Start by marking “"You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth" and Other Things You'll Only Hear from Your Friends In The Powder Room” as Want to Read:

Thank God for girlfriends and shared visits to powder rooms!
That’s always been the concept behind our website InThePowderRoom.com where we’ve been entertaining women with our humor and bold, brave honesty since 2009. Now we’re taking it to the next level with an anthology of original short stories from some of the wittiest women writers we know—stories they would only tell
Published August 1st 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Be the first to ask a question about "You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth" and Other Things You'll Only Hear from Your Friends In The Powder Room

Teresa Wilkins
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Hysterical
Diane InThePowderRoom
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok - I'm biased, but in a world where "Laugh Out Loud" is a very over-used term, this really is a laugh-out-loud book. Written with heart, honesty and humour - there is something for every woman in here.
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
I loved this book! It was fun, hilarious, and made me feel so much better about myself as a mom. There's no guilt like Mommy guilt and to hear other moms' honest accounts of their parenting journeys is really encouraging to me. There were so many times I nodded my head, thinking "me too" while reading this book. I love that---the summary says that through vulnerable and honest moments we forge strong connections and discover we aren't so alone after all---and that hits the nail on the head.

So
Robyn Engel
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
All of the stories in this book are well written. Some are excellent and left lasting impressions, be it due to shock value, humor, or because they were prolific. My favorites were: Fugitives by Liz Dawes, "Good Vibrations"? by Dawn Weber, Backflash by Keesha Beckford, and Dropping the Mask by Angie Kinghorn. These were unforgettable, in addition to vivid images some other authors created --e.g., a tampon hanging from a woman's mouth, and a cauliflower vagina. As a whole, given the powerhouse of ...more
C.G.
This is a collection of short essays from women bloggers, many of whom I have read and/or follow or read about. I found it uneven for me - some were very funny, others were not to me, although could be to others. I have to say that my favourite story, "The Round-Headed Baby", is from one of my favourite people, Mere Smith, whom I knew originally as a writer on the TV show, "Angel". Her story had humour and touched me as well. (At this point, she would probably make a rude joke! ;) ) Some of the ...more
Sally Kilpatrick
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, this collection of essays is not for the faint of heart. That said, if you've ever thought to yourself, why didn't anyone TELL me being a woman is like this! Then this is the collection for you. I dare say this should be required reading for all women in their 20s and 30s so they'll know what's coming as well as required reading for the rest of us women so we can say, "Oh good. It's not just me!"

Humorous and poignant--and sometimes over the top--but these are the essays of women who've found
Maryellen
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Picked this up after I failed to win a copy on FirstReads, and it was worth buying. It was hit or miss as most anthologies are. For the most part, however, the essays were humorous and fast paced.

I'd recommend paraphrasing someone else's words: "For those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they'll like."
Janel
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I laughed out loud several times. Hilarious stories. One of the writer's is by a high school classmate of mine--Julie Stamper. Loved her story and of course read it first. All the stories are entertaining.
Nancy Kho
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book for the picking up in those little moments between carpool, dinner prep, work deadlines...an essay or two was just the right length of time and the right amount of pick-me-up. Diverse group of talented writers!
Mary Payne
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this anthology-some are hit or miss but most made me laugh out loud many times. I like that this was a compilation of many different experiences in a woman's life-not just ones dealing with kids. Worth it fir a great pick me up!
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Some great laugh-out-loud stories and some serious ones as well - great stuff by, for and about women. I have a couple of new bloggers I want to check out after reading this book!
Sharmaine Villalobos
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book quite as entertaining as this before!
The book truly isn't for the faint of heart. At first you think, "Okay so I'm going to be reading a book written by women who complain and complain...just look at the cover...super girly..."

Oh no no no! The writers are just downright snarky. Complain? Well it isn't the annoying type of complaining, that's for sure! It's more like they turn a overly embarrassing situation into lighthearted banter.

Ever felt as if something that happened
Rebecca
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Compilation of blog posts from women.

I had high hopes for this book since it has a 4+ rating on Goodreads -- and even purchased it since it wasn't available at the library -- but overall, I was disappointed. Some of the stories were really funny while others were just ho-hum. I have started following a few new pages on Facebook because of the really funny writers, but it's too early to tell whether or not they will be amusing.
Aisling
May 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Short stories by women writers. IMO there is a fine line between being funny and just being vulgar and many of these stories went way over that line. The level of repetition is annoying and I would neither reread nor recommend this book.
Christina
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of these stories were really entertaining to read. I especially liked the 'ABC Club' one and 'My Life as a Moo Cow'. On finishing, though, I find that the target audience is for women much older than myself, so I'll be sure to let my mum borrow it, too. Entertaining. :)
Penny
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wasn't as funny as some of the blogs I had read.
But it was a good read.
Bonnie Sewell
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't think it was that funny...
Jess White
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Standard female humor.
Teri Biebel
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this and am giving away a copy on my Snarkfest blog. http://snarkfestblog.blogspot.com/201...
Stacy
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an entertaining read.
Vicki Lesage
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So many honest and relatable stories! A fun read!
Sharon
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this is like sitting around with your girlfriends talking about life. It's hysterical. Easy to relate to and makes you think, "Oh good, it's not just me!"
Kaylee
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epubs
Very quick read, but funny!
Lesa Parnham
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Real life chick lit. Some of the stories are cute, needed a good laugh. This one was so so
Katy
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Some cute stories in this book. Some were geared more towards women with children and others were even more appropriate for middle aged women. I understood the humor but couldn't relate.
Burlison

• Everybody Present: Mindfulness in Education
  • Raising Henry: A Memoir of Motherhood, Disability, and Discovery
  • I Still Just Want to Pee Alone
  • Vigilante
  • I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • The Digital Invasion: How Technology Is Shaping You And Your Relationships
  • Fakebook: A True Story. Based on Actual Lies
  • Biking Across America: My Coast-To-Coast Adventure and the People I Met Along the Way
  • Clash of the Couples
  • Dogging Steinbeck: How I Went in Search of John Steinbeck's America, Found My Own America, and Exposed the Truth about 'Travels with Charley'
  • I Prayed For Patience: God Gave Me Children
  • How I Exiled My Inner Bitch
  • Don't Lick the Minivan: And Other Things I Never Thought I'd Say to My Kids
  • Killing JFK: 50 Years, 50 Lies -From the Warren Commission to Bill O’Reilly, A History of Deceit in the Kennedy Assassination
  • It's not my fault. Self Discovery & Admission
  • Run, Brother, Run: A Memoir of a Murder in My Family
  • Texts from Bennett
  • Mind of an Outlaw: Selected Essays
Leslie Marinelli is a butcher, a baker, and a candlestick maker. Okay, that's not exactly true, but she's pretty good a bunch of random things like small appliance repair, reading aloud to children, and shelving library books. Once upon a time she was the CEO and Editor-in-Chief of In The Powder Room, as well as the creative force behind the riotous blog Parenting Magazine called a "must read," Th ...more
“Hey, Melissa-is there anything I should know about having this kid that isn't in the books I've been reading?"
Sunlight streamed through the window, making the golden, hormone-induced mutton chops glisten upon my cheeks. As I waited for her answer, I thumbed through the glossy parenting magazines on her kitchen table.
A candle flickered by the sink, adding sweetness to the spit-up scented air that was gutting punched in the face by a diaper change...”
5 likes