends, and gets along as well as possible with the oddly calculating Will and even manages to elude the evil bullies Thumper and Floaties. He's concerned when one of the campers kills a porcupine with a squirt gun, and the camp staff thinks the porcupine has rabies, but doesn't think much of it. Then, one day, all the animals start turning on humans, and when the humans are bitten, they die agonizing d ...more
Kathleen Bookish
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
I feel as though I am part of the unpopular opinion crew for this book. This is most definitely a middle grade novel, but it almost seemed too violent for a middle grade novel. I have come to really trust the media specialists that choose the Florida Sunshine State Book picks, but this felt out of character. The concept was certainly promising, a summer camp ravaged by rabid forest creatures. I was very excited to read this book. The execution of the story felt a bit clunky and the characters we ...more
Evan Macrone (Will Work For Books)
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who have read goosebumps and want a not-trash version
Shelves: recomendable
I just read Frenzy and it was actually surprisingly intense and unexpectantly disturbing(?).
That doesn't mean it didn't have it's problems, however.

First big problem-the beginning. It was *this* close to being Goosebumps level of uninspired and cliché. I mean, Camp Harmony? Are you kidding me? How can something horrible NOT happen at a summer camp called "Camp Harmony"? Thankfully, it got a lot better pretty fast.
Also, the camp leader was incredibly cliché. Seriously. Thankfully, though (SPOI
Abby Vaughn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I come back and reread this book all the time and every single time it manages to get better. The world and story building always stuns and leaves me breathless. Robert Lettrick makes sure that the story building is a constant element throughout his novels which allows you to constantly know where you are, what time it is and the progress of the characters. Storybuilding is something that I see a lot of authors struggle with, most of them only doing it when it’s convenient for the plot. Robert L ...more
Jessica
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed trying to figure out what kids had what motives, who would do what, who would live or who would die, and what next terrible thing was going to happen. I wondered how the 'frenzy' could ever be contained. I wondered if this was a lead up to a post-apocalyptic world.

I'll say that you don't quite know who is going to survive. As things happen, people get hurt or die that you didn't expect. The end of the book made me sad. I liked inferring details about the ch
Miranda  D. Spencer
Okay

This book was interesting but at the same time very repetitive it kept telling the same happening over and over

• Hawking's Hallway (The Accelerati Trilogy, #3)
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Bot Wars (Bot Wars, #1)
  • The League of Lasers (Star Scouts, #2)
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • Death and Douglas
  • Shadows of Sherwood (Robyn Hoodlum, #1)
  • Turn Left at the Cow
  • Knockout Games
  • The Last Free Cat
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • Scarlett Hart: Monster Hunter
  • Nickel Bay Nick
  • Wonderland
  • Waking the Monsters (Hilo, #4)
  • Diamond Boy