Start by marking “The Woodlands (The Woodlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Woodlands (The Woodlands, #1)

The Woodlands (The Woodlands #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  3,081 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews
When being unique puts you in danger and speaking your mind can be punishable by death, you might find yourself fighting to survive. Sixteen-year-old Rosa lives in one of the eight enclosed cities of The Woodlands. Where the lone survivors of a devastating race war have settled in the Russian wilderness because it’s the only scrap of land left habitable on the planet. In t ...more
Published August 24th 2013 by Clean Teen Publishing (first published August 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Woodlands, please sign up.
Sheila There is some fairly gruesome violence in the first 25% of the book. I'm not sure it's appropriate for kids in general. :-/

Stacy
I varied between 3 and 4 stars until the last half of the book.

The Woodlands was the second random book that I picked up in my search for a mind-blowing book. I don't care about the genre, I just want a mind-blowing book. Anyway, while this book was very good, it certainly wasn't mind-blowing. This was an above average read for the dystopian genre and I really enjoyed the story. I ended up really liking the characters and I'm 100% sure that I will continue this series. I think there are already
Rebecca Gober
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! If you like adventure, romance and some crazy twists and turns that keep you up late at night reading, this is the book for you! This is a unique dystopian with an epic romance! You will fall in love with Lauren Nicolle Taylor's writing and her characters.

description

See the full disclosure here: http://www.cleanteenpublishing.com/th...

An amazing read!
Julie Darley (Never judge a Book by its Movie)
I picked up this book when it was offered free on Amazon. (As of today it still is) The premise sounded so good and I was so excited. It was related to a book that if you liked Hunger Games this would be a alternate to that. It wasn’t the story for me, I struggled with most of it yet determinedly I managed to get to the end hoping it would grip me. It didn’t.

Having said that it has many great reviews, it appeals to many people. It just wasn’t ‘talking’ to me. What I struggled with was Rosa, she
BookLoversLife
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has been on my kindle since it came out but I was holding off reading till the rest had published. When I was asked to review the audio though I jumped at the chance! The books sounded amazing and were getting great reviews. Well I loved it!!

The blurb above sums it up enough so I'll get straight into what I thought.

I liked Rosa for the most part, she was brave, strong and wasn't afraid to take chances. My heart broke for her so many many times! She lives in a house where her stepfathe
Amber
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Woodlands by Lauren Nicolle Taylor is an edge-of-your-seat, thrilling dystopian adventure chock full of self-discovery, blossoming love, and hope amidst despair. I went into this story with my own ideas, but they were obliterated by what I found instead. I was so happy to be wrong because this story touched my heart deeply in a way that I never expected. Heart-wrenching pain and world changing love met me in this journey, and I was delighted to let them lead me from beginning to end. I loved ...more
BL834
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Taylor writes well enough, I'll give her that (decent imagery, evocative wording), but I can't say this book is better than barely okay. Perhaps Ms. Taylor's storytelling improves in her later works. She seems to have lots of potential as an author.

The storyline started off interestingly enough, but spiraled out of control into ridiculousness. What could have been a warning fable of totalitarianism became instead a jumping off point for practically every mankind-induced-ill conceivable: near
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book! I had no idea what to expect when I started reading it, but I was so completely pleasantly surprised. I just loved everything about this book- the plot, the characters, the dialogue, just all of it. I could not put this book down, and I am so eagerly anticipating the next one!
The Woodlands is the first installment in The Woodlands series written by author Lauren Nicolle Taylor. This young-adult dystopian romance was a wild, wild ride! At first, I was not sure I would like it because the story of a highly stringent, zero tolerance society has been written before. But after hitting the 30% mark I could not put The Woodlands down! The originality of this book is a breath of fresh air, and at 275 pages it's a quick but intense read. On the heels of a devastating race war ...more
MJ
Jul 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was one of the strangest books I have read in a long time. It starts off with a girl (Rosa) who has issues with her Dad leaving her, then grows up with a similar mentality of hating the Superiors that control the country where she lives, with her Mom and step-father. It wasn't too hard to understand why, since this book takes place in a micro-managed dystopia that has ridiculous rules and a caste system. The heroine, despite knowing the rules well, always speaks out and rebels. This is ...more
Jon Messenger
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found the world that Lauren Taylor created in The Woodlands to be fascinating. It was a remarkable view of the none-too-distant future.

In the book, Rosa is a rebellious youth living within one of the ringed cities in the inhospitable Siberian wilderness. She exists as part of - and yet outside of - a very well-oiled machine run by the mysterious Superiors. As she goes to the Classes to get her future job assignment, she thinks she's figured out her place in the machine. Yet, like a single cog
Beth Gray
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, such a gripping page-turner! Echoes of "hand maids tale" and "tomorrow when the war began", brilliantly written with thought and creativity. Excellent character development, rosa as a vulnerable but strong willed girl who slowly blossomed under unconditional love. Joseph as her rock and fluid gold, their dependence on each other is breathtaking.
Twists and turns during the course of the book took my breath away, I cannot wait to read the next instalment! Fabulous first novel from an extreme
Emma
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I emerged from reading The Woodlands to find my house a mess, the kids grubby and in need of feeding. I think it's safe to say that I was captivated by the charcters and the plot line. I am a slow dyslexic reader but finished the book in 24 hours.

My son begged me to let him read it, he is now doing a book study on it and completing his written work very quickly to get onto the next chapter!
Georgia
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sits beside Obernewton, Guardian of Isis, and Z for Zachariah and Hunger Games. It is truly worthy of a place among all the best post apocalyptic teen fiction, and I absolutely can't wait for the next instalment.
Jocelyn Sanchez
Let me start my review off by saying, I didn't really read Dystopian books. I never really got into them, but this book is making me change my mind. Now, I really love the Dystopian genre!! This book was fantastic! Spectacular! It had everything I look for in a book: Action, Adventure, and even romance! The plot was well thought-out and very interesting to read. All in all, I think this book is a big success!

In the beginning of the book we read about the Woodlands which contain eight enclosed c
Cheer Papworth
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA MATURE
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Clean Teen Publishing
I decided to read this book for to reasons. Reason one, it's free on Amazon and reason two, it's a Clean Teen Publishing book and so it's two very good reasons why I wanted this book.

I was blown away and yet shocked by this book. The cover kind of threw me off a bit, because looking at it, I would believe that I was getting ready to dive into a Paranormal World, but boy was I wrong. But like any other books out of my comfort zone, I gave it a go. I was kind of confused about the beginning and in
Holly
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading The Woodlands and I have to say, this is one of the best books I've read in a long time! I loved it from beginning to end. This author immerses you in a world so vivid,so tragic, and so inspiring that you will not be the same after reading it. Thank you, Lauren Taylor, for sharing such an amazing story. I will be watching closely for the next book in this series.
Arlene
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved these characters - flawed, strong, fighter spirits! How much pain can one character take? Loved Taylor's descriptions and how she touched all of my senses with her words. Excellent storyline that keeps you guessing.
Pauline Creeden
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dystopian novels are all the rage, and yes, I jump on that bandwagon, too. I've read most of the popular ones, and many by indies as well. It seems so rare these days to find one that has an original vein in it. The Woodlands succeeds. With a smart, snarky, and heroic main character and a swoon-worthy love interest, the book will draw in many readers of the YA/NA crowd. But then pepper in the dystopian part - the world our dynamic duo live in is cruel and unyielding. Completely and utterly unyie ...more
Lauren
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to a very promising dystopian series. Lauren Taylor has created a society that is quite unique and something I have not seen yet. With so many authors breaking into the rising craze of the dystopian genre, it is wonderful reading a book who's author has weaved a world so original that you cannot even picture where in the world it is taking place until she tells you. Absolutely refreshing.

There comes a time in the story where I thought that things were starting to look up fo
Joana Veríssimo
This starts with a Hunger Games feeling to it and then leaves that to have a touch of Brave New World, but it's never as good as any of those. It wasn't the book for me - still a high 3 stars book - it had some interesting things, especially the ideas behind it, but the plot wasn't really my favorite
But if you're looking for an young adult post-apocalyptic book with an interesting premise, check it out :)

Also it was the last book for my OWLs - Ancient Runes - finished just in time :D Free on Go
Vanessa Wester
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
There is no doubt that the author has let their creativity go on this one, but the second half did not work for me.

I have had this on my kindle for ages, after getting it as a free download, and when I started reading it I was gripped and loved the way the story developed. However, on the second half, the story focused a lot on pregnancy. Since I have "endured" three cesarean sections, I am happy not to recall pregnancy or the birth process. So, I found this book's focus on this put me off.

At th
Renée Swann
Wow. Sometimes when a book is so awesome and well written, I don’t know where to begin with the review. But I’ll give it a go.

I downloaded The Woodlands for free on my Kindle app, not expecting much, but needing something new and fresh to read. From the first paragraph, I was hooked (which is something unusual nowadays — sometimes it takes pages or even chapters to feel deep in the story). I couldn’t believe what a gem I’d found! The fast-paced, action-packed book is like NOTHING I have ever rea
Chris Bostic
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Woodlands is a solid dystopian book. The MC, Rosa, takes a little getting used to at first, but that's a big part of the charm of the story. It's always risky when the MC is somewhat unlikeable, but Ms. Taylor handles her character development very well. The emotions are tangible and believable throughout.

The love interest was similarly well done. I wish there was a bit more closure at the end, but I'm not one to fault the author for leaving things a little open ended. Overall, the world bu
Krishna Ward
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I sat down one Saturday afternoon with the trusty ipad to read this book. Just a few hours later I was madly trying to "turn" the last page. Not realising I had come to the end of the book - what a page turner, and what an ending. I could not wait to read the next one.
Beautiful, strong characters, magnificent settings and thrilling storyline. Loved it!
Make sure you clear your day to read this one, you won't regret a minute of it.
Jennifer Collins
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book, it was such a page turner, so hard to put down. the characters are really strong and easy to become attached to, the story is engrossing and well written. The author takes you into another world that is exciting, intriguing, and at times frightening. It's a world that you don't want to leave, roll on the sequel.
Jacinta Verbeeten
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
First book I've read in this genre (dystopian) and I struggled with the harsh punishments and violence. Despite this, I really got into the book and couldn't put it down toward the end. Sticking with my 4 star rating though as some bits I really did struggle with.... but I'm keen to read what happens in the next installment.
Tonia Witherspoon
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down!!! Rosa is a brave, flawed and very believable character. I love Joseph, however not a realistic portrayal of an 18 year old boy - as a matter if fact, I don't know a 40 year old male as compassionate, trusting, loyal and wise as Joseph. All in all - this book is an excellent read.
Mary Ann
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, dystopia, ya, tween
Great story and a new author to read. A young girl must decide to stay with or leave her mother and step father. Girls who fight against establishment expectations will admire the heroine of this tale.
Abbie Mason
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't too sure of this book at first but after awhile,I couldn't seem to put it down. I really loved the characters and am interested in reading the next book to see what happens.
  • Sovereign (Antius Ascending Series, #1)
  • Concealed in the Shadows (Concealed in the Shadows, #1)
  • Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1)
  • Whispers in Autumn (The Last Year, #1)
  • Lush (Lush, #1)
  • Tent City (Tent City #1)
  • Night of the Purple Moon (The Toucan Trilogy, #1)
  • The Change (The Bachelor Battles, #1)
  • The Breeders (Breeders, #1)
  • The Locket Thief
  • Reign of Blood (The Vampires of Vegas, #1)
  • The Bionics (Bionics, #1)
  • Land (Stranded #1)
  • Breeders (Breeders Trilogy, #1)
  • The Awakener (The Watchers of Men, #1)
  • Gone (Parallel Trilogy, #1)
  • Entanglement
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
Lauren Nicolle Taylor lives in the lush Adelaide Hills. The daughter of a Malaysian nuclear physicist and an Australian scientist, she was expected to follow a science career path, attending Adelaide University and completing a Health Science degree with Honours in obstetrics and gynaecology.

She then worked in health research for a short time before having her first child. Due to their extensive
More about Lauren Nicolle Taylor

The Woodlands (4 books)
  • The Wall (The Woodlands, #2)
  • The Wounded (The Woodlands, #3)
  • The Wanted (The Woodlands, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I felt an odd sense of protectiveness. It flaked off my skin, revealing a red-hot anger at the idea that someone would hurt him.” 4 likes
“And ultimately, when almost everything I did was controlled by the Superiors, by my teachers and by Paulo, I took what little control I could for myself and held onto it fiercely.” 3 likes