Start by marking “A Father's Son” as Want to Read:
A Father's Son

A Father's Son

“Hanging around 53 Division for hours on end sucked, but getting driven to Dad’s place in a crappy yellow police car really sucked the bag.”
So says Justin Maloney after his mother is arrested in September 1988 and the 14-year-old hockey phenom has to live with his estranged father in downtown Toronto once again.
Unemployed and battling addiction, Rick Maloney wants t
Published July 29th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about A Father's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Father's Son

Aditi
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
As said by the author, Umberto Eco, “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” , in the same way, a very talented author of this generation, Richard Harris, has tried to portray those true words of Umberto Eco in his book, A Father's Son through his exquisite words. A Father's Son is a tale of a son and his estranged father, and how they hold onto each other in the very difficult ...more
Merril Anil
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I m an emotional wreck right now

First of all a huge thanks to the author Richard Harris for lending me a copy to read and review and also to my book buddy Aditi Saha for recommending the book to me and my name to the author for an honest review.

Well I should start by saying that I hate the author. Why? Because he made me cry so bad towards the end of the book that even after I have completed it, I m still teary eyed and have a empty box of tissues in front of me and in desperate need of another one
JudithAnn
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good coming of age story about a boy who is more or less alone in the world. He's got a mother - in prison, and a father - who tries hard, but fails to care properly for his son. His best friend's mother is like a second mother for him, and when things get tough, he spends time at their house.

He's a good ice hockey player, and this is where his father supports him at his best. He drives him to matches and cheers from the sides. When Justin gets a girlfriend, his father
Fairlie
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the main character in this book. Justin, is a 14 year old with passion and compassion. The author manages to convey the confusion, and multitude of raw emotions that course through Justin with insight and feeling. One thing that I found especially nice about the book is the historical and political discussion that runs through the narrative via the father, Rick. Not only is the book a good read, but its an educational one. Additionally, an interesting theme through the book is a look at e ...more
Jonathan Mansoor
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"A Father's Son" delves into the father-son relationship through the medium of fiction and the prism of it's protagonist, the coming-of-age teenager Justin Maloney. More than just the trials and tribulations of Justin, the book is made interesting for any group, with the author's brilliant layering of the father, with his love of words, history and culture.

The author challenges the reader to re-examine the concept of wealth, in that, can one be wealthy if you are poor, but have your father's pr
Melanie Rooks
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"A Father's Son" was an absolute pleasure and delight to read. I found myself submersed in the world created by Mr. Harris as it took me back to my own teenage years in Toronto. You believe in the characters...you feel their pain and their angst...you want to save them. There's a realness in the dynamics created between the varied characters of the book. Their lives play out in the world you create as if Mr. Harris had truly observed them for himself. As cliched as it sounds, I simply did not wa ...more
Katie
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once I was immersed in the story, I found this book almost impossible to put down. I needed to know how things would end for Justin and for his flawed, but realistic, parents. It would have been too easy to portray Justin's father as a caricature of a train wreck alcoholic, but he managed to infuse this character with real human qualities, flawed but optimistic, kind, and likeable.
Tammy
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
A Father's Son is a sweet coming of age story of a relatively ordinary teenager, Justin, (except for his hockey prowess who is going through a rough patch. His moms was recently arrested forcing him to move back in with his dad who struggles with alcoholism. On top of this the main character struggles with the run of the mill issues of school, his first real girlfriend, and hockey. The characters were all well developed, believable and while some were flawed you still had compassion for them. Th ...more
Kim
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Harris has written a great story set in the 80’s in Toronto. The main character is a 14 year old boy who is gifted on the ice and has a passion for hockey, which is the only thing he has in common with his self destructive father. The story is full of the newsworthy events of the time. I highly recommend this book for the hockey lover, or anyone who enjoys a good story about the challenges life presents and how they make us stronger. I look forward to reading his next work of fiction.
Donna Harris
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! The author puts his protagonist, 14 year old budding hockey star, Justin Maloney, in a world that is juxtaposed and conflicted. Justin, as narrator, is painfully aware of the more stable family life of his best friend, Keith Fraser, while living and contending with his estranged father. As the story progresses Justin matures and develops his perceptions and sensitivity to the individuals in his life. It is a very rewarding read.
Monique
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. At first I was a little hesitant to read this book, but I must say I am glad I did. Loved the book and story line! A great coming of age story that ties in past historical events along with great pop culture. Definitely recommend any and all avid readers read this book.
Vicki Rivard
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book (after having it on my "To Read" list for a very long time) & feel like I always feel at the end of a truly epic hockey game: I'm sad it's over, I'm happy (so happy) it happened & I'm smiling through tears.

I loved LOVED this book.
Glenn
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Alexander White
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, love Justin and his Father. Not only is Richard Harris a great author he is a great guy. Anyone who hasn't read it, should READ IT NOWWWWWW. Overall an amazing book.
Sonja
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Little bit sad, also sweet. I like book much.
Michele Geatley
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

I wish the book had touched more on Justin's relationship with his father and less on his relationship with Ali. Still a great read.
Amy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Father's Son is a wonderfully written novel. The author weaves a compelling story from the perspective of a teenaged boy. Regardless of whether you are a father, son, mother, daughter or friend, this book will appeal.
I absolutely could not put it down. I hope Richard Harris writes another book soon.
Michael Corcoran
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: heavy, teen
As a childhood friend of the author, and a closet writer working on my own father/son novel, I made an instant, intimate connection with A Father's Son. I relived scenes straight out of my childhood on one page, and as an imperfect parent myself, empathized deeply with the father on the next. All in all, a great debut and what I hope is the first of many more to come.
B. F.
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had previously only read Richard Harris's short stories, which I loved. This full lenght novel was fantastic. Being a father of a hockey-playing son and daughter, I found the book totally engaging and full of the bitter sweet pangs of teenhood, and the complicated dealings between fathers and sons.
Randy Morgan
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It was funny and emotional and haunting all at the same time. I look forward to Mr. Harris' next offering and plan on re-reading this one soon. I highly recommend this one to people of all ages - from 16 to 106. Enjoy!
Erin Lynn

• Stopped Cold
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
  • The Indigo Bunting
  • The Sharing Moon
  • Aloha Rose (Quilts of Love, #12)
  • Pure Trash: The Story
  • It Burns a Lovely Light
  • The Vicar's Wife (Tales from Goswell #1)
  • Clan Fianna (The Fellwater Tales #3)
  • The Bittersweet Vine
  • True North: The Shocking Truth about "Yours, Mine and Ours"
  • The List Conspiracy (Wallis Jones, #1)
  • The View from Casa Chepitos: A Journey Beyond the Border
  • Secrets of the Old Ladies' Club
Richard Harris was born in Toronto, Canada in 1974. After completing a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science at McGill University in 1996, he moved to South Korea, where he lived for 10 years. He then spent two years travelling the world and returned to Toronto in 2009.

Visit his website at:

Read his short stories
“[A]s you will come to see, everything in life comes at a price. Nothing is free, not a single thing, tangible or intangible. There is an equilibrium at play all the time. For every gain, there is a loss of equal value. For every heart that is broken, one is sutured. It’s called balance, and it’s the only reason the universe doesn’t collapse onto itself at any given moment.” 6 likes
“She’s an angel, Justin. Someone fashioned in the heavens. Women will continue to enter your life for as long as you live, but few will turn heads like Ali does. Fewer still will have her spiritus. Take it from someone who has been down this path many times, seen a great deal, and failed more often than not. Hold on to what is precious in your life with the strength needed to resist a gale-force wind. And never, ever let go.” 4 likes