Start by marking “Wakeworld (The Between, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wakeworld (The Between, #2)

Read Excerpt

Wakeworld (The Between #2)

Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 28th 2014 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Wakeworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wakeworld

Anya
Jan 10, 2014 Anya rated it really liked it
There will be a giveaway for Wakeworld on my blog starting Feb. 6th, 2014!
On Starships and Dragonwings Button

Wakeworld by Kerry Schafer is the second book in the Between series, a fresh urban fantasy series bringing in some fun high fantasy elements and dream magic. Wakeworld features a lot of character development for Vivian, which I really appreciated, along with lots more world-building and an ending that will leave you dying for book three! There will be spoilers for book one, so feel free to check out my review of Between i
Denise
Jan 09, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Wakeworld is the second book in this series and not having read book one, jumping into Wakeworld was not a difficult leap, although it is obvious there are major world building events and introductions to the character profiles that are missed. Even with this, the story is beautifully written and the characters come alive making this reader want to know more about the Dreamworld, the Between, and penguin guardians. Yes, you read that right penguin guardian or familiar whatever he really is.

Ther
Jennifer  (Books That Hook)
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

Kerry Schafer goes in my top ten list of urban fantasy authors. I loved Wakeworld, probably more than the first book Between.

Wakeworld continues with Vivian’s story. She is part sorceress, part human, and part dragon. More importantly, she believes herself to be the last of the Dreamshifters. In this story
Kristin Taggart
(Description nicked from B&N.com.)

“Vivian Maylor is trying to hold it together. But her attempts to build a life with the man she loves seem doomed by the dragon inside her yearning to break free. Vivian is a dreamshifter, the last line of defense between reality and the dreamworld, and the only one of her kind.

Weston Jennings also believes he is the only one of his kind. He fears his powers as a dreamshifter, and resists learning to control them. After suffering a tragic loss, Weston heads
Michelle Willms
Jan 26, 2014 Michelle Willms rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, erotica
REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW
Wakeworld by Kerry Schafer
Vivian is the last Dream Shifter. This wasn’t the career path she’d chosen for herself. After growing up fearing the dream world, with an insane mother teaching her about the various worlds of dreaming, she wanted no part of it. However she still knew all about the dream worlds: first was the Between, that moment of semi-lucidity right before falling into a deep sleep or right before awaking. She’d also taught Vivian about Wakeworld, the world people
Crystal (Kris)
Wakeworld is a beautifully written story with a unique concept. I love a good fantasy with a world (or worlds in this case) that is well crafted and believable, and I very much like the concept of having the dreamworld, the between, and the wakeworld (of our current reality). As a constant day dreamer, I am particularly fond of the idea of a dreamworld and of dreamshifters. The dragons, sorcerers, and penguin guardians just make it better.

The characters are interesting and well-developed. They w
Michelle Leah Olson
Sep 20, 2013 Michelle Leah Olson rated it really liked it
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Chelle
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

I said in my review of Between, book #1 of the series, that this was an Urban Fantasy unlike anything I had experienced before, and one that I wanted to get lost in again. When I got word that Wakeworld was available, I was excited to dive in.

Wakeworld picks up right where Between left off, but I think if you were coming into this book as a first time reader you could catch on easily
Tabitha (Pabkins)
3.5 actually...

Things are off full tilt boogy in Wakeworld the second installment of the series Between, featuring a dreamworlds, our waking world. There are new fantasy races introduced that we didn’t see in the first book as well as a new antagonist.

I had to admit I was wondering how or who the heroine would go up against this time. It’s usually one of my main questions that wrack my brain if I find it might not be the same villain as a previous book. I was definitely much more impressed this
Robin Priddy
Mar 04, 2014 Robin Priddy rated it really liked it
This is the second installment of Kerry Schafer's The Between series. This author brings us an Urban Fantasy that is different from the other ones out there. This books picks up where the first one left off. Ms. Schafer's characters and the world she has created for them make a great story. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Vivian Maylor is not only a Dreamshifter but also part dragon and part sorceress. She is the only one of her kind who is a mix of the three. She believes that she is the
Carien
Dec 17, 2013 Carien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf, fantasy
I loved Between, the first book in this series, and preordered Wakeworld as soon as it was possible. Still it took me a while to find the time to pick it up.

I'm very glad I finally found that time though, because this is yet another winner.

Schafer doesn't make it easy for her characters. They have to struggle and fight to get where they're trying to go. I felt for Vivian, and even more for Zee (Vivian's love interest). They get challenges thrown their way that could easily break them. Still they
Stacy
Sep 11, 2013 Stacy rated it it was ok
WAKEWORLD is the second book in the Between series. I was kind of surprised to see it as I felt that BETWEEN ended pretty nicely and that it could have passed as a standalone. I did find BETWEEN to have an interesting world so I thought I would go ahead and give it a try.

I liked that Vivian came across as a stronger character in WAKEWORLD. She just seemed to carry herself better and believes in herself more. The relationship between Vivian and Zee seemed forced and awkward to me. There was never
Lenora Good
Aug 17, 2015 Lenora Good rated it it was amazing
It's been a couple of years since I read Between (my review is here) and when I saw the next two books, Wakeworld and The Nothing, I had to buy and read them. I was not disappointed.

I had forgotten Poe, the penguin, and was delighted to find he plays a major supporting role in Wakeworld. New characters are introduced in this book, Weston and his sister, Grace, both of whom play pivotal roles. Weston is a Dreamshifter who has fought it all his life, to great pain and loss.

Weston and Vivian so not
Sharon Hughson
May 08, 2015 Sharon Hughson rated it it was amazing
I gives this book a solid 4.5 out of five stars because it kept me reading from page one.
The things I didn't like about the first book were gone from this book. As in - not a single word of profanity. Thank you (as if the author did this for me since the book was written before I reviewed book one in the series).
It doesn't get five stars from me because it is a typical middle book of a trilogy - all about moving the main story forward without having it's own big problem. Is there a story proble
Noortje de Graaff
Dec 29, 2013 Noortje de Graaff rated it it was amazing
I might even like Wakeworld better than the prequel, Between. Now that most of the rules of Wakeworld, Dreamworld and Between were already established in book one, there was room for us to learn a little more about the history of the worlds. I especially loved the mystery element in this book, when Vivian tried to figure out whether there was another dreamshifter still alive and where he could be.

Most of the characters were fleshed out further, especially since the book has multiple points of v
Susan Spann
Jan 29, 2014 Susan Spann rated it it was amazing
I loved this sequel to BETWEEN. All the elements I loved from the first book (protagonist Vivian Maylor, her penguin sidekick, Poe, and the sexy artist/warlord, Zee) returned, and Schafer also introduced a second dream shifter, Weston Jennings, deepening the reader's understanding of dream shifters and their history. I love it when a series delves more deeply into the world and its history as the series progresses, and this second novel in the BETWEEN series doesn't disappoint -- either in that, ...more
Kimi Court
Jan 27, 2014 Kimi Court rated it liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads for my sister. I felt since I won it I should read it and give my review. This is not the style of books I read, with that said, I liked the book. You don't have to read the first book to understand the second. There are a few things that the first book would have helped with but it doesn't detour from the book. It had a balance of fighting and romance. I do like my fighting weather it be romance bickering or actual fighting. The book k ...more
Oct 22, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
It took me a long time to read this book, not because I didn't like it, but because life had me so hectic that I didn't get a chance to read at all. If I would've had more free time I would have devoured this book in days instead of months. I love the unique storyline that Kerry creates, as well as the characters that you don't expect. (I am 100% Team Poe) Vivian is a strong character who I feel like I can relate to. I highly recommend this series if you love high fantasy.
Samantha
Apr 05, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
"While Vivian struggles to connect with her love and Warrior, Zee, the dragon inside her fights to be unleashed. To make matters worse, a new enemy is on the rise-a sorceress whose goal seems to be to find the Warrior. When Zee and Vivian gets separated in the Dreamworld, Vivian must hunt down someone she never thought existed- another Dreamshifter." Full review at Fresh Fiction: http://freshfiction.com/review.php?id...
B.E.
Jan 10, 2014 B.E. rated it it was amazing
OMG, this book totally rocked. I can't believe I waited this long to read it. I loved Vivian and Zee and Weston and Poe and... Well, rather than sit here and gush, I'll just tell you to go pick up a copy. Actually, if you haven't read Between, get that and read it, THEN read this. THEN go get a copy of The Nothing. Mine's waiting on my Kindle. Woohoo!
Page Wench
>This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.<

Waving the white flag on this one. Started it 9 months ago and just could not bring myself to read the last 100 pages. I'm not going to rate it, just state that it didn't pull me in at all and is probably better suited for readers whose tastes don't run darker and grittier.
Charlotte Chavous
Jan 16, 2014 Charlotte Chavous rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a First Reads contest for an honest review.
Please see the full review at www.bookreviewbycharlotte.blogspot.com

This is the second book in the BETWEEN series. Miss Schaffer weaves a world full of dreams, dragons, and suspense.
I enjoyed this story, but do not find myself reading the first book or going out of my way to read the next book.
Nicole Luiken
Jul 18, 2016 Nicole Luiken rated it really liked it
Shelves: sfantasy
Since it has been so long since I read book one (Between) it took me the first quarter of the book to reconnect with the characters and remember what happened previously. Good pacing, short chapters and a strong middle pulled me forward. I will be on the hunt for book three.
David Hunt
Jun 03, 2014 David Hunt rated it really liked it
Finished reading Wakeworld. What can I say other than I eagerly await returning through the dark gates with Vivian et al.
Lynn
Oct 06, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
NOBODY IS WHAT THEY SEEM.. THAT IS ALL I WILL SAY .. OH 1 MORE THING...... CAN WE SAY CLIFF HANGER?!!!!!!! WONDERFUL
Shelley
Aug 18, 2013 Shelley rated it really liked it
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Full Thoughts Shortly*

Expected publication: January 28th 2014 by Ace
Suz
Aug 24, 2014 Suz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfinished, just stops, cliff hanger, frustration.

I'm done with this for good.
Faelan
Faelan rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2014
Misti Ruddell
Misti Ruddell rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
April
April rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Janna King
Janna King rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
wakeworld 3 8 Feb 24, 2014 04:12PM
  • Blood of the Exiled (Witch Fairy, #10)
  • The White Rabbit Chronicles: Alice in Zombieland / Through the Zombie Glass / The Queen of Zombie Hearts (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Quick Fix (Ciel Halligan, #2)
  • The Causal Enchantment Series (Causal Enchantment #1-4)
  • Renegade Dragon (Dragon Heat, #4)
  • First Kiss
  • Reaper (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Sailor Moon Box Set 1 (Vol. 1-6)
  • Blood Warrior (Dragon Kings, #2)
  • The Last Vampire (A Short Story)
  • Seal Of Awakening (Seven Seals, #3)
  • Betraying Ever After
  • Knight Games Box Set  (Kinght Games, #1-4)
  • Mercury Retrograde (Dark Alchemy, #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Hounds of Artemis
  • Hell On Heels
  • Dark Geist
Kerry Schafer writes fantasy with its teeth sunk into reality, mystery that delves into the paranormal, and, as Kerry Anne King, women’s fiction that embraces the dark and twisty realms of humanity. She lives in a little house in the big woods and spins her tales early in the mornings, fueled by massive amounts of coffee.
More about Kerry Schafer...

The Between (3 books)
  • Between (The Between, #1)
  • The Nothing (The Between, #3)