Start by marking “Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep” as Want to Read:
Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep

Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep (Chengdu)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  569 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
High in his tree a young panda named Chengdu lies awake, even though everyone around him is quietly sleeping. He tosses and he turns. He scrunches and he squirms, until he finally finds the perfect spot.
Published May 6th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion (first published April 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep

Janice
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chengdu has a problem. Its night and he can’t sleep. He tries everything he can to fall asleep but nothing works. This is a wonderful interactive book with pandas! The pages are fun as they fold this way and that. I love the big eyes that are open in the bamboo forest while everyone else sleeps. Chengdu’s solution is a wonderful surprise. A fun book for panda lovers everywhere.
Jocelin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This story reminded me a lot of my husband. He has trouble sleeping, even when he is exhausted. I was able to sympathizes with the main character. I thought the illustrations were artistically rendered, I loved the chalkboard look. Great to read to the little ones at bedtime.
Sara Grochowski
Try as he might, Chengdu the panda could not, would not fall asleep. He tosses and turns, stretches and scrunches, but it's no use. He's eyes stay wide and sleep will not come. Finally, Chengdu climbs up and up to find the perfect spot... atop he brother Yuan. Now, everyone is sleeping... except Yuan.

The expressive illustrations of Chengdu and his brother Yuan, coupled with interactive fold-out pages, make this book a winner!
Jordan
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Insomniacs and Crepuscular Creatures
Ahhhh, a panda after my own heart.

Chengdu is a baby panda who cannot fall asleep. Without access to books or Netflix, his reasons are unclear. But, without access to herbal tea or 80s sitcoms, his struggle to fall asleep is very, very real.

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Jeremy West
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pandas, guys. I shouldn't have to say more, but I will. Chengdu has a very hard time falling asleep. He lies awake at night high up in his tree watching everyone else around him sleep. But he can't. He wanders and climbs until he finds the perfect spot. With wonderful art, this book is perfect for panda lovers or pretty much everyone. Pandas, guys.
Elizabeth
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute story. I like the fold outs, but, do publishers just not care how much wear and tear these fold out books are going to get. This is going to get destroyed SO QUICKLY. I wish all fold out books used thicker, more tear resistant paper.
Michal Hope
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finn-books
A wonderful story for going to bed, good for toddlers and preschoolers!
Kim
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Plenty of fold out pages for your child to interact with the story. Chengdu is a panda who is having trouble finding sleep and who can't identify with that? Sweetly told with great pictures.
Angie
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh ... this might even be a five star. Just for being about a chubby little panda with insomnia. #beenthere #wellexceptforthepandapart
Rachel Watkins
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, picture-book
As the sweetest best book for anyone who has trouble going to sleep, read this slowly while yawning to get your young reader to snuggle into slumber.
Demi
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The paging is inventive, the illustrations are adorable, and the ending made me laugh out loud.
Kaethe
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Panda! Panda with insomnia and siblings!

Library copy
Samuel Tyler
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The list of entertaining things about toddlers does not include any of the following; throwing food against your recently painted walls, nappy deposits, or deciding to stay up way past their bedtime. There are few things more unsettling to a parent than a toddler used to their routine suddenly deciding to stay up way past their bedtime; they scream, they procrastinate, they blub and then finally collapse (and that is just Mum and Dad). The reason that so many children’s books are about settling ...more
Gloria
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lara
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. We've all had those nights, haven't we? And we probably all have a Yuan/Chengdu in our lives! I like the texture and the style of the illustrations (plus the pandas are pretty cute too!). The fold-out pages are fun and give an interesting element to the story reading, though as a library book, they might eventually need some reinforcement, the way library fold-outs do.

As a storytime book, I'd use this with a bedtime/night/sleeping theme, or pandas. Or siblings!
Courtney
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to pick this up as I know a little someone who cannot, will not, fall asleep just about every night. The illustrations of the pandas and bamboo are beautiful and the story moves right along even though the scenery is very similar in each panel. My favorites: "everyone except" with just Chengdu's eyes is a perfect contrast to all the darkness in the rest of the book & finding the "perfect spot" which happens to be on his brother. This is also a nightly occurrence in our house.
Jill
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We love this charming book. The illustrations are phenomenal, including the use of close-up and page flaps. The story is simple and sweet, and my toddler laughs at all of Chengdu’s attempts to fall asleep.
Michelle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is always better to sleep with someone ;-)
Rachel
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I knew from the title I'd like this one. I don't know why, I guess the "could not, would not" bit. But this is super cute and very much a possibility for a purchase next both for the cousins!
Miss Sarah
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
a cute bedtime book about a panda who just can't seem to find the right sleeping position no matter how hard he tries. Will he ever get to sleep. Toddler and up and funny ending.
Heidi-Marie
So adorable! The illustrations are fabulous. And the story makes me smile a lot. The fold outs always grab attention. This would be wonderful for storytime. I think the kids will love it.

2/4/15 Used with In the Zoo Part 1 theme. They always like fold outs. I just should have practiced more beforehand to remember where they were! But they liked it. I had Xander up on the table for display, and one boy who loves Xander kept asking if he was in with Chengdu. Nope. But really cute. Will definitely n
Tasha
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Chengdu is a young panda who is having problems falling asleep. Unlike all of the other pandas who are sleeping soundly on nearby branches, Chengdu just can not drop off to sleep. He tosses and turns. He tries different positions, even hanging upside down! It takes him awhile, but he finally finds a perfect spot, and one that will surprise and delight readers. But then, another little panda finds himself awake and what is he to do?

Saltzberg brings readers a clever and funny story of a little ani
Venus
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted here at Children's Atheneum.

High in a tree, a young panda named Chengu just can't fall asleep. Even though everyone else around him is quietly sleeping, Chendu just can't find the right spot. He scrunches, squirms, and wiggles with little success. That is until he finds that he just needed something a little less tree-like to lay on.

This is a cute little bedtime story, with a character that is expressive and adorable. There are some great foldout pages that were fun alth
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bears, picture-book, night
Chengdu is a panda bear. And it is night time and Chengdu and all the panda bears should be sleeping in their bamboo grove…only Chengdu can’t sleep. Chengdu does all sorts of things to try to get to sleep. He tossed and he turned but he just couldn’t get comfortable enough to get to sleep. Eventually he climbed up higher and higher until he found the perfect place to sleep…on top of his brother. Who then couldn’t sleep.

This is such a fun story about a simple concept that every little one can rel
Amber
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This new children's book is a delight. The kids loved the interactive fold out pages. The illustrations not only go with the story perfectly but are thought provoking . I love when an illustration or story gets the children thinking and discussion going . The kids in my son's preschool class had some great conversations about this little Panda. Their favorite pages are the ones that only had the Panda's eyes looking back at you. So fun!

Chengdu just can not go to sleep no matter how hard he trie
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, just look at Chengdu! Can’t you understand how he feels? He wants to fall asleep, but he can’t! Mr. Saltzberg really draws you into feeling Chengdu’s problem. We really care for Chengdu. He is a cute little panda and he is deprived of sleep! I get tired just thinking about it. The illustrations are adorable. I like how Mr. Saltzberg drew the details of the bamboo forest and the coloring in it. I also like that there are some flap pages in the book. It makes it interactive and fun. ...more
Ariel Cummins
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Chengdu just can't fall asleep, no matter what position he gets in! Until, that is, he finds the perfect spot.

Saltzberg's colored pencil and watercolor illustrations are realistic looking while still managing to evoke the softness of night time, and the book design itself is beautiful, including fold out pages and other clever touches.

The text is straight-forward and not too long, although it's not incredibly ground breaking. Still, it's always nice to read a book with beautiful illustrati
Cassandra Gelvin
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet.

It's a cute book. Basically, there's a panda who can't fall asleep. He tries everything that he can to fall asleep, and then moves up the tree and falls asleep on his brother.

It's kind of unusual, with pages that fold out in different directions. The artwork is very charming. There's not a lot to it, but it's the kind of repetitive that is endearing rather than mind-numbing. The pictures really overtake the few words. It's a simple story that doesn't try to be something more.

For
Pat
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chengdu, the panda bear, could not, would not, fall asleep. He tossed, turned, rolled, and hung upside down. Finally he climbed up the bamboo branches and fell asleep. On top of his brother. Now his brother was awake. One page opens from the gutter and one opens from the top which could be missed if you don't feel the extra thickness of the pages. Other pages are partial pages. One page just shows Chengdu's eyes which is very effective. Pencil, watercolors, and Photoshop were used for the illust ...more
Erin
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Chengdu is a panda bear who just cannot fall asleep. He tries tossing and turning and even hanging upside down to no avail. Finally he finds the perfect place to fall asleep -- right on top of his brother. This silly story is a perfect addition to a panda, jungle, or bedtime storytime. With simple text, foldout pages (you'll definitely want to practice this one before reading in front of a crowd...just so you know which pages are the foldouts), and illustrations done in black, white, and green, ...more
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • EIEIO: How Old MacDonald Got His Farm with a Little Help From a Hen
  • Ah Ha!
  • Puddle Pug
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
Barney Saltzberg is the author and illustrator of close to 50 books for children, including Beautiful Oops!, Arlo Needs Glasses, Good Egg, Cornelius P. Mud , Crazy Hair Day and the bestselling Touch and Feel Kisses series with over 800,000 copies in print. He has two new releases, Tea With Grandpa and Chengdu Could Not Would Not Fall Asleep coming this spring.
Additionally, he’s recorded four CDs