Start by marking “Last God Standing” as Want to Read:
Last God Standing

Last God Standing

Sensing his abdication, the other defunct gods of Earth’s vanquished pantheons want a piece of the action He abandoned.

Meanwhile, the newly-humanised deity must discover the whereabouts and intentions of the similarly reincarnated Lucifer, and block the ascension of a
Published March 25th 2014 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Last God Standing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last God Standing

Start your review of Last God Standing
Dan Schwent
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, angry-robot
When God goes on sabbatical and becomes a human, the resulting power vacuum causes chaos among the obsolete gods, leading to a series of god killings. Meanwhile, God grows up to be Lando Cooper, an aspiring comedian who works for his father. Can Lando figure out who is making the power grab without forsaking his mortal life?

I got this from the fine folks at Angry Robot via Netgalley.

So it seems Michael Boatman of Arl$$ and Spin City fame is also a writer and a pretty funny one at that. Once I kn
Matthew Gill
Jan 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Alright, for the record I REALLY wanted to like this book. The concept was a sound selling point that tempted me with the promise of an enjoyable ride. The idea of God abdicating his throne and having to contend with all the defunct deities of earth rushing to replace him was delightful. Even the witty banter and personification of some of the various characters was worthy of praise.

But alas. now I must get to the painful portion of my review. The undeniably and unbearable lack of some simple st
Kdawg91
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok, I liked this..alot. It's funny, I am a mythology buff, so the premise sold me immediately. I used to watch the author on Spin City back in the dark ages of mankind when you had to watch stuff on the TELEVISION, so not only was I interested when I heard about this, what am I saying? I am a book freak, there are very few books I am NOT interested in.

The story came across to me as if Mr. Boatman intended on this to be a script, now I know he didn't, but it reads like one. The dialogue is natura
Erik Smith
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stop me if you've heard this one...
So, this actor, Michael Boatman, decided to become a writer. He wrote some short stories and a novel, Revenant Road. He continued acting, because, c'mon, if you ain't Stephen King, you ain't making the big bucks, am I right?
Anyway, this Boatman guy decided to write a second novel. Yeah, what was he thinking, right? Well, apparently, he was thinking he would write a funny, profound look at religion and the human condition.
What he came up with was Last God Standi
Tim Hicks
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
All the gods the author can think of: check.
Protagonist is a nebbish who exists so things can happen to him: check.
His girlfriend is nice but he's going to screw it up at EVERY opportunity: check.
I've read this book before!
No, I haven't, but it just feels like it.

In a book written by a comedian, the comedy-performance parts don't work. And I must have missed why it was necessary, or why it made sense, or why it's what a former deity would do.

The plot can't decide if it's going to be a Car
Henry Lazarus
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Michael Boatman tells of how Jehovah is in human form as Lando Calrissian Cooper, a stand-up comic who has occasionally has to step out of character to vanquish gods like Zeus and the archangel Gabriel gone crazy. He can reset time after winning but that doesn’t help when Bacchus gets him drunk at the meeting with his girl friend’s parents. Not only that but something is coming, something could really destroy him and humanity. The plot ranges from laugh-out-loud silly to serious consideration of ...more
Anneka Gearie
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
An interesting read, many great thinking points at every turn. Once picked up hard to put down. Highly recommend to everyone. A knowledge of the different historical gods is not needed as they are all explained within the context of the story. A full knowledge could possibly be a hindrance in the enjoyment of story flow. Looking forward to more from Michael Boatman.
Ria Bridges
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
What if God was one of us? (Oh come on, you really didn’t see that song title coming with a concept like this? I’m just surprised it didn’t get mentioned in the book itself!) The god of Judeo-Christian-Islamic religion is living a mortal life, as are most of the gods from various pantheons through humanity’s history. Yahweh, in this case, is a black stand-up comedian named Lando, who hails from a tremendously effed-up family. Lando would be pretty content to go through life as a normal guy, with ...more
Samuel Tyler
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
One of the issues with religion is which one is right? Many of them don’t really work if the others are correct. Perhaps they are all right and there are a bunch of Gods and Demigods that walk amongst us. What would an ancient power do in the modern world? I imagine that they would just want to get on with a normal life and every now and again pull off a miracle or two. In Michael Boatman’s ‘Last God Standing’, God is back, but is keeping a low profile as a wannabe stand-up comedian Lando.

God ju
Loki
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm honestly not sure what the writer of this book was going for. There's humour, which is mostly aggressively unfunny, but that could be intended as satire. There's horror, but it usually wimps out on actually carrying through with the promise of it. There's world-building, but done really unevenly. There's fantasy, but not enough originality. In the end, there's just a confused story with too many blanks that need filling in to really work, some egregiously large infodumps that kill the pacing ...more
Frances
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Smartly written. Buddha talking to God... “the power they gave us. They slaughtered millions in our Names, and what did it amount to? iPods in China...”
BUT I can’t finish the book.
I kept wanting to like Lando but for an all great being he didn’t control his alcoholism, messed up the meeting with his future in-laws, disrespected his parents. Showed little empathy. ie The little girl asking why her dad was killed, her mom sick, the good doctor murdered. Lando was pathetic for a human; hard to li
Elizabeth Love
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I saw LAST GOD STANDING by Michael Boatman in my list of Angry Robot announcements, the author’s name didn’t ring a bell. I took in the pitch paragraph and thought it sounded funny. Then I realized who Boatman is in a delayed, “Oh! THAT guy!” moment. I didn’t know that the handsome actor from Spin City, The Good Wife, and Anger Management was an established novelist. To be honest, I only knew him from Spin City and never saw anything else in his long list of acting jobs. I searched further ...more
Mieneke
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, fantasy
Last God Standing was one of my Anticipated Reads for this spring. As I said in that post "...when I read the blurb I immediately wanted to read the book as it seemed like it would be a really fun read. I love Boatman as an actor, he’s got a great sense of timing, which is key to comedic acting, and it’ll be interesting to see whether this translates to his writing." Unfortunately, I was somewhat disappointed with the book. First of all, Last God Standing's blurb doesn't really do it justice; Bo ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
After presiding over humanity for over 2000 years, God has decided to abdicate and live as a human. No, this isn't like when Jesus was born of a virgin; this time his only motive is to simply let humanity get on with it. With Yahweh out of the way, humanity's now lesser deities like Zeus want to step into his shoes and become powerful again. The battle lines are drawn and now God, stuck in the body of Lando Calrissian (yes, that Lando Calrissian from Star Wars) Darnell Cooper has a war on his ha ...more
Shaheen
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4-not-on-shelf
The Last God Standing caught my eye because of its intriguing premise - God tries out life as a mortal (a comedian to boot), but his plans to make it big and impress his girlfriend's father keep getting derailed because older, now defunct Gods are trying to kill him.

Honestly I thought this book would either be absolutely amazing, or absolutely terrible, but really it's neither. The Last God Standing is a good book, certainly entertaining and funny, but it fails to step up and really wow a crowd.
Kristin Taggart
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“When God decides to quit and join the human race to see what all the fuss is about, all Hell breaks loose.

Meanwhile, the newly-humanized deity must discover the whereabouts and intentions of the similarly reincarnated Lucifer, and block the ascension of a murderous new God.

How is he ever going
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: alina

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Alina

Beware of possible Spoilers

Reading this book was definitely an interesting experience. Not that I liked it much, it’s not really my cup of tea, but it did keep me wondering about what comes next. It was also cool to realize that Michael Boatman, the writer, is also Michael Boatman the actor, and to read about the style he writes in, which is called ‘splatterpunk horror’ (Wikipedia).

Well, I must say that it does sort of s
Koeur
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

Publisher: Angry Robot
Publishing Date: February 2014
ISBN: 9780857663962
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4.0/5.0

Publisher Description: When God decides to quit and join the human race to see what all the fuss is about, all Hell breaks loose.

Review: The cover art is hideous. No really, its bad. Shame on Angry Robot.

At the resistance of the author,
Daniel
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, humor
It can be difficult to sustain a sense of humor in a four-hundred page novel, but that's precisely what author Michael Boatman sets out to do in Last God Standing.

The story follows God, who has decided to join the human race ... as a stand-up comic.  A bevy of other, oft forgotten gods, vie for the throne (when they're not too busy partying).  Lucifer has also become mortal, and God -- who now goes by the name Lando Calrissian Darnell Cooper -- has to keep an eye out for any potential surprise a
Monica
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on Avid Reviews:

www.avidfantasyreviews.wordpress.com

Last God Standing is yet another book that I have trouble relegating to one genre. The premise of the novel is what would happen if God took some time off to pursue life as a human. The book is part Urban Fantasy, and part comedy, but I would hesitate to truly classify the book as either.

When God abandons his post as a deity, he plans on getting the real human experience as an average guy. His name is Lando Cooper, a y
Bruce Gargoyle
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received a print copy for review from Angry Robot books - thanks!

Ten Second Synopsis:
Lando Cooper, (aka the God of the Judeo-Christian tradition chiling in a mortal body, attempts to create a successful career in stand up comedy while coming under attack from disgruntled deities from previously hyped religions.

It's actually 3.5 stars from me. It was a 4 for the beginning and the ending, and a 2 for the middle, so I averaged it at a three.
McKenzie Richardson
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads' First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

It was really difficult to decide on a rating for this book, because there was so much going on. Some things I liked and some things I absolutely hated, but overall I think 3 stars is a fair rating.

One of the things this book had going for it was that it had a really unique and interesting story. I loved the variety of religious figures that pop up throughout the book. However as cool as the story wa
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Review: Yahweh, aka the Abrahamic god, has decided he's had enough of being God. Therefore, he quits, joins the Human Race and tries to live life as a stand-up comic. However, with gods of old pantheons trying to take his place, and a now-human Lucifer to deal with, this isn't going to be easy.
I was really looking forwards to this. Multiple pantheons, all the myths, all wrapped up with a big dose of comedy? Right up my street.
It starts off well. The dramatis personae sets up an interesting c pre
BJ Almeda
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
When God would be here on Earth and would just live with us like normal people do, how would that go?!

Last God Standing was one funny and comedic book. It features our main star, Landon Cooper, a stand-up comedian. He is the host body of God in this mortal world. With him, God moves and lives in the human body of Landon since birth. Interesting.

This book did not fail to make me laugh and smile but most of the time, I have loading moments with this read since it is not a light one. I have times w
Sandie
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't quite know what to expect from this novel that my son lent me because he really enjoyed it. The back cover was definitely intriguing: so God leaves heaven and joins the human race only to learn how difficult it is to be mortal... oh, especially since he is sought by other gods who want to make sure he never returns to his place in heaven. OK. That I can see as an interesting concept for a story with the eternal struggle between good and evil on an epic scale. Cool. I get that, but Micha ...more
R.B. Harkess
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was probably one of the oddest books I've ever read, and very nearly got two stars instead of three.
In a nutshell, all the Gods have chosen to retire, leaving everything in the sort-of stewardship of Lucifer and Jahweh - except Jahweh has decided to be come a mortal stand-up comedian - except when he needs to be God.

All a tad confusing.

On the whole the story kept me stuck fairly firmly to the book. There was one passage that got a bit preachy and moral, which did make me briefly consider pu
Rod
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
God or Lando Calrissian Darnell Cooper to use his given name (his father was a big Billy Dee Williams fan) is a fairly likeable everyday sort of chap who you’re happy to root for throughout the book. From page one we start off rather immediately with a reality shifting battle between the now mortal (by his own choosing) Yahweh (Lando) and Zeus. For this battle Lando uses cunning, smart putdowns and dirty tricks to defeat Zeus, but the problem is once the battle is over the book chooses to stay a ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I almost stopped reading several times. Fairly derivative and hard to care about the protagonist in the first half. ..or ever.
Some interesting concepts, all to the idea that humans have (almost) outgrown their need for gods.
girl talking to a god: "you tell me that toy are real, but also that you were never what we believed you to be. ..that we have looked too long in the wrong direction. "
Unlike American God's, which is deities fighting for that last of human belief, the idea here is that huma
Joshua
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Last God standing is a new addition to the world of Urban Fiction. The premise being that all the gods of various pantheons have forged an agreement with the god of the biblical Old Testament and given up their godly powers. Yahweh has taken on the embodiment of a young African-American male with the unlikely name of Lando Cooper, a stand up comedian in Chicago, who merely wants to marry his girlfriend. When some of the other gods begin trying to kill him, Lando suspects that something bigger ma ...more
Ryan
Apr 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Ryan by: won a free copy
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I was going to give it 3-stars but according to Goodreads star rating, 3-stars means I liked it. In fact I couldn't really get very far into it. I wanted to give it 3-stars because there's probably people out there that would really enjoy this, but I couldn't because I couldn't bring myself to say I liked it, especially since I couldn't even read half of it.

For me, it tried too hard to be clever. I expected cleverness, but the lengths it went to to be clever were irritating. Since I was irritate

• Lock In (Lock In, #1)
  • The Lightkeepers
  • The Man of Legends
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • Drowned Country (The Greenhollow Duology, #2)
  • The Terror
  • Giant Thief
  • Black Dog (Black Dog, #1)
  • The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare, #1)
  • Generation V (Generation V, #1)
  • John Golden: Freelance Debugger
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Changes (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #3)
  • Bastion (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #5)
  • Redoubt (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #4)
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)