Start by marking “Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered” as Want to Read:
Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered

Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  13,739 Ratings  ·  1,240 Reviews

In his New York Times bestseller Steal Like an Artist, Austin Kleon showed readers how to unlock their creativity by “stealing” from the community of other movers and shakers. Now, in an even more forward-thinking and necessary book, he shows how to take that critical next step on a creative journey—getting known.

Show Your Work! is about why generosity trumps genius. It’s

Published March 6th 2014 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 2014)

Ariel
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This was the kick I needed! I loved my reading experience with this book - it fell into my lap quite unexpectedly, full of my friend's annotations, and I flew through it. I had such a riot getting inspired and rethinking what the aims of creation should be. Full of quotations from a HUGE variety of creative types, full of manageable but impactful ideas, and with an excellent understanding of modern times and the tools we have at our disposable, this was a treat. A TREAT.

I really recommend this -
Soplada
Nov 13, 2013 marked it as to-read
show-your-work-list-poster-760px
Pat Loughery
Having just finished Austin Kleon's previous book Steal Like an Artist, which I liked but didn't LOVE... I didn't expect anything different here. I mean, the book's exactly the same size and shape, the same layout, similar in approach. But this one hit me right between the eyes half a dozen times over.

I immediately started rereading this one, a library copy, and bought this one and Steal Like an Artist. I suspect that I didn't click with the first one because I read it too quickly and didn't rea
Shannon Yarbrough
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved Austin's first book, Steal Like an Artist, and did exactly what he told me, including buying extra copies of his book and giving it to all my friends. As a writer and an artist, his advice is simple, inspiring, and fun to follow. I still use that book as a reference when I need a pick-me-up.

His new book, Show Your Work!, feeds the need for those of us who wanted more! It's the same format - quick chapters with full page black and white photos, quotes from famous folks that you will be pi
Janet
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More than anything else, I felt really validated as I read Kleon's newest piece. It made me think of the very early days when Avid Bookshop was just a dream, when I was sharing my ups and downs with folks and hoping against hope that someday my business would be a vibrant brick-and-mortar bookstore. If you are a creator of any kind--and all of us are, or can be--this book will inspire you and make you feel empowered.

Are you going to read this book because my review influenced you? Then check it
Donalyn
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Funny, smart, observant. So much of what Kleon writes resonates with me as a writer who blogs and tweets. Great ideas about building your tribe and sharing ideas.
nananatte
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
หยิบ SHOW YOUR WORK! มาอานใหม หลังอานรอบแรกไปเมือปี 2016 ...กยังคิดวาชอบเลมแรก STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST มากกวาคะ

ไมใชวา show your work ไมดีหรืออานไมสนุก แตเพราะเลมนีไมไดเลาเรือง creativity เสียทีเดียว แตเปนการออกมาบอกเลาวิธีขายงานตัวเองใหได สำหรับมวลหมู artist ทีเปนแตรังสรรคงานออกมา แตขายงานตัวเองไมเปนเอาเสียเลย

คอนเซปทเลมนีดีนะคะ
ยิงวิธีประชาสัมพันธตัวเองลักษณะที Austin Kleon บอกเลา มันกคือการใชงานเครืองมือออนไลนตางๆ ใหเกิดประโยชนสูงสุด

คือเราชอบคอนเซปทเลม แตเนือหากับการยกตัวอยางในแตละประเดน เราวาเลม
Suzanne
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent primer on self-promotion for artists. I have to admit that I picked it up with some skepticism, just as I did with Steal Like an Artist. This follow-up has the same slick look about it, with Kleon's subtractive poetry and ample quotes from other artists. But, just as with the other book, as soon as I started reading, I was sold on it. I loved what this book had to say.

The Goodreads summary covers the bullet points well, but what I liked most was his emphasis on how to make q
Christine Zibas
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books

"Whatever we say, we're always talking about ourselves." -- Alison Bechdel.

And I could add, whenever we talk, we're always telling stories. Why do we write or make art or pursue creativity of any sort? The answer? To be more ourselves, to show who we are, to make a connection, to find our tribe.

Austin Kleon, the author of this book is a "writer who draws" and in sharing himself here, he takes his readers deep into the element of connecting. In particular, he offers up suggestions of how to get y
Vojtěch
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Chápu, je tam mnohdy až moc obecných rad, ale jsou strašně dobře podané (alespoň pro mě). Kniha, která mi byla od začátku čtení (a nejspíš ještě po nějakou dobu bude) takovou malou učebnicí, která je rozhodně lepší než jakákoliv školní učebnice. Austin Kleon podle mě odvedl dobrou práci a svojí knihou dokáže bezpochyby plno lidí namotivovat. Pro mě je třeba velké zjištění, že mnoho lidí opravdu nezajímá až tak moc výsledek, ale samotný proces (již vyzkoušeno). Proto patří autorovi dík a já jdu o ...more
Rachel
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Anytime I need some inspiration or encouragement in my creative endeavors, I turn to Austin Kleon. His words get me so pumped up and inspired, and his books never let me down.
Rimantė
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
PARODYK KĄ SUKŪREI! (EN. SHOW YOUR WORK) BY AUSTIN KLEON

LT/EN

LT

Austin Kleon sugrįžta su dar 10 patarimų, tik šįkart ne apie kūrybos šaltinius, o kaip juos panaudoti ir pagaliau tapti žinomu kūrėju. Nuo sugriaunamo vienišo genijaus mito iki patarimo nesustoti Austin'as Kleon'as drąsina rodyti savo darbus pasauliui. Taip pat išmokti priimti smūgį t.y. kritiką, kurio sulauksi, rodydamas darbą visiems, o ne tik tave palaikantiems žmonėms.
Nežinau, ar ši knygą geresnė už "Vok kaip menininkas". Man ab
Gabriela Kozhuharova
„Покажи своето творчество“ обяснява как да не бъдем гладуващи, неразбрани артисти: azcheta.com/pokazhi-svoeto-tvorchestv...

Ако в „Кради като артист“ основната теза беше, че най-ценното вдъхновение можем да намерим чрез имитацията и любимите произведения от идолите ни (с важното разграничение от плагиатството, разбира се), то тук Клиън доказва, че образът на затворения в хралупата си творец, който ненавижда света, е морално остарял в ерата на социалните мрежи и постоянното споделяне.

Същевременно
S.Baqer Al-Meshqab
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2017
This beautifully-written book is a reference to artists specifically and to all people in general who have the potential to do something and establish a name in social industry. Ten Guidelines will direct you to the way of how to present your work to others, be accepted, influence and get influenced by, and most importantly, to stick around. It has been very helpful in shaping the way you look to the products you make and to the process in which these products are made. I intend to put it on my ...more
Patrick Sherriff
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, on-writing
Kleon makes a good case for creatives at all stages of their artistic and commercial journey to lighten up and show folks what they're up to. This is like a condensed version of Real Artists Don't Starve, Jeff Goins rather good book on keeping it together as an artist and making a buck too, but Kleon's is much shorter and sweeter. The 10 chapter headings are pointers to a fruitful, moral creative life in the internet age:

1. You Don't Have to Be a Genius
2. Think Process, Not Product
3. Share Somet
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strategist
Ban đầu không ưa cái thể loại này vì cái tiêu đề hơi lố: PR BẢN THÂN.
Thường thì bản thân không cần PR quảng cáo, nghĩ đơn giản là nếu có gì đó hay ho thì sẽ nổi tiếng.
Suy nghĩ đó đúng chứ, nên cũng đâu có ý định đọc cuốn này làm gì.
Mà vì có quá nhiều review cho quyển này trên amazon và goodreads
Mình nhất quyết đọc nó.
Một luồng suy nghĩ mới tác giả thổi vào đầu mình.

Cuốn sách dành cho những ai GHÉT PR BẢN THÂN.
Nghe thấy ngược với tiêu đề sách.
Cuốn sách nói về HÀO PHÒNG CHIA SẺ CÔNG VIỆC BẠN ĐAN
Nancy
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Austin Kleon’s Show Your Work, is a great follow up to his highly successful Steal Like an Artist; once you have been inspired and created work, you need to share your efforts with the world. Show Your Work is very simply written, using bold statements, art/poetry, quotes, and hand-drawn charts to elaborate on the author’s ideas. I appreciated Kleon’s bare bones style of writing; for this subject matter it really helps to get the point across simply and makes what he is saying memorable.

The main
Abduraafi Andrian
Ulasan lengkap: http://bibliough.blogspot.co.id/2016/...

Progres yang kubuat pada tahun ini adalah membaca buku nonfiksi. Tahun lalu, aku ingat betapa tidak tertarik dan merasa alergi dengan buku-buku motivasi, pengembangan diri, apalagi yang berbau-bau tekstual. Rasa bosanlah yang menjadi kekhawatiran utama dalam mencoba genre nonfiksi. Banyaknya fakta, teori, dan petuah, tidak diimbangi dengan narasi yang mengimaji masih belum bisa kuhadapi. Untungnya, aku banyak mendapat info tentang buku nonf
Rido Arbain
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walaupun nggak seaktif dan semenarik Steal Like an Artist, tapi buku ini nggak kalah penting.

Di sini, Austin Kleon membahas bagaimana cara membagi proses kreatif saat membuat karya untuk mendapat impresi dari calon penikmat karya. Bacaan yang relevan untuk dibaca semua pelaku kreatif yang hidup di era digital, di mana internet adalah medium yang tepat untuk memamerkan karya.

Ada satu kutipan yang bikin spontan ketawa. Mungkin bagi sebagian orang nggak lucu, tapi rasanya agak realistis.

"Kita haru
Loren
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
When I was younger, I thought that if I just wrote the perfect story, people would love, I would be discovered, and then I'd have it made. That hasn't worked out the way I planned. I've come around to Austin Kleon's way of thinking: I love the encouragement to share my work as I'm doing it, rather than hoarding it until it's polished and perfect.

The book is breezy and short, but I found nuggets of inspiration. I'm eager to put some of his advice into effect and see if it makes a difference.
Sandra
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...but in this day and age, if your work isn’t online, it doesn’t exist.
If you want people to know about what you do and the things you care about, you have to share.

This is so true.
But it is also hard to keep up with all the social media!
I need a good plan *sigh*

Quote gem
The cat sat on a mat’is not a story. ‘The cat sat on the dog’s mat’is a story.
-John le Carré
Alex Linschoten
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed much of this quick but rich overview of ways in which sharing ideas, work, (etc) can be useful for both the author and his audience. Lots of practical ideas, most of which could be boiled down to what happens when you keep a blog regularly updated. Highly recommended to anyone who thinks for a living.
Mel
My mom gave me this book and I was surprised that it actually is a great little fast read and reference guide to sharing your work in the modern world of social media and the Internet. I am sure I will refer back to this at some point. It has some good ideas written in an easy to digest format.
Fatomah Al-Doughan
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite reviewer recommended it to us. And it's really worth that good review. It's like a guideline on how to share your work as an artist. What to share and what u should not share. How to benefit from social media and internet as an artist in building your name. Care about the quality of your audience not their numbers and how to be close to them, and many many other useful advices

I'm really grateful for my brother as it's his gift for me from his short trip to Dubai 💚

One thing tha
Camile Schmidt Chevalier
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Apesar do do título do livro e, até mesmo do foco do mesmo, o livro traz 10 tópicos que não servem apenas como dicas para divulgação do seu trabalho, mas dicas de como encarar a vida e enfrentar os problemas diários.

Por exemplo, a primeira dica do livro é seja um amador, pois amadores não tem nada a perder, não tem medo de errar e estão dispostos a aprender, do meu ponto de vista esse não é um conselho apenas sobre trabalho, mas um conselho sobre a vida. Eu traduzi esse conselho como: não tenha
Stanislav Lozanov
Оценка: 3,5

Определено не ми беше интересна колкото "кради като артист", но и в тази книга имаше доста полезни съвети.
Lewis Rimá
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Aún no sé si este libro acaba de cambiarme la vida pero, por lo pronto, es sumamente inspirador, entretenido y enriquecedor. Me encantó.
Thaizi
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esse livro foi uma surpresa, uma leitura rápida e um guia para aqueles que querem aperfeiçoar a criatividade, dando como exemplo o compartilhamento do seu trabalho na internet e nas midias sociais. São pequenas idéias escritas de forma bem encorajadoras e claras. O meu tópico favorito foi o terceiro, “Compartilhe um pouco todo dia”.
Hestia Istiviani
I read and write this review in Bahasa Indonesia

Sudah cukup lama setelah aku baca buku Kleon yang pertama, Steal Like An Artist, akhirnya keturutan juga membli buku yang kedua, Show Your Work. Masih tidak jauh berbeda dengan yang sebelumnya, Kleon mampu menuturkan hal-hal yang ada di otaknya mengenai "mempromosikan diri" dengan cara yang sangat mudah.

Gaya Bahasa, Kosakata, dan Penyampaian
Kalau pernah membaca Steal Like An Artist edisi berbahasa Inggris, pasti sebagian besar mengatakan bahwa b
Jelle Derckx
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ik kwam als eerste in contact met Austin Kleon door het boek ‘Steal like an artist’. Ik was onder de indruk van zijn originele manier van illustreren gecombineerd met korte bondige teksten.

Zijn andere boek ‘Show your work’ leek me nog interessanter omdat het gaat over ‘jouw creatieve werk online delen’ en hoe je dat het beste doet.

Niet jouw huisdier of latte’s online zetten maar jouw creatieve werk. Mensen meenemen op jouw pad en ze beter maken in dat waar ze beter in willen worden.

Twee grootste
  • The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking
  • Doodle Revolution
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Design Is a Job
  • Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor
  • Creative Block: Get Unstuck, Discover New Ideas. Advice & Projects from 50 Successful Artists
  • Make Art Make Money: Lessons from Jim Henson on Fueling Your Creative Career
  • Turning Pro
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Burn Your Portfolio: Stuff They Don't Teach You in Design School, But Should
  • Creative Thursday: Everyday Inspiration to Grow Your Creative Practice
  • The Right-brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • Look Both Ways: Illustrated Essays on the Intersection of Life and Design
  • Make Good Art
I make art with words and books with pictures. Author of Steal Like An Artist, Newspaper Blackout, and Show Your Work!
More about Austin Kleon

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Living by the Word: Essays
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Make stuff you love and talk about stuff you love and you’ll attract people who love that kind of stuff. It’s that simple.” 18 likes
“Forget about being an expert or a professional, and wear your amateurism (your heart, your love) on your sleeve. Share what you love, and the people who love the same things will find you.” 18 likes