Start by marking “Devolution” as Want to Read:
Devolution

Devolution

DEVOLUTION by Peter Clenott

What does it truly mean to be ‘Human’?

... Chiku Flynn wasn’t raised to be human. Born in the Congolese rainforest, she spends her first eleven years as part of an experiment. For her, the aboriginal—the primitive—is ‘normal.’

Just after her eleventh birthday, Chiku witnesses the horrifying death of her mother, and her father sends her ‘home’ to t
Published August 3rd 2013 by Imajin Books (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Devolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devolution

Dave
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Action rules in Peter Clenott's Devolution, the story of a teenage girl raised by chimpanzees. The book is peopled by interesting characters and plays out against a well-described setting, but it depends on a rising crescendo of fist fights, gun battles, and ferocious attacks by wild animals (and humans) to propel the reader through the story.

As entertaining as the mayhem might be (and it is entertaining), it actually serves to underscore the theme of the book, which is how thin the line really
Gmr
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adult and adult readers
Recommended to Gmr by: Peter Clenott
If I had to sum it up quickly, it’s a little bit Planet of the Apes, with a dash of Laura Croft Tomb Raider, and a smidge of Tarzan. It’s fascinating and wild and there’s so much drama playing out you almost don’t know where to look at what time. Luckily, the author reins in your attention and refocuses the game.

Chiku is an amazing, frustrating, smart mouth, free spirit if there ever was one with a troubled past unknown even to her (for now). She has friends in both furry and non form that woul
T.
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta-prize
I won this book in a giveaway. I really liked the blurb, and was looking forward to reading this book, but there is something fairly disturbing (intended, I'm sure) about the cover of this book, that almost had me skipping it for something a bit more frivolous. Recognizing how silly it was to judge a book by it's cover, I put on my big girl panties and honored it's place on my TBR.

OMG! What a great book. The character development is superb, and the reader is immediately drawn in to the book. Th
Judith Nasse
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Devolution is a most fascinating read, exciting and informative an only author Peter Clenott can convey. Chiku Flynn is a sixteen year old rebellious teen who harbors deep trauma and grief, some buried so deeply that all she can do is right wrongs or execute crazy, dangerous stunts, including dashing into danger. She was born in the Congo and virtually raised by the chimpanzees her parents were studying. She learns that her father is missing, perhaps dead. She goes to Africa and with the help of ...more
Victoria Brinius
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book for anyone that has thought about about evolution. I found this really interesting because if we come from monkeys/chimps then we could live together. This was different then other books that I have read because the human is raised in the wild, and then brought to live with humans in the states. I enjoyed reading about the Congo and the Rainforest. Add in a defiant teenager that needs to save everyone, and I thought this was a really good book. There was also some ro ...more
Dawn Baca
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Devolution is a fast paced intriguing story about a young girl who doubts her personal worth to the point of self destruction. It immerses you into a teenagers dysfunctional social life in a modern typical environment, then takes all that you think you know about her and turns it on its ear when it dumps her into a battle torn nightmare in the African Congo.

This self absorbed teenager is suddenly transformed into a self less fighter for those that can't fight for themselves.
This book was an exci
Diane
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent! I couldn't help thinking here were shades of Tarzan manifested in the story, but that is meant as a compliment. The author Peter Clenott has written a highly entertaining story with a great plot that leaves the reader plenty to think about. One of my favourite reads in a long time.
Annastew1144hotmail.com
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Devolution was advertised as a YA novel but I think it has much wider appeal. There is a lot of action and some quite graphic , but I also think there is a really strong message in this book about greed and meddling with he natural order of things.
Jo-Anne Vandermeulen
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gripping YA to Adult Thriller Readers—Compelling Throughout!
Dixit Baiju
Jul 22, 2014
Roni O'Connell
Dec 05, 2013
Teresa
rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2016