Start by marking “Low Midnight (Kitty Norville, #13)” as Want to Read:
Low Midnight (Kitty Norville, #13)

Low Midnight

(Kitty Norville #13)

Low Midnight spins out of the series on the wave of popularity surrounding Kitty's most popular supporting character, Cormac Bennett, a two-minded assassin of the paranormal who specializes in killing lycanthropes.

In his first solo adventure, Cormac, struggling with a foreign consciousness trapped inside him, investigates a century-old crime in a Colorado mining town
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published December 30th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Low Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Low Midnight

Start your review of Low Midnight (Kitty Norville, #13)
Bea
3.5 stars, maybe 4.

Kitty fans tend to love or hate Cormac. Im in the middle; I like him quite a bit but I dont love him. He is a fascinating character a former hunter and killer for hire of vamps, weres, and other supernatural beings, hes now friends with Kitty, a werewolf, whos married to his cousin Ben, also a werewolf. He went to prison for killing a shifter. Now out on parole, hes trying to figure out what to do next with his life.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Kitty Norville
Yodamom
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
3.4
Yes finally Cormac got his book, and it was good to see so much of him. The bits and pieces I normally got of him in earlier books never sated the appetite. This book was 85% Cormac and the rest bits of Kitty, Ben, Amelia, and some others I didn't bother to remember their names.
It was a slow start, with a shocking ending cliffhanger that will make the next book boom ready to go off. The pacing was a much slower then most of these stories but I was not disappointed just off, he is a different
Inbar
Mar 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: waiting
January 2015???? but...but...it's about a year away!! a year!

Melodie
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Probably 2.5 stars, but rounding up instead of down on the merits of the series as whole. I've always liked Cormac, but this book felt like filler more than anything. If you're a fan of the series, you'll read it but it's only okay.
Kaje Harper
This series had been a lot of fun, watching werewolf Kitty and her friends and her pack tracking down evil and giving good talk-show advice on the paranormal. I've been waiting for this one - a better look at Cormac, the ex-bounty hunter and good friend of Kitty's. He's been an intriguing and hard to pin down character.

When Cormac was in prison he picked up a ghost as a hitch-hiker. Amelia now lives in his head, provides Cormac with company (even if ephemeral - at least he can't run away from
Craig
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the thirteenth novel in the Kitty Norville series but it isn't really a Kitty story at all, but rather features Cormac (and Amelia) in his (their) first big solo adventure. Like many readers, I didn't care for Cormac at all early in the series, but he has developed so well and changed so much that I really enjoyed this one. It begins as Cormac is finally freed, but of course he finds trouble almost immediately. Kitty is around only peripherally, but Cormac and Amelia (the 19th century ...more
Christine
3.5

Lets be straight up. The Kitty Norville books are not great literature. They are enjoyable brain candy, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
This additional to the series, which seems to be the penultimate book, is different in that it is told in a viewpoint other than Kittys.
This makes it refreshing. It isnt that Kitty is dislikable, but in a few of the later books, she borders on being the only one able to solve anything, and seeing her in a supporting role was refreshing.
The
Melindeeloo
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x2015
4.5 stars- I really liked Low Midnight (Kitty Norville Book 13) in audio and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to like it for several reasons: First, I was really irritated by the last Kitty book and second, as a side character I thought Cormack was kind of ruined by his possession by the spirit of mage Amelia.

They are far more interesting in the lead, since you get both sides of their interaction - I don't think Cormack would have been good in the lead otherwise, he's just too
Jerry
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a prime example of why it is sometimes a BAD idea to give a popular supporting character a full book. Bad enough that there is hardly any Kitty in it, but by himself Cormac just isn't that interesting, relatable, or mysterious. Coupled with a very thin story line, this is by far the weakest of the series. It does not work as a stand-alone book. It does feel like more of a transitional or "setup"/ lead-in to the final Kitty Norville book. Having invested so much time in these books, I do ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Cormac has finally completed his probation after his lengthly prison sentence. Time for a new beginning and not just from prison; the werewolf hunter has no guns, supernatural friends and is now haunted by a Victorian witch. A lot has changed for him.

And with this whole new reality he is now front and centre investigating a 100 year old murder; with completely new tools and a completely new viewpoint.

This book was necessary

I can see you all pulling back now, because necessary is a word I fall
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

The book Kitty Norville fans (or maybe just me) have been waiting for, LOW MIDNIGHT tells a story from Cormacs point of view. If youre expecting a Kitty story, youll be disappointed. Kitty is still present, but this is basically Cormac taking the reins, and having his own adventure.

Cormacs character has always been a bit of a mystery, and I cant say that LOW MIDNIGHT answered all of my questions about him. We definitely get more background information
Steph
Low Midnight mixes things up a bit in the Kitty saga - it's told from Cormac's POV. Kitty and Ben are present, but the story is mainly his and Amelia's. As a fan of Cormac, I enjoyed the change. It gives fans a closer look at him, his past and how he's dealing with his present.

No longer a ward of the Colorado Dept of Corrections, Cormac heads home. He's switching things up a bit - from paranormal assassin to supernatural P.I. - realizing that his hunting skills could be put to use in a new way.
Shelley
Expected publication: December 30th 2014 by Tor Books

*Synopsis*

Cormac, the Kitty Norville series' most popular supporting character, stars in his first solo adventure

Low Midnight spins out of the series on the wave of popularity surrounding Kittys most popular supporting character, Cormac Bennett, a two-minded assassin of the paranormal who specializes in killing lycanthropes. In his first solo adventure, Cormac, struggling with a foreign consciousness trapped inside him, investigates a
Godiva
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was super slow and basically boring, a bit of a disappointment
Kathy
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
While Kitty and Ben are in this book, it's more Cormac and Amelia's story. They're in search of a method to decode a book of magic that could aid them in their upcoming battle with the series' big bd but first must solve a 100 year old murder mystery. Lots of both of their backgrounds exposed and some peace found. Good cliff hanger ending, too.
chucklesthescot
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr, shifters
Kitty and her friends are awaiting answers on Amy's Book of Shadows which they have placed online to see if anyone can help them with it. Cormac and Amelia want to find Amy's aunt to see if she has a way of unlocking Amy's secrets so they can defeat Roman. Amelia wants to go because it is the same town where she was once arrested for murder. Judi becomes interested in Cormac and Amelia and sets them on a quest to prove they are worthy of her help before she decodes the book for them, which ...more
Malinda
4 stars

This was a very good addition to the Kitty Norville series. This story centers around Cormac (and Amelia, the disembodied spirit that shares Cormac's body) with Kitty and Ben showing up a bit but they aren't in the majority of the story.

In this story, Cormac is working on getting a way to decipher a journal that has some information that will help them all fight against the vampires that are taking part in the "Long Game" (a plan for vamps to take over the world). To get the info he
Benjamin Thomas
The 13th and penultimate book in the Kitty Norville series takes an entirely different approach to telling the story. Rather than the first person POV of Kitty, this time around we have a third person perspective from one of the primary supporting characters, Cormac Bennett, a hunter of the paranormal and rough-around-the-edges friend of Kitty. Its an interesting choice and makes for a refreshing take on the series.

The plot builds on the events from the end of the previous novel, Kitty in the
Melissa
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you have been reading this series you know about the enigmatic and taciturn character Cormac. This is his book and his adventure. You get to see what a bit of his world is like as we follow him into solving two mysteries. One, a murder mystery over a 100 years old.

While trying not to spoil things for those that have not caught up to #13, I will say that this is a good addition and important to the over all arc in the story running through this series. I have a feeling some things here could
Sandra
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
There was only a smattering of Kitty & Ben, it was 99% Cormac & Amelia's POV.

Cormac is trying to decipher Amy Scanlon's Book of Shadows and approaches her aunt, to see if she can provide a key to the code. The aunt & friend instead give Cormac a task - how did a local wizard die 100 yrs ago in a duel when he went up against someone with no magic? Should he succeed he will get the key to the code.

Whilst investigating, Cormac runs into Anderson Layne, an old hunting buddy of Cormac's
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Favorite Lines "Getting comfortable with it all-that was the weird part."

"Neither one of them made my hackles twitch, if that helps. Well, that cat did. Yeesh. Don't trust that cat, okay?"

"I won't be alone."

Carrie Vaughn is amazing! I've always loved Cormac in the Kitty books and him having his own book is perfect!
I will be honest I don't know how I feel about Amelia. On one hand I think she's the perfect little voice of reason for Cormac but on the other hand she's as much of adrenaline junkie
Tasula
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Low Midnight takes place in the world of Kitty Norville, werewolf radio talk show host, but it is about her friend Cormac, with Kitty making a relatively brief appearance in the book. Cormac became "possessed" while in prison by a magician who was hanged 100 years earlier. She saved his life, and he now shares his body with her in an uneasy alliance. They head to Colorado to try to get the code key for a witch's book Kitty needs. I liked Cormac's character in this book (and when he appeared in ...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
As a Cormac fan I was pleased to read a book from his (and Amelia's) POV. I did miss Kitty's POV, but this series needed a jolt. The last couple of books were disappointing reads and the weakest 2 books of the series (IMO). This installment was so much better it gives me hope for the last book, Kitty Saves the World.
I thought the mystery was cool. Cormac had to face his past, both people he knew and his deceased father. A favorite quote: (Amelia) "You had carnal relations with her!"
Lorena
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This one advances the overall Kitty storyline through the eyes of Cormac and his ghostly possessor/partner Amelia. It's interesting to see some of the characters through another set of eyes, as well as to learn a little more about Cormac's background and his developing relationship with Amelia. In the end, though the overarching plot is only advanced a tiny bit, as Cormac performs a service in exchange for the translation to the grimoire Kitty inherited in her last adventure.
Cindy Heaton
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I'm not sure how much this really added to the Kitty Norville world, but I did like it. I think maybe I would have liked it less if I hadn't read Cormac and Amelia's story in the short story book Vaughn put out. I haven't really liked Cormac since Amelia invaded his mind, but this helped me to understand that a little more.

It might have worked better as an outside novel and not something that added to The Long Game scenario.
Debra Monette
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cormac

From the beginning I kinda wanted Cormac and Kitty to be together but Ben and Kitty seem to be better for each. This book is about Cormac and Amelia. Kitty makes a few brief appearances. Cormac has been a great help in gathering information that will help in the long game. Amelia and Cormac go on an adventure, back to where Amelia was found guilty for a murder she did not commit. Next and final "Kitty Saves the World."
Vickie Patton
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not my favorite book of the series.

Carrie Vaughn is a really good writer. I found parts of this book harder to follow. If I hadn't read previous books I would have been totally lost. This character isn't as amusing. Still, it was a good read.
a_tiffyfit
Review to come with the tour in January, but OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. I was psyched for Cormac's book and I loved it! Really well done, good action, good plot, etc. :) *happy sigh*
Ralph
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Vaughn has done a fantastic job of transitioning from Kitty Norville novels to a completely entertaining story using Cormac Bennett as the lead character.
Kara Peterson
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed a book that starred Cormac.
Had the usual fun, charm and if not sass, definite sarcasm.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #54 Low Midnight by Carrie Vaughn 3 4 Apr 02, 2015 08:30AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #37 Low Midnight by Carrie Vaughn 1 2 Feb 05, 2015 07:03PM
Book Title!!!! 1 34 Jan 14, 2014 05:30PM

• The Phoenix Transformed (Enduring Flame, #3)
  • The Phoenix Endangered (Enduring Flame, #2)
  • Alpha (Shifters, #6)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
  • Bitter Bite (Elemental Assassin, #14)
  • Spider's Trap (Elemental Assassin, #13)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Rogue (Shifters, #2)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)
  • Black Widow (Elemental Assassin, #12)
  • Unraveled (Elemental Assassin, #15)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • The Shadow Revolution (Crown & Key, #1)
  • Snared (Elemental Assassin, #16)
Carrie Vaughn is the author more than twenty novels and over a hundred short stories. She's best known for her New York Times bestselling series of novels about a werewolf named Kitty who hosts a talk radio advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged. In 2018, she won the Philip K. Dick Award for Bannerless, a post-apocalyptic murder mystery. Next up for her: two collections connected to the ...more

Kitty Norville (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Kitty Goes to War (Kitty Norville, #8)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)

News & Interviews

“Finding unscented candles was another challenge he never thought he’d have to face. Colors were fine, colors could be useful as elements in various spells. But since meeting Amelia, he’d spent way too much time standing in front of walls of candles labeled with names like “Cranberry Spice” and “Warm Honey.” Christian bookstores and other religious supply shops became their go-to spots to find simple, unadorned, non-scented votive candles. Another deep irony, he observed. If only those kind, wide-eyed women at the cash registers knew what those candles were being used for.” 2 likes
“He was not up to the lecture he’d get from Ben, and he couldn’t call Ben without telling him he was headed to a midnight showdown with Anderson Layne. Not that Kitty wouldn’t lecture him, but the lecture would somehow be easier to take from her. Because you don’t have a lifetime of history with Kitty. When Kitty says you’re being reckless, you tell yourself she doesn’t know what she’s talking about and that she’s just being shrill. When Ben says you’re being reckless, you can’t ignore him because he knows you very, very well. And he’s usually right.” 1 likes