Start by marking “William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #6)” as Want to Read:

William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return

(William Shakespeare's Star Wars #6)

Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back and William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return. Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, strugg ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return

Start your review of William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #6)
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Not since ol' Harold Hecuba showed up on Gilligan's Island has Shakespeare been so much fun . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

This is the third time Billy Shakes has done Star Wars so what do I even say? I'll tell you what I say. Not much because it's Super Bowl Sunday and I'm earning my Wife of the Year Award by making a shitpile of food for the men in my house to gorge their faces on this evening. I'm also about 47 reviews behind for the year and fell into
Brina
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Jedi Doth Returned is the sixth installment of William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher. I read this as pure guilty pleasure in between heavier books; however, I find it charming reading the story I love in iambic pentameter. I always felt that Star Wars is a classic timeless story of good vs evil. By setting the stories to Shakespeare, Doescher validates this sentiment that I share with many of my fellow Star Wars lovers. Additionally, he has done much research into the characters an ...more
Carmen
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
The exciting conclusion to the trilogy.

Again, I really enjoyed this. Star Wars, the original trilogy, is such a great story. It's very fun to read lines you have memorized and a plot you have watched for decades with fresh eyes.

I was swooning at Han Solo and Leia's love! Very romantic. It makes me think of how poorly romance and falling in love is done, in the usual books I read.

I love how Leia's such a boss. She fights, she kills, she's defiant. She gives orders and everyone listens to her -
Christine
Disclaimer: I won an ARC via a giveaway on Booklikes. The book arrived with two posters.

Are Ewoks too cute? That is the question.

Whether it is nobler to kill Vader or redeem . . .

Whatever. I give in.

Jedi Doeth Return is Ian Doescher’s adaption of the last classic Star Wars movie into Shakespearean verse. One hopes that it is not the last Star Wars movie Doescher attacks in such a way.

Attacks is too harsh a word. Adapts.

Please Doescher do more because that way there will be some news about Star
Sesana
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play, star-wars
Return of the Jedi is actually my favorite Star Wars movie (probably because it was the first one that I watched in full), so I knew I'd like this one. And I do, a lot. I especially like that my favorite Star Wars character, Wedge Antilles, gets his own speech. Doescher does some interesting stuff with the Ewoks, too.
Ana
I really like the audiobook, but I recommend also flipping through the physical book for the illustrations. They're great!
Maria
The entire audio production was just as superb as #5 and made me laugh just as much. Doescher allows himself to play within both the film and the writing structure as he brings back our haiku lovin' Yoda and the rhyming couplets provided to Han and Leia which is a great way to have them toss back and forth the same lively dialogue of the film. Not only is the cast fantastic but the incorporation of the original film score as well as the sounds effects compliment the book and drive sections along ...more
Brandon
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, syfy, 2014
Ian Doescher’s presentation of William Shakespeare’s take on the original Star Wars trilogy has come to an end. Hopefully Doescher stays away from the prequels – if not, I’d fear Shakespeare could rise from the dead to keep his name far from that garbage.

Luke Skywalker and the rebel alliance are getting ready to make their final stand against the tyranny of The Empire. The second Death Star is fast approaching completion and the good guys must find a way to regroup following the events of The Em
Marjolein
This was, once again, a lot of fun. I got a signed edition from the Forbidden planet, which added that little extra for me.

The formula at this point is known. It faithfully follows the story of a Star Wars movie but transforms it into a iambic pentameter. It works for me though, and it kept working also through this edition. I had a great time reading it. And I think if you are into Star Wars and want to have the same story in a slightly different way, try these books.

[Exeunt pursued by ewoks]

Catherine Stormblessed
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’M EMO CAUSE THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL.

Fav Quotes:

>C-3P0: ‘Tis better, as they say, to make
The peace than make us all in pieces be.

>YODA: This is our hope: there
Is another Skywalker.
The rest silence is.

>ACKBAR: Most vile, O trick of Emperor’s basest wit.
A snare, a ruse, a ploy: and we the fools.
What great deception hath been plied today—
O rebels, do you hear? Fie, ‘tis a trap!

>HAN: O, I do love thee, Leia dear.

LEIA: —I know.

>LUKE: My father, gracious father, lend me aid!
Extend to me the grace I beg of
Bekah
If humor be the food of love, read on!

As with the hilarious Verily, A New Hope which I listened to in June, The Jedi Doth Return (yes, I know, I skipped one) has all the wonderful quotes from Shakespeare and the Star Wars films. And if that isn't enough, this one brings in the brilliant Ewoks and a certain smuggler sings a little ditty at the end.

While likely wonderful to read, I definitely recommend the audiobooks. It is like sitting in the audience of a play...or a rowdy performance at a Ren F
Amanda
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So entertaining! Like the author, this is my favorite of the Star Wars movies, so it was really enjoyable to experience it through Shakespeare. It was cool to get inside the character's heads in their soliloquies, and I really appreciated the added or emphasized depth to the characters, especially Darth Vader. I highly recommend this series for fun quick read.

And there are more coming out too!
Abby
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-read-again
Not quite as good as the first two, but still very delightful. I love seeing favorite parts of Shakespeare plays spattered throughout Star Wars. "Lando doth protest too much, methinks." I can't wait to see what Ian Doescher does with the prequels. Perhaps he could redeem Jar-Jar.
Karla
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Ok, by 10% I'd kinda had enough. It's a cute concept, but I think my cockatoo got more enjoyment out of having it read to her than I got out of reading it myself. This is snobbish, I know, but I'd rather just read Shakes himself.
Jeffrey Debris
The last part of the original trilogy in Shakespearean style! I'm a big fan of the original trilogy, although it has to be said that I'm not that fond of the Ewoks, which do play a big part in the closing part of this saga. So, how doth this part last fare in review?

Rancor:  [sings] They shriek at my mystique,
my teeth they'll die beneath,
A feast made for a beast,
A treat that I may eat!

As with the other two books in the William Shakespeare's Star Wars series this book is written as if it were a S
Alissa
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought Shakespeare could be so awesome? Not I, that's for sure. But let me backtrack... Whilst earning my undergrad degree, which was in communications, I had to take several required English/literature-themed classes. Ditto for when I went back to school to get my MLIS. So the works of the Bard were pretty much unavoidable. Sure, I could tolerate watching those works performed, but reading them? Well, I'm gonna admit it: Reading Shakespeare was torture. Absolute torture. Oftenti ...more
Karin
4.5 for audiobook

Hear ye, hear ye of the audiobook
William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return
It truly is well done, the cast replete
With talent that doth justice do, indeed,
Star War fans and Shakespeare fans, hark, come near
Prithee, gather round your list'ning device
To hear Luke, Hans, Leia and the rebels
Fight the good fight, their cause so just and true
And hear what happens in a method new.

Original Review

Another fun romp with Star Wars meets Shakespeare. It's amazing just how fun Star Wars is th
meghann
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, these books are the best. R2-D2 is so sassy. Han sings. And the illustrations. Omg.

photo Ackbar.jpg
Admiral Ackbar

All Star Wars fans should check these out. So much squee.
Jessamyn Leigh
These books make my little nerd heart so happy. I don't think this one was quite as strong as the first two, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
Beth Anne
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Truly, Star Wars was made for Shakespeare. This book is just amazing - a perfect combination of nerdy fandom but with far more depth and character development that any of the prequels or sequels accomplish. After the author’s note I cannot wait to pick up Empire, and these are books I’m so glad to own. Initially they seemed like just goofy and fun, but the attention to detail and depth is truly fantastic.

Standouts in Jedi include many soliloquys - the rancor keeper (relies heavily on Tales from
Natalya Kahmann
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Fie! ‘Tis a trap!”

I love this book! I love the William Shakespeare versions of Star Wars. A must read.

This was my OWLs requirement for a title with the word star in it. (The full title is William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return: Star Wars part the Sixth. Therefore, I am continuing it.)
Natalie
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2015
I just realized I didn’t have this one marked on Goodreads so I had to add it.

Witty, wonderful, hilarious, perfect.
Melanti
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Doescher takes this installment a bit more seriously than Verily, A New Hope. Whereas that had moments of pure crack, verging on a parody at times, this is more of a straightforward adaptation.

It's still fantastic, don't get me wrong. The verse is a lot more developed and mature. He writes a lot more of his own verse with lines from Shakespeare seamlessly blended in... But there's not any drawings of Vader doing a face-palm, or anything similar, and that makes just a little bit sad.

Overall, tho
Wendy
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love Star Wars and Shakespeare
A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. This one had a little less humor in it, but it was still enjoyable in a different way--the Shakespearean monologues were fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the Emperor's gleeful soliloquy on how much he enjoys being evil and how much he doesn't care about anyone. Recommend the trilogy to everyone who loves Star Wars and Shakespeare--now, on to the prequel versions to see if they're as good!
Lynette Caulkins
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
—What role shall I play in this? I shall
Not stand aside and let them fight for me.
I am no fragile damsel to be sav’d,
But have, since I was young, fought for myself.
Thus, to my work: to slay the biggest foe—
Thou, Jabba, art for me and me alone!

description

Doescher continues to entertain with this installment of the Shakespeare's Star Wars set. I love his handling of Leia, from the Jabba scene to the Ewoks interaction to the exchanges of romance with Han.

Speaking of the Ewoks, like the handling of Yoda's spee
Charlie Thacker
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
How do I put this. It was an interesting book. When I first saw this I kind of thought it would be something really funny and just a good laugh but it really isn't. Ian Doescher has done something with this and it really is amazing. He took star wars and transcribed it into iambic pentameter (For all you non drama geeks that's lines of exactly ten syllables) He also changed star wars a little to make it more Shakespearean. Like Jar-Jar isn't a total idiot he just acts that way to make people und ...more
S
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oddly enough, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the other two. Don't get me wrong, it's still good, just not quite up to the level of the first two. I'll give it another chance later. Perhaps the weirdest letdown was Doescher leaving out the "Ohhhhh ohhhhh" noises made by the Ewoks in the movie when they're worshiping C-3PO.
Melissa
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I listened to all 3. And all were super fun.
Trent
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
Another fun book in the series. (Of course once you start you have to read them all.)
Clara
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listening to the audiobook for this might just be the best decision I ever made. Full cast, complete with music - a perfect adaptation!

• Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • Star Wars Dark Legends
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
  • Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins Volume II
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • Kenobi (Star Wars Legends)
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
  • Poe Dameron: Free Fall
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren
  • The Rebel Files (Star Wars)
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
Ian is the author of the William Shakespeare Star Wars series and the Pop Shakespeare series. He's a Portland native, and lives in Portland with his spouse and children.

William Shakespeare's Star Wars (9 books)
  • William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #1)
  • William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #2)
  • William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #3)
  • William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)
  • William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #5)
  • William Shakespeare's The Force Doth Awaken (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #7)
  • William Shakespeare's Jedi the Last: Star Wars' Part the Eighth (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #8)
  • William Shakespeare's The Merry Rise of Skywalker: Star Wars Part the Ninth (William Shakespeare's Star Wars Book 9)