Start by marking “Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)

Foreplay

(The Ivy Chronicles #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  17,233 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews
Before she goes after the life she’s always wanted, she’s about to find the one she needs.

Pepper has been hopelessly in love with her best friend’s brother, Hunter, for like ever. He’s the key to everything she’s always craved: security, stability, family. But she needs Hunter to notice her as more than just a friend. Even though she’s kissed exactly one guy, she has jus
Published November 5th 2013 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Foreplay, please sign up.
Louise In the other two books in the series there is some new things since they all are friends, but not much really.. :)

·  17,233 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews

Emily May

I am conducting what I'm shelving as a "New Adult (NA) Experiment". I'm going to work my way through some of the popular New Adult books and see if I can weed out the crap and hopefully find some surprising gems. Here's hoping!

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."
- John Lennon

This book is New Adult. It's contemporary romance. And it's New Adult. I liked it. And it's New Adult. I'm starting to believe that 2014 may be the year when pigs grow wings and take off in flight.

F
Rachel (BAVR)
BE WARNED: GIFs ahead

Ugh. Experiment FAIL.

Let me start with a quick note about names. Yeah, BAVR likes to open with the important stuff. What in the name of all things holy is up with the names in these New Adult books? Here are the names of some of the jerks characters in this book: Pepper, Reece, Emerson, Hunter, and Georgia. On their own, the names are wholly inoffensive, I suppose. I wouldn't name my child any of those things, but it's not like the author named them "Speedboat" or "Kitchen"
Patrycja
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

img

These days, I mostly bitch about predictabilty, boring plots and themes that are used so many times, I don’t have to read all book to know how it’ll go. Writing unique and refreshing New Adult Book started to be very hard task, as I’ve read so many books in the same taste it’s almost impossible to surprise me. But guess what? Foreplay took me by surprise with it’s predictability (!) and the fact that I freaking loved it anyways. I know crazy, right? I think I’m bipolar.

img

The story follo
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Idiotic, cliched and bland. Once again, I was tricked into reading another new adult novel with an overused storyline. See, all those stereotypes (yes, the negative ones) associated with new adult books are in this one. Let's make a checklist, friends.

1.) The inexperienced, supposedly "intelligent" heroine--Pepper. Oh dear Lord, where do I even start? Pepper's our resident elitist bitch and virgin. She needs to get her foot out of her ass and really get to know people before she puts them down
L A i N E Y
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to L A i N E Y by: Holly
A nice one: thier chemistry is good and there is a decent amount of genre required angst.

Although the book did get my hopes up early on for a love triangle situation but did not go that way. Oh well mea culpa. I guess I just can’t go through life reading books and always hoping for love triangles..... right? (Really?)

OH WELL.

rating: ★★★

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
This was pretty typical for the NA genre. But it was well written and I liked the characters for the most part. It was single POV, from the heroine. There really wasn't anything that I didn't like about it, it just didn't stand out for me.

Some of the basics:

Virgin meets tattooed bad boy
Both had "damaged" pasts
College-ish setting (she's 19 and in college, he's 24 and dropped out)
h in pining for her BFFs older brother

Foreplay is the story of Pepper (loved the name btw) and Reese. Pepper has been
Irene Sim
For Readathon-2017: 31/52
In the category "A book with only one word on the title"
Woman authors: 27/27

I loved it.

Reread 05/11/2017
So the past week I've been on a marathon of rereading some of my favorite NA series. I still love the books and this one was as great as I remembered it. Pepper and Reece are an amazing couple and if you haven't read this book yet harry up and read it. You won't regret it. Sophie Jordan somehow avoids many of the tropes used in this gender while keeping the humor and h
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Shouldn't have re-read*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 03.04.2018
Can't figure out why I decided to re-read this one but I couldn't find anything new that looked interesting enough to catch my interest, so I went through my '4-stars' shelf and I found this. A book I didn't remember much - if anything - about. But I clearly liked it when I read it considering the rating (but I haven't written review for it, so I a bit uncertain), so why not. Overall, I wasn't a big fan of the story this time around. The
Anali
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
Actualización de review

“I wouldn’t have waited this long for you. I would have already showed up at your dorm the minute I decided I wanted you. I wouldn’t leave until I convinced you that you were mine”

Ok, Foreplay quizás no sea uno de los mejores libros New Adult, pero fue la primera novela de ese género que leí y por eso tengo derecho a ponerle 5 ★★★★, ya que me parecía increíble. Además, Reece Mulvaney es uno de los primeros protagonistas masculinos que me enamoraron (junto con Cameron
Ailene♥
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
A 19 year old who's been in love with her best friend's brother for the longest time. The brother just broke up with his girlfriend so along came her chance of making him fall in love with her. However, there's just one bit of a problem. She's totally inexperienced... yep, she's a virgin. So she and her friends came up with an idea to get the training from some other guy... preferably a hot, tattooed bartender.

I really don't mind reading books with cliché story line because sometimes I still do
Tera
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart and steamy, the perfect mix of romance, emotion and heat.
Jen (still the duck lady)
4.5 Stars

I loved this little bit of NA goodness! Well done all the way around. I can't wait to read Georgia's story.
Apoorva
Pepper, having gone through a rough childhood, craves warmth and comfort of a stable relationship and Hunter is the embodiment of everything she needs. But, things take an unexpected turn when she finds herself attracted to a bartender Resse, who’s gorgeous, dangerous and has a troubled past. Now, she has to choose between what she really wants and what she needs.

It’s a genuinely good book despite what the title and description suggest. It was a refreshing take on an adult romance. The story is
Molly
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult-maybe
I'm continuing to read titles marketed as NA, and this one caught my eye because it's from an established YA and adult romance writer and published in paperback by an imprint of a Big 6(5) publishing house (HarperCollins).

It has all the hallmarks of NA -- 1) tattooed supposedly "bad boy/player" 2) a heroine with a past of sexual abuse/rape/etc 3) main characters who are lower middle to lower class 4) little actual "college" beyond bars/sex 5) contrived plot to bring the main characters together
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Well, here I am again. I fell for the hype and came out a black sheep. As much as I don’t like the existence of New Adult as a classification, I am totally up for books about people transitioning into adulthood. As such, I keep hoping that the age classification will produce books that will actually cover that time of life and its issues, rather than just being a garden variety romance novel that mak
Jacqueline's Reads
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-books
4 Super Cute Stars

Pepper is a virgin. She doesn’t go on dates nor has any interest in them. She’s awkward, shy and very naïve when it comes to sex. Her long time crush Hunter, is recently single and this is finally Pepper’s chance to snag her crush. She just needs confidence sexually. Pepper’s girlfriends decide Pepper needs to find a hot guy to teach her the art of foreplay. Sexy bartender Reece is the guy that is happy to step up to the plate and help Pepper.

Foreplay is a super adorable easy,
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
Nah life's too short. DNF. Fuck. This. Book.

"He had to have something else going for him. Disappointment curled through me to think that there was nothing more for him than this. No goals outside of tending bar."

"So working in a bar was all there was for him. Again, there was a stab of disappointment. "

FUCK YOU. This lassie is the fucking worst. Seriously I am disgusted by the judgmental message here. I can't actually believe what I just read.

"I'm not like most girls."

"Not one of the sex pots
Mitchii
This is the story of a bad boy with a reputation that precedes him and the goody two-shoes girl who wants to experience being with a bad boy—first. Sounds cliché? I already pass my judgment without even reading it. But can you blame me? This has been done over and over again. I’m not against recycled plot but at least offer something new. Something different despite the originality being an issue.

My introduction sounds negative right? But don’t fret good people I actually liked this book. Yes, i
Naoms
Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

I already know what negative reviews of this book will say. They will say they’ve read this story before and that it’s not unique and I am going to say…whatever. Not a very strong argument, I know, but I enjoyed this book. When I opened Sophie Jordan’s FOREPLAY, I was really stressed out. It was 48 hours before an intense deadline and I needed a break. I tried other books, but I could not get into them. FOREPLAY pulled me in right away. Why? Because I unde
Beth Hudspeth
It was cute!

\

First by Sophie Jordan
Meggie
⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is a widely-read book, so I’m not going to spend too much time on a review. I’ll just say that it was really sweet, in a good way... the characters were likable and the story good without being over the top. Reece was a great hero, and Pepper, while frustrating at times, was hard not to love. I’ve never been a fan of the inexperienced-girl trope, so that fact I enjoyed this one speaks volumes. If you’re looking for a sweet story about how love can be found in unexpected places, this one
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Not the best, not the worst. I won't bore you with the details of Pepper's Special Snowflake complex or Reece's average hotness. Instead, I'll provide you with some of my favorite Taylor Townsend moments, since those just kept popping in my head through the book since Reece described Pepper as "all cream and peaches".

Luzie
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book quite a bit. It wasn`t at all what i was expecting, but not in a negative way. The difference was that the book focused more on the needs of emotion rather than the lust-filled feeling i get with quite a lot of other books in this genre. Pepper and Reece, well, what do i have to say about them? Instead of the usual difficulties they had the trust issues other clichees had. I think that was the one factor that kept the book from a five-star book. Pepper was a real cute character, ...more
Huntley Fitzpatrick
Of all the NA books I've read, this is far and away my favorite. Gorgeous, smart and sexy (like both lead characters), it completely resonated with me. Loved it. One of those instant-reread-your-favorite-scenes books.
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
This was my third attempt at reading this and I seriously wanted to do this to myself ...

description

... from the start all the way through the 30% I managed read.

I HATED the heroine and the narrator on the audio version. I thought my problem may have been just with her droning voice but when I switched to the ebook version it was still just as bad. I can't even be bothered to list the other reasons.

I'm going to put this on my DNF pile and hope it disappears forever.

description
Teryna90
"This wasn't a fling.
It was less than that. It was us pretending.
Playing at something more"

I don't remember the last time I've read a new adult with a pretty common plot that made me shiver, smile, laugh, and love all at once. This book sure isn't perfect, and sure isn't "special" but it sure is heartmelting! My feels were going up and down like a teeter totter. I'm pretty picky on new adults and love stories, so if I gave it 4 stars it means it really deserves it!!! This book I'm pretty sur
Sarah Darlington

6 stars! Exactly what I look for and love in a NA novel! MUST BUY!

So, I devoured Sophie Jordan's YA Firelight series a few years back...and when I saw she wrote a NA book, I bought it on the spot!

Then I read it straight through unable to stop myself. Reese was perfect. Hottie bartender. Loved Pepper too. Nice HEA with no cliffhanger.

Perfect. Just the right amount of friction, sweetness, and angst. For a book called Foreplay the sex was only mildly hot. Not the hottest thing
Jasprit
Foreplay was one of those guilty pleasure reads that I knew how things would go down for our characters, but I didn’t care because I enjoyed the build up and tension along the way.

Pepper has always had her eyes set on Hunter, her best friends brother, he’d been the ideal guy that she needed after her up and down life that she’d had and when thinks were looking rough for her too Hunter was one of the first people to give her a chance. Despite having a crush on Hunter for the longest time and choo
Didi
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when the one you want isn't the one you need?

What happens when pretend turns out to be real?

What happens when you finally get the one you want only to realize he's not?

To answer all these questions, you have got to read Foreplay. Pepper has been pining for Hunter for as long as she could remember. He's her best friends brother and what she's always considered her future.

If he ever saw her as more than a little sister. Or a friend.

Pepper's inexperienced. She longs to be a seductress,
Nadine
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re read and adjusting the rating to 5 stars.
I've read so much bad NA over the years, this is definitely a great one ( if you like all the drama that comes with NA).

****************************************

4 Stars

This is a typical, fluffy NA story. I liked the characters and the writing.
The H, Reece, makes a good book boyfriend ;)

The whole series is great. I'm a sucker for this NA/college stuff. I can't help myself.
If you like this kind of books, you'll love Foreplay.

*re-read May 2017

• One & Only (Canton, #1)
  • Everything Between Us
  • Harder (Caroline & West, #2)
  • Third Degree
  • A Little Too Far (A Little Too Far, #1)
  • Sweet (True Believers, #2)
  • Stir Me Up
  • Ruined (The Eternal Balance, #1)
  • Finding It (Losing It, #3)
  • The Truths about Dating and Mating (Riordan College, #1)
  • Roar
  • Love Show
  • Catching Liam (Good Girls Don't, #1)
  • Boomerang (Boomerang, #1)
  • By Referral Only (Whitman University, #2)
  • Out of Line (Out of Line, #1)
  • Rush Me (New York Leopards, #1)
  • To Professor, with Love (Forbidden Men, #2)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years

The Ivy Chronicles (3 books)
  • Tease (The Ivy Chronicles, #2)
  • Wild (The Ivy Chronicles, #3)
“You can’t even see it. I’m the safest thing you’ll ever find” 33 likes