Start by marking “Heaven's Queen (Paradox #3)” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)

Heaven's Queen

(Paradox #3)

From the moment she took a job on Captain Caldswell's doomed ship, Devi Morris' life has been one disaster after another: government conspiracies, two alien races out for her blood, an incurable virus that's eating her alive.

Now, with the captain missing and everyone -- even her own government -- determined to hunt her down, things are going from bad to impossible. The se
Paperback, US edition, 373 pages
Published April 22nd 2014 by Orbit

Brandi
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok

Oh man. That was painful. I fawned pretty hard over the first book in this trilogy, and I think I'll see that it stands the test of time as far as books I really got into, but with each book came more and more issues for me. This last one wasn't technically bad per se, but the romance completely eclipsed the storyline, and several times made me feel like Devi and Rupert were barely the same people.

Devi was just coming out of the hyperspace jump with Rupert at the end of the last book, and tha
mich
~all spoilers for the series/book are marked~

Goddamn mother-effing shit crap romance ruined what could’ve been a kickass trilogy!

SHIT!!!

I am hugely disappointed. So here’s the thing: Right from the get-go, I have never been on board with Devi’s relationship with her love interest, (view spoiler) BUT I’ve still been able to enjoy the previous books despite that - I've enjoyed them A LOT, actually. I had
Tabitha
The first blast knocked me down,
The second ripped out my heart,
The finale? Hell just cue the gosh damn applause if you will

Read my interview with the author, Rachel Bach.

Heaven’s Queen for me was an entirely different creature than the first two books in the trilogy. It was still action packed and ran high with tension but I think it also felt more comfortable. I know the characters now, I’m invested, emotionally attached, alright lets face it I’m a Paradox junkie at this point – so as I picked
Chip
Oct 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Horrible. If I'd known the series was going to turn into Twilight in space I wouldn't have started it. Five chapters in, and it's still 90% the heroine and Rupert and their dangerous hotness for each other. Enough already. And, on top of that, the plotting, logic and characterization just fell off a cliff. Devi is responsible for the death of one third of an entire species - but doesn't even stop to consider being troubled by that. (I guess Rupert's abs are too distracting.) The fight between hi ...more
Allison
I had a lot of fun reading this series, and was happy with the ending. So much has changed by book 3 that it felt very different from where the series began. I did kind of miss the merc serving on a ship with a strange crew. But I was satisfied with how everything came out, both for the universe and for Devi. It was fast-paced and entertaining. Pretty much, I loved it!
Suzanne
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was action from start to finish, and a good ending to the trilogy!
Nathan
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantasy Review Barn

Ending a series can be hard. All those pesky plotlines gotta come together, characters need resolutions, and no matter how the author crafts it there will no doubt be a corner of the internet telling them just how wrong they got it. I think I would write two books in a trilogy and fake my death, it’s the only way I could avoid the pressure.

But I have now gone through a full series with Rachael Aaron/Bach twice, and no one remembered to tell her how hard this is supposed to be.
Casey
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
YES to this book but also NO to some of the scenes... I'm conflicted, okay? Let me tell you why

YES to Devi and kickass fight scenes, YES to learning about Maat: her appearance, her prison, her "craziness" YES to Lady Gray Devi's amour, even YES to some some of the romance scenes.

NO to Devis being conflicted about her feelings and decisions, NO to some of the mushiness, NO to Devi being a treated how she was (view spoiler)
Amber
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Heaven's Queen is the 3rd and final book in the Paradox trilogy. Each book can not be read singularly so it is strongly suggested you gather all three before you begin reading. The books are simple and easy to read--very quick--so would make a good weekend excursion or beach book. There isn't much if any strong language or sex, so I feel this series would be acceptable for anyone 14+.

I will admit that I enjoyed the series. The first book was highly enjoyable (I love, love, loved it!), the second
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Finding a series where the momentum of the first book carries through to next and beyond is pretty special, and when you find one, you know it’s a keeper. The tone of Heaven’s Queen is in keeping with the fast-paced, and action-filled rollicking good fun of the previous two books in the trilogy, and ends things in an explosively spectacular manner. You really don’t want to mess with protagonist Deviana “Devi” Morris; that’
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
3.5 stars for a satisfying ending. Based on some of the reviews I read, I started this book with trepidation. There are times where I'm just not interested in a love interest. I'm happy to say the romantic element to this trilogy is just right. It isn't overwhelming and even though a surprise character showed up declaring love, it did not detract from the story for me.

Devi is back and she is now complete with her memories. The problem is, everyone is gunning for her as she could be the ultimate
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
One of my favorite series of all time. I would say I wish Rachel had written more science fiction books, but, honestly, this series is so perfect, I would be afraid that nothing she could ever write again would ever measure up to the perfection that is this wonderful, wonderful series.
Shari Kay
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
More like 3.75 ✭, but I loved this series so much I'm rounding up!

Where to start? I think Ms. Bach is a very talented storyteller. I thoroughly enjoyed the way she made us feel exactly what Devi did. I felt her frustration, desperation, fear, determination and anger like I was right there with her. I absolutely hated what Devi had to endure as she tried to do the right thing; she could not catch a break. My heart broke with hers as she was betrayed, again and again. I hated all the secrets. I r
Keith
May 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
My god, this has got to be one of the worst finales to a previously great trilogy I have ever had the misfortune to give up on. 100 pages from the end and I am ready to quit in disgust. And I loved the first 2 books!

WHY DID YOU TURN HER INTO SUCH A SILLY STUPID GIRL? WHY?

I LOVED the reveal. And what does the MC do when she finds out the truth? (view spoiler)
Jen Davis
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am struggling to find the words to tell you how much I loved this without sounding like a mindless squee-machine. The first book in the series, Fortune’s Pawn, was great… I had a little trouble with parts of book two. But this final book in the trilogy gave me everything I wanted and everything I needed. It’s action-packed, emotional, and satisfying in every way. I’m still cheering inside.

If you haven’t read the books leading up to this, stop here and pick up Fortune’s Pawn. You’ll thank me. S
Allison (The Allure of Books)
There is definitely a lot of betrayal going around – but I think the way things ended up made sense. Devi is definitely not a “you’re so sweet and sensitive, LET ME LOVE YOU SQUISHY WISHY BEAR!” type of girl. She’s more of a “you look damn sexy dripping with the blood of your enemies, haaaaaay!” gal.

Check out my full review on the blog!
Catherine
The romance that never should have been the focus stole all the joy from what could have been a kick ass ending. Still, it was OK, but the lackluster love story was the main point of this one. Could have ended much better.
Katie
This would've been better as a single book, I think. It might not have saved the romance, but there's soooo much running around and people not listening to each other and that gets boring. Plus, all the supporting characters I liked in the first book disappeared almost completely.
Paul
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2015
Devi Morris isn’t just having a bad day; ever since she took on the security role on Caldswell’s ship her life has been one disaster after another. She has been in the centre of government conspiracies, two alien species are after her, and there is another alien virus that is trying to kill her. The thing to do would be to hide, keep her head down and hope that it all blows over; but she has never worked that way. She has had enough of running and wants to take the fight to them.

But this might b
Alexa
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fab-15
A satisfying end to the adventure – lots of fun with aliens – although this all felt much more like fantasy than science fiction – and a nice romance too.
It was a fun way to spend a weekend.
2.5 stars for this book but a solid 3 stars for the series as a whole.

This book wasn't bad, but it was definitely the weakest of the trilogy. The action was great and the pacing was good, but the romance was too heavy handed for me. Things got a little too sappy and OTT which I did not like. And as some other reviewers pointed out, it was like the MCs suddenly changed and became other people in this book.

I found the writing engaging, but also a little repetitive by this point. Yes, we know tha
Bonnie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I received this book free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

“The universe is infinite and strange. We cannot predict, only marvel at what it creates.”

Devi Morris’ decision to sign up for a job on a trade ship has led her into the very heart of a battle where entire worlds are destroyed and she’s the only one that can put an end to it. While this is quite possibly the worst situation sh
Kelsea
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5🌟

Loved the wrap up to this trilogy! Loose ends were tied up, the characters stayed true to their respective natures from the previous two books and there was plenty of adventure and action. Awesome trilogy I’d recommend to anyone looking for a space adventure story with an interesting female MC and some thought-provoking questions about the value of life, freedom and making moral decisions on a large scale.
Tammie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the way it all ends in this book. I think my biggest complaint about this series in general would be the inconsistency of some of the characters. They seemed to conveniently go from good to bad to good again to suit the story. This kind of resulted in the series feeling like it was going around in circles because besides Rupert, there was never anyone Devi knew she could trust. I would like to, for once read a story where the person that goes on the run stays on the run, and fixes things ...more
Nicki
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following the destruction of Reaper’s tribe, Devi and Rupert shelter on a Terran cash planet while Caldswell and his crew lead the lelgis through hyperspace and away from them. Their unplanned hyperspace jump has cost them a year’s worth of missing time, Devi’s virus is progressing towards a potentially fatal end, and they cannot turn to either of their governments for safety, as the Eyes are seeking to capture Devi and harness her virus.

This book is such a mixed bag of the brilliant and the fru
Mihir
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: I’m a big fan of Rachel Aaron, that’s pretty evident to readers of this blog. I’ve been following her books since I happened upon Spirit Thief and it’s to her credit that since 2010 she’s also finished her second series in a completely different genre. This review will be talking about the preceding titles in the Paradox trilogy so for readers who haven’t read the previous ones please stop and read the earlier books.

Heaven's Queen is the conclud
Hackmops
Heaven's Queen is the conclusion of the Paradox trilogy by Rachel Bach. Here's the thing - book one in the series, Fortune's Pawn, was my EVERYTHING. It was my ideal KISSING IN SPACE/"powered-armor space opera with kissing" (actual author quote, btw) book. It had a kick-ass merc heroine who was fucking competent at her job (I have a thing for kick-ass heroines who are competent at their thing), it had powered armor (I have a thing for powered armor), and KISSING (I have a thing for kissing) and ...more
Jason
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
5 Stars

Heaven's Queen, Paradox #3 by Rachel Bach the pseudonym for Rachel Aaron is an amazing conclusion to a series that I absolutely loved. I am giving it full marks because this one is not a let down and is fitting for this rollicking series. These are action packed, science fiction, space opera, fantasy, and romance filled stories. This series is made and carried by the larger than life kick everyone's ass, heroine named Devi Morris.

Devi is a breath of fresh air at a time when the strong
Lexie
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
Antonis
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 / 5

Heaven's Queen, by Rachel Bach, is the third and concluding part of an amazing SF action space-opera trilogy. It is a good conclusion to the trilogy, though not without its faults.
This for me is one of those reviews that are harder to write, purely due to the lack of homogeneity in the way the story develops throughout the book. In truth, this is a book of two parts: the first half which is unlike anything in the previous two books and ultimately disappoints, and the second half which is
Saucy Wenches Boo...: May - Heaven's Queen (Paradox #3) by Rachel Bach 1 7 Nov 10, 2014 03:50PM
I've grown to like this Author. 3 31 Jun 14, 2014 09:11AM
  • Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
  • Aftermath (Sirantha Jax, #5)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • The Empress Game (The Empress Game Trilogy #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation, #2)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Shades of Treason (Anomaly #1)
  • Relic of Sorrows (Fallen Empire, #4)
  • A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1)
  • After the Crown (The Indranan War, #2)
Rachel Bach grew up wanting to be an author and a super villain. Unfortunately, super villainy proved surprisingly difficult to break into, so she stuck to writing and everything worked out great. She currently lives in Athens, GA with her perpetual energy toddler, extremely understanding husband, overflowing library, and obese wiener dog. You can find out more about Rachel and all her books at ra ...more

Paradox (3 books)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox #2)
“​"If I was afraid of dying, I couldn't do half the shit I do." I told him.” 6 likes
“I didn’t often get to take the moral high ground. I was a mercenary, a killer for hire, and I made no apologies or excuses for how I lived my life. But while my hands would never be clean, I had honor.” 4 likes