Start by marking “William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #5)” as Want to Read:

William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back

(William Shakespeare's Star Wars #5)

Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back and William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return. Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, strugg ...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Such a clever idea! Mash-up Shakespeare and sci-if
There truly are some enlightened passages in this retelling of episode V. Admiral Piett has a soul searching speech about men wearing masks; Leia and Han have the hilarious "scruffy nerf herder" scene. And of course there is the ubiquitous, " I have a feeling bad about this." Everything expected from a Star Wars book is included; everything expected in Shakespearean speech is used. The only downfall is with Yoda. Since everyone is already speakin
Carmen
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
This book was so great.

Yoda speaks in haiku! What a great way to make his speech different from the other characters. It took me a while to catch on, but once I did, I was tickled pink.

Han Solo and Princess Leia's love scenes are banter were SO CUTE! I was just dying from extreme cuteness of seeing them argue and then say lovey-dovey things in Shakespearean English.

Doescher does a GREAT job of bringing the minds of traditionally silent characters to the forefront. I adored listening in to the AT
Steven
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher
Published 2014, Quirk Books
Stars: ★★★☆☆
Review also posted at: Slapdash & Sundry

This Star Wars retelling in the form of a classic play was entertaining and highly clever, but much of it felt forced. I enjoyed it, but I didn't LOVE it. I'd consider reading more at some point in the future, but it won't be a series that I *have* to read RIGHT NOW.
Daniel
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nastavlja se dalje u istom maniru. Odlicno je i dalje. Plus Joda govori u Haiku formi :)
Chris
Yoda speaks in Haiku! Miss Piggy approves, oh master.
It’s true that I didn’t enjoy this as much as the first. Perhaps it is because I wasn’t epeecting to enjoy the first, perhaps it is because, as Doescher notes, Empire is too much of a tragedy to turn into too much of a laugh riot.
The idea still works, and Doescher seems more sure of himself here. R2-D2 still has a voice, but the use isn’t as heavy. Doescher also isn’t afraid to take pot shots. My favorite scene is the one about chasms. The b
Brandon
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
The Bard is back and he’s about to get all Lando Calrissian on your ass!

Ian Doescher has put forth The Empire Striketh Back, the second volume in his critically acclaimed William Shakespeare’s Star Wars series. Adapting episode five into a true Shakespearean tragedy shouldn’t be all that difficult seeing as the source material is about as Shakespearean as it gets. You’ve got all the common elements: contrast, fate, supernatural, catharsis – you’ve even got asides and soliloquies for added measur
Yzabel Ginsberg
I really liked the first book (or should I say "the 4th"? Heh...), but this one I liked even more. Perhaps because the movie itself was my favourite one in the original trilogy. Certainly also because the asides, this time, were used more often to reflect the action, and this seemed to fit better. Some of the characters (and even the monsters!) are given more thoughts, which felt both amusing and justified.

As usual, I confess to being quite the Shakespeare nerd in my own ways, and trying to matc
Alissa
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, awesome, fantasy, humor
This trilogy continues in its awesomeness! No spoilers needed. Everyone knows this story.

I would like to say this, however: I absolutely LOVED what Ian Doescher did with Yoda's character!
Tom
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Audiobook read by a cast.

Ian Doescher is back with more Shakespearian Star Wars as he progresses through the original trilogy. The Empire Striketh Back is very similar to Shakespeare's Star Wars with some minor differences. As before, if you like Star Wars and Shakespeare you will probably enjoy this book...especially if you liked the first one. I think this book comes across a bit more silly than the first which is unfortunate because The Empire Strikes Back is the darkest part of the trilogy a
Liz
I've received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. Thank you to Quirk Books for sending me this copy of the book in advance.

Well, Ian Doescher does it again. The first installment of William Shakespeare's Star Wars promised a funny and heartwarming way to begin the beloved trilogy. William Shakespeare's the Empire Striketh Back was still as funny, heartwarming, and true to the original series as the first installment.

However, there were a few things I was rather dis
Emily
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ian Doescher delivers the goods again with this follow-up to William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope. As in the first book, Doescher puts a Shakespearean spin on familiar lines from the movies. Here are a couple of my favorites.
LEIA: I know not whence thy great delusions come, thou laser brain.
CHEWBACCA (laughing): Gihut, gihut, gihut!
HAN: Aye, laugh indeed, thou furball large.

C3PO: Now Captain Solo, pray, a word with thee.
HAN (aside): A word from thee belike means hundreds more.
Dawn
Goodreads had a dedicated Shakespeare week and as part of that they had a few famous authors write a 'missing' scene to one of his plays, and Ian Doescher was one of those authors and I thought his scene was fantastic, so I looked him up to see what he wrote and low and behold, what he writes is Star Wars, in Shakespeare's style.
Now, I'm a big Star Wars fan, not quite a get dressed up for the movies type but I've got lines memorized and I've read a lot of the books (except for the ones after th
Pamela
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've had the boxed set of William Shakespeare's Star Wars for several months now, but have been moved to read books V and VI because of the movie opening this week.

These are quick reads--easier than "regular" Shakespeare if you know the movies, and if you know the movies really well (like "grew up watching them on repeat so you know all the lines" really well, or "saw them in theaters" really well) you might even hear the dialogue in the actors' voices. Ian Doescher is really talented at fusing
Wendy
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This wasn't as good as the first one, I didn't think, but it still had its moments, and it was still definitely worth the read. Part of the problem is the depressing ending of The Empire Strikes Back, which it couldn't very well change from the source material. I'm looking forward to the last in the trilogy very much. This is still a brilliant concept, and it's been a lot of fun so far. Still recommend to people who are fans of both Star Wars and Shakespeare.
Karissa
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this book from Quirk Books in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed the first book in this series; Verily, A New Hope. This book was even better than that book and it was a ton of fun to read. The final book in the trilogy, The Jedi Doth Return, is scheduled to release in July 2014.

Any Star Wars fan knows the story. Luke, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and crew are on the rebel base on the planet of Hoth. When things go South, Luke flees to get training from Yoda and the rest
Sesana
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play, star-wars
An improvement over William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope, which I already had an unreasonable like for. Doescher does a bit more playing around with form here, and I felt like the stray anons and heavy-handed references to actual Shakespeare plays were reigned in a bit. Also, the AT-ATs have lines, which I found strangely delightful.
Sarah Churchill
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's just something about Yoda that FITS in Shakespere :)

Everything I said about the first book still stands - I love everything about these books.

A copy of this book was supplied by the publisher in return for an honest review
Daphne
Not quite as good as the last one, but I still really enjoyed it.
Hana El.
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
So much better than the movies!! I love these so much - they're so good on audio!
Karin
4.5 stars for audiobook

Another fun installment in this series, so very good on audiobook, and for one of the six I've never seen the movie for. No point in recapping the story here since this is familiar to many and there are plenty of blurbs.

So, some fun things. If you weren't keen on the amount of chorus in Verily, a New Hope (a very Shakespearean technique), Doescher used a different Shakespearean technique for some of that description in this one.

So, how does one voice Yoda when virtually ev
S. M. Metzler
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. I am not a Shakespeare fan; the only play I read was Hamlet, and I was constantly clueless. But since this is Star Wars, this obviously has exceptions. It's very accurate to the movie, of course. 98/100 of it was dialog and 2/100 was action in parantheses, but the dialog counted for some action as well...if any of you have read Shakespeare, you'd know, a lot does actually happen when there is no outside narration. Reading this, I was actually able to enjoy the character ar ...more
Joana Veríssimo
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is probably on of the most beautiful books I own :) Really if you the chance pick it up and look at the art work!! It has these great drawings of scenes from the movie and since it's suppose to be a play, some of the big special effects scenes are moved to how they would be portrayed in stage
The monologues are very interesting and bring something new to the story, but of course it's the story we know and love :)
Overall it was a very enjoyable and fun read, very much like watching the Family
Zach
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just listened to the audio book after reading it many years ago, and I realized I haven’t written a review.

This book is awesome.

Read it now.

Yeah, I think that works.
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout)
Our story endeth, though your hearts do burn,
And shall until the Jedi doth return.

I initially saw William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope over the summer, and while I thought the idea was cute, I did not invest the time into reading it. I did, however, eagerly enter this Goodreads giveaway, and I'm glad I did!!

I loved this book!! I liked it way more than I thought I would! It is fun, and halarious, and very Star Wars, and very Shakespeare, and very brilliant!!! In fact, I think I enj
Daisy
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any Shakespeare or Star Wars fan
Epic, once again! This book was just as entertaining, witty and funny as the first. The only tiny flaw for me was that I felt the thing where a character would say multiple sentences starting with the same couple of words, for example,

Of all the situations I have seen,
Of all the problems small or dangers great,
Of all the rubs and scrapes have scratch'd my life,
Of all the enemies just barely fled-
This moment now doth seem the worst of all.

was very overused. It is definitely poetic, and it is s
Yasameen
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I received a free copy as a giveaway from Goodreads.

I really enjoyed this book! I hadn't read the first one (William Shakespeare's Star Wars) yet but it is Star Wars so I had no problem reading this one. I was afraid that the text would be as dense as Shakespeare but it is very accessible and funny! Doescher does asides with R2D2 and AT-ATs so you can see what they are thinking. I laughed out a loud while reading. It was very entertaining and I highly recommend it if you are a Star Wars fan!
Bekah
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just too funny. I'm not sure I can give this, or any of the books in this series less than a full five stars. It is just so well done, both the rephrasing/reimagining and the full cast performance. I actually find myself understanding the films better for having listened too this. Curious to listen to the audiobook for the first three, despite never having seen their films.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't forget the afterward! And definitely best on audio.
Edward Ainslie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good book if you are a Drama enthusiast and also like start wars.
  • Goodnight Darth Vader
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • Star Wars: The National Public Radio Dramatization
  • Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion
  • Star Wars Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
  • Mercy Kill (Star Wars: X-Wing, #10)
  • Star Wars: Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide
  • Star Wars Art: Visions
  • Scourge
  • Kenobi (Star Wars)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
Ian is the author of the William Shakespeare Star Wars series. He's a Portland native, and lives in Portland with his spouse and two children. Ian has a B.A. in Music from Yale University, a Master of Divinity from Yale Divinity School, and a Ph.D. from Union Theological Seminary.

William Shakespeare's Star Wars (8 books)
  • William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #1)
  • William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #2)
  • William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #3)
  • William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)
  • William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #6)
  • William Shakespeare's The Force Doth Awaken (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #7)
  • William Shakespeare's Jedi the Last: Star Wars Part the Eighth (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #8)
“YODA Nay, nay! Try thou not. But do thou or do thou not, For there is no “try.” 34 likes
“Thou man of scruffy looks, thou who heard’st nerfs, Thou fool-born wimpled roughhewn waste waste of flesh!” 10 likes