Start by marking “No Matter the Wreckage” as Want to Read:
No Matter the Wreckage

No Matter the Wreckage

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  8,160 Ratings  ·  741 Reviews
Following the success of her breakout poem, "B," Sarah Kay releases her debut collection of poetry featuring work from the first decade of her career. No Matter the Wreckage presents readers with new and beloved work that showcases Kay's knack for celebrating family, love, travel, history, and unlikely love affairs between inanimate objects ("Toothbrush to the Bicycle Tire ...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Write Bloody Publishing

Celina
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I have been following Sarah Kay since my first year in college (2012) when I first watched her in Ted. Immediately, I was captivated and inevitably fell in love with spoken word. When she first announced that she will be publishing a book, I was more than excited. I had pre-ordered three copies immediately (for me and my two soul mates). When it finally reached my hands, it was all I could ask for and more.

Reading the book was a confirmation of how much I am obsessed with her work. I knew (and
Claudia Ramírez
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Didn't enjoy this one as much as everyone. I loved a few poems tho.
Whitney Atkinson
SHUT THE HECK YOUR FACE THIS WAS SO GOOD

I have been reading so much mindless poetry lately. Poetry written on napkins and scribbed in diaries, just syntax-less ramblings. THIS is poetry with substance, with carefully thought-out writing, with power and emotion.

most of this is about love, but it's unlike anything you've read before. there's not a single cliché.

my favorite poem by far was "The Type." I read it once and was so impressed that I read it again out loud to myself. The quality of all
Eunice Moral
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
It will now be my life mission to read all poems Sarah Kay has written. She is a genius times infinity. I have memorized Postcards that's how much I loved it. And remind me please to ask her to buy me new set of tabs because I seriously have used up all my tabs on this book. I loved how her poems touched not only love, but awareness, longing, giving importance to other people, putting someone else's happiness before her own and how she made each poem entirely different from another. I highly t ...more
Thomas
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, nonfiction
Wish I could whisper "it's not you, it's me" to this book. Even though Sarah Kay has established quite the fan base on Goodreads and on the web, I just could not connect with these poems on a deeper level - perhaps because poetry has never been my genre of choice. I appreciate that she writes about a variety of topics ranging from romance to family to personal insecurities. I like how not all of her pieces stem from anger, or lust, or anguish; the emotional variety of this collection strengthens ...more
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
The word "beautiful" is an understatement to describe this poetry book. Sarah Kay's poems are evocative, relatable and masterly written. They're simple and candor at its best. I was hooked from the start and unsurprisingly finished it in hours. I love it and my favorites are:

1.) B (This one hits home to me and brought me to tears. So relevant to my life right now. )
2.)Postcards (The last line crushed my heart: There is a girl who still writes you. She doesn't know how not to.. 😭💔)
3.) The Ladder
lori mitchell
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myfavorites, poetry
Rip my heart right out of my chest. Sarah Kay. Holy.shit.

I think my favorite of all of the poems in this book is The Type. This line did it for me....

"It is hard to stop loving the ocean.
Even after it has left you gasping. salty."

If i was rich, I'd buy copies of this book and give it to every woman that I know. And every man too. Really, just so, so good. And I don't even like poetry that much.
Meags
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

Sarah Kay's first collection of poems is an instant favourite of mine.

A dear friend brought Sarah Kay to my attention a few months ago in an attempt to explain to me the wonders of spoken-word poetry. She sent me a TED talks video called If I should have a daughter... and within less than 20 minutes I was completely captivated, awed and inspired, and Sarah Kay had herself a new lifelong fan.

After spending days watching as many YouTube videos as I could find, getting my hands on this wri
Sarah AlObaid
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
4.5 stars. Phenomenal.
nourhan
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
the most beautiful thing i've ever read.
Zaira Sadè
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually
The problem is that all these poems are meant to be performed. It simply doesn't suit the written medium but I love Sarah Kay.
Bibliophilic Richard
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful words! I can imagine her speaking them and man, am I thoroughly in awe :)
Doms Candels
Portentous.
Fatma

UGH SARAH IS SO TALENTED. I loved this so much.

Here are some of the poems from this collection performed by Sarah: (I highly recommend watching them!!! Sarah is so good at what she does)
B
The Type
Private Parts
Ghost Ship (this one is phenomenal. it almost made me cry)
Montauk
Mrs. Ribeiro

I think the best word to describe this collection is EARNEST; Sarah has truly poured her heart and soul into these poems.

I have so many favourite poems (I loved like 90% of this collection), b
Айше
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook, 2016
Quotes:

"Oh, Brother. No matter your wreckage. There will be someone to find you beautiful, despite the cruddy metal. Your ruin is not to be hidden behind paint and canvas. Let them see the cracks. Someone will come to sing into these empty spaces."

"My self-confidence can be measured out in teaspoons, mixed into my poetry, and it still always tastes funny in my mouth."

"I’ll always keep an extra supply of chocolate and rain boots nearby, because there is no heartbreak that chocolate can’t fix.
Okay
WhatIReallyRead
No Matter the Wreckage - Poems by Sarah Kay

No Matter the Wreckage is a collection of contemporary poetry. Some of the poems I really liked. They felt deep, touching, clever, real, conveyed oceans of feeling and resonated with some of my own experiences.

The others I did not quite get, see the point of. They seemed pretty random, unnecessary, pretentious or preachy.

The style is one of the major issues I have with most of contemporary poetry. It seems like these poets sometimes just put a bunch of random stuff together, punctuate it with
Mohamed Ghazi
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I am not the type of reader who usually gives 1 star to books, but this book is really bad. To be honest, I don't know Sarah Kay and this book was recommended by Amazon based on my poetry books purchases. Also, I really liked the cover.
The thing I don't understand about this book that it is not poetry, it is more of a diary. So many irrelevant personal stories were shared by the author in this book that made it impossible for me to relate while reading. The only thing I felt is being bored.
I did
Jenny's
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sarah Kay is an enormously talented young poet. Watching her express herself through poetry on youtube is even more satisfiying. She is one to keep an eye on in the future,as well as now. As she matures in her craft and develops it will be exiting to see just how far she flies!
molaffle
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hopping on the poetry bandwagon for 2018 is intimidating considering my exposure to the hype as I have been resisting it for quite a while now. The poetry books I have read so far are either lackluster or bland in terms of writing, but this book completely changed my viewpoint on poetry. If you are planning to read more poetry this reading year, I can tell you one thing for sure, Sarah Kay will not disappoint.

“You can only fit so many words into a postcard.
Only so many in a phone call. Only so
Demo
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
"We both know how to hide our sharpest parts, I just don’t always recognize my own weaponry."

So beautifully written. So lovely. Left you thinking.

"Do not spend time wondering if you are the type of woman men will hurt. If he leaves you with a car-alarm hea
Kris
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-list, poetry
Sarah Kay: AMAZING.

I have waited what seems like FOREVER to see her work in print. Many of my favorite spoken word poems are in here, and there are so many new ones that I'm in love with now. "Mrs. Ribeiro" is my current favorite, and "Scissors" and "Boom" and "Grace" and… OK, I can't pick just one.

If you haven't seen her TED talk, go watch it.

If you haven't found her videos on YouTube, go find them.

Then, read this book. Give it to your friends. Read it again.

I think I'm going to have to buy a
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emotional, poetry
4 Poetic, Sarah Kay Fan Stars

Favs<3 :

I.
- Love poem #137
-The toothbrush to the bicycle tire
-The first poem in the imaginary book

II.
-Slivers
-Brother
-Hands

III.
-Evaporate
-Something we don't talk about, part I
-Dragons

-And found
-Yolk
-Accidents

VIII.
-On the discomfort of being in the same room as the boy you like
-Open

IX.
-The type
-The Paradox
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2016-reads
'No Matter the Wreckage' is the kind of book that keeps getting better and better as you read through. The kind that you find yourself getting back to read again.
Sarah Kay is really one of a kind! The way she uses the simplest things to describe the things we long for is amazing.
This was my first book I read for Sarah Kay and she already won me as a fan.
I Definitely recommend you reading it. It's awesome!
Anoud Q
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
What a dreadful read. Her writing style was simply not my cup of tea, I liked a poem or two, but it didn't has a wow factor or anything and I loathed reading it out loud or even silently *Shocked* because I usually enjoy reading poetry books out loud. I barely enjoyed it if not at all.

I couldn't fathom or relate to most of her poems which made it harder for me to like this collection of poems.
leila
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who knew objects like a toothbrush and bicycle tire could be used to describe the love we secretly yearn for? Where do I exactly begin to describe the beauty of each word Sarah Kay uses? I'm at a complete loss for words. Even before reading this book, bits of Sarah Kay's poems across the internet had me dabbing at my cheeks, not realizing I'd been tearing up.
Michelle
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and joyous.
Lu
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2016, poetry
I'm sad to say I didn't really enjoy this poetry collection, specially since everyone who's read this seems to love it. Poetry is a very subjective thing, and for me to appreciate it I have to connect with what it's saying. That unfortunately did not happen with this collection.

I felt very detached from the author and the themes while reading the poems, and I felt that the free-form didn't help convey the message she was trying to get accross. I also feel that the stories she was telling were v
Gaby
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love you, Sarah Kay.
R.C. Gonzales
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, romance
Dear Ms. Sarah,

Thank you for introducing me to one of the best kind of poetry.

This is epic. :)

Your new fan,
Rosema
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favourites
This is one of my favourite poetry books, it’s up there with Milk and Honey and This Modern Love. I’ve only really gotten into poetry books within the last year and I’m so glad I picked this one up!

My favourites included “Mrs. Ribeiro” about her former school principle who quite frankly sounds amazing. The poem discusses how Sarah uses what Mrs. Ribeiro taught her to inspire and teach her own students-

"She spoke to us like we were scholars. Artists. Scientists. Athletes. Musicians. And we were.
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 May 07, 2017 03:50PM
  • Love and Other Small Wars
  • The Year of No Mistakes: A Collection of Poetry
  • Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting
  • Shaking the Trees
Sarah Kay is an American poet. Known for her spoken word poetry, Kay is the founder and co-director of Project V.O.I.C.E., a group dedicated to using spoken word as an inspirational tool.

Sarah Kay, a graduate of Brown University, was born in New York to a Japanese American mother and a Jewish American father. She began performing poetry at the Bowery Poetry Club in the East Village at the age of 1
“Forgive yourself for the decisions you have made, the ones you still call mistakes when you tuck them in at night” 165 likes
“Is there a word for the moment you win tug-of-war? When the weight gives, and all that extra rope comes hurtling towards you, how even though you've won, you still end up with muddy knees and burns on your hands? Is there a word for that? I wish there was.” 155 likes