Start by marking “The True and the Plain: A Collection of Personal Essays” as Want to Read:
The True and the Plain: A Collection of Personal Essays

The True and the Plain: A Collection of Personal Essays

These vintage essays, never before compiled in book form, complete the UP Press' series of Kerima Polotan's works. Ranging from the very personal recollection, "Many Things in a Life," to the astute commentary of "The Happy Hoi Polloi," they live up to the promise of the book's title. Here is life seen steadily, and described clearly and cleanly. Characterized by her trade ...more
Published 2005 by The University of the Philippines Press

To ask other readers questions about The True and the Plain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True and the Plain

Start your review of The True and the Plain: A Collection of Personal Essays
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
My brother lent me this book yesterday. When he handed this to me, he said: "Read Polotan. Satisfaction guaranteed." So tonight, after covering this with plastic, I began reading. I still have 6 books in my currently-reading folder and I thought I would not want to add another one. However, after reading the first essay, I think my brother is right. Polotan writes beautifully. So, what the heck. I can have 10 books in my currently-reading and it is my own business.

As usual, I type my thoughts r
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
It is quite shocking that no one seems to read her now. This is the book's first review and its first rating here at goodreads. I started reading it late yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to stop until I finished it around midnight. Then I immediately checked her profile here and clicked the box to become her fan. I am now her first and only fan here at goodreads. Then I found out that she had died last year, 19 August 2011, at age 85, having been born in Jolo, Sulu, Philippines on 16 December ...more
Tuklas Pahina (TP)
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nakaka-iyak sa bandang huli,sa kabuuan at nakaka-aliw. Nakaka-antig ng damdamin, emosyon, at may katatawanan ang ilang bahagi ng mga sinulat niya. Makaka-kuha ka ng magagandang "quotes". Maganda ang pagkaka-detalye niya sa mga bagay bagay o sitwasyon, simple at totoong tao. Nabanggit din niya ang pagpunta niya tungkol sa South Road sa Quezon. Para sa akin 5 stars ito. Inirerekomenda ko na magkaroon ng sariling kopya kung ikaw ay mahilig sa pagkokolekta ng ganitong sanaysay.
Juan
Nov 07, 2013 added it
Al Primo Inconto

Most of her passages took me a while to digest. I romanticized and have pondered about. A real work of beauty, creative imagination and a wonderful prose.

I wanna share this stream of consciousness or whatever you call it.
I really liked it.

*********

I like the shape of those words.
I spread them on my tongue, like butter, and turn and taste them. The syllables roll on my tongue, hit the roof of my mouth and slide off: the echoes reverberate in a cavern.

I should teach that blasted b
Jean
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lovely intimate essays. I chose this book because of KD here, and I thank him for that. It showed me with such tenderness and incite about life in the Philippines. Some history is entwined in her reminiscences too but always with a personal touch. Very nice, I shall have to look for more of her writing!
Mars
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
What a good collection!!! It’s a shame Kerima Polotan was a Marcos supporter :( Notable essays: South Road, The Last Patriarch, Apartment, The Happy Hoi Polloi, Many Things in a Life
Jaimmelyn Heart
Shara Mae
Mar 02, 2014
Neil Dumayahon
Apr 23, 2014
Kerima Polotan-Tuvera was a Filipino author. She was a renowned and highly respected fictionist, essayist, and journalists, with her works having received among the highest literary distinctions of the Philippines.[1] Some of her stories have been published under the pseudonym Patricia S. Torres.