Start by marking “Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures” as Want to Read:
Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This second edition of this best-selling guide to taking photographs while on the road has been thoroughly updated and revised to include a special new section on digital photography. Also includes new information on black and white photography techniques.
Published October 1st 2004 by Lonely Planet (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Travel Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travel Photography

Ninja Neko
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I ordered this together with another photography guidebook ( The Photographer's Eye ) right before my trip next week. I was looking for tips to improve my photography without having to deal with too many technical details (I only have a point & shoot camera anyway), but more from a composition & interest point of view. I'm not aiming to become a professional, just to take more interesting, nicer pictures. And Travel Photography was, for me, the best one. The most accessible. I've read th ...more
Angie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Leuk boek. Beetje outdated misschien. De voorbeelden waren allemaal met film geschoten, tsja dan zit je aan een iso vast.
Maar dat zoomen tijdens schieten was ik alweer vergeten.
Nicki Markus
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
This was a book I ordered with some 'points' I had to spend and I think it was a good choice.

This is a book that should suit most photographers, from beginners to intermediate level. The first half of the book is dedicated to the basics: what equipment you need, what that equipment does, and technical explanations of things such as aperture and shutter speed. This is good for the novice, but even had something to teach me at intermediate level. The author also offers tips for keeping your camer
William
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a decent book on travel photography, and indeed on photography in general. It's full of great advice on how to go about shooting fantastic images around the world, all within a small book that's perfect for sticking in your camera bag whilst on your travels.

The only downside is that for someone like myself, who only deals with digital photography, too much time is spent discussing film photography, which sometimes gives the impression that the book isn't quite as up to date as it could b
Eldan Goldenberg
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Useful manual. Fairly concise, but with enough information to still be helpful to people like me, who know the basic technical stuff pretty well but have plenty to learn about composition and material. Not much of it is actually specific to "travel", but then why would taking a picture of some other city be magically different from taking one of where I live?
David
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleanskin
2009 3rd edition. (important as cameras evolve quickly). Pretty basic book (for 368 pages) but most non professional photographers would pick up a few ideas from it that they have not come across before.
Al
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Needs an updated edition. The photography basics on composition, exposure, etc. are timeless, but the extensive number of pages dedicated to film photography and transporting/developing said film is definitely dated.
Sallie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was great for an amateur photographer like me. It coached me on how to prepare for the journey, what to bring for the journey, and how to think out of the box and take photos from different perpectives and angles.
Liz De Coster
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
Primarily advice for DSLR camera owners, but gives a lot of good advice about when to get the best light, how to pre-plan for travel photography, and photography techniques for travel situations (festivals, shop windows, etc.)
Alissa
Jun 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
A great book with excellent tips for taking photos while on your travels. I only wish I had read it a long time ago.
erry
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, photography
ada yg mau berbaik hati memberi buku ini ke gw? :D *ngarep mode on*
Polina
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
great book and although written with non digital cameras in mind, it still gives lots of relevant tips that cover all areas of travel photography. A great basics book for those just starting out.
Matthews M.
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buy-new
photography, especially travel photography, is exciting with a lot of challenges!
Chris Hoch
Jun 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: sell
Amanda
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
References to film got annoying but there's a lot of useful info in here.
Darina G.
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY helpful and covers every aspect of photography thoroughly.
Nichole
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
This book is filled with quite a few tips. Nothing really extensive but helpful nonetheless.
Decy
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
many tips are here !
how to take good composition
how to get nice lighting
how you set your diafragma
Catrin
Nov 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Through the Lens: National Geographic's Greatest Photographs
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • Lonely Planet South Africa Lesotho & Swaziland
  • Adobe Photoshop Cs3 for Photographers: A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative Use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • Langford's Basic Photography: The Guide for Serious Photographers