Start by marking “Scars (Passion Shields, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scars (Passion Shields, #1)

Scars

(Passion Shields #1)

She clutches at control to cover her flaws.
He wants to strip her bare because she's beautiful.

Selina Moss hides a secret beneath her controlled happy exterior. Her body is covered in scars and she's never revealed them to anyone. She's not beautiful and she doesn't want pity.
However, it's her wedding night and husband, Benjamin Moss, is determined to strip down her barrier
Published August 1st 2013 by Evernight Publishing (first published July 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scars

Start your review of Scars (Passion Shields, #1)
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
ARC provided through NetGalley for an honest review.

It was okay. I don't know if it's because I'm tired or if I just didn't connect to the material, but it just seemed to fall a little flat for me. Maybe not enough information for me to really understand who these characters are.

Does Benjamin really love Selina? Is he doing all this in hopes that she will fall for him fully and never want to no longer be his wife? I get that she's dong it in hopes it will help her brother, but the rest is v
Katie
ARC received via NetGalley

I didn't enjoy this book very much. I felt like I was left with questions to be answered, and even though there is another book where I am assuming things would be explained, I wouldn't read it. This book just didn't interest me enough.
Romancing the Book
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Victoria
Book provided by Evernight Publishing
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Scars is the first book in the Passion Shields series by Kiru Taye. I chose this book because after reading the summary I wanted to know what happens next.

Selina has a secret she has not shared with anyone. Her new husband has not even seen it yet. She wears a corset to hide what she does not want anyone to see. Selina cannot see beyond the scars to see the beauty that others see when they see
Karinosa
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley-reads
I have not ever heard of this author. So, when I put it in the search box on Goodreads a lot came up.....I was surprised! This was a fast, good, intense, and HoTT read!! I was very pleasantly surprised to say the least. Hot alpha male...the description reminded me of a movie star and read extremely competent! The characters were strong and Selena has a huge obstacle in her past to come. I like how he knows before she even does about what she needs. A good Dom always tries to anticipate his subs ...more
Jennifer Lynne
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always love Kiru Taye's writing and this little gem was no exception. A short read which is great for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of time right now for reading, but still chock full of hot sex and with a romantic storyline that looks set to continue in future instalments. Lust coupled with love is my favourite reading combination, and Scars delivered on both fronts. Kiru writes with such controlled sensuality that I was drawn in to Selina and Benjamin's story from the first page and ...more
Omolara
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Taye Kiru has done well with the start of a series of story(stories) which triggers questions from the reader. Selina has a past which has left her with scars emotionally and physically. Benjamin is determined to help her out. In all cant wait to see how Benjamin and Selina make their marriage work. Lovely series and waiting to read more.
Oluwakemi Babalola
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought Scars was a fantastic book. It's more than just erotica; it's about loving and trusting someone enough to want to help them overcome their past and also putting your total trust in the hands of the another and knowing they won't betray that trust. Thumbs up Kiru. ...more
Abimbola Odusote
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very fast read for me and I just had to know what happened next. Selina came with her past and all these baggage that is yet to be revealed and Benjamin also seems very domineering to me.
I will certainly love to know how their story unfold.
Vicki Ballante
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an intensely passionate, sexy short read. I loved that the heroine was scarred and held back from her love. The relationship was deeply complex and left me wondering what would happen next.
Love Africa Book Club
Maya's Review

Okay. I confess, I've been holding out on reading this book since it came out back last year because I had found out that it was part of a 3 book trilogy following the same characters Benjamin and Selina Moss.

If you follow my reviews, you'll know I'm not a big fan of cliff-hangers especially if I have to wait a very long time before I can read the next book in the series. So what I do is collect the books until I have the complete set before I read them practically back to back.

Well
Felicia
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you don't know the principles of BDSM (like me), it seems as if Selina has made a deal with the devil in the very beginning. Despite the pain, terror and betrayal in her past that still haunts her daily, she agrees to marriage of convenience - her submission in return for her new husband's protection, and getting her brother safely out of Sierra Leone and to the UK.

In the beginning...Selina seems weak and whiny. But as her story unfolds, you realize how strong she really is. Too strong for he
Monica Cullip
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scars
Kiru Taye
Passion Shields
This story was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first installment in this new series. It is a short read at just 42 pages. It is really just an introduction of these characters. And boy what an intro it was. This new husband and wife team seem to so far have alot of depth to them. I am going to be interested in learning more about them as the series progresses.
Benjamin has just married his bride Selina and they are at the wedding reception
Krista Jenks
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Benjamin and Selina are a recently married couple who in a marriage that has very special conditions with it. Benjamin is very much a protector of Selina he will do whatever it takes to keep Selina safe. Even if that includes protecting her from herself. Her fears and memories are what scares her and makes her not want to trust anyone. Benjamin is slowly working to breakdown those barrier and he use multiple forms to get her compliance including sex persuasion and his skills as a dominant.

This w
Tamra LeValley
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
NetGalley Free Book

Selina is dressed to impressed at her wedding to Benjamin. She still hasn't told him or showed him her secret scars. What will happen on their honeymoon when she has to undress and explain?

This book was hot from the get go. The sex scenes were so wonderful and loving. The explaination and the love that is showed to Selina is what all woman would hope for in a husband. Benjamin keeps nothing back when he realizes what has happened to her and loves her more for it.

Although this
Stefani
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, net-galley
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, thank you Evernight Publishing!

Warning: This short story is an erotica and features sexual content including light BDSM.

This little story was delightful. I have never heard of the author previously but I will seek out more of her work now. It was sexy and fun and well put together.

Read the rest of this review at Written Among the Stars
Kelly
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first story by Kiru Taye that I have read. I really enjoyed the story, it was well written. While I am not into the bondage/submission scene, I can understand how some people could be. Kiru helps the reader understand the healing properties behind these actions. This was a short story, but it managed to grab my attention so that I want to learn more about Benjamin and Seline. I would suggest this to anyone that is looking for a short erotic story that is well written.
Tammy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scars is the first book in the new Passion Shields series. I must tell you it is a quick read. Selina has a secret that she has not shared with anyone, including her fiancé. Her body is covered in scars that she hides with a corset, however on her wedding night Benjamin seduces her and finds her secret. Wonderful read the chemistry between these two is so sexy. Just wanted more!
Lauryn King
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ARC received via NetGalley

thatgurlreads.blogspot.com

Scars was a very quick read, but it was well written and enjoyable. I enjoyed the sexual chemistry between Lina and Benjamin. There were a lot of unanswered question, but the answers are probably revealed continuing the series.
Monica **can't read fast enough**

Scars is a perfect example of why I do not generally enjoy short works, especially ones that are under 100 pages, and this one is under 50 pages. There simply is not space for the author to give sufficient background and character development to properly engage the reader with the main characters. All we know from this installment is that Selina and Benjamin are in London, have married under some sort of pre-arranged agreement and have a strong sexual attraction to one another. Although they hav
Bethany-Kris
Selina Moss keeps a firm grip on the things she can control, including what the people around her can see of her. That's about to change and in a big way, considering her husband Ben is all about dominating when it comes to control, and more than anything, wants his wife to bare all. With the scars Selina hides revealed, will he still find her as beautiful as before?

I think it's important to note before anything else, this is a short story that begins a series. There are questions the reader ha
Shelly
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
This novella by Taye is the introduction to her Passion Shields series. It's very short, only about 30 pages (.prc version) of actual story. I read this because the blurb mentioned that Selina has these scars which she's never revealed to anyone including Benjamin. I was intrigued by the concept if the fallout from this particular secret. And what gave her those scars? Was it something done to her or did she do it to herself? And why her wedding night, she's been hiding them this long why reveal ...more
Tania Godwin-evans
Not sure of the point of this book. That said I did read this book in its entirety.

This was a very short novella (at under 50 pages) surely a novella should be more than just 50 pages. It would have been far better if the author had released all the books as just the one. However, releasing these novellas as three pieces is a ploy by the publishers to ensure readers purchase all three novellas at a rather inflated price.

There are so many questions left unanswered. The characters were ill define
Marinda
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a short steamy story about a woman named Selina who is from South Africa and went through the war and is scared in more ways than physically. Benjamin is the man she marries who wants to take care of her and get her brother out of Africa. Selina feels their marriage is an arrangement to benefit them both. Benjamin wants more, he's into BSDM and wants her to submit totally to him. The sex part of this is elegantly written and very steamy. Will she be able to let her past go to make a futu ...more
Mstcat
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-copy
This will be a quick review: Too short, too little character development, and I couldn't seem to make myself care. What the bride asks during the wedding? Umm... No...Totally killed any chance of me ever caring. This is what happens when you throw a reader into a story without any background about what the heck (except what the character tells you). Not my cuppa.
Genelle
Belinda
Sep 05, 2013
Carrie
Oct 18, 2014
A Sexy New IR Romance To Go From Kiru Taye And Evernight Publishing 1 3 Aug 17, 2013 09:13AM
As a lover of romance novels, Kiru wanted to read stories about Africans falling in love. When she couldn’t find those books, she decided to write the stories she wanted to read.

Kiru writes sensual stories featuring African characters whether on the continent or in the Diaspora. When she's not writing you can find her either immersed in a good book or catching up with friends and family. She curre

Passion Shields (3 books)
  • Secrets (Passion Shields, #2)
  • Scores (Passion Shields, #3)

News & Interviews