Start by marking “The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1)

The Ring and the Crown

(The Ring and the Crown #1)

Princess Marie-Victoria, heir to the Lily Throne, and Aelwyn Myrddn, bastard daughter of the Mage of England, grew up together. But who will rule, and who will serve?

Quiet and gentle, Marie has never lived up to the ambitions of her mother, Queen Eleanor the Second, Supreme Ruler of the Franco-British Empire. With the help of her Head Merlin, Emrys, Eleanor has maintained
Published April 1st 2014 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Ring and the Crown, please sign up.
Melissa Cruz The sequel just went up on Amazon: it was Mel's first draft. The publisher canceled the series, but Mel just made the book available to fans, all…moreThe sequel just went up on Amazon: it was Mel's first draft. The publisher canceled the series, but Mel just made the book available to fans, all proceeds go to YALLWEST: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077DP15FW(less)
The One by Kiera CassIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiA Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia GrayCress by Marissa MeyerCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
Best Covers of 2014
990 books — 2,757 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,151 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Relationship chart.

I'm sorry for that chart. I'm pretty good with charts and graphs and stuff, but Microsoft PowerPoint has failed me this time. Why? I tried so many templates, but there simply wasn't a premade chart adequate enough to draw out the entire fucked up chain of relationship in this book. So there you have it. My brilliant hand made relationship chart. Yay me.

This isn't the story of two girls, one Princess, one Magician. It's a book about really, really horny teenagers who fuck all t
Emily May
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult, 2014, fantasy

Fantasy-lite. But a lot of fun!

I'm glad I didn't pass this book up, despite the lack of emotional development and some of the questionable world-building. The Ring and The Crown is my first read by de la Cruz but it seems she has a talent for writing lighthearted, fluffy and entertaining stories. Reading this was a bit like reading a gossip magazine - full of the scandals, relationships and drama of the celebrities aristocracy. It won't change your life, you won't get a new philosophical perspec
Rosemary
Mar 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow. It's been a long time since I was tempted to throw a book across the room, and if I hadn't been reading this on my Kindle, I very well might have.

This is kind of an anti-YA YA novel: instead of exploring the difficulties (and the triumphs) of learning how to think and act for yourself, the message here is more like, "Free will is an illusion, and not only are your parents right about everything, it turns out that they've been engineering everything you do, so really, you might as well just
Wendy Darling
I actually liked this. It skips over emotional development and takes a lot of shortcuts and side trips and backtracking with the plot, but it kept my interest and I was surprised by how things turned out for some of that characters.

Best enjoyed the way you would a historical romance. Don't expect it to be deep, but it is very entertaining.

Bit more of a review to come.
Christine Riccio
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was really entertaining. It's definetely not THE BEST THING EVER, but it was a cool concept, and I enjoyed myself. Solid 3 stars =) Here's my full booktalk/review: http://youtu.be/LFzWVcx5Gsk !
Lesly!
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Beautiful!! Loved it!!! Melissa De la Cruz Made it again! A must read, Highly recomended!!

I fell in love with it since the begining. What I love most of Her writing style and technique is that she just doesn't give just one Main characters she gives us many amazing characters to enjoy. This story is absolutely captivating.
Told in the perspective from like four or five different people. If you read the blue blood series, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't it is at first a
Lainey
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 but I rounded it up to a 4 due to my overall enjoyment of the book and needing the second book yesterday.

I've picked up this book, looked at the synopsis, and would put it back. I did this in bookstores before I bought it, and continually did it once I received the book at home. Here is why:

The synopsis is slightly confusing.

This time, I decided not to look at the synopsis before getting into it. Instead, I watched the amazing book trailer and started reading. Here is my s
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🌟 I read this for the Yule Bingo Challenge, for the category of Ollivander: books with spells. For more info on this challenge, click here. 🌟

This review is dedicated to my critics who think I'm too biased/snobby: I fully went into this book expecting to hate it, but I changed my mind. (My mind can be changed, occasionally - it's only that few books are up to the task.) I had good reason to be suspicious of THE RING & THE CROWN - not on
Prima
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Prima by: ARC
Miss Melissa de la Cruz does it again!!!! I absolutely loved the new history of Europe (with magic!!), the couture gowns, the oh-so-fabulous-parties. Wolf is the new Jack!!! Don't want to spoil too much, but this is a worthy, sumptuous, sexy and soapy read that her fans and new readers will devor.

The only bad thing is the wait for the sequel.... SIGH!!!!!
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

The prologue for The Ring and the Crown sets the scene with mystery and intrigue – which girl is the traitor, and which one is the real Princess? As the book begins however, it isn’t immediately obvious what the prologue is about. But if you sit back and relax, enjoy the drama and the extravagance, it will take you on an enjoyable ride.

Set in a the British Kingdom protected by a Merlin, The Ring and The Crown presents a wond
Mrs.
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I feel so amazed that I got to read this book before it was published!

This book at first threw me for a loop. Although it is set in the early 1900s, the world is not as we knew the world then. This is a world with magic. With that magic, England is in power of the world because they contain all the known magic in the world. They were able to put down the "little rebellion" in the Americas, so even the United States doesn't exist -- it is a colony/state of England. So even though yo
Pinky
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Another book that I have a hard time rating because of all of the mixed feelings. This book is something that I wouldn't usually pick up, but I wanted to try out something different and boy did it play with my emotions! It was crazy to go through this book, it was different and I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it as much as I had wanted to.

“I will love you, my English rose, and you will fill my French dreams”

This book follows the point of view of five different characters. One is Marie, the
Rayne
This is exactly the type of book one would expect from Melissa de la Cruz:
Blue Bloods defanged and in corsets: a group of shallow teenagers with something that makes them special but that barely plays into the plot, in situations way beyond their maturity levels and having awkward sex with each other.

If that's what you were looking for, congratulations!, that's exactly what you'll get and that means you are acquainted with de la Cruz's works because it seems this is just what she does. You wil
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

You know you really like a book when not one thing goes the way you want it to, and yet, someway, somehow, you still acknowledge how beautiful the book is and still be happy that you read it anyway.

The Ring and the Crown is an amazing book filled with intrigue, drama, politics and of course, romance. It is a captivating book that pulled me into a world of the court and ball dances, and it was a world that was easy to fall in love with.

"A false victory is a hollow on
Juhina
Mar 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Whatever you do, don't bother reading the synopsis of The Ring and the Crown because it has nothing to do with the book.. at all. Throughout the whole book I was waiting for when whatever was written in the synopsis and it never happened. Only 10% of the synopsis happened.. 250 pages IN THE NOVEL. I'm sorry but whoever wrote the synopsis must have read a different book because all I got from the novel was girls obsessing about getting married.. that is all. The magic was just a quick backdrop fo ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Freaking loved this! There were a couple quotes at the beginning of the chapters that didn't fit and I don't like the cover. But I LOVED the story and I really hope this is a series!!!
Andis / Slytherin 🐍
This book didn't really have anything to do with what the synopsis says, but it was still pretty enjoyable.
3 solid stars
Gena Alvarez
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You had me at the synopsis! Wow, can't wait.
Alyssa

Book One of The Ring and the Crown series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: April 1, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Quiet and gentle, Marie has never lived up to the ambitions of her moth
Tabitha
3.5 / 5

Ring around the Rosey, pocketful of posey
Although The Ring and the Crown gives the reader a unique version of alternate history London, there are no less than 4 heroines in this book. Aelwyn, Marie, Ronan and Isabelle. Even with the 4 heroines the storyline and their individual story arcs were very easy to follow. They each had distinctive personalities and voices I could hear in my head. In addition to reading from the perspective of each young lady we also get one male perspective as we
Debbie Narh
good

2.5 Stars (lol, I'm not feeling generous)

This book, right here, is one the reasons why I stay far, far away from historical fiction books as well as books about princesses. They are always predictable, there is no (or barely anything) real talk about wars, enemies, etc. It's all just romance and scandals and who's fucking who or who wants to fuck who but not allowed to. I honestly felt like I was reading about the girls in my high school rather than an empire on the verge of collapsing. The ch
Olga Godim
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn’t finish this book, stopped reading on page 118, but I’m still going to write a review and rate it. For the first time ever, I’m rating a book I didn’t finish. I want to vent my frustration with it.
I did leaf through the rest of the pages and read the last few chapters, so I know how it ended. And I disliked it intensely, although I must admit: it is a good book. The writing is very strong, the plot is moving nicely, if a bit slowly, the tension escalates, and the young characters are div
Jen Ryland
Gossip Girl + Downton Abbey + a dash of King Arthur

*wipes brow* Whew, that was a pretty fun ride!

The Ring and the Crown is an addictive alt-history paranormal soap opera. Secret romances and royal pageantry abound, and the narrative has a fun, chatty feel. As I was reading the first chapter, in which Aelwyn returns to London, I wrote in my notes: "OMG - Serena is back from boarding school!"

The alt-history premise, in which the Hundred Years war (I think??) was won by England using magic, is ver
Fatima Nauman
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Worst book I read all year... Had to be one right?
Kristen
Mar 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bibliophobia
Received a copy of this book through NetGalley. In exchange, I'm providing for an honest review.

1/5 stars

The skinny:

One young woman is the rightful heir to the Lily Throne. Marie-Victoria, a young woman with little interest in ruling, is instead interested in pursuing a life of love. She hatches a plan with her friend, Aelwyn, so that she can take her place as ruler. As other characters engage in a complex dance of power and love, Marie-Victoria and Aelwyn try to put their intricate and dange
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

I am such a sucker for Historical Fiction & Fantasy. It is my greatest weaknesses. de la Cruz and I have a pretty long history back then, Blue Bloods are one of the first vampire series that I’ve ever read and It follows up with Witches of East End which I wholeheartedly enjoy, book and tv-series wise!

The Ring and The Crown have a large group of main characters. It follow the story of four girls and two princes. Marie-Victor
Jessie Potts
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, april-2014
This was another one I have been waiting for (I scored this week!) and is written by one of my fave authors. The Ring and the Crown is a brand new fantasy series for Melissa de la Cruz and is so much fun to read. There are a lot of characters (like in most fantasies), and there are so many impressive descriptions that readers will be able to see and feel right alongside Marie and Aelwyn. The two are so different, and the cast of characters really makes the story. The cover is also gorgeous, and ...more
✨ Kaira ✨
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
believe me, I was having a great time reading this novel until what I read in the end. Truth be told, I was really planning on giving this book a solid 5 stars.

characters - they're the type of characters you'll get attached to. They're funny, realistic, and fascinating.

Marie - What I only hate about her was that she's any other princess out there, fell in love with her guard, dreams of having an ordinary life and is engaged to a ''dreamy'' guy she loathes. Nevertheless, she proved she's worthy
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointments
Read the full gif-filled spoiler-free review @A Perfection Called Books

I stumbled across this book on Goodreads and thought the story sounded intriguing and interesting. I quickly bought the book and read it in a day. Despite the rating, I really did enjoy this light read. This ONE part totally ruined the book for me though.

The Concept:

I always love reading a good historical fiction novel. This book takes place in the beginning of the twentieth century, and Great Britain is still basically the
Krys

The Ring & The Crown is the first book in a new series by Melissa de la Cruz. Having been a fan of her Blue Bloods series I was curious what she would do with historic fantasy. I am very pleased to say that this book lived up to its potential. I enjoyed it from page one until the end. It’s a really great book.

That said, there’s not a lot that happens plot wise. It’s entirely character driven, so I’ll try to condense it as much as possible without spoiling it for everyone. Here we go.

In 1429

• Tsarina
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Camelot Burning (Metal & Lace, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Brazen
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
  • Far Shore
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Forbidden (Forbidden, #1)
  • Diamonds & Deceit (At Somerton, #2)
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Chasing Power
  • Salt (Salt, #1)
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like

The Ring and the Crown (2 books)
  • The Lily and the Cross (The Ring and the Crown, #2)
“It was a story they could tell their children, something out of a fairy tale. How their mother had not known who he was when she accepted him, and the frog turned out to be a prince. But the princess had been unwilling to kiss the frog, the prince remained warty and unloved, and now there was no adventure to be had.” 11 likes
“What happened to your face?' she asked.
'It fell on a fist.' He shrugged.
'That happens a lot?'