Start by marking “Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered” as Want to Read:
Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered

Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  16,317 ratings  ·  1,411 reviews

In his New York Times bestseller Steal Like an Artist, Austin Kleon showed readers how to unlock their creativity by “stealing” from the community of other movers and shakers. Now, in an even more forward-thinking and necessary book, he shows how to take that critical next step on a creative journey—getting known.

Show Your Work! is about why generosity trumps genius. It’s

Published March 6th 2014 by Workman Publishing Company

·  16,317 ratings  ·  1,411 reviews

Ariel
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This was the kick I needed! I loved my reading experience with this book - it fell into my lap quite unexpectedly, full of my friend's annotations, and I flew through it. I had such a riot getting inspired and rethinking what the aims of creation should be. Full of quotations from a HUGE variety of creative types, full of manageable but impactful ideas, and with an excellent understanding of modern times and the tools we have at our disposable, this was a treat. A TREAT.

I really recommend this -
Soplada
Nov 13, 2013 marked it as to-read
show-your-work-list-poster-760px
Pat Loughery
Having just finished Austin Kleon's previous book Steal Like an Artist, which I liked but didn't LOVE... I didn't expect anything different here. I mean, the book's exactly the same size and shape, the same layout, similar in approach. But this one hit me right between the eyes half a dozen times over.

I immediately started rereading this one, a library copy, and bought this one and Steal Like an Artist. I suspect that I didn't click with the first one because I read it too quickly and didn't rea
Shannon Yarbrough
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved Austin's first book, Steal Like an Artist, and did exactly what he told me, including buying extra copies of his book and giving it to all my friends. As a writer and an artist, his advice is simple, inspiring, and fun to follow. I still use that book as a reference when I need a pick-me-up.

His new book, Show Your Work!, feeds the need for those of us who wanted more! It's the same format - quick chapters with full page black and white photos, quotes from famous folks that you will be pi
Janet
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More than anything else, I felt really validated as I read Kleon's newest piece. It made me think of the very early days when Avid Bookshop was just a dream, when I was sharing my ups and downs with folks and hoping against hope that someday my business would be a vibrant brick-and-mortar bookstore. If you are a creator of any kind--and all of us are, or can be--this book will inspire you and make you feel empowered.

Are you going to read this book because my review influenced you? Then check it
Donalyn
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Funny, smart, observant. So much of what Kleon writes resonates with me as a writer who blogs and tweets. Great ideas about building your tribe and sharing ideas.
Suzanne
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent primer on self-promotion for artists. I have to admit that I picked it up with some skepticism, just as I did with Steal Like an Artist. This follow-up has the same slick look about it, with Kleon's subtractive poetry and ample quotes from other artists. But, just as with the other book, as soon as I started reading, I was sold on it. I loved what this book had to say.

The Goodreads summary covers the bullet points well, but what I liked most was his emphasis on how to make q
Christine Zibas
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books

"Whatever we say, we're always talking about ourselves." -- Alison Bechdel.

And I could add, whenever we talk, we're always telling stories. Why do we write or make art or pursue creativity of any sort? The answer? To be more ourselves, to show who we are, to make a connection, to find our tribe.

Austin Kleon, the author of this book is a "writer who draws" and in sharing himself here, he takes his readers deep into the element of connecting. In particular, he offers up suggestions of how to get y
Rachel
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Anytime I need some inspiration or encouragement in my creative endeavors, I turn to Austin Kleon. His words get me so pumped up and inspired, and his books never let me down.
S.Baqer Al-Meshqab
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2017
This beautifully-written book is a reference to artists specifically and to all people in general who have the potential to do something and establish a name in social industry. Ten Guidelines will direct you to the way of how to present your work to others, be accepted, influence and get influenced by, and most importantly, to stick around. It has been very helpful in shaping the way you look to the products you make and to the process in which these products are made. I intend to put it on my ...more
Alex Linschoten
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed much of this quick but rich overview of ways in which sharing ideas, work, (etc) can be useful for both the author and his audience. Lots of practical ideas, most of which could be boiled down to what happens when you keep a blog regularly updated. Highly recommended to anyone who thinks for a living.
Mabeli Pujols
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the type of book that you really need to have with you and read it every time you feel that you need some inspiration!
Patrick Sherriff
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, on-writing
Kleon makes a good case for creatives at all stages of their artistic and commercial journey to lighten up and show folks what they're up to. This is like a condensed version of Real Artists Don't Starve, Jeff Goins rather good book on keeping it together as an artist and making a buck too, but Kleon's is much shorter and sweeter. The 10 chapter headings are pointers to a fruitful, moral creative life in the internet age:

1. You Don't Have to Be a Genius
2. Think Process, Not Product
3. Share Somet
Nancy
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Austin Kleon’s Show Your Work, is a great follow up to his highly successful Steal Like an Artist; once you have been inspired and created work, you need to share your efforts with the world. Show Your Work is very simply written, using bold statements, art/poetry, quotes, and hand-drawn charts to elaborate on the author’s ideas. I appreciated Kleon’s bare bones style of writing; for this subject matter it really helps to get the point across simply and makes what he is saying memorable.

The main
Loren
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
When I was younger, I thought that if I just wrote the perfect story, people would love it, I would be discovered, and then I'd have it made. That hasn't worked out the way I planned. I've come around to Austin Kleon's way of thinking: I love the encouragement to share my work as I'm doing it, rather than hoarding it until it's polished and perfect.

The book is breezy and short, but I found nuggets of inspiration. I'm eager to put some of his advice into effect and see if it makes a difference.
Sandra
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...but in this day and age, if your work isn’t online, it doesn’t exist.
If you want people to know about what you do and the things you care about, you have to share.

This is so true.
But it is also hard to keep up with all the social media!
I need a good plan *sigh*

Quote gem
The cat sat on a mat’is not a story. ‘The cat sat on the dog’s mat’is a story.
-John le Carré
Mel
My mom gave me this book and I was surprised that it actually is a great little fast read and reference guide to sharing your work in the modern world of social media and the Internet. I am sure I will refer back to this at some point. It has some good ideas written in an easy to digest format.
Fatomah Al-Doughan
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite reviewer recommended it to us. And it's really worth that good review. It's like a guideline on how to share your work as an artist. What to share and what u should not share. How to benefit from social media and internet as an artist in building your name. Care about the quality of your audience not their numbers and how to be close to them, and many many other useful advices

I'm really grateful for my brother as it's his gift for me from his short trip to Dubai 💚

One thing tha
David
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like Austin Kleon. I really do. I probably preferred Steal LIke An Artist, but this was great.
As you know, I'm a bitter and twisted individual, but I spat bile on only a few pages.
I'm genuinely looking forward to Keep Going!
Here's hoping it will have more of a focus on failure and self-loathing, and some of the neglected joys of 'creativity'.
Donna Alward
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would have liked it to be a little more in depth, but it's a quick read, and I came away with a surprising number of little nuggets of insight.
Radha
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5

I fleeeew through this little book. I liked it! It has a lot of concepts, advice, that if you work or study on a creative career or creative environment you've probably heard some of those before, but once in a while we need a reminder.
We need to be reminded not to be too harsh on ourselves and from time to time step away and look at the work you've done, how far you've come, it also applies for entrepreneurs.
The difficulty in every creative field it's the fact that we basically fill a spac
Rose
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-review
More complete review to come, but I thought this was a very quick, enlightening guide to improving creativity and getting yourself out there in the world. It's inspiring, but also informative. I think a lot of writers or creators in general would benefit from picking up this work and taking heed of some of the advice in this. (Because all too often, it gets ignored.)

One of the messages I keep emphasizing that this work reiterates is that you have to allow people to find and follow you with your
LibraryReads
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2014
“Show Your Work! is a wonderful follow-up to Austin Kleon’s first book, Steal Like an Artist. Utilizing the same fun, graphic novel-ish type of format, Kleon gives practical recommendations about using the Internet and social media to create a community. I particularly appreciate his advice to concentrate on process, not on product, and the rest will follow. A must-read for anyone involved in the creative process.”

Rebekka Hanson, Madison Library District, Rexburg, ID
Claire Handscombe
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just finished this great little book, packed with inspiration and helpful tips about sharing your creativity with the world. As with its companion book, Steal Like An Artist, I need to go back and read it, make notes, and implement its advice.
Wayne Marinovich
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great, artistic, insightful book. Snippets of valuable information for all creatives out there.
Katherine (DarlingBibliophile)
This was very inspiring to me and now I'm gearing up to start writing again.
Amit Verma
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
W
This is second book by the author, whose first book I had liked very much and who showed that small books may carry big messages.

His book may be an extended blog post.
He shares practical wisdom in most non boring method possible.
He gives you what you need in most vompact package.
Book points to various methods one can use to show their creativity to millions of eyeballs gazing upon smartphone screens.

Right from the time of creating art and up to sharing and improving; it is a continuous proce
James
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Artists
Recommended to James by: Patrick Sherriff
Shelves: non-fiction, diy, art
A fun, inspirational little book showing you how to share your art with the world via social media. The internet has radically changed how art is distributed and the interaction of artists with their peers Some interesting bits, purchase a domain, posting useful tidbits on a daily basis and giving credit to your sources including links, and don't become a self centered scum.

A great, quick, little read that will up your art game.
Kathleen
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The whole "getting discovered" thing isn't important to me. But, I love this book, as it's a model for those who want to be discovered in how to be collaborative and generous while working on their art. Author Austin Kleon specializes in visual arts, but his ideas are relevant for people in many professions, even those that don't seem particularly creative.
Cololiqui
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read for all of those who, like me, don't seem to know where to start.

• Doodle Revolution
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist
  • The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking
  • The Artist in the Office: How to Creatively Survive and Thrive Seven Days a Week
  • Creative Block: Get Unstuck, Discover New Ideas. Advice & Projects from 50 Successful Artists
  • Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day
  • Design Is a Job
  • Creative, Inc.: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business
  • Maximize Your Potential: Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks  Build an Incredible Career
  • Make Art Make Money: Lessons from Jim Henson on Fueling Your Creative Career
  • Creative Lettering: Techniques  Tips from Top Artists
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often To Become a More Creative, Productive, and Successful Artist
  • Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Work for Money, Design for Love: Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Starting and Running a Successful Design Business
  • In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector
  • Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor
I’m a writer who draws. I make art with words and books with pictures. Author of Steal Like An Artist and other bestsellers. Visit my website: http://austinkleon.com/
“Forget about being an expert or a professional, and wear your amateurism (your heart, your love) on your sleeve. Share what you love, and the people who love the same things will find you.” 23 likes
“Make stuff you love and talk about stuff you love and you’ll attract people who love that kind of stuff. It’s that simple.” 21 likes