Start by marking “The House on Tenafly Road” as Want to Read:
The House on Tenafly Road

The House on Tenafly Road

(The Tenafly Road #1)

Heartbreaking, inspiring and captivating post-Civil War saga. When morphine-addicted veteran John Weldon marries into the comfortably suburban McCullough family on the eve of Reconstruction and the Indian Wars, life gets complicated. How will Weldon hide his addiction from the family he resents and admires, keep his standing in the army and find the strength to survive the ...more
Published March 28th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The House on Tenafly Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Tenafly Road

Start your review of The House on Tenafly Road
ABesse
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, while having a good premise/idea for a story, was very badly done. I honestly don't understand how it has so many good reviews and has won an award.

I think the first and best example of how the book is ridiculous is in the beginning when Weldon is leaving the hospital the nurse give him $5 and sends him on his way. Firstly, right after he civil war there was very little cash money floating around. People used coffee or tobacco to barter, sometimes they even used postage stamps to pay
Sherry Chiger
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book proves the importance of editors. I couldn't even finish it. Tiresome characters (I swear one of the protagonists weeps every third scene), poor copyediting (the plural of "McCulloughs" is NOT "McCullough's," an error made repeatedly), filibuster dialogue that stops the action dead for no apparent reason, an abundance of telling over showing, a seeming lack of understanding regarding the nature of drug addiction, sloppy prose ("Two excited men trudged up"!!)... I feel horrible submitti ...more
Colleen
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book

Great character development and interesting time period. Just when you thought someone was beyond salvation, she endeavors them somehow. she argues both sides of complex issues of the time.
Kathy P.
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A read demanding attention

This book was not only captivating but totally consuming. It demanded reading. There were times when I got frustrated with Katie and Weldon because they were so blind about their love and devotion to each other. But isn't that just human nature? This book was rich with real depictions of life. If you like reading about by-gone eras and human struggles, this is the book for you.
Kate Loveton
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's cut to the chase: I absolutely loved this book.

When I started Adrienne Morris's novel,'The House on Tenafly Road,' I imagined it would be similar to 'Little House on the Prairie' - not that it was a children's book, but I suspected it would be a gentle story of one family's struggles as they coped with life at an Army fort.

Well, it was indeed a story about an Army family assigned to a fort in Indian territory after the Civil War, but it was more than a gentle recounting of that family's ex
Ms. Reader
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book on Goodreads in exchange for an honest review...

This book is heartbreaking, inspiring, and had my hooked from every page. The plot, the characters, the storyline, was all brilliant and beautiful and captured me with every word.

Words that were, of course, properly spelled. The editing, grammar, and spelling was atrocious. I'm not the smallest spelling bee out there and especially am got a grammar Nazis, but I was getting annoyed by the amount of errors and misspellings they h
Jacqui
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Civil War veteran and morphine-addicted John Weldon marries into the comfortably suburban McCullough family on the eve of Reconstruction and the Indian Wars, life gets complicated. For one thing, how can he hide his cravings from a family that admires him? And how can he retain his position in the Army? Probably the most important, how can he kick this habit so it doesn't destroy everything he's built?

Book 1 in the series, this is a carefully-researched story that chronologues a Civil War v
Joy H. Lee-Story
Outstanding

I loved every word. The amazing series of secrets kept, followed shortly afterward by secrets that should have been kept but instead were freely blabbed, kept this reader turning pages. Parents who so utterly loved their children but who could not control tough criticisms were difficult to understand. Yet they appeared throughout the story, and seems the bad parenting habits were absorbed by the next generation.
The short declarative sentences made for uncluttered text and a fast read.
Tom Walsh
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Story

John Weldon is a loser. His path crosses with Simon McCullough, who is his complete opposite. It is the American Civil War and chance meetings are everywhere. It is through Simon that John meets Katherine, Simon's sister and heroine of this well-written and rich family saga. I enjoyed each episode and was privileged to witness the strength and emotions of Katherine. I will not soon forget her!
Jane
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Exactly the kind of historical fiction I love and search for incessantly. Chock full of references to the Civil War and the Indian Wars that had me frequently looking up more info about these events as portrayed in the book. And it’s not all simpering and sugar coated. It’s about real people with real problems that are still relevant today. I really enjoy sagas and can’t wait to get into the second book!
Christi
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home

I started this book without bothering to check the length. Had I done that, I may have changed my mind. So many of those books are full of pages that say nothing - or the same thing.

This is not one of those books. This is a piece of art - a story that flows from one page to the next, one year to the next, with absolute beauty. It was painful at times, full of raw emotion, but so beautifully, wonderfully written.

Well done!
Barb Willey
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Not sure what I think of this book on it's whole. A list of dysfunctional characters all so full with faults. But so well written I had to keep reading. Characters so frustrating one wants to slap them but so human one keeps hoping for the best for them.
Martha Tabb
Very long sad and depressing!
Lea McColley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreary

I have never read annything so dreary, sad, depressing, and frustrating in all my life!! It took me forever, i had to force myself to finish it.
shane kennon
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This book was in my top fifty all time best reads. Considering I have read thousands of books, that is saying something. 4.5 stars.
Michael Blodgett
Excellent! Unpredictable and engaging.
dorothy cannon
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long read

found this book hard Hong at times. Better suited to the American market I feel.
I will not be reading anymore by this author.
David
That book will be totally great.
Kathy Feller
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Stayed up all night to finish it. Hard life good endiing. Recommended for those who enjoy reading about the past.
Luanne Castle
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, fiction
The best history stories show us ourselves in a different setting. And so it is with Adrienne Morris’ ambitious novel The House on Tenafly Road. I had expected a nostalgic view of a New Jersey village almost 150 years ago. But what I discovered between the covers was the compelling story of a complicated man whose early circumstances as a mixed race (Delaware Indian and British) child of poverty and his Civil War battle wounds nearly destroy his life and family.

John Weldon is a brave and honora
Jeff
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrienne Morris, the author of this book, also writes a very interesting historical blog, called "Nothing Gilded, Nothing Gained--Where Past Meets Present at Middlemay Farm."

This was a very long book, and I might have enjoyed it a bit more had it been split into two books. However, I'm not sure where that split should have occurred, so that's all I'll say about that.

This is a gripping tale of love, loss, and betrayal, set in historical times shortly following the Civil War, leading into the Rec
Susan Gershman
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good and long

I really enjoy historical novels and this story is about a combination of things: friendship, prejudice, addiction, miscommunication and love that take place after the Civil War from Englewood, N. J. to military posts out on the Western Frontier. Interesting that many of the issues of those days remain to this day.
Jeannie E. Hennig
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

The book is a very good read. Only it was a little hard to get into at first. I kept forcing myself to keep going. About 200 pages into and then I couldn't put it down. I only give it a four because of the language that would come intermittently. I believe a book can be better if the language stays clean. I will most likely read the next book in the series.
Susan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This one could have been told in half the pages.
Dad
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. It was an interesting saga of a man and his family right after the Civil War. I liked some of the story, and not others. Also felt it was a too long.
Linda K. White
Dec 27, 2019
Mary Lynn McSkimming
Jul 03, 2020
Graham Jackson
May 12, 2018
Sue Riemersma
rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2017
Bill
Sep 27, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Passage West
  • Finding Her Way (Wildflowers, #1)
  • A Family Affair (Truth in Lies, #1)
  • Pengarron Land (Pengarron Sagas Book 1)
  • War Girl Ursula (War Girls #1)
  • Flossie's Mountain (Pioneer Wilderness Romance #12)
  • Amelia's Story
  • Sisters (Sun Valley #1)
  • The Mail-Order Bride Carries a Gun (Brides of Sweet Creek Ranch, #1)
  • Cliffs of Laguna Beach (Ryan-Hunter series)
  • Olivia, Mourning (The Olivia Series, #1)
  • Mail Order Mystery (Brides of Seattle, #1)
  • Hunt For Justice (Justice #1-2)
  • Critical Vulnerability: A Sasha McCandless Companion Novel (Aroostine Higgins #1)
  • The House of Closed Doors (The House of Closed Doors #1)
  • Juliana's Journey (Snowy Mountain #1)
Adrienne Morris is the author of The House on Tenafly Road (selected as an Editors’ Choice Book by The Historical Novel Society) and The Tenafly Road Series, the continuing 19th century saga about the Weldon and Crenshaw families of Gilded Age Englewood, New Jersey.

The Tenafly Road (6 books)
  • Weary of Running (The Tenafly Road #2)
  • The Dew That Goes Early Away (The Tenafly Road #3)
  • Forget Me Not (The Tenafly Road #4)
  • The One My Heart Loves (The Tenafly Road #5)
  • The Grand Union (The Tenafly Road #6)