Start by marking “Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles #2)

Dune Messiah

(Dune #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  106,023 ratings  ·  2,839 reviews
The bestselling science fiction series of all time continues! This second installment explores new developments on the desert planet Arrakis, with its intricate social order and its strange threatening environment. DUNE MESSIAH picks up the story of the man known as Maud'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to fruition an ambition of unparalleled scale: the centurie ...more
Published November 15th 1984 by Berkley (first published October 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Dune Messiah, please sign up.
Serpent-Slayer Wolfsbaine The appropriate readership for the novels of Frank Herbert, is from adolescent to adult. A reasonably mature adolescent should have no problem with…moreThe appropriate readership for the novels of Frank Herbert, is from adolescent to adult. A reasonably mature adolescent should have no problem with the content, however, any younger than that, it might be better to stick with Tolkien.(less)

·  106,023 ratings  ·  2,839 reviews

Markus
Buddy read with Athena!

"Once more the drama begins."
- The Emperor Paul Muad'dib on his ascension to the Lion Throne

Twelve years have passed since the Battle of Arrakeen, where Paul Atreides wrestled the Imperium from the hands of the Padishah Emperor, and seized the Lion Throne for himself. Dune has become the political and economical centre of the universe, and the Qizarate priesthood has spread Muad'dib's name throughout space and turned him into not only an emperor with absolute power, but a
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only half the length of the original Dune, the second book in the series takes place 12 years after.

Not as epic, this is almost like a chamber western, with political intrigue and references to great goings on, but little action described. The feel of the book is like a prelude to what comes next, that the third book will be the true sequel to Dune.

For fans of Dune, no doubt, and you really need to have read Dune first, to know the characters and to at least have a clue about Herbert's complex
Manny
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
So I thought Dune was the best thing since the bound codex, right? And I read it about five times over the course of my young-adulthood. And then I read Messiah and was pretty much completely dissatisfied. Not enough to give it a poor rating, since it is interesting (I mean, we all still care about Paul, even if he is a whiner) and it did keep my attention.
You haven't seen foreshadowing until you've read Dune Messiah. It takes that to a whole new, grotesque level. And pretentiousness. Thought Du
Evgeny
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Twelve years have passed since the evens of the last book. Paul Atreides became an Emperor of the major part of the inhabited space worlds residing on planet Arrakis aka Dune. The Jihad he launched enveloped lots of planets and Paul realized it is often so much easier to start something than put an end to it. Literally everybody and their brother with even residual lust for power decided Paul the Emperor had overstayed his welcome; the time for good old conspiracies of all sorts had come.

The fi
Michael Finocchiaro
Having re-read Dune (and reviewed it here on GR) recently, I figured I should continue and read at least the initial trilogy with Dune Messiah and Children of Dune to get a better idea of the world that Frank Herbert created. I am glad that I read Dune Messiah. It is an excellent novel about destiny and fate and how much of it we can control. We get more insight into the Navigators - here I noticed that, unlike in Dune, we actually meet a Navigator (one of the three primary conspirators against ...more
Eric Allen
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dune Messiah
By Frank Herbert

A Dune Retrospective by Eric Allen

Four years after the publication of Dune, those who cried out for a sequel were finally answered. Frank Herbert returned to Arrakis for a book that was very different from the action packed first volume of the series, but at the same time, still held a lot of the familiar. When I tell people that I actually enjoyed the sequel to Dune more than the original, the answer I get from the overwhelming majority is, "Wait . . . Dune has a seq
Tim
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I said in my review of Dune that one of the things I really appreciated was that it could be “viewed on so many different levels, from political, philosophical, scientific, or simply as a fantastic adventure novel... and it works so well, no matter which angle you look at it from, because Herbert treats each of them as equally important.” While writing the sequel, I think Herbert must have considered it and said something along the lines of, “Yeah, that was great… now let’s pretty much ignore ev ...more
Hasham Rasool
This book is very different from the first book, 'Dune' because this book has focused about the religion. 'Dune' has focused the world a lot.

At the first, I wasn't sure whether this book would be good. The reason I have doubted it because I wasn't sure how the writer has written towards Islam. He has done very well.

I am really enjoyed reading this book Alhamdulillah.
Nicholas West
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
When I first read Dune Messiah, it was nearly twenty years ago and like a lot things time had erased most of the details from my brain - including the ending.

So digging into it last week was a treat; felt like something new. From re-discovering characters and themes, to gaining an understanding that my seventeen-year-old brain wasn't able to yet comprehend.

As a note on my assessment style: Part of me wants to respond to other reviewers here on Goodreads concerning their literary criticisms. How
Jamie
May 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Frank Herbert's classic science fiction novel Dune when I first read it a few months ago --so much so that I named it one of the best books I read that year. But upon finally getting around to the sequel, Dune Messiah I'm pretty disappointed. It's really boring.

Don't get me wrong, I can see some of the impressive literary clockwork that Herbert assembles in the book. Where Dune told the story of Paul Muad’Dib's rise to the Emperor, controller of the universe's only source of the c
Penny
This was a good sequel to a great book, which is actually harder to pull off than we give authors credit for. When they set the bar so high with an exceptional first novel in a series they're expected to meet or better it which is not an easy task. I think it was very well done in this case.

12 years have passed since the end of Dune. We're thrust into a world where the long term consequences of actions taken in the first book are evident and seldom what we expected or what was intended.

There we
Cavanşir Gadimov
Dune sadece bir bilim kurgu ve fantastik bir kitap değildir. İçinde gerçeğin ta kendisinin çekirdeklerini taşıyan bir yapıttır. İnanç nasıl yönlendirilir, fanatizm nasıl milyonların canını alır, güç ve güç mücadelesindeki olayların hepsi gerçek olayları anlatırmışçasına bize bilim kurgu tadıyla sunuluyor.
Kitapla ilgili incelemem için: http://kitapokurum.blogspot.com/2018/...
Timothy Urges
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You stand in a valley between dunes. I stand on the crest. I see where you do not see. And, among other things, I see mountains which conceal distances.

All power is limited.

Treasonous conspirators seek to destroy the emperor. And the deified emperor’s visions may cause self-destruction.

This book is slower than the first, with not much happening until the last third of the text. It seems more like a setup for the book that follows.

The world-building and mysticism make these books worth the eff
Apatt
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally look at reviews of a book prior to writing my own take on it, but sometime I just draw a blank after finishing a book. Some books are harder to review than others, sometime because I feel ambivalent about them, sometime I don’t fully understand them, and sometime I don’t know the reason, they just are. After finishing Dune Messiah I feel like I need some kind of launching pad to start off the review, some inspiration or perhaps I will resort to simply ripping off somebody’s revi ...more
Stephen
5.0 stars. Second volume in the superb Dune series. I actually liked this volume even more than Dune. If possible I would recommend listening to the audio version of this series as the production value is amazing. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!!
Rose
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
While it wasn't as grand (or as long) as Dune, I would say Dune Messiah was a very important part of the Dune series. This is the link between Paul and his becoming Muad'dib and his children's rule over Arrakis. Even though it was shorter, and we were already familiar with this dune world, there were many important things that took place. This is a must read for Dune fans.

Now, the reason for the three stars...Dear God I hate Herbert's writing style. Blah, blah, blah, gibber jabber. It felt at t
Derek
Never has my fickle reader's heart been as frustrated and wrenched as it was while reading Dune Messiah. I must have put it down and swore not to pick it up again at least three or four times, but if you know anything about Dune, that's a declaration you can't follow through on. The Dune Chronicles just keeps getting better and better, this was probably Paul's greatest test, and damn, what a prolific writer Frank Herbert is, telling us the reader exactly what evil is being planned against the At ...more
Aziz Varlık
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bilim-kurgu
“Biliyorum Duncan. Seven seveni tanır.”

Çok güzeldi. Herkes okumalı... herkes.
Kerry
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans who are willing to read the series entire
Recommended to Kerry by: Mom
The whole thing with Paul being able to (view spoiler) still cool. But on this, my third or fourth reading, I'm realizing there's not much to this book. It simply bridges the first and third. No Jessica, no war, no revolution, no emergence of a new messiah . . . eh.

Also Alia has the potential to be such a fascinating character, but she's underused and underwritten. And I already know that in the next book she's going to be crazy and retconned ha
Mümin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Kelimelerle anlatılamayacak şeyleri aktarmanın peşinde Herbert. Belki ancak bir çöl akşamında yapayalnız etrafı izlerken öğrenebileceğimiz bir duygunun...
Lolly's Library
I think most people don't particularly like this book, but I'm not sure why. Is it because Paul-Muad'Dib, Messiah, Emperor, God, is shown as a flawed human? Is it because we see that even with his awesome powers, he's still unable to map the future, to escape the future, the same as any ordinary human? We know Paul was never going to be perfect, was never going to be an angelic being or benevolent emperor; Frank Herbert told us that in "Dune." We know that Paul knew his destiny, knew the consequ ...more
Krbo
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
samo sitan komentar kako je ovo bio moj prvi susret s "tatom" i to negdje '75./'76.

mislim da je prilično teška knjiga za tu dob (13-14g) no ja sam ostao "paf" i od tada ne znam ni koliko puta pročitao kompletan serijal - moje omiljeno štivo.

tek nedavno prvi puta dovršio u HR izdanju

Herbert je majstor nad majstorima - šestica za Dune
Joe
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dune Messiah is the first sequel to the Science Fiction classic Dune and will not disappoint fans of the Dune universe.

The plot continues 12 years after the events of Dune end; Paul is now the emperor to thousands of planets and the ‘Jihad’ prophesied is under way. There is a treacherous plot to bring about his downfall which he has foreseen but certain events and people are clouded and unclear.

Character development follows on from Dune as well; characters are described through thoughts of other
Jeff Yoak
This book was every bit as terrible as I remembered. I was committed to not abandoning it as I did last time because I want to delve a little further into the Dune series. Dune is one of my favorite novels. Even through there is precedent, it is hard to accept that sequels can be such a complete reversal.

Dune is a strong story about an interesting life. A minor weakness of the book is that it is asserted, but never shown, that the events unfolding will impact inter-galactic empires, create a hol
Casey
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 1960s
After re-reading Dune recently, I decided to finally get around to reading Dune Messiah - the sequel to Dune and the bridge to Children of Dune. Unfortunately, Dune Messiah is a whole lot of standing around and talking for the entire book. It took me a long time to read because I just couldn't find the motivation to keep wading through dense dialogue, and when I did reach the end, I found it sadly to be short and quick, which didn't make up for the long, long drawn-out nature of the book.

I liked
Traci
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I liked Dune. But in some ways it was actually better. I love Dune but I love the world, the language, and the over all experience. And even though I like the minor characters, I just never connected with Paul or really any of the leads. Actually I found most of them to be arrogant and manipulative. But this sequel, which is more like an added end chapter, I found some of what I was missing. Paul become more human, questioning his role and his right. An ...more
Rishindra
I first read Dune four years ago. I respected it, and understood why it was a landmark achievement in sci-fi literature, but I honestly can't say I truly enjoyed it. So I'm not sure why I read the sequel. It just seemed like the thing to do. I read Dune again earlier this year. This time I actually had fun reading it, and I noticed things I hadn't on the first read, which made me wonder what I'd missed in the sequels. So I reread Dune Messiah.

I previously liked it more than Dune. That's not tru
Melee Farr
I'd have been amazed if this one was as phenomenal as the first, and it wasn't. It was, however, Frank Herbert, who surprises me with his philosophy and world vision all the time. Compared to Dune, though, this book just lacked a lot of protein. Perhaps it's because the incredibly rich new world of Dune/Arrakis was already in place, and I wasn't the wide-eyed, amazed traveler through it any longer, but it wasn't the page-turner of the last for me. Still, I'll read them all, and wish Frank Herber ...more
Vagner Stefanello
Review from Desbravando Livros:

Messias de Duna não mantém o mesmo nível do seu antecessor, que foi um dos meus livros favoritos até hoje. Temos muitos questionamentos internos do Paul nesse livro, vulgo mimimi, bastante treta política + religião, e por aí vai. Algumas partes foram levemente maçantes, mas os aspectos culturais e as tradições dos Fremen sempre são partes que salvam a narrativa. O final foi bem interessante e me deixou com vontade de ler o próximo livro!

Fantasy Buddy Reads: Dune Messiah [May 5, 2018] 18 36 May 16, 2018 11:23PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS 2 11 Oct 19, 2017 04:34AM
Reading the Chunk...: Dune Messiah, Book 2 by Frank Herbert 32 36 Jul 23, 2014 06:18AM
Nerds & Encrenque...: Dune Messiah 6 21 Jan 19, 2014 04:05PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine request (DUNE MESSIAH) 15 52 May 26, 2012 08:05AM
Dune Messiah 1 98 May 24, 2012 11:20AM
  • House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune #2)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Gap Into Madness: Chaos and Order (Gap, #4)
  • Foundation and Earth (Foundation #5)
  • Sword & Citadel (The Book of the New Sun #3-4)
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • The Divine Invasion
  • The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 2: Conflict (Night's Dawn 2)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi

Dune (8 books)
  • Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles #6)
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles #7)
  • Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles #8)
“Truth suffers from too much analysis.

-Ancient Fremen Saying”
262 likes
“Empires do not suffer emptiness of purpose at the time of their creation. It is when they have become established that aims are lost and replaced by vague ritual.

-Words of Muad'dib by Princess Irulan.”
117 likes