Start by marking “I, Saul” as Want to Read:
I, Saul

I, Saul

Told from the point of view of the disciple Luke, the apostle Paul and Augie, a modern-day scholar, I, Saul, is a fast-paced story of intrigue and mystery. Readers will be reminded of Indiana Jones and the DaVinci code as they become absorbed in this page-turner by a master storyteller. Along the way they will learn of the fictionalized but plausible story of the life of S ...more
Published August 27th 2013 by Worthy Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I, Saul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Saul

JoJo Sutis
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it-2013
It is well after 1am and I am completely enthralled in “I, Saul”.
How do I possibly begin to put into words the pure epic-ness of this story?
I have traveled from modern day Texas… back in time to the Holy Land.
I have climb Petra and glimpsed a spectacularly breathtaking view.
I have been imprisoned with Paul, down in the dark dungeon of despair.
It has been quite a journey!!!
I Saul, is unlike anything I have read before.
Adventure, danger, intrigue, mystery are just a few descriptive words that I pr
Sandra Lassiter
Oct 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I originally thought this was a biography of Saul/Paul when I first requested the book. I was somewhat disappointed to find out it was a mix of modern day and a fictionalized time that we know little about, but decided to keep an open mind. It started out fairly well, and I was enjoying it. I was taken aback that Scriptures set in Paul's time weren't from the King James Version. The modern language did NOT fit with the time and their way of speaking. Unfortunately, it got a lot worse after that. ...more
Jay Pruitt
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I, Saul - historical novel from the co-author of Left Behind series.

The apostle Paul has been imprisoned in Rome, awaiting execution. Nero has burned down much of the city in order to be able to rebuild it to his liking, and has blamed the growing sect of Christians now living in Rome and worshiping secretly in small "church" groups so as to avoid persecution. Not allowed even the smallest bit of sunlight, living on scant servings of daily gruel, Paul struggles to stay alive long enough to be ab
Heather
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, books-to-avoid
I received this book for free as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I give it two stars because there were parts of it that were marginally interesting and readable.

Despite the blurb, the pacing is very, very slow. The only urgency I felt was to finish the book so I could start something else. The characters are weak and underdeveloped, the book contains inaccuracies that shouldn't be present in a project this big, and the plot is incredibly predictable.

Every character spe
Sojourner
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Are you ready for your time-machine to transport you back in time to first century Rome, visit its dank dungeons, walk its street, see its culture and people? Are you ready to follow the life of Saul from childhood up until his final moments as Paul, the apostle? And yet, this is not just about Rome, Romans, dark dungeons or boisterous amphitheaters; it is also about present day United States and Italy with a seminary professor who races against time to save a friend and a priceless ancient manu ...more
Mila
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that loves a good history fiction novel

While reading the book I really got transformed in to the sun blazing Texas, visited the Holy Sites of Israel and got to visit Rome and see the fires burning , the tall rock walls, the dark and wet and inescapable underground prison, with dungeons that showed no mercy to the imprisoned. What made these places all over the world come to life was the point of view of main two characters in the book, who are Augie and Luke.

First I met , Dr. Augie Knox, by all accounts he appears to be a very fictio
Blossom
Difficult to get into at the start but hard to put down until the end. I will admit I had to make myself stick with this book for the first 5 or so chapters. The pace was agonizingly slow for me. I expected more from the start because there is a sense of urgency in the first chapter. But it really drags on for quite awhile. I am not a 'read the last page of a book' type, but this one I was tempted. If I'd read the last page though, I would have missed the best of this book.
I give it 3 stars beca
Dave Weiss
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. In it Jenkins goes back and forth between a first century Jerusalem and modern day life to craft a pretty cohesive thriller. We start in a Roman prison. The Apostle Paul is in his last imprisonment before his impending death. Luke is going back and forth between helping him and treating victims of a great fire in Rome, a fire ostensibly started by the Emperor Nero but blamed on the Christians as a way to crush the movement. Paul is requesting his parchments, which ...more
Clark Goble
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book by Jerry Jenkins (of Left Behind fame) alternates between the modern adventures of theology professor Augustine Knox and the Apostle Paul during the first century. Eventually, the two stories collide as Knox gets caught up in the discovery of Paul's memoirs and the illicit activities of those who seek to profit from the find.

I enjoyed this book, however, Jenkins seemed to have a much better handle on the first century timeline than its modern counterpart. The characters of Paul and Lu
Mary
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Saul, is a wonderful blend of the "Here and Now" with the "Then and There". History and Mystery, brought together by master storyteller Jerry Jenkins.
It took me a little bit to get into the story, but once I was there, oh my goodness, there is so much about this book to love. You'll see special relationships and some great character development, and I flat out guarantee that by the end of the book, you will be wanting more.
Mimi
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I know that good Christian fiction can be written - I've had the pleasure of reading some. However, this is not that. Wooden characters, stilted dialogue, thin plot, odd proto-Protestant theology in Apostolic times.
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK
WOW! This is the most interesting book! The the two parallel stories going on in this book really keeps your attention! I enjoyed the modern-day story of the theology professor from Texas, but I was especially in awe of the Apostle Paul and how he was treated and how he lived in the final days in that Roman prison. Jerry Jenkins brings the story to life in a way that I could get a better understanding of just what Paul went through. He didn’t sugar coat it at all! How hor
Jerry
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to have a fictional autobiography of Paul, but, I didn't care for the way the book was presented. It goes back and forth between Bible times and the present day, which is annoying, and the story of Saul's early days are told in flashback form. I can't help but think I'm not the only one disappointed by this book.
Sherry Allison
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out and it has stuck with me since. I really enjoyed the two stories in one combo. I know it was a fictionalized account of Saul/Paul and Luke, but it was entirely plausible. I wish I could put into words how this book touched me but alas, I fail. I just highly recommend it.
Josh Miller
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this book to read while on vacation...an historical, Biblical novel. It did not disappoint! Loved the interweaving of Saul's early life along with a modern day story. Quite clever by the author! Enjoyed the depiction of the Pharisaical sect that Saul grew up in and its adherence on outward conformity versus knowing God. Looking forward to reading the sequel...maybe on my next vacation!
Lisa (brandnewbooksmell)
Sorry JJ, I'm bored!
Phillip
This theological thriller/mystery is a slow burn that jumps from present day to Paul in the first century. The set-up is interesting in the present day tale but it takes an awful long time to reveal what's actual going on. As to Paul's story - you have Luke visiting him in jail, as the epistle-writer awaits his execution. We then get pulled into a third direction with Paul's memoirs. I enjoyed the first century story -- you get Mark, Luke, Timothy and other "cameos." The present-day thriller/mys ...more
Lauren Perotto
A very interesting premise and "what-if" that was poorly executed. I really enjoyed the present day portions, but the 1st century chapters were not well-written and weren't believable. I appreciate the parallels between characters in the different time periods, but there was little to distinguish between them. They were flat and too similar. I understand the need to modernize the language some, but the speech was so modern it detracted from the story. I also felt the love story between Saul and ...more
Allison
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
This was the first book by Jenkins I have ever read. I found it to be entertaining, extremely interesting and altogether believable (I WISH!).

The novel moves back and forth between modern-day USA, modern-day Rome and first-century Rome, and centers around parchments written in Rome during the first century that have been discovered in the present day.

My only criticism is of the author's choice to jump back and forth between time periods. I realize this is an option used by many authors, and in
Wendy Apple
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the mix of the modern with the old. It reminds me that God's Word is as relevant today as it was in Biblical times. I think there was too much liberty taken with the suggestion of Saul and Naomi having affections for one another. That information is unknown. The book has encouraged me to look more into the life of Saul/Paul. I love that Jenkins expressed Saul/Paul's full on devotion to what he thought was right and his passion for The Savior. That was a great representation of how I see ...more
Kris
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Once I picked it up and started reading, I had a very hard time putting it down and just couldn't wait to turn another page! The book went back and forth between modern day Augie, a seminary professor, and Luke and/or Paul from the 1st century. Just when things are getting heated up in one story, the author switches back to the other story. So it is historical fiction as well as suspenseful Christian fiction. Really great read and I highly recommend!
Michael Bell
I could have done without the modern part of this story. The story of Saul was intriguing. There was a correlation between the modern find of Paul's writings and his imprisonment in a Roman cell. There were some murders based on the find. The writer illustrated the risks that Christians faced in trying to spread the word of Jesus' life. I was also impressed by the education of Jewish scholars. They were definitely threatened by the followers of Christ. He suffered a martyr's death.
Pam Quigley
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone. I found the book at a discount book store and was intrigued by concept of the story. This book is two stories intertwined. I typically don't care for books that jump back and forth between stories but with this book I was eager to change chapters to continue with both stories. I will be lending this book to my neighbor and hope she enjoys it as much as I did.
Marquita Haydon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this!

The story moves from Saul’s time to a present time story, back and forth, just when you couldn’t wait for the next scene in Saul’s time the next chapter took you to the story of Augie, Sofia, and Roger’s mysterious and surprising experience. I recommend this book highly to all.
Stacey Lozano
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fiction
It took me a while to care about the characters, over 50 pages but something kept me going, and I'm glad I did. It was a good book, and I enjoyed the fictional account of Saul. I'm guessing the second book, I, Paul, will pick up where this one left off.
David Champagne
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that allowed me to see different aspects of the Bible clearer

Excellent book that allowed me to see different aspects of the Bible clearer. I would recommend to anyone who has a long commute and or just enjoys reading
Danna
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice read if you like religious information cloaked in fictional stories. Still it was interesting though sometimes a little lengthy. Gives us an idea of what that event was like in that time periocd.
Sonja Labuschagne
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going back to Biblical times

I love historical fiction based on biblical events. This book did not disappoint. Knowing exactly what the apostle Paul went through we will never know, but this book gives a glimps of it. The end of the book left me wanting more.
Skriker
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great history. Powerful message. A little predictable in the contemporary chapters but good none the less.
Paloma Rosales
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a fascinating take on the man Paul from the biblical times. Jenkins definitely took me for a thrilling ride through Europe and it felt so tense reading every other chapter.
historicity 1 10 Jun 27, 2013 02:26PM
A review of I, Saul 1 10 Jun 24, 2013 10:41AM
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles #1)
  • Mark's Story: The Gospel According to Peter (The Jesus Chronicles, #2)
  • The Covered Deep
  • Daughter of Jerusalem
  • Conspiracy of Silence (Tox Files, #1)
  • The Advocate
  • So Shines the Night (Seven Wonders #5)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • The Devil's Game
  • Midnight on the Mississippi (Secrets of the South Mysteries #1)
  • Of Fire and Lions
  • Christmas at Holly Hill
  • Gideon's Call
  • A Cry for Justice
  • Mistletoe Memories (Romancing America)
  • The Turning
  • Promised To Another (Amish of Seymour County, #3)
  • Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of the Human Fossils
Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 185 books, including mysteries, historical fiction, biblical fiction, cop thrillers, international spy thrillers, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature Christians as protagonists. In 2005, Jenki ...more