Start by marking “Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered” as Want to Read:
Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered

Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  40,919 ratings  ·  3,187 reviews

In his New York Times bestseller Steal Like an Artist, Austin Kleon showed readers how to unlock their creativity by “stealing” from the community of other movers and shakers. Now, in an even more forward-thinking and necessary book, he shows how to take that critical next step on a creative journey—getting known.

Show Your Work! is about why generosity trumps genius. It’s

Published March 6th 2014 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Show Your Work!, please sign up.

·  40,919 ratings  ·  3,187 reviews

Start your review of Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
Ariel
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This was the kick I needed! I loved my reading experience with this book - it fell into my lap quite unexpectedly, full of my friend's annotations, and I flew through it. I had such a riot getting inspired and rethinking what the aims of creation should be. Full of quotations from a HUGE variety of creative types, full of manageable but impactful ideas, and with an excellent understanding of modern times and the tools we have at our disposable, this was a treat. A TREAT.

I really recommend this -
Pat Loughery
Having just finished Austin Kleon's previous book Steal Like an Artist, which I liked but didn't LOVE... I didn't expect anything different here. I mean, the book's exactly the same size and shape, the same layout, similar in approach. But this one hit me right between the eyes half a dozen times over.

I immediately started rereading this one, a library copy, and bought this one and Steal Like an Artist. I suspect that I didn't click with the first one because I read it too quickly and didn't rea
Hamad
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

I saw this book while watching a Youtube channel and I was curious to what is it about. I am just a person who struggles with self-confidence and don’t like to show off things I do so the title just felt like a slap to the face!

The good thing is that book was surprisingly about writing and authors too, in addition to art, business and all kind of stuff. The book is easily read within one hour but I think it kind of motivated me to be afraid less and be
Eoghann Irving
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm pretty much going to spend this review telling you everything wrong this book and the whole genre. Because if ever there's a book that embodies the genre Show Your Work is it.

Despite that, you may want to consider buying the book. Because while Austin Kleon really doesn't offer a single new idea, it is possible that his amiable presentation of the ideas will trigger you to act on them. In short, the emperor has no clothes, but it may not matter.

It's a Quick Read

Which translates to, this is a
Shannon Yarbrough
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved Austin's first book, Steal Like an Artist, and did exactly what he told me, including buying extra copies of his book and giving it to all my friends. As a writer and an artist, his advice is simple, inspiring, and fun to follow. I still use that book as a reference when I need a pick-me-up.

His new book, Show Your Work!, feeds the need for those of us who wanted more! It's the same format - quick chapters with full page black and white photos, quotes from famous folks that you will be pi
Tanu
Aug 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Show Your Work is a personal declaration on how to complete any type of creative work. If you do anything that involves personal expression – which is pretty much everything – Kleon's perspective on performing the career you love will motivate you. Anyone involved in the creative process should read this book.

It's a tiny, lovely book with flowcharts within. It's short enough to read in one sitting. It lays out methods to think about your work as a never-ending process, how to grow an audience
AK
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
Kleon seems like a nice guy, so I hate saying this, but I have no idea why this is a book. "Put your work on the internet, and try not to be too annoying about it. Then people will see your work, know you exist, and not be too annoyed by you." The end. ...more
Donalyn
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Funny, smart, observant. So much of what Kleon writes resonates with me as a writer who blogs and tweets. Great ideas about building your tribe and sharing ideas.
Rozhan Sadeghi
2.5
Not by any means a bad book but the material wasn't just new for me. So if it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you.
Christine Zibas
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books

"Whatever we say, we're always talking about ourselves." -- Alison Bechdel.

And I could add, whenever we talk, we're always telling stories. Why do we write or make art or pursue creativity of any sort? The answer? To be more ourselves, to show who we are, to make a connection, to find our tribe.

Austin Kleon, the author of this book is a "writer who draws" and in sharing himself here, he takes his readers deep into the element of connecting. In particular, he offers up suggestions of how to get y
Mohammad Shaker
Jun 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
“90 percent of everything is crap” the author writes. And so is 90 percent of this book.

I like deep work. This book is all about what leads to a shallow work. Maybe I’m against a lot of stuff in this book. Maybe I matured. Maybe I’ve grown up and don’t like these kind of books anymore. Maybe I should just draw a point and go to actual, real, deep work.

Oh but wait. Maybe I should share this review on twitter?
Manar
Jul 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
A logical and authentic representation of how modern problems require modern solutions.
This wasn't the kind of book that usually attracts my attention, I came across it through a YouTube recommendation and I got excited to start it immediately. it was fun to read and it got all my attention. written in a direct, brief, and non-repetitive way this short book is suitable for everyone, if you want to start your new artistic job or you just struggle to share your simple daily attempts to create, you
Suzanne
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent primer on self-promotion for artists. I have to admit that I picked it up with some skepticism, just as I did with Steal Like an Artist. This follow-up has the same slick look about it, with Kleon's subtractive poetry and ample quotes from other artists. But, just as with the other book, as soon as I started reading, I was sold on it. I loved what this book had to say.

The Goodreads summary covers the bullet points well, but what I liked most was his emphasis on how to make q
Loren
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
When I was younger, I thought that if I just wrote the perfect story, people would love it, I would be discovered, and then I'd have it made. That hasn't worked out the way I planned. I've come around to Austin Kleon's way of thinking: I love the encouragement to share my work as I'm doing it, rather than hoarding it until it's polished and perfect.

The book is breezy and short, but I found nuggets of inspiration. I'm eager to put some of his advice into effect and see if it makes a difference.
Rachel
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anytime I need some inspiration or encouragement in my creative endeavors, I turn to Austin Kleon. His words get me so pumped up and inspired, and his books never let me down.
S.Baqer Al-Meshqab
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2017
This beautifully-written book is a reference to artists specifically and to all people in general who have the potential to do something and establish a name in social industry. Ten Guidelines will direct you to the way of how to present your work to others, be accepted, influence and get influenced by, and most importantly, to stick around. It has been very helpful in shaping the way you look to the products you make and to the process in which these products are made. I intend to put it on my ...more
Ishee
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you've always hesitated in making your creative pursuits public. If you feel like an imposter or worse, think of sharing your work as self-aggrandizement, this book is for you! ...more
Pallavi
Jan 31, 2022 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I liked the first book Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by the same author. So I thought lets try this one.
It's a Quick Read. And it will be more appropriate for the people who have their own gigs or who are interested in having a business of their own or who are a creative lot like writers, artists etc.
Below are the chapters or topics in the book which pretty much speak for themselves. But a detailed view would help those who might feel a bit directio
Renu
Nov 08, 2021 rated it liked it
This book tells about the social media etiquettes. Common sense is jotted down to effectively use SMs to market yourself. At times, I felt like reading a Twitter thread with pretty scribbles. It may be helpful to aspiring social media influencers.
Abhiram R
Jan 23, 2022 rated it it was amazing
When I read books like these, the reaction is as I expect to have going in - very little surprise overall. But what I do get out of them are reminders. In this case, to "Show your work". Austin Kleon is compelling with his ten tips on what he believes are different ways in which you can show your work. Work that is tangible, work that is an act of constant progress and work that while humble, is effective. Both, from a sense that demonstrates your growing skill in any field that you choose to sh ...more
Patrick Sherriff
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, on-writing
Kleon makes a good case for creatives at all stages of their artistic and commercial journey to lighten up and show folks what they're up to. This is like a condensed version of Real Artists Don't Starve, Jeff Goins rather good book on keeping it together as an artist and making a buck too, but Kleon's is much shorter and sweeter. The 10 chapter headings are pointers to a fruitful, moral creative life in the internet age:

1. You Don't Have to Be a Genius
2. Think Process, Not Product
3. Share Somet
Alex Linschoten
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed much of this quick but rich overview of ways in which sharing ideas, work, (etc) can be useful for both the author and his audience. Lots of practical ideas, most of which could be boiled down to what happens when you keep a blog regularly updated. Highly recommended to anyone who thinks for a living.
Milan
Sep 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is very practical and easy to read book by Austin Kleon. Anyone who has been reluctant to share his work with the world or just want to connect with the people online will find a lot of cues in this short book. In short:

• Create a space online
• Show your work
• Connect with people
Mabeli Pujols
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the type of book that you really need to have with you and read it every time you feel that you need some inspiration!
Niranjan Kamath
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great book with transformational ideas and action packed plans. This book answers all potential questions about our work and acts as a guide to nurture our creativity. It was an invigorating read.
Girish Joshi
Mar 23, 2022 rated it really liked it
I always say that for a good life you need meaningful work and meaningful relationships. And there is going to be struggle in both of them. This book was about how to make your work more meaningful and how to struggle better with work.

Last year, through a friend and through a YouTube video on productivity I found this book. I had started posting stories on my Instagram after getting inspired by a friend who worked in digital marketing and content creation. Even though I wasn't doing quality work
Oumaïma  (readwithmima)
I am actually loving this more tahn I expected. Again, nothing revolutionary, but the way Austin Kleon structured this book made it very helpful in my opinion.
Moreover, I am still a sucker of references in a book, and this one gave me at least 12 other books to read.
All in all, a book I would recommend to every artist out there.
Dessa Mae
Feb 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
Inspiring and informative.
Reading this made me want to create more, and gave me more confidence in showing my work 💖
Nancy
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Austin Kleon’s Show Your Work, is a great follow up to his highly successful Steal Like an Artist; once you have been inspired and created work, you need to share your efforts with the world. Show Your Work is very simply written, using bold statements, art/poetry, quotes, and hand-drawn charts to elaborate on the author’s ideas. I appreciated Kleon’s bare bones style of writing; for this subject matter it really helps to get the point across simply and makes what he is saying memorable.

The main
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong editions combined together... 4 29 Jan 19, 2017 10:34AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Show Your Work by Austin Kleon 1 21 Jun 06, 2015 10:23AM

• Anything You Want
  • What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in a Nutshell
  • Interaction of Color
  • Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers
  • Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • History of Art
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy
  • The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle
  • The Shock of the New
  • The Power Of Focus: How To Improve Your Concentration, Double Your Productivity And Become A Beast At Whatever You Do
  • Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life through the Power of Storytelling
  • The Unfair Advantage: How You Already Have What It Takes to Succeed
  • Vincent Van Gogh: The Complete Paintings
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • The Psychology of Money
  • The Secret Lives of Color
Art
See top shelves…
I’m a writer who draws. I make art with words and books with pictures. Author of Steal Like An Artist and other bestsellers. Visit my website: http://austinkleon.com/ ...more