Start by marking “Dracula and Other Horror Stories” as Want to Read:
Dracula and Other Horror Stories

Dracula and Other Horror Stories

Dracula and Other Horror Classics collects the most memorable tales of horror by Bram Stoker. In addition to Dracula--the landmark vampire novel that set the pattern for virtually all vampire fiction written after its publication in 1897--this omnibus collects the novels The Jewel of Seven Stars and The Lair of the White Worm. In also includes a dozen of Stoker's short tal ...more
Leather Bound, Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic, 757 pages
Published July 22nd 2013 by Sterling (first published April 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dracula and Other Horror Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula and Other Horror Stories

J Beckett
I attempted to tackle this book when I was a curious and rambunctious 10 year old. The story was legendary, but I wasn't made aware that the language would drain my blood with as much fervor as the principal character. Frustrated, I tossed the booked aside. Several years later, in an AP English class, it became a required read and, surprisingly, I was lost in the magnificence, the majestic coolness, the imagery, the darkness of every word on every page. It chilled me; left me looking over my sho ...more
Shannon S.
In some ways, the novel resembles little more than an epistolary Victorian sex fantasy. Fans of "Twilight" will hate this book; that quality alone would sway my opinion in its favor. You could write off Dracula as a simple horror novel or attempt to compare Stoker's vision with other vampire novels. That would not be veracious to this novel, nor would it be accurate.

Stoker's was the first popular novel of the vampire genre, and remains arguably one of the best. (Polidori's The Vampyre--a portra
Katharine Willard
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Dracula - I was worried initially that the writing style would be too difficult to grasp, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was rather easy. From what I can remember (I did begin this in April after all) Dracula started off reasonably well-paced. I found I enjoyed the story line with Lucy and her antics better than the subsequent manhunt for Dracula himself which means I didn't enjoy the ending as much as I could have. It was also a bit slower before the climax with Stoker/his characters do ...more
Susy
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dracula

Me ha gustado mucho la historia de Drácula, es un buen clásico, y que decir de los Personajes como van helsing, como mina, o el loco (quien me daba más miedo que el propio conde)..es una lectura que te mantiene pendiente con los misterios alrededor de esta historia. Los otros cuentos de terror son cortos y terroríficos, muy buenos.
Valerie Miller
So far, I've only read Dracula, I will update the review when I make it through the rest of the stories.
I really enjoyed Dracula, and have forgotten what it's like to have a truly evil vampire as a character.
Scott Southard
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wil be reviewing this in the future on WKAR's Current State. Stay tuned...
Kimani Collins
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i totally love the book, but i love the movie with winona ryder in it.
Patty Zuiderwijk
Story: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Reread: Yes, I have read this book multiple times already so this won't be the last time.
Jojo
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Opinião em breve
Elise
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I only read Dracula from this book, not the other stories. The beginning from Jonathan Harker's perspective was such riveting and exciting reading, but after that it was such a drag. It was such a struggle to finish. I did kind of like how all the characters teamed up together in the end to defeat Dracula.
Kristin
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Dracula: 4/5
I really enjoyed the way this story was written. The separate notes and diary entries gave life to the characters in a way that is unique to the rest of Stoker's works. Though the ending was a little too convenient for my taste, the journey of all the characters and the way they developed was fascinating. A little wordy, as seems to be characteristic of Stoker, but not so much so that it gets in the way of the story.

Jewel of the Seven Stars: 3/5
I wanted so badly to love this story -
Brooke
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(This rating is for ‘Dracula’ only, as I have not yet read the other stories in this book.)

“Welcome to my house. Come freely. Go safely; and leave something of the happiness you bring.”

A story of a vampire, Dracula, who travels from Transylvania to London so that he may have at his disposal an ample supply of fresh blood; and of a group of people who discover his existence and determine to hunt him down.

My previous ideas of Dracula were wiped clean as I began this book and he revealed himself
Josef Kutilek
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books I've ever read. I remember being very surprised as a young boy, expecting it to be very dry and melodramatic. However, I was sucked in from start to finish. The format of journals, diaries, and newspaper clippings made it seem all the more real. It was like I was reading something that truly happened to these people. Dracula was suddenly no longer a cartoon character in my mind but a genuine threat. Highly recommended.
Carlos
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Book had a very strong beginning and middle, but I got more disinterested the farther into it I read. Also the ending was completely anti-climactic. Best character by far was Renfield.
Matthew Hammett
Shelves: books-i-own
like 3.5??? idk
Alpa
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
a little dated, and some odd plot holes, but still good!
Greg
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the way the book was put together through journals, news clippings, and phonograph diary. I think the ending of this book is kind of weak, but overall a good story.
Andreas
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dracula: 2/5
Dracula has its strengths in the smaller stories it tells, like the story about the madman who catches flies, then spiders, then birds, and when he doesn't get a cat, eats the birds. Another story I liked a lot was the one about a captain and the mysterious disappearance of his crew till only he remains as a paranoid, broken man who is determined to reach port. Both of these are excellent examples of how to build dread and are legitimately eerie.

The problems come in the main story,
Chris Orme
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
31/130 (2019 Reading Challenge)

Firstly this is not one book it is 4. Dracula, The jewel of the 7 stars, the lair of the white worm & Dracula’s guest and other stories.

Dracula definitely gets 5stars, it was enjoyable to read & compelling right to the very end. I’d tried to read it when younger & could not get on with it but now really enjoyed it. A defining piece of horror fiction & a definite classic.

The Jewel of the seven stars, I would give 5 stars as well. Not the classic Dra
Marius Stubberud
Mar 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible
I found Dracula to be an alright novel, and I can see the influences its had on vampire lore. My praise ends there, though. I'm not sure if it's just how characters were written in those times or if it was just how Bram Stoker wrote them, but to me they were completely void of any humanity. They were all virtually pure plot devices, and painfully theatrical and verbose. And I don't know how many times one of the characters said something along the lines of "let us think about what we've just tal ...more
John
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stoker does a good job of making his vampire character's story sound real with his use of Epistolary formatting, historical research of Vlad Tepes Dracula, local Transylvanian superstitions and real geographic story placing. The book probably drew the most scares possible out of it's Victorian English audience and still has power over its modern one.
Javier Alvarez
It starts really interesting, I wasn't aware that the narrative format of the book was like this, however, right after the middle of the book it starts to become repetitive and boring, luckily it picks up again by the end. My only complaint is that mid part of the book.
Molly
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Finished reading "Dracula" will get round to reading the other stories soon!
Nizan Sanders
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good. The jumping around to different character's stories was a little tiresome. I lost the mood to read it after a while.
Jana
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dracula is a phenomenal work of ficiton, and I also highly enjoyed the rest of the stories printed in this book.
Elena Testino
Nov 05, 2014
Deborah Baker
Jun 01, 2016
Amelia
Jun 20, 2015
Teresa
Dec 31, 2017
  • Penny Dreadfuls: Sensational Tales of Terror (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
  • Classic American Short Stories
  • Classic Horror Stories
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • Zombies!: An Illustrated History of the Undead
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • Jules Verne Seven Novels (Five Weeks in a Balloon, Around the World in Eighty Days, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Round the Moon, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island)
  • The Snow Queen and Other Winter Tales
  • Tarzan of the Apes: The First Three Novels (Tarzan, #1-3)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Monsters in the Movies
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • H.G. Wells: Six Novels
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
He was born Abraham Stoker in 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent – then as now called "The Crescent" – in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely. Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist lo ...more
“it never rains but it pours.” 1 likes
“que todos bailemos al son de la tonada que ella toca. Corazones sangrantes, y secos huesos en los cementerios, y lágrimas que queman al caer..., todos bailan juntos la misma música que ella ejecuta con esa boca sin risa que posee.” 0 likes