Start by marking “Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight” as Want to Read:
Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight

Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight

(Space Taxi #1)

Archie Morningstar learns a big family secret and helps save the universe. All before breakfast!
It's not every day a regular kid like Archie gets to wake up at midnight. But today is Take Your Kid to Work Day, and Archie is finally allowed to ride along in his dad's taxi cab. He has been waiting eight years, eight months, and eight days for this moment to arrive.
But he's
Published April 1st 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Space Taxi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Taxi

Rashika (is tired)
Occasionally, I will pick up a book that I have never heard of because I like the cover and the title. That’s what I did with this book and look where it got me? SUCKED INTO YET ANOTHER SERIES. Curse all the cute kid books. They’re always sucking me in with their adorableness and I am left to deal with the consequences.

Reasons to read this book

-It features a talking alien cat nicknamed Pockets. This reminds me of that time when I was in third grade and wrote a story about an alien family whose d
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Neil Gaiman’s Fortunately, the Milk

Let’s blast off into space!

”Streaks of color fly past our windows almost faster than I can see them. I gasp as we twist and turn like we’re on the universe’s longest roller coaster.”

I loved this book! Archie Morningstar’s smile, enthusiasm, and energy shoot off the pages! I laughed and smiled right along with him as they zipped and dipped through the stars.

This is a big night for eight years, eight months, and eight days old Archie Morningstar. He is off to work with Dad in his taxi cab. But Arc
AMY
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 4-5
101 pages. Great story for boys. A boy named Archie goes with his dad one night to see what he does for a living. It turns into a whole intergalactic adventure. Kids will like this one. Not too long and a fast moving plot. Highly recommended for Grades 4-5.
David
Full disclosure first: I met Wendy Mass at a library meet and greet yesterday, mostly because my daughter (an English teacher) was unable to attend. I had done a bit of preparation, going to the author's website to see what she had done, and downloaded one of her more recent books that caught my attention, Pi in the Sky. A quick reading in that book was sufficient to spark my interest beyond simply meeting a random author.

This chapter book was given to me, autographed to my grandson, right in t
Sarah Johnson
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this aloud to my three year-old. It is the first chapter book I read to him. He picked it out at the library and I was doubtful about reading it because he had never sat for a story with no pictures. It was a huge hit. There are not many illustrations, but the ones that are in the story are cute and funny and help listeners to visualize the action.

Since this is the first chapter book I read aloud to my son and because he is so young, we re-read every chapter. I read two chapters at a tim
Jeannie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-pyrca
This is story isn't just on "Take your child to work day." Archie Morningstar is introduced to his family's business of being space taxi drivers. Archie learns that he had talent for being a navigator. This is sort of like Men In Black. This first adventure has the Morningstars and Pocket the cat (secret agent) saving the world. It is a whirlwind adventure with a bit of science and humor thrown in. It would be a good read.
Prince William Public Library System
Space Taxi is very fun science fiction book which consists of fun science facts and knowledge about space.It is the story of 8 years old kid name Archie morning star who travels in space taxi. he is exactly 8 years eight months and eight day when he goes for adventure with his dad. It is full of adventures and science books. I recommend every one to read this cool science fiction book.

-Biswesh, PWPLS Teen Summer Reader

Click here to find the book at the Prince William County Public Library Syste
Kaia
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son enthusiastically read this early chapter book out loud to me. He has been ready for chapter books for while, but it has been hard to find ones he wants to read, so I am excited that there are more books in this series. What child wouldn't want to be the co-pilot for his/her dad's space taxi? Cute story that is high interest for kids who would enjoy being in a space taxi, and there are at least one or two illustrations per chapter.
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my kindergarten son and we both loved it. It’s funny (not slapstick) and has great descriptive language. it has a few pictures scattered throughout. We’re just transitioning away from picture books and my son said at one point he wished there were more pictures but that he could see what was happening really good in his head. It’s a sweet story, is set in outer space, has some suspense with enough humor to never be scary and alien cat- everything a kid needs to love a book!
Sean Harding
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Another entry into the word world of young people literature, with this one being about an interplanetary space taxi and a young person saving the day with the assistance of a race of space cats and fighting bad guys from an organisation named B.U.R.P (yes that's right, and no one knows what it stands for either)
Anyway pretty below average book with lots of exclamation points and little character development.
Lisa Fabiano
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It's Take Your Kid to Work Day, and Archie is excited to finally ride in his Dad's taxi. What he doesn't know is that this will not be an ordinary taxi ride. He will encounter wormholes, talking cats and the Intergalactic Security Force. Take equal parts adventure, science and humor and you get a great read by Wendy Mass and Michael Brawer.
Angelika
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jessica
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
An elementary level chapter book filled with a dad's secret "taxi man" job and an out of this world adventure with plenty of twists and turns. What I liked most about this book is the main character is supposed to be an 8 year old and the "voice" in which the story is told rings true. Girls and boys alike will hop in the taxi with Archie and enjoy the ride!
Sharon Buxton
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
B. fiction, children's fiction, grade 2, humor, father/son, fantasy, adventure, series, (Space Taxi, #1), grandchildren book-of-the-month candidate
Lisa
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
What a ride! I really really enjoyed this fast-paced intergalactic read. It remind of my Neil Gaiman's Fortunately, the Milk and that's a good thing.
Nancy
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Great premise -- son is father's co-pilot on an interstellar taxi -- written well. The right amount of suspense and surprise for young readers. Perfect for my second graders.
Jenny
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2017
Cute early chapter book. Silly and space-y. Will probably order the series for my library.
Tyler Weidman
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Archie's dad is a taxi driver. But not just any taxi driver, he's a SPACE taxi driver! Archie learns this one day when his dad wakes him up on midnight to take him along to "Take you kid to work day". Archie reads the map and copilot's his dad from planet to planet to pick up Aliens. During what Archie thought was going to be an ordinary taxi shift, he ends up helping a police cat arrest an alien criminal! After the shift is over, the cat agrees to go back to Earth with Archie and help him to de ...more
Lindsay Johnson
Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight by Wendy Maas and Michael Brawer is about a boy who gets to go to work with his dad, who is a taxi driver. Archie soon discovers that his dad is no ordinary taxi driver, but a space taxi driver who travels to distant galaxies and planets. Archie also discovers that he has a special talent: a space map reader, just like his grandpa who has retired to a planet with three suns. Archie and his dad begin their first mission of the night and picks up Mr. Fitch. While th ...more
Diane
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
"This has got to be the BEST Take Your Kid to Work Day in the history of the universe."

Archie Morningstar has been waiting 8 years, 8 months and 8 days for this. He finally gets to go with his dad on his job. And even though he has to get up at midnight (Dad works the night shift as a taxi driver), Archie couldn't be more awake and ready to go. "I'm itching to explore." And with his metal tube in hand, he gets in the car with dad. Grandpa always told him that he'd "need (the tube) one day and I'
Samantha
On Take Your Child to Work Day Archie learns that his dad doesn't just drive a taxi, but a space taxi! He finds out he has the magical abilities required of a co-pilot and helps navigate him and his father to a faraway galaxy where the duo becomes a part of a plot to catch a thief.

Along the way Archie crosses paths with a talking cat who turns out to be the same age as himself, 8, whom he affectionately refers to as Pockets.

This first book in the series is off to a great start and blends facts
Caryn Caldwell
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
At midnight on the day Archie turns eight years, eight months, and eight days old, he finally gets to see what his dad does for a living. But it turns out his father doesn't just do the night shift in a taxi. He's an intergalactic taxi driver, using wormholes to deposit aliens from one planet onto another. Archie knew his dad had a cool job; he just had no idea how cool it actually was.

This is a humorous chapter book that incorporates a little science into the adventure. While it seemed like the
Jeff Harris
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a new series of books that definitely has a unique concept, as Archie Morningstar gets to head out for one night with his dad on a "Take Your Child to Work" excursion, and discovers that he definitely isn't your typical, run-of-the-mill taxi driver! The two head out on a fun outer space adventurer, picking up a passenger on an alien planet, meeting a cat who turns out to be more than just a friendly, furry feline, and uncovering a crime in progress! I think that this book wi ...more
Munro's Kids
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great little primary book! I really enjoyed the wacky premise and fun adventure. Archie goes to work with his taxi-driving dad, only to discover that the beat-up taxi is a space ship that delivers aliens to and from distant planets. Archie turns out to be a natural navigator - getting them through wormholes and onto planets just in time. And then there's the intergalactic conspiracy and white spy-cat. Fun and well written, I'm looking forward to recommending this one! I wish the art w ...more
Dean Lombardo
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny story about an eight-year-old boy who learns his father is not just a taxi driver, but a space-taxi driver. While I had a technical thought about each planet along the space route having its own local taxi service for pickups, the story quickly consumed me and had me laughing about hilarious space cats. I recommend this book for young readers and parents reading to their kids. A delightful novel for young imaginations and families encouraging young ones to read.
Martha
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This wacky science fiction tale about Archie and his taxi driver father is full of surprises and loads of fun. The black and white illustrations are drawn in a cartoonlike bold humorous style, breaking up the text for easier reading. Kids will enjoy the science facts entwined in the story, and in the back of the book there are short passages on gravity, wormholes, and exoplanets. This title is a winner that readers will be delighted to devour, as they wait eagerly for the sequels.
Debra
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A new chapter book series that I think young readers will really enjoy! When Archie goes to work with his dad one night he finds out that his dad isn't an ordinary taxi-driver - he drives a Space Taxi. Archie learns how to be his dad's co-pilot and is soon involved in helping solve some intergalactic crime. The book is a little bit sci-fi and a little bit mystery. I received my ARC from a parent who went to NCTE.
Marcie
I was just lookijg for a beginning reader series and this is it! Kids will love the science fiction aspect and even though it's predictable, I like how Archie doesn't see what all tge readers will. It seems to me a stroke of genius to have the chapters get longer in an attempt to build stamina for tge readers. I should probably read more of this level book to see if that s common practice.
Ms.Gaye
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's Take Your Kid to Work Day and Archie has been waiting eight years, eight months, and eight days for his dad to take him for a ride in his taxi. It's the biggest surprise of his life when they zoom into outer space! This story is exciting and humorous. With occasional illustrations and 100 pages of text, it's just right for early chapter book readers.
Karen Arendt
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hang onto your hats! Archie is going to work with his dad on Take Your Kid to Work Day. Only Archie's dad isn't an ordinary taxi driver, he is an intergalactic taxi driver. Archie learns that he can read intergalactic maps as dad's co-pilot. And, there is criminal activity afoot.- someone wants to destroy the galaxy. A fun read that will appeal to those that like aliens.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop #1)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Detective Gordon: The First Case
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • The Miniature World of Marvin & James (The Masterpiece Adventures, #1)
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • Star Wars The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Chews Your Destiny (Gumazing Gum Girl, #1)
Wendy Mass is the author of twenty-two novels for young people, including A Mango-Shaped Space, which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award, Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall, the Willow Falls, Space Taxi and Candymakers series. Wendy wrote the storyline for an episode of the television show Monk, entitled ...more

Space Taxi (5 books)
  • Space Taxi: Water Planet Rescue
  • Space Taxi: Archie's Alien Disguise
  • Space Taxi: The Galactic B.U.R.P.
  • Space Taxi: B.U.R.P. Strikes Back