Start by marking “Portrait” as Want to Read:
Portrait

Portrait

Marriage is forever; even after divorce. Or so it seems for both Sarah, a young widow, and Richard, an ambitious artist, who, each in their own very different ways, remain unduly influenced by their previous marriages. For Richard it’s all about nostalgia; for Sarah it’s all about fear.

Portrait tells the story of Sarah becoming Richard’s muse, and the complexities their ve
Published July 29th 2013 by Really Blue Books

To ask other readers questions about Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait

Sharon
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
E-book gifted by author for review

What a little gem of a novel Portrait is. What looks like a romance novel in the making is, actually a roller coaster ride full of emotions. Portrait revolves around Sarah and Richard. Sarah a single mother trying to find a way to get her life back on track after an abusive marriage and Richard an artist with regrets about a marriage that was ultimately killed by his obsession with painting.In a chance meeting, Richard meets Sarah when he is in Perth, Western Au
Rebecca Raisin
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in just two days. The writing is elegant.The various storylines weaved back and forth seamlessly, coming to a full circle which kept me riveted.
I felt so much for the main character, Sarah, and all she was going through. So many times I wanted to jump into the pages and throttle her work-mates, and this feeling of wanting to stand up for her only increased as the story unfolded. It's hard to say my favourite parts without spoiling the story, but I loved those moments where she f
Abby Vandiver
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is haunting. It draws upon the cruelty of people, the ability to recover and how, even though you are careful, you can fall prey to the insidious morals of others. But it emphasizes on a love that knows no bounds.

Portrait tells the story of a single mother, Kathy Nolan, who has endured and now eludes abuse by the hand of her husband. She is a loving and devoted mother and hard worker, and although she is now bullied at work she seems to miraculously maintain. A couple of times I had to
Nene Davies
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful story, often dark and disturbing but full of hope and strength too. It draws the reader into the life of the main character, as she strives to escape the past, cope with the present and dream for the future. All the threads of the story are cleverly woven, giving hints and insights along the way, but nothing prepares you for the ending.
Beautifully written, brimming with colour and courage, palpable fear and astonishing love, this page-turner will keep you glued to your screen
Mara
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abuse, fiction, australia, art
There are lots of good things about this book. The main character, Sarah, is incredibly well drawn. Anybody who has ever been in a similar situation of people are being mean for no apparent reason will understand exactly how she feels, and Gordan captures it very well (I expect the same is true for the abuse situation). Gordan also gives us several excellent twists toward the end of the story, making it well worth the read.

Unfortunately, there are also some serious flaws, the biggest of which wa
Ira Phillips
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book gripping and read it rapidly over 2 days, as I did not want to stop reading it.

Although I did not relate to the main characters, I was intrigued, enjoying the plot and its outcome. However, I felt frustrated for Carla and especially Sarah, who endures a long cycle of bullying. I found it strange that most of the characters victimized her for being a single mother, which seems an outdated concept.

Overall this was a good read.
Cynthia Martinez