Start by marking “Tales of the Left Hand, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Left Hand, Book 1

Tales of the Left Hand, Book 1

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In the tropical-island region known as the Frees, magic is growing stronger, and gunpowder is becoming less reliable. Amid this world of "swashbuckling, intrigue and a dash of magic," two adventurers literally run into each other and are forced to fight together against pirates, sinister assassins and powerful merchant families, in the process developing a most unlikely fr ...more
ebook
Published June 19th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Left Hand, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Left Hand, Book 1

Mel
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
As an audiobook available for free from Podiobooks.com, I wasn't really sure what to expect quality-wise, but this was an amazing book! Author and narrator John Meagher is an amazing voice actor and this audiobook definitely demonstrates his talents with many characters with different dialects, accents, etc.
Beyond the excellent narration, Tales of the Left Hand Book One is also a fun and intriguing adventure fantasy story. It has witty, intelligent, like-able characters, and does a brilliant jo
Mike
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: podiobooks, indie
I don't always want an action-packed adventure, but when I do, I want a good one. This is a good one.

There are pirates. There's court intrigue. Secret passages, magic, assassins, rooftop chases, sword fights, it's all here.

I listened to the author's excellent reading via Podiobooks.com (and tipped him there, because it's worth some money), so I can't comment on the editing of the ebook version. I did spot a few very slightly misused words in the audio version.

My only other criticism is that th
Liz
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I have decided that I don't need to listen to the news on my drive to and from work. Too sad. So I started listening to TOTLH.

I found myself taking an extra trip around the block, sitting in the driveway, or hoping for traffic to listen to just a little bit more. What a fun series! One I can listen to with my 10yo son, and have us both engrossed. Definitely excited now that book three is started, but the wait for each weeks chapter to come out is painful!
Sherry Ramsey
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
A nice, original-feeling fantasy adventure. The audiobook is well-narrated by the book's author, with good production values. The author has built a nicely complex fantasy world, with intriguing characters and interesting problems. I'll be checking out the second book in the series.
Lyle Beaudoin
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! Castle intrigue in a tropical pirate culture, The Kohaya Quad and The Frees are a wonderful playground; Kohayne is the best city to avoid since Ankh-Morpork. Mr. Meagher's reading is a treat too, it doesn't take long to forget you're listening to one person.
Latz
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You want adventure, pirates, magic and elves all in one book? Read this!
Emily
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tropical-fantasy
This was... disappointing. It's hard to be all that mad at a free audiobook, but here we are. It was very clear to me that this was John Meagher's first book as I was listening. There's a very "rookie" quality to the prose that's sometimes very hard to ignore. Most of my issues with this come in spots where the narration focuses in on thoughts, feelings, and dialogue. I felt like there was more telling than showing, that all of the characters were more inclined to speak honestly aloud with each ...more
Vidurr Skjoldrbrot
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
It started off bland and the left hands character seemed to shift but it remained entertaining and fun. I greatly enjoyed it and for anyone this would turn away. Please listen or read it. By the second book these problems are no more. By the end of the second book I did something I hadn't done since I was in 7th grade. I teared up and even shouted in triumph at one point celebrating the characters victory. Shocked me. Lol I sat there alone in my car cheeks in the middle of the night cheeks feeli ...more
Dave
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great novel! Intriguing world, great plot twists and believable characters. I loved everything about the book, especially the author's voice talents! The only criticism is at times the pace gets more detailed (I won't say slow) and I am waiting momentarily for the excitement to ramp up again - I guess I'm a fan of ending chapters on a high note or cliffhanger. I've read book 1 and 2. GREAT FUN!
Karen
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like very much.
Daniel
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very exciting read indeed. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Dave
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a hobby project that started out so the author could send samples of his voice acting to audiobook producers, well, let's just say John Meagher put the cart before the horse. And then somehow got that cart up to 60mph, with the horse holding on for dear life.

Not only is the storytelling top notch, but Meagher is one of the most talented narrators I've ever heard, voicing dozens of characters without ever leaving you uncertain who is speaking. I'm always excited when I hear him narrating one
Matt
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great, lighthearted but very creative fantasy set in a world of minor states caught in a background of global intrigue. Interesting characters with mysterious backstories, mad fundamentalist religions, vicious pirates and magic slowly seeping back into the world. Very highly recommended either as a read or as the audio version as read by the author.
Nannika
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome in more ways than 1. Loved the writing and the historical view point. Loved the characters (most of them) and the traveling! Found on podiobooks.com. Read all in quick succession and am eargerly awaiting any more :)
Rod Miller
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the audiobook version. Listed to it on podiobooks . Get it mobile on newfiction.com
Kasy
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this book! I have just finished listening for the fifth time! Love it!
Chris
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
An entertaining listen. Magic, political intrigue, pirates, elves, etc...
David Woods
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've really enjoyed listening to the book. Good twists and turns, enjoyable, and colorful.
Andrew Jones
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Swashbuckling and sorcery. What's not to like. The audiobook is well delivered by the author and the whole thing is a lot of fun
Wendy
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
GREAT BOOK, AWESOME ADVENTURE.
WELL WRITTEN AND WELL READ.
Samuel Peterson
Jun 28, 2015
Emmy
Nov 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
John is a graphic designer and voice-over artist, who started writing Tales of the Left Hand as a side project to give himself practice narrating longer pieces of work, such as audiobooks. The demo he put together using excerpts from Book One has led to a number of professional narration jobs, now available on Audible. But he also discovered that Left Hand had taken on a life of its own, and there ...more