Start by marking “Daddy's Zigzagging Bedtime Story” as Want to Read:
Daddy's Zigzagging Bedtime Story

Daddy's Zigzagging Bedtime Story

What do a truck-driving princess, space aliens who burp fire, and Kung-Fu pigs have in common? They're all a part of the most epic bedtime story ever! When Jake and Jenny turn down every book Daddy tries to read before bed, he decides to make up his own story. In his follow up to Daddies Do It Different, Alan Lawrence Sitomer spins an unexpected adventure that zigzags from ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Daddy's Zigzagging Bedtime Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy's Zigzagging Bedtime Story

Amy
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Daddy's Zigzagging Bedtime story does a couple things I really like: 1- captures a very real parenting moment: how to make everyone happy, 2- a dad reading to his kids!, 3- it's totally silly, making for fun conversations. But one thing I didn't like was how the "girl" and "boy" parts of the story were so generic.
Luisa Knight
This is the type of story parents come up with when they have a princess loving daughter and an alien loving son. Funny!

Ages: 4 - 8

Cleanliness: mentions fairy tale magic, unicorns and burping. The kids complain at the beginning of the story.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to cl
Anthony
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
It's bedtime, and time for a story to help Jake and Jenny drift off to slumber land. But when they turn every storybook down, it's time for dad to take matters into his own hands. Truck driving princesses, space aliens, and unicorns all combine to make this bedtime story one of the best Jake and Jenny has ever heard.
Jessica
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I even laughed when I read this! Made-up bedtime stories are for sure the best ones!
Henry Herz
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I knew I was in for a wild ride when the book’s front matter mentioned a truck-driving princess, evil space aliens of doom (who burp fire), cupcake-making unicorns and kung-fu pigs. Any parent who’s read to their kids can appreciate the dad’s predicament of trying to select a bedtime story that will please both his kids. The dad creatively crafts a story on the spot from disparate parts, a literary Frankenstein’s monster, to please the very different reading requirements of a young boy and a you ...more
Jill
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! Loved it! When two kids, a boy and a girl, don't like the pick of books for a bedtime story, Dad comes to the rescue and makes one up. Because they have different interests, he has to include diverse elements into the story, but makes it work. And while he's telling his wild tale, he really gets into it, even dressing like the characters in his story. I love the page with the two kids and the dog when dad says, 'And they lived happily ever after.' All three are just astonis ...more
Mary
This story had a lot of elements that I liked - I liked that the father in the story is the one reading to his children (although at one point one of the kids wishes it was the mother, which makes it seem as though the dad isn't necessarily always present). I also liked that the father makes up a story to appease the children when he can't find one that's already been written. That models to parents that making up stories (even ones that don't make sense) is a completely valid storytelling techn ...more
Lauren Iuppa
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
I really enjoyed this book because it reminded me of my childhood when my dad would read books to me and wouldn't want to read what I wanted to read, he always liked to make his own story up. I like the message behind this story of showing children how to have an imagination. The father wanted to make up his own story through his own imagination and that showed children its easy to make your own story. Throughout the book they were not interested in the story but turned out they really liked his ...more
Shannon Tisone
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is super cute, and has become one of my new favorites. I love the small humor throughout, and how it is easy to distinguish the different characters as I read along. I think students would certainly enjoy this book because it is also super easy to relate to. Such a fun read, can't wait to share it with my future students.
Danica Midlil
This was like Fortunately, the Milk by Neil GaimanFortunately, the Milk distilled into a picture book.
Bernice Seward
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found myself caught up in this cute story! I hung on every word and page as Mr. Sitomer took us through a story geared to engage a storyteller's toughest critics--his or her own children.

Both of my elementary-aged children enjoyed the book as well. My son even asked if they had a Mommy's bedtime story version. (A little idea for a new book, Mr. Sitomer :-) )
Michael
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It is bedtime, and Jake wants one book; Jenny wants another. Jake wants one kind of story; Jenny wants another altogether. Never fear, Dad is here, with a story unlike any his kids have ever heard.
For more great Picture Books for little guys, see: http://www.talestoldtall.com/B4BPictu...
Denise
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Daddy's bedtime story combines the interests of his little girl with his young boy in a way only a pretty decent storyteller can do. His excitement at his own tale is endearing. The illustrations manage to capture dad and his children in addition to the fantasy-laden bedtime story.
Peggy
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
A fun story about a dad trying to please both his son and his daughter as he makes up a bedtime story, zigzagging through the story between what the boy likes and what the girl likes. I want to try it as a preschool storytime book and hopefully the kids will enjoy it as much as I did!
Beth
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute and inventive. Hopefully it will inspire parents to create interesting stories of their own for their kids.
Josephine Hawkins
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book to read out loud - especially if you have children who like their stories on opposite ends of a spectrum.
Vicki
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Dad sure can think up a whopper of a tale. This book could demonstrate storytelling
Ashlee
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute book and my daughter loved it!!
Tara
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Good for asking, what do you think will happen next.
Msmerelibrarian
Southern California Author
Ashley McNally
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This bedtime story has everything in it, like a monster truck-driving princess who battles aliens with her cupcake-baking unicorn sidekick! AWESOME!
Katie
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
When I review a kids book it's because I either loved it or hated it. This one was sooooo cute and I suggest everyone read it!!
Brindi Michele
that was awesome (shelving as holiday because good for father's day)

this sounded like one of my turning pages stories!
Colby
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I tend to go over the top when I'm reading to my kids. Especially when it's a silly story that I'm having fun with. My kids both LOVED this one. I highly recommend for your little ones too!
Susan
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute! Great example of making up a bedtime story. Also love the line "I wish Mommy had no friends so she could be home tonight instead of out to dinner."
Nicole Jones
Picture Books- This is one of my most favorite picture books of all times!! This is what my dad did for me and helped cultivate my love for reading because of instances like this:)
Kristen
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this to my son, as did my husband. A very engaging story, easy to get into and has fun illustrations.
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
a great story. I love how the dad tries to involve both children in the story and by the end find himself dressed up stomping around the room. a great read aloud for older kids (grade 1+)
Heike_Paul
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alan Lawrence Sitomer is a California Teacher of the Year award winner and the founder of The Writer’s Success Academy. In addition to having been an inner-city high school English teacher and former professor in the Graduate School Of Education at Loyola Marymount University, Mr. Sitomer is a nationally renowned keynote speaker who specializes in engaging underperforming students. To date, Mr. Si ...more