Start by marking “Last God Standing” as Want to Read:
Last God Standing

Last God Standing

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  50 reviews

Sensing his abdication, the other defunct gods of Earth’s vanquished pantheons want a piece of the action He abandoned.

Meanwhile, the newly-humanised deity must discover the whereabouts and intentions of the similarly reincarnated Lucifer, and block the ascension of a
Published March 25th 2014 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Last God Standing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last God Standing

Dan Schwent
When God goes on sabbatical and becomes a human, the resulting power vacuum causes chaos among the obsolete gods, leading to a series of god killings. Meanwhile, God grows up to be Lando Cooper, an aspiring comedian who works for his father. Can Lando figure out who is making the power grab without forsaking his mortal life?

I got this from the fine folks at Angry Robot via Netgalley.

So it seems Michael Boatman of Arl$$ and Spin City fame is also a writer and a pretty funny one at that. Once I kn
Matthew Gill
Alright, for the record I REALLY wanted to like this book. The concept was a sound selling point that tempted me with the promise of an enjoyable ride. The idea of God abdicating his throne and having to contend with all the defunct deities of earth rushing to replace him was delightful. Even the witty banter and personification of some of the various characters was worthy of praise.

But alas. now I must get to the painful portion of my review. The undeniably and unbearable lack of some simple st
Kdawg91
Ok, I liked this..alot. It's funny, I am a mythology buff, so the premise sold me immediately. I used to watch the author on Spin City back in the dark ages of mankind when you had to watch stuff on the TELEVISION, so not only was I interested when I heard about this, what am I saying? I am a book freak, there are very few books I am NOT interested in.

The story came across to me as if Mr. Boatman intended on this to be a script, now I know he didn't, but it reads like one. The dialogue is natura
Linh
2,5/5. Nửa đầu còn hay chứ nửa sau là một mớ thảm họa.

Tóm tắt nội dung: God buồn đời nên bỏ ngai xuống trần gian đầu thai làm con người (nhân tiện đi một mình có hơi cô đơn nên kéo Buddha theo)xem có cảm giác đặc biệt mới mẻ gì không, cấm đám thiên thần đi theo. Và dĩ nhiên đầu sỏ đã đi thì chả mấy chốc thiên hạ đại loạn khiến lũ con trên trển buộc phải đi tìm ổng lại, đã vậy thần thánh của mấy tôn giáo khác kiểu như Zeus lâu lâu gây chuyện chơi nữa chớ...

Điểm tốt: Mới đầu truyện khá hài hước, t
Tim Hicks
All the gods the author can think of: check.
Protagonist is a nebbish who exists so things can happen to him: check.
His girlfriend is nice but he's going to screw it up at EVERY opportunity: check.
I've read this book before!
No, I haven't, but it just feels like it.

In a book written by a comedian, the comedy-performance parts don't work. And I must have missed why it was necessary, or why it made sense, or why it's what a former deity would do.

The plot can't decide if it's going to be a Carl
Henry Lazarus
Michael Boatman tells of how Jehovah is in human form as Lando Calrissian Cooper, a stand-up comic who has occasionally has to step out of character to vanquish gods like Zeus and the archangel Gabriel gone crazy. He can reset time after winning but that doesn’t help when Bacchus gets him drunk at the meeting with his girl friend’s parents. Not only that but something is coming, something could really destroy him and humanity. The plot ranges from laugh-out-loud silly to serious consideration of ...more
BJ  Almeda
When God would be here on Earth and would just live with us like normal people do, how would that go?!

Last God Standing was one funny and comedic book. It features our main star, Landon Cooper, a stand-up comedian. He is the host body of God in this mortal world. With him, God moves and lives in the human body of Landon since birth. Interesting.

This book did not fail to make me laugh and smile but most of the time, I have loading moments with this read since it is not a light one. I have times w
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Alina

Beware of possible Spoilers

Reading this book was definitely an interesting experience. Not that I liked it much, it’s not really my cup of tea, but it did keep me wondering about what comes next. It was also cool to realize that Michael Boatman, the writer, is also Michael Boatman the actor, and to read about the style he writes in, which is called ‘splatterpunk horror’ (Wikipedia).

Well, I must say that it does sort of s
Fangs for the Fantasy
After presiding over humanity for over 2000 years, God has decided to abdicate and live as a human. No, this isn't like when Jesus was born of a virgin; this time his only motive is to simply let humanity get on with it. With Yahweh out of the way, humanity's now lesser deities like Zeus want to step into his shoes and become powerful again. The battle lines are drawn and now God, stuck in the body of Lando Calrissian (yes, that Lando Calrissian from Star Wars) Darnell Cooper has a war on his ha ...more
Kristin Taggart
I don't use star ratings, so please read my review!

(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“When God decides to quit and join the human race to see what all the fuss is about, all Hell breaks loose.

Meanwhile, the newly-humanized deity must discover the whereabouts and intentions of the similarly reincarnated Lucifer, and block the ascension of a murderous new God.

How is he ever g
Elizabeth Amber Love
When I saw LAST GOD STANDING by Michael Boatman in my list of Angry Robot announcements, the author’s name didn’t ring a bell. I took in the pitch paragraph and thought it sounded funny. Then I realized who Boatman is in a delayed, “Oh! THAT guy!” moment. I didn’t know that the handsome actor from Spin City, The Good Wife, and Anger Management was an established novelist. To be honest, I only knew him from Spin City and never saw anything else in his long list of acting jobs. I searched further ...more
Koeur

Publisher: Angry Robot
Publishing Date: February 2014
ISBN: 9780857663962
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4.0/5.0

Publisher Description: When God decides to quit and join the human race to see what all the fuss is about, all Hell breaks loose.

Review: The cover art is hideous. No really, its bad. Shame on Angry Robot.

At the resistance of the author,
Mieneke
Last God Standing was one of my Anticipated Reads for this spring. As I said in that post "...when I read the blurb I immediately wanted to read the book as it seemed like it would be a really fun read. I love Boatman as an actor, he’s got a great sense of timing, which is key to comedic acting, and it’ll be interesting to see whether this translates to his writing." Unfortunately, I was somewhat disappointed with the book. First of all, Last God Standing's blurb doesn't really do it justice; Bo ...more
Daniel
It can be difficult to sustain a sense of humor in a four-hundred page novel, but that's precisely what author Michael Boatman sets out to do in Last God Standing.

The story follows God, who has decided to join the human race ... as a stand-up comic. A bevy of other, oft forgotten gods, vie for the throne (when they're not too busy partying). Lucifer has also become mortal, and God -- who now goes by the name Lando Calrissian Darnell Cooper -- has to keep an eye out for any potential surprise att
Monica
Review originally posted on Avid Reviews:

www.avidfantasyreviews.wordpress.com

Last God Standing is yet another book that I have trouble relegating to one genre. The premise of the novel is what would happen if God took some time off to pursue life as a human. The book is part Urban Fantasy, and part comedy, but I would hesitate to truly classify the book as either.

When God abandons his post as a deity, he plans on getting the real human experience as an average guy. His name is Lando Cooper, a y
Rod Bell
God or Lando Calrissian Darnell Cooper to use his given name (his father was a big Billy Dee Williams fan) is a fairly likeable everyday sort of chap who you’re happy to root for throughout the book. From page one we start off rather immediately with a reality shifting battle between the now mortal (by his own choosing) Yahweh (Lando) and Zeus. For this battle Lando uses cunning, smart putdowns and dirty tricks to defeat Zeus, but the problem is once the battle is over the book chooses to stay a ...more
R.B. Harkess
This was probably one of the oddest books I've ever read, and very nearly got two stars instead of three.
In a nutshell, all the Gods have chosen to retire, leaving everything in the sort-of stewardship of Lucifer and Jahweh - except Jahweh has decided to be come a mortal stand-up comedian - except when he needs to be God.

All a tad confusing.

On the whole the story kept me stuck fairly firmly to the book. There was one passage that got a bit preachy and moral, which did make me briefly consider pu
Elizabeth
I almost stopped reading several times. Fairly derivative and hard to care about the protagonist in the first half. ..or ever.
Some interesting concepts, all to the idea that humans have (almost) outgrown their need for gods.
girl talking to a god: "you tell me that toy are real, but also that you were never what we believed you to be. ..that we have looked too long in the wrong direction. "
Unlike American God's, which is deities fighting for that last of human belief, the idea here is that huma
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received a print copy for review from Angry Robot books - thanks!

Ten Second Synopsis:
Lando Cooper, (aka the God of the Judeo-Christian tradition chiling in a mortal body, attempts to create a successful career in stand up comedy while coming under attack from disgruntled deities from previously hyped religions.

It's actually 3.5 stars from me. It was a 4 for the beginning and the ending, and a 2 for the middle, so I averaged it at a three.
Erik Smith
Stop me if you've heard this one...
So, this actor, Michael Boatman, decided to become a writer. He wrote some short stories and a novel, Revenant Road. He continued acting, because, c'mon, if you ain't Stephen King, you ain't making the big bucks, am I right?
Anyway, this Boatman guy decided to write a second novel. Yeah, what was he thinking, right? Well, apparently, he was thinking he would write a funny, profound look at religion and the human condition.
What he came up with was Last God Standi
McKenzie Richardson
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads' First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

It was really difficult to decide on a rating for this book, because there was so much going on. Some things I liked and some things I absolutely hated, but overall I think 3 stars is a fair rating.

One of the things this book had going for it was that it had a really unique and interesting story. I loved the variety of religious figures that pop up throughout the book. However as cool as the story wa
Marissa van Uden
–I received an ARC of this novel from Angry Robots in exchange for an honest review–

I’m fascinated by religions and love stand-up comedy as an art form, so right away the premise of Last God Standing captured my attention: God decides to give up his eternal life and power and live as a mortal stand-up comic. Yeah! I hoped for a story that would play with how an ex-all-knowing deity would cope with becoming mortal and having to get up on a stage, bare his soul, and connect with an audience of mo
Shaheen
The Last God Standing caught my eye because of its intriguing premise - God tries out life as a mortal (a comedian to boot), but his plans to make it big and impress his girlfriend's father keep getting derailed because older, now defunct Gods are trying to kill him.

Honestly I thought this book would either be absolutely amazing, or absolutely terrible, but really it's neither. The Last God Standing is a good book, certainly entertaining and funny, but it fails to step up and really wow a crowd.
Nina at Death Books and Tea
Review: Yahweh, aka the Abrahamic god, has decided he's had enough of being God. Therefore, he quits, joins the Human Race and tries to live life as a stand-up comic. However, with gods of old pantheons trying to take his place, and a now-human Lucifer to deal with, this isn't going to be easy.
I was really looking forwards to this. Multiple pantheons, all the myths, all wrapped up with a big dose of comedy? Right up my street.
It starts off well. The dramatis personae sets up an interesting c pre
Bibliotropic
(Full review here: http://bibliotropic.net/2014/03/25/la...)

Last God Standing played with some very interesting concepts and ideas and was nicely thought-provoking at times, but it was sporadic and uneven, and that was the novel’s real downfall. It had some great visual promise, the kind of thing that would actually make for a great film, but the presentation as a novel didn’t do the trick for me, and in spite of the promise that it held I didn’t enjoy it as much as I’d hoped. Worth a read, and
Anneka Gearie
An interesting read, many great thinking points at every turn. Once picked up hard to put down. Highly recommend to everyone. A knowledge of the different historical gods is not needed as they are all explained within the context of the story. A full knowledge could possibly be a hindrance in the enjoyment of story flow. Looking forward to more from Michael Boatman.
Mike
I note that I gave this 4 stars on the day I finished it, but looking back, I wonder why. I enjoyed the book and that's really all there is to say. It's a funny fantasy about Yahweh becoming mortal, living as a struggling African-American comedian. However, he's not completely mortal, so the plot is pretty contrived and confounding. Still, it's pretty funny and entertaining, if you like this genre.
Lain
I like the basic idea, but sometimes it seems more like an idea for a tv show, not a novel. Storyline is too weak, characters are not convincing, language was not to my personal taste. Potential wasted. I know it sounds harsh, but I was really hoping for more.
Emily
When god gives up his divinity to live as a human stand up comedian he inadvertently starts a war, including a veritable who's who of gods, devils, demons and angels vying for his top spot and followers. Anyone could be the protagonist in the shadows leading to an ending which is both surprising and satisfying. Last God Standing has one of the most side splitting, hysterically funny drunken restaurant scenes ever written. Loved it.
Analouise Keating
An enjoyable, extremely amusing novel with a solid conclusion. I appreciated very diverse mythic elements, the humor, and the social critique. I also enjoyed the ways Boatman redeemed Yahweh.
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects
  • The Shadow Master
  • No Hero (Arthur Wallace, #1)
  • The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster
  • Master of Formalities
  • Two Serpents Rise (Craft Sequence #2)
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • Hang Wire
  • Heartwood (Elemental Wars, #1)
  • The End of the Sentence
  • The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #1)
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • Model Position (Art of Love #1)
  • The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath (The Peculiar Adventures of John Loveheart, Esq. #1)
  • Broken Branch Falls
  • She Returns From War
The Revenant Road God Laughs When You Die The Red Wake Her Daughter In Darkness THE RED WAKE