Start by marking “Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1: The Hunger” as Want to Read:
Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1: The Hunger

Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1: The Hunger

(Spectacular Spider-Man (2003) (Collected Editions) #1)

Spider-Man's life is thrown into turmoil as he begins to undergo a shocking transformation - one that may well leave the web-slinger scarred forever What is the cause of this strange mutation - and how does it connect to the troubles plaguing the Avengers? Betrayed by his body and suffering the painful effects of his slow transformation from man to arachnid, Spidey must ...more
Published December 30th 2003 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1

Start your review of Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1: The Hunger
Quentin Wallace
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Siike Donnelly
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than i remembered.

Paul Jenkins is one of my favorite writers. He always narrows in on what makes characters special, especially Spidey. This story had a lot of soul to it. Its a Venom story, but its also a look at Eddie Brock, with some great revelations about his past. Also, this is the story after Green Goblin crippled Flash Thompson. Peter cares for a wheelchair bound, and nearly brain dead guy that bullied him in high school. Interesting that this story with Flash happens in a book
David
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm going to be straight with you.

I love Spider-Man. After giving up comics as a kid, it was Spider-Man that really pulled me back in. Spider-Man in the early 2000s just pulled me back in.

In the early 2000s there were a ton of Spider-Man books,
Amazing Spider-Man
Spectacular Spider-Man
Marvel Knights: Spider-Man
Peter Parker: Spider-Man
and a little later - Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
(Not to mention Web of Spider-Man which had that wonderful Rhino story).

Anyhow, I've been reading Amazing
Luis
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this first volume. I was hesitant before hand because titles such as Spectacular Spider-man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man, etc come across more as companion series to the main Amazing Spider-man title and couldn't be truly enjoyed being read as a "stand alone." But Paul Jenkins quickly seems to contradict a lot of the things from the main Spider-man canon (which kind of didn't mind in the end) such as Flash Thompson being a life long friend of ...more
David
Aug 11, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: comic-books
Early use of the pejorative "poofter" pretty much doomed any enjoyment I thought might be possible for this book. It's used as a joke. Ha ha. Poofter. That's so funny. Just imagine it was jigaboo or kyke instead. Still played for laughs? Lame.

This book is from about 2000. I hope this shit's a thing of the past.
Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
I still don't know about the art in this one; it feels like everyone looks so young? The story was mediocre, as I didn't feel like a lot really happened. In the realm of Spider-Man, definitely not my favorite.
Xavier Guillaume
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like that weird stylized comic book stuff
Shelves: graphic-novel
I have to be honest, I did not like the animation style of this comic at all. Spider-Man looks like a skinny twig, and his head is weirdly shaped like a slim oval. You know those caricatures they do at the fair or touristy places? That's what the people's faces look like in this version. Based on the facial characterizations alone, I would have given this book a 2/5, but there were other things I did like.

The story with Eddie Brock is a very good introduction to Venom, and the sad and twisted
Camilo Guerra
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic
No hay un gran aporte a los mitos del hombre araña en este tomo...si uno ha leido la etapa de Stracsinnzky con Romita Jr, esta es ta muy por debajo, aun siendo hermanas en tiempo y en politica editorial...unos monologos interminables de Peter y una historia que la verdad no te atrapa y mas raro aun, el dibujo de Ramos es irregular, en unas escenas es inmenso y el lápiz le queda pequeño y en otras la narrativa brilla por su ausencia...y el color, oh dios mio, Delgado en unas imágenes se ve mas ...more
B
Soy fan.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
As with all of Jenkins’ Spider-Man work, this one is slow and verbose. However, the character portrait of Brock that develops is superb (and has been used by others since).
Mikhail Zakharov

• Captain America and the Falcon #5
  • Captain America and the Falcon #6
  • Captain America #29
  • Iron Man (1998-2004) #86
Paul Jenkins is a British comic book writer. He has had much success crossing over into the American comic book market. Primarily working for Marvel Comics, he has had a big part shaping the characters of the company over the past decade.

Spectacular Spider-Man (2003) (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Countdown