Start by marking “Merry Gentlemen” as Want to Read:

Merry Gentlemen

’Tis the season of goodwill to all men…even the one who dumped you.

Riley MacDermott’s ambitions are simple. Managing the annual Bath Christmas Market—which involves long hours in the cold and a whole lot of hassle—will secure the promotion he needs to afford to move out of his noisy, top-floor flat. Where not even his balcony is safe from an aggressive herring gull.

The las
Published November 12th 2013 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Merry Gentlemen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Gentlemen

Ingie
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
3,8 Cozy Stars - fun and sweet about a second chance, a singing gay Santa and a Christmas market

I read and was both impressed and enchanted by the fun and cheeky story in Screwing the System by the author Josephine Myles earlier in the week. Another novel by her and also a winter / holiday story in Bath (U.K.) with a second chance topic, sounded like a good idea as my next reading. And it was! Yet a very pleasant and amusing M/M romance.

photo smilie011_zpsde24574e.gif  photo smilie011_zpsde24574e.gif  photo smilie011_zpsde24574e.gif  photo smilie011_zpsde24574e.gif

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.75*

I liked this one. Riley is a character, he's funny and inventive and entertaining to read about.
I mean, anyone who gets sexy undies as an office gift every year and models them for the whole office, is alright in my book.
Stan, yes, I get him, he knew what he needed to be happy and all, but maybe a peek into his POV would have helped me, I never quite got over the feeling that he didn't really compromise as much. I didn't see what happened 5 years ago, but I really would have liked him sit
Josephine Myles
Aug 03, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I finally did it. I wrote a Christmas novella!

The seed of the idea for Merry Gentlemen revolves around hearing tales of urban gulls who have persecuted certain people, and from my own unpleasantly icky encounter with a large herring gull in the centre of Bath. Narrator Riley foolishly makes an enemy of bird on the same day he runs into his ex, Stan.

This is a lighthearted tale of old flames reunited, and it's set in Bath where I lived for many years. There's something utterly magical about the Ba
Sunny
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up

A wonderful story about second chances, with beautiful characters who'll stay with you long after you've finished reading about them.

My first thoughts of Riley were,
"Oh, no, is he going to be one of those high maintenance, high drama people?" Long, run on sentences of rambling stream of consciousness seemed to show a self absorbed, not very likeable person. But my worries came to naught.
Riley could be exhausting, and a bit misguided, but he was also sweet, and so very funny
Susan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it

I like Josephine Myles’ style. She writes quirky, imperfect, silly, frustrating, lovable characters. And gets them shat on. And then gets them a HEA.

And there you have Merry Gentlemen.

Oh Riley. I could feel your broken heart. But I could also stand back and scream at your stubbornness. I could feel your love for Stan. But I could also stand back and laugh when the gull had it’s way with you. I could feel your need to find your way. But I could also stand back and say “I told you so” when your wa
Ann
I’m a big fan of Josephine Myles. I’m a big fan of Christmas. It would stand to reason that I should like this book. I did not like this book. I LOVED this book.

My absolute favorite thing about Jo Myles’s books are her characters and these two MC’s are no exception. Honestly, Riley is hilarious. I love his slightly entitled attitude. Especially for the fact he doesn’t really know what he’s entitled to or why, he just knows he should have more than he does. When tasked with ridding his balcony o
Ami
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up Merry Gentlemen for one reason: Shirley Frances said in her review that this story was about "the one who got away". What can I say, I LOVE this theme. I love stories about ex-es and how they find a way back to one another, especially if the love is still palpable. Truthfully, Jo Myles's stories range from 2.5 - 4 stars for me, so I could say that she is a hit or miss.

This one though... was a hit.

From the moment that Riley appeared, I immediately found him likeable and entertaining
Heller
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
4.75

I don't think I've ever rooted for a pair of men to make their relationship work as hard as I did for Riley and Stan. This has it all. Humour, hardcore sex-ing and some killer angst. I loved it.
Mark
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, before we start. Altogether now.....you know the tune.....1..2..3...

Jingle bells,
Stan should tell,
"Riley kiss me now!"
A seagull on the balcony,
And a Christmas market row.

Jingle bells,
Riley yells,
"Please Stan all the way!"
Oh what fun it is to be,
In Bath on Christmas Day!

OK, now for the serious business of reviewing, but really? After such a joyful, lighthearted, wonderfully witty read, this is exactly the thing I need to put me in the Christmas spirit. What I love about Jo's books are the c
Sheri
Second chances.
Are you a believer? I am. My life would be very different if I wasn’t. Actually, I believe everyone deserves a second chance.
Third chance? Not a hope in hell, but I’ll freely give seconds.
The thing about second chances is you gotta work for it, you gotta mean it, and you gotta prove it.
This can be a glorious thing to witness; for Riley and Stan it was, and I appreciated the journey getting there.
Breaking up is hard to do...

Riley is adorable, amusing, and an absolute idiot.
Fo
Sara
A Christmas book that is not really about Christmas but takes place during the Christmas season that is full of witty one liners, sexy sheds, Santa Claus suits, hot men who live in the woods, camp ABBA singing and revenge seeking poop bombing seagulls? Oh yeah, that should get you ready for the wild, hilarious ride that Josephine Myles takes you down with Merry Gentlemen.
Good things can get snatched away from you without a moment’s notice, and the sooner you learn that, the better. And now her
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Not too angsty! Not too sweet! Two hot boys and a grumpy seagull at Christmas time in Bath...what's not to like?

I thought perhaps Riley's epiphany regarding his job vs. Stan came too easily, but I was still very happy to get a real HEA for these two, because they clearly belonged together.
Anke
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Love Riley:) and great writing. Ms. Myles managed to pull the reader into the British setting with only a few words - awesome.

The seagull - priceless:) Riley's development throughout the story was wonderful. I would have loved to read Stan's POV, but we only saw him through Riley, so for me he remained a bit aloof, nevertheless I liked him very much as well. Realizing what he wanted from life and then changing his old life accordingly, even if it meant to leave his love behind *sigh*
Bev
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing

5 stars from me for this heartwarming Christmas read, full of British humour, sayings and slang. I loved it

This story is set in the wonderful World Heritage site City of Aquae Sulis, or Bath as it is known today....

Royal Crescent.....  photo MerryGentlemenbyJoMyles-Batharchitecture_zps116b6d0c.jpg
Pulteney Bridge......  photo MerryGentlemenbyJoMyles-PulteneyBridge_zpsb7f5c059.jpg
AND of course the famous Roman Baths which feature quite prominently in this story......  photo MerryGentlemenbyJoMyles-RomanBaths_zps2d64274e.jpg

The story revolves around Riley and Stan, and strangely enough, neither of them are British, Riley or Ri as he's known is Irish and Stan (Stanislav
Irina
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it

Light, funny and Christmasy feel-good book.

The story of figuring out what's important in life, of sacrificing and compromising.

I especially enjoyed it being located in Bath, where I'm familiar with the layout, main squares, and streets quite well. This has warmed me to the story and made it much more fun.

It was exactly what I needed.

***3.7 stars***

Thank you, Sofia, for reading it with me, and Ingela, for suggesting it :)

Vanessa North
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just love Josephine Myles' writing. I love her voice, I love her awkward and endearing characters. I love the way they get down and dirty with a sort of quiet vulnerability.

Merry Gentlemen is everything I admire about Josephine Myles writing. It's sweet and it's sexy and it's about people being vulnerable to each other in very real, human ways, with real conflict and real consequences to their actions.

I loved this book. I loved Riley's enthusiasm for his work and his coworkers. I loved Stan's
Apolishedreader

I enjoyed this quick, holiday read and it would make a great addition to your holiday story line up.

These two are filled with miscommunication and noncommunication. They have known each other for so long that they are both presumptuous in what the other is thinking and hesitant to ask for sure. So, when Riley and Stan reconnect over a holiday, Riley knows it is just for a holiday fling and not a second chance at a life with his one true love. There have just been too many years between
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it

Sadly, my holiday reads always seem to get gipped. I can never find the time to review during the holiday rush and panic. I don’t want to leave a glowing, white blank page though, so here’s a few words for these Merry Gentlemen.

I loved the setting. The city came to life in smells, lights, and language. Nothing better than a city dressed up for the holidays.

I didn’t like the seagull bit. *shrugs* I just didn’t see the humor or connection.

Both Stan and Riley made me smile. Riley’s voice especiall
Ele
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars*

First of all let me tell you that if you think that Riley is overreacting about the seagull, you 're WRONG! Urban gulls are evil, sneaky bastards. I have evidence.

This is a low-angst second chance, Christmas story. Sweet, sexy, funny and authentically British.

Myles has a unique ability to turn what could be an angst ladden story, into something funny that can still hits you in the feels without gutting you. Merry Gentlemen is no exception.

Riley and Stan meet and reunite after 5 years
Cadiva
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I'm British (although a Yorkshire girl rather than from the south west setting of this Somerset delight) and so everything about this festive novella spoke to me.

Recently republished after Josephine got the rights back from Samhain, it really is a joyous trip through the typical British chaos of a Christmas market (which usually start in November!) with a second chance romance of delicious fun.

Riley hasn't gotten over his Slovakian ex Stan, who broke things off five years previous to
Shirley Frances
Riley never forgot about Stan - the one that got away. Try as he might, Stan was always there in the back of Riley's mind. So when Riley comes upon Stan on a stall at the Market he is managing, he can't believe his eyes. Stan. His Stan, was right in front of him. Not only did Stan look as handsome and Riley remembered, but he also ignited feelings that Riley had thought long-forgotten.

Stan is the quiet sort, but with a presence that commands attention. And he surely had Riley's attention from th
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

I liked this one well enough. I've added "Attend the annual Bath Christmas Market" onto my list of things I must do before I kick the bucket. Riley's and Stan's story was sweet. No doubt. My hang-up was that Riley seemed to make all of the sacrifice. I get that he was a little bit materialistic and rat-race driven. Granted, I wouldn't find those aspects of his personality terribly attractive, but regardless it was part of the magic that was him. And, Stan supposedly loved Riley (althoug
Eli Easton
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was just delightful. As a writer, I really appreciate and adore an author who can write clever dialogue, inject humor into mundane situations, and add that little twist of surprise that makes you gasp in a semi-shocked/mostly-charmed sort of way. This book is all that. I highlighted my way through this story, chuckling out loud, and I didn't put the story down, not once. I just loved JJ--he was funny and bright and so out-there. #gaysanta? The office party underwear? The nipple daisies? Bri ...more
Sofia
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sofia by: Ingie
Shelves: smilies, 3-5-stars

This came just at the right moment. I needed the smiles and it gave them to me. Enjoyed this flowing piece. A light exploration of when loving is not enough. And when trying new perspectives will show us more of ourselves and our lives.

My friend Ingela had asked me to tell her what I feel about Scrappy and I have to admit that I felt for her and wanted to know that she was ok.

BR with Irina - thanks for the company

R.J.
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second Josephine Myles book I have read that I want everyone to read! Oh book, how much do I love you?

Josephine Myles has a sense of humour that I adore. Getting inside Riley's head had me smiling from page 1 and this story ticks every one of my boxes. It's cute, hot, sexy, fun and romantic and added to all that it's based around Christmas. What more do I need?

Her characterisation is so spot on, and I absolutely adored Stan and his wood... The sex she writes is raw and dirty but at t
Dee
4 1/2 stars

I was supposed to read this with a friend so she could hold my hand through the MM scenes, a genre I am not normally comfortable reading. However that was not necessary, in fact I got so caught up in the story I forgot it was supposed to be a buddy read and finished way ahead of her.

I loved the plot, the characters, the stupid bird, the humour (loved that sausage scene) and the raw sexy male loving! BRILLIANT!!
Elizabetta

This is a gentle romance about second chances… two men who made a go of it, had a committed relationship, but broke up when they couldn’t maintain common ground.

Riley is a city boy and he thrives on the social interaction and convenience of an urban setting. He is intent on having a successful career in management, climbing the ladder at all cost. His job as general manager for the Bath Christmas Market, a very popular open-air holiday fair, seems to be the perfect step in that upward
Kassa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute, fun, and lots of campy singing. What else does a holiday novella need? Myles is a great author and she’s once again delivered with this entertaining and enjoyable story about a city-slicker who falls back in love with his country ex. The two may live seemingly very different lives but the power of love wins out. The characters are adorable and the story reads incredibly fast. There’s enough minor action and witty dialogue to keep the pages turning. The ending is a bit optimistic and overly ...more
dbbks3
I am trying to think of one thing I did not like about this books, but the only thing I can come up with is that it ended. I loved the location as I think Bath is absolutely lovely.

Riley is smart and funny. He lost his true love, Stan, 5 years ago because he loves the city and he has compared every new lover to Stan. He still has pictures of Stan hanging in his bedroom.

Stan wanted the peace and beauty of the country. He needs that for his work with wood. Stan takes a booth at the Bath Christma
Kaje Harper
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, light
This is a quirky, second-chances holiday romance. Riley is a big-city kind of guy, with an upwardly mobile career. Five years ago, his boyfriend Stan made the decision that he needed to live somewhere quiet and rural. Riley refused to go along, and Stan walked out. And while Riley likes to pretend he got over that, Stan is still the standard he compares men to, and the guy he thinks about in unguarded moments. So when life brings them together again, the sparks immediately fly.

But their basic in
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Gaudete
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Let It Snow (Minnesota Christmas, #1)
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Holidays with the Bellskis, #2)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Christmas Delights
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Where the Lovelight Gleams
  • Mistletoe at Midnight
  • The Christmas Proposition
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Rebound (Heartwarming)
  • Comfort and Joy
English through and through, Josephine Myles is addicted to tea and busy cultivating a reputation for eccentricity. She writes gay erotica and romance, but finds the erotica keeps cuddling up to the romance, and the romance keeps corrupting the erotica. She blames her rebellious muse but he never listens to her anyway, no matter how much she threatens him with a big stick. She's beginning to suspe ...more