Start by marking “The Geography of You and Me” as Want to Read:
The Geography of You and Me

Read Excerpt

The Geography of You and Me

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  30,788 ratings  ·  3,439 reviews
Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they’re rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon mov ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Poppy

To ask other readers questions about The Geography of You and Me, please sign up.
Cheska the Great is Not Okay Personally I liked TIWHLK more. (I gave it 5 stars while I gave this 4 stars.) But some people complained about TIWHLK being boring and cliche, so I…morePersonally I liked TIWHLK more. (I gave it 5 stars while I gave this 4 stars.) But some people complained about TIWHLK being boring and cliche, so I think some people will find TGOYAM better, depending on how they found the previous book. :)(less)
Amariah Dixon Yes! There's definitely a good bit of traveling. One of the main things the plot revolves around is traveling. Long-distance relationships. This and…moreYes! There's definitely a good bit of traveling. One of the main things the plot revolves around is traveling. Long-distance relationships. This and The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight (by the same author) are good "travel" books. :) (less)

·  30,788 ratings  ·  3,439 reviews

Start your review of The Geography of You and Me
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014, arcs
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

1 Star with a bonus Star for a good cover/title.

WARNING: I SPOIL THE CRAP OUT OF THIS BOOK

Lucy is super emo because her parents are never around and she’s friendless. (How do you avoid the oft present “we’re dealing with teenagers, where the hell are the parents” question? Well, this book just ships the parents off to Paris, leaving their 16 year old daughter at home in New York City all alone. Problem solved.)

Owen is super emo since his mom recently passed away and his father moved them to Necover/title.
WARNING:
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Funny how the story started with a total black out from New York all the way to Canada when our own power went out too. It’s like fate or something and just like fate, some things/people are just meant to be together like the spoon and fork. There are certain instances when they have to part ways because soup only requires a spoon while pasta only needs a fork but that’s perfectly okay because deep down papa spoon and mama fork know they will be together eventually. This is usually the common th
Farah 🌈
"A blackout in New York City brings together two teenagers in Jennifer E. Smith's new romantic YA novel."
Let me tell you one thing, in my opinion Jennifer E. Smith is one of the best YA authors ever (+1 for the fact that she is a nerdfighter). Her books are just awesomesauce and they may not float everyone's boat but hell to the YES they make me feel all fluffy inside so long story short: I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK!
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6on...

3.75*
This book was basically just what I needed: a mindless, cute, fun romance that was just really easy to read. I see my reading slump coming to an end very very soon.
Giselle
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, arc

Super cute as expected. Jennifer E. Smith has given us another sigh-inducing, feel-good read that leaves you with a smile on your face. I adore these books of hers and each one is like a little escape into a fairy-tale kind of perfect romance story. While The Geography of You and Me may be my least favorite of hers, it's far from a disappointment!

If you're a fan of this author you pretty much know what to expect when you get into one of her books. Her characters are likable, the romance is always swoon-worthy, and
Daiane
Not this time Smith... Not this time.
Ash Wednesday
2.5 STARS
The point wasn’t the distance. It was the homecoming.

God, I just love that sentiment.

And I truly felt that this had a lot of beautiful moments and heartfelt intentions that just got lost in that thick bog of mediocrity with a droning narrative, a climax-less plot, a pair of charmless protagonists and the non-existent chemistry between them. In yet another exercise in frustration, this wasn’t offensively bad, but the stilted potential just shoves the disappointment obnoxiously THERE. Front and center. In. Your. Face.

Lucy (a fSTARS
The
Ari
Adorable and quite emotional!

The Geography of You and Me is mostly descriptive - it shows snippets of moments suspended in time, it describes deep emotions, and still the author managed to 'show' not simply to 'tell' and I was soon very much in love with the beauty of this story.

There was so much that I loved about it:
- their first meeting, even the one in San Francisco, with the fiasco ending;
- the insi
Arianne (in uni)
Weee! 2014 is going to be a great year!
description
Cherry
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Goodness. With all the fluffiness and cuteness in the world.

description
It all starts off with a sudden blackout in the city...
Have you ever imagined a city with No electricity, No connections, and Only darkness...
A city only lit by the moon and stars...

The story's realistic and relatable and the story itself is what makes the whole book seems so adorable.

Crossed path of two young people. Blackout. Separation. Travels. Settlemeadorable.
Crossed
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, z2015
3.5/5. This book was exactly what I was expecting. It was a light quick read and it was cute. When I pick up these books I don't really expect them to be life-changing or that meaningful so I hardly ever give them 5 stars. I expect these books to just give me a little bit of enjoyment and I did enjoy this book.

The characters were likeable and I liked the story. I felt the execution was okay. I think Jennifer E. Smith could have done a lot better. There was no insta-love which is always a good t
Maida
(This review has been edited to include an addendum, which will hopefully illustrate what I mean by "bad writing").

After reading & falling in love with Laura Kaye's Hearts in Darkness, I jumped at the chance to read another novel about two strangers who are trapped in an elevator in the middle of a citywide blackout. I was hoping that The Geography of You & Me would be a Young Adult (PG-13) version of Hearts in Darkness. Sadly, however, the only similarity between these two novels IS the broken elevator.
Susane Colasanti
Jennifer E. Smith represents the absolute best in YA writing, and readers will carry this poignant love story in their hearts far after the last sentence is read.
Natalie Monroe
"His eyes caught hers through the darkness and the elevator felt suddenly smaller than it had been minutes ago."

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with YA contemporaries of late. Ever since the success of Anna and the French Kiss, there have been an influx of the same cookie-cutter romance, with their own brand of a unique 'twist', but reads more like a sad imitation of Meg Cabot in her heyday.

The Geography of You and Me falls into the same trap, except it cut more because I was expecting, well, more. This is the sam
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Postcards, e-mail, family, moving, travelling.

This was quite a sweet story, and I quite liked it.

But it was quite... Well. How many times have I just used that word?

As lovely as this story was, I don't think it's something that's really gonna stick with me. Sure, it was sweet and enjoyable, but there was nothing truly stand-out about it, nothing that would compel me to read again.

It was something nice to pass the time, but something that I've also quite
Gayathri
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story starts with Owen and Lucy stuck in an elevator when the whole city plunges into darkness. It is instant chemistry and once they are rescued they roam around the city and end up chatting for hours. They end up spending their night gazing at stars from their rooftop. As fate intervenes, they both leave New York City soon and part ways.

Owen and his father are trying to get over their loss of their mother and go on a road trip across America. Lucy joins her parents in London wh
Kate (GirlReading)
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
The Geography of You and Me was a cute contemporary read. Unfortunately I wasn't too invested in the characters and I've never been the biggest fan of instalove but I thoroughly enjoyed the vivid descriptions of each individual city and country this book travelled to. Having now read a few of Jennifer E. Smith's books, I'd say this was my least favourite when it came to the writing. For me, it didn't flow as smoothly and have the same fun, quick dialogue as the previous books I've read of hers. ...more
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
Have you ever finished a book and felt as though not a lot happened during the story? Or have you ever finished a book and felt very underwhelmed by it? Well, that’s how I feel about The Geography of You and Me and, I’m starting to feel as though maybe I’m just not meant to enjoy any of Smith’s work.

The premise of The Geography of You and Me is very cute. It’s about two teenagers – Lucy and Owen – who live in the same apartment complex but they don’t meet until they find themselves stuck inside an
Kathleen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5

I actually really ended up enjoying this book. It’s a nice fluffy contemporary.
Angela
Jul 31, 2013 marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... not sure yet. Jennifer E. Smith still hasn't wrote a book that wows me. Maybe this will be the one?
Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.
In the midst of problems: personally, mentally, physically, emotionally and financially, throughout the general pressure and stress of finding my way through those problems and moving on with life, I found The Geography of You and Me on NetGalley. I'd been interested in this book ever since I knew it would exist, going as far as it being my first ever Waiting on Wednesday post, and the moment I saw it, I knew I had to request it; it sounded and looked fantastic, so sitting and waiting, waiting a ...more
Carrie
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy and Owen live in the same apartment building in New York but had never actually met one another until one day they end up in the same elevator when the power goes out. Stuck together the two make conversation and find they like one another. After getting out of the elevator Lucy and Owen spend an amazing night together while waiting out the blackout.

Unfortunately for this pair other circumstances end up splitting them apart as each of their families make plans to leave New York. Getting in
Chelsey Ellice
This book was such a fun and cute read, one that I just wanted to keep picking up to finish and see how it ended. Long distance would be so hard but it is possible. I loved how Lucy and Owen had little in jokes and I loved that on there first post card to each other they wrote the same thing. They accidentally met but they couldn't forget each other after it and loved all the little post cards. I wish we still wrote post cards
Lizzie
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun and cute contemporary! I loved the two main characters, as well as the duo POV's. The travel aspect was one of my favorite things about this book; I really enjoyed getting to read about London, Scotland, Paris, etc.
I think that the story overall was well written and I'm looking forward to reading Jennifer's other novels. :)
Andrea
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
2.5 Stars
Think of a shiny, beautiful red balloon, inflated to capacity. All that promis!! And then, a slow leak. Ffffllllllluuubbbbppppp.
That was the plot. Intriguing hook at the start, likable characters....but then it never really goes anywhere special. And everything falls flat. Oh well.
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
“If you were to draw a map of the two of them, of where they started out and where they would both end up, the lines would be shooting away from each other like magnets spun around on their poles. And it occurred to Owen that there was something deeply flawed about this, that there should be circles or angels or turns, anything that might make it possible for the two lines to meet again. Instead, they were both headed in the exact opposite directions. The map was as good as a door swinging shut. ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
You guys, I finally finished! I’m free! The Geography of You and Me has been my personal torture device for the last month. Over a month. Let’s just say that it’s entirely abnormal for a book to take me a whole month, but I would leave this and not want to read anymore. Should I have DNFed? Maybe so. However, I wanted to see if the book was really going where I thought it was going (spoiler: yes). Also, I just really wanted to like Jennifer E. Smith’s books. I mean, LOOK at that cover. It’s so f ...more
Fuzaila
I don't believe in the whole love-in-a-day thing but the audiobook was good. Wouldn't really recommend though.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: standalones
I thought the whole thing was a little jumpy. It was a cute story but the important bits like Lucy's relationship with her parents and Owen's unresolved feelings about his mother's death never felt properly resolved. Also, L and O's break-ups with Liam and Paisley respectively were completely glossed over! If it was longer, and with more emotional detail, I think I would've liked it a heck of a lot more. I did, however, enjoy the banter even if I did see a pattern of repeating what each other ha ...more

• #16thingsithoughtweretrue
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • The Chance You Won't Return
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • The Last Forever
  • The Summer I Found You
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Heartbeat
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • This Side of Salvation
  • A Blind Spot for Boys
  • The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)
  • The Edge of Falling
  • Being Sloane Jacobs
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Open Road Summer
  • The Museum of Intangible Things
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of eight books for young adults, including WINDFALL and THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and her writing has been translated into 33 languages.
“But there's no such thing as a completely fresh start. Everything new arrives on the heels of something old, and every beginning comes at the cost of an ending.” 169 likes
“There was no point in waiting for someone who hadn't asked, and there was no point in wishing for something that would never happen.” 128 likes