Start by marking “Finding Poe” as Want to Read:
Finding Poe

Finding Poe

This is an alternate cover edition for FINDING POE: ISBN: 0615626610 (ISBN13: 9780615626611)

When reality and fiction collide, there's no telling what horrors might ensue.

In the wake of her husband's haunted death, one woman must sift through the cryptic clues left behind in order to solve the mystery behind his suicide--all of which point back to the elusive author, Edgar
Published March 18th 2012 by Cerebral Books

To ask other readers questions about Finding Poe, please sign up.
Leigh Lane Dee, I'm sorry I didn't see this question sooner. I've checked this page so many times... my apologies for having missed it for so long.

You might want…more

You might want to familiarize yourself with "The Lighthouse," Poe's unfinished work. If you've never read "A Descent into the Maelström," "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether," "William Wilson," "A Dream Within a Dream," and "The Premature Burial," all might be worth reading before delving into FINDING POE. Thanks for asking!

If I might recommend some of my favorite Poe stories and poems, at the top of my list are "Annabel Lee," "The Cask of Amontillado," "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Black Cat," "The Pit and the Pendulum," and "The Raven." All well known, but all very good. Take care!(less)

Fungi From Yuggoth
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical, Supernatural
Recommended to Fungi From Yuggoth by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Shelves: april-2012-reads
With a delightful early-Victorian flair, this story begins with an English noble Lady, following her husband unwillingly to an isolated, abandoned, lighthouse housed on a small island off the New England coast, surrounded by battering waves and rocky shoals. As if Lady Karina had not already suffered enough “adventure” due to her husband’s poor impulse control, once they move into the Lighthouse, he seems to turn into a madman, and Karina turns into a sleepwalker, a woman who loses her direction ...more
Justin
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book around halloween time and from recommendation from the author. I must say that it certainly has alot of things going on throughout and just when you think you have it figured out another strange plot came in which was confusing but interestingly enough had my attention. The plot was very well played out and I felt as the character did wondering and waiting what would happen next and not knowing but in a good way. It helps to be familiar with some of Poe's works it gives an idea o ...more
Fantastic read. Lover's of Poe that are familiar with his works will find enjoyment in recognizing the numerous and often subtle references to his characters and settings. For those not familiar with Poe's work that may not recognize the literary references, I still recommend this novel. It is well written and full of twists and turns that keep the reader guessing until the very end...a profound end at that. This novel will stay with me for a long time - which to me, means a novel is worthy of a ...more
Alan Place
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends-books
I can recommend this book by my friend Lisa Lane. If you like Poe, this will hold you from the start. The ending is hauntingly written as the reader gets drawn into a series of nightmarish scenes, never knowing what is real or what is a dream.
A very well written story. Well done Lisa, truly haunting.
Jaime Johnesee
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! This is one that I truly believe will stand the test of time. The author not only captures the essence of Edgar Allan Poe but also a bit of his style.

If you haven't read it yet, pick it up. It's a definite must read.
L.A. Matthies
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

Reviewed for The Masquerade Crew:

Finding Poe is a quite a fascinating piece of work. The title page has a subtitle which reads A Tale of Inspiration and Horror; well, I can agree one hundred percent with the horror piece of that puzzle. I dare any of you to find a smidgen of inspiration anywhere ...LOL! Okay, if you happen to be a writer you might find some inspiration from Ms. Lane's writing style which I found to be exceptionally good.

What I loved: I have always been fascinated with E
Masquerade Crew
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
WALKI'S REVIEW

Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe, Leigh M. Lane wrote this novel with talent. I am not familiar with Poe's work, but I found the writer's choice interesting. Leigh M. Lane takes the readers for a wild ride through twists and turns developed with rhythm and style.

The Lady Karina of Norland and her husband Brantley have come to live in the Burnswatch lighthouse just off the east US shore, in an attempt to escape a scandal. Soon, following Karina's train of thoughts, the reader starts ques
M.L. Roos
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leigh M. Lane has managed to create a unique tale that involves many elements of stories and poems written by Edgar Allan Poe including The Black Cat, A Descent into the Maelstrom, Masque of the Red Death, The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether, The Raven, The Lighthouse and A Dream Within a Dream.

Brilliant tale about Karina, a noble born woman, who's husband moves her away from everything she has ever known to live in an isolated lighthouse. While there, Karina starts seeing things and
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first sentence of this book your mind is held captive by the astounding writing held within the pages.

Lady Karina is filled with sadness as her husband Brantley not only takes her away from the life she knows and loves but takes her away to a place that takes away her sanity. Between the nightmares and the mental abuse she goes through you can not help but feel her pain.

If you want to send your mind into a whirlwind of horror, terror and fear this book is just what you need!!! I am
Michael J. Toro
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-suspense
An oftentimes fascinating, oftentimes hilarious, descent into mystery and suspense. Lane has created something of a Poe-inspired burlesque in a tale strewn with allusions to the author's themes/ characters. The story tends to sag at several points, and seems a bit ludicrous, but is still a thoroughly absorbing read. However, readers unfamiliar with Poe's works may not appreciate this quite original literary diversion.
Yoshay Lama Lindblom
"I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?"

This paragraph for Edgar Allan Poe's poem A Dream Within a Dream surmises for this engaging narrative.
Mark Lewis
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the second book by Ms. Lane that I have read. IT will NOT be the last. I swear she must have channeled Edgar Allen Poe for this book, the writing style was definitely evocative of his writing. Madness prevails throughout the book. The only reason I gave it 4 stars, as opposed to 5, is that is somewhat slow to start, but certainly picks up. Very worth the read!
Paula Cappa
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book immensely: well written and suspenseful. There seems to be an experience in reading this story, not just absorbing plot and characters, and if you are a Poe fan, you will find it fascinating. I found the ending a bit vague but still satisfying. Poe was such a madman in his work and this certainly comes through in this story. Book cover captured me; quite mysterious.
Ruth Ann
Finding Poe was temporarily a free kindle download with promises that Edgar Allen Poe fans would like it. The story contains several dreams within dreams that you find yourself wondering what is the "real" story. Gothic elements and aspects of many of Poe's stories are throughout the book. Quick, summer read.
Bunny
** Originally posted on www.bunnycates.com **

294925_10150815280029467_397379605_n

My Thoughts:

I'm not really sure how much I can say in my review of Finding Poe by Leigh M Lane, without spoiling the book for those who haven’t read it yet. It is just one of those books where if you accidently say too much… there is no point for the other person to read it.  So, with that being said, what CAN I say?

This story follows Karina a lady who, leaves her home country and social status, comes to the

Victoria
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
From the first few lines I was drawn into a nightmare, as the story continues I never knew what was real or a dream. I got quite confused at some points such is the atmospheric and haunting elements the author Leigh M. Lane is able to evoke with her writing.

When I finally finished I had to give myself a shake to reacclimatise myself to reality, I was so engrossed I forgot where I was!

I was quite surprised at the odd gore moment too.

Having never read Poe, other than A tell tale heart back in sch
Lori Lopez
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Gothic Horror and Edgar Allan Poe, Leigh M. Lane's tale of "Finding Poe" captured my imagination like a brooding canvas of darkness and intense highlights. I very much relished its haunting and grim tone, as well as the events that keep the reader wondering. Richly drawn, this is a book that will transport you through time back to the days of Poe. Lane manages to capture the period and setting in which her plot takes place with deftly accurate strokes, as she blends her own horror st ...more
Aftan
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely fantastic! While it is not a book I would normally have picked up on my own I am so happy I did! I have been converted to a Poe reader and gothic novel fan I think. I went camping this weekend and took the book with me. I found myself on more than one occasion snuggled by the fire with my nose in the book only to emerge to share a paragraph of detail.

The book was a wild ride that reminded me a lot of Shutter Island with twists and turns that made me guess what reality is
Keith Milstead
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is truly a thrilling Gothic tale with a touch of Poe as it takes the reader into the travails of a man and his wife forced to leave the comfort of royalty into a life of fear and horror. I have always loved the tales of Edgar Allen Poe and Leigh has channeled the author and poet into her own dark tale that will keep you turning pages until you finish in one sitting. Highly recommend this beautifully written piece of art if you like the feel of goose pimples and things that go bump in the da ...more
Carol
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely unique. Starting with the beat, beat, beat of a drum that I felt deep inside my very being, I found myself walking along the edge of insanity. Dreams, horror, fear, murder, guilt, and then revenge all tie the story together. I kept asking myself why I kept reading. I just HAD to reach the end.
Karen Patterson
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay - this may not be for everyone but if you are fan of Poe's work you will appreciate for exactly what it is: a demented, mad, crazy story, but one that will have you riveted like a train wreck you can't stop watching.
Terry West
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The prose floats from a haunted dream. Extremely dark and stylish work from Leigh Lane. An absolute must have for any Poe fan. This is Lane's love letter to a master of darkness, and it is crafted superbly. I am a fan.
Tom Walsh
I read this in one day. The author chooses an innocent wife, caught in a maelstrom in the 19th century to root into Poe's characters and plots. The plot is very clever and the writing very literary. The only problem is a bit too much mix between dreams and reality, but it is worth the effort.
Shana
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via Goodreads First reads. If you enjoy Poe, you will like this book. It's a very unique read, well written with nightmarish scenes. It's difficult to tell what is reality or dream.

Erik Gustafson
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This well-written page turner kept me enraptured from beginning to end. Both haunting and mesmerizing, this is one journey you won't want to miss. I am a fan for sure!
Barbara
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good story. Had me riveted the entire time. A little disappointed with the ending though, hence the 4 instead of 5 stars.
Sandi Jeunesse
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly wonderful book. Highly recommended.
Patrick
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I've read from Ms. Lane, excellent, don't ime too review right now but highly recommend.
Marguerite Czajka
I really enjoyed this book. I read about it since I love Poe, but often fictional works about real people leave me cold. This one was a good mix of storytelling and referencing Poe.
Andrea
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! An unreliable narrator that leads you on a twisting, turning dark tale that interescts with many elements of Poe's work. It is enteretaining and fast paced. It is simply awesome!
Goodreads Librari...: Adding Second Printing Cover 3 27 Mar 15, 2013 12:02PM
Did FINDING POE Leave You Stumped? Read These Clues.... 1 7 Feb 13, 2013 03:45PM
THE JAMES MASON C...: Hi! My name is Leigh! 1 2 Nov 18, 2012 12:55PM

• Inside the Outside
  • The Night Library
  • Hellbender
  • Days of Vengeance
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • The Beautiful Evil
  • Cicada
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Paskagankee (Paskagankee #1)
  • Nephilim Genesis of Evil
  • Speculation
  • The Necro Device
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • One Blood
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • Aberrations
In addition to writing dark speculative fiction for over twenty-five years, Leigh M. Lane has sung lead and backup vocals for bands ranging from classic rock to the blues, dabbled in fine arts, and earned a black belt in karate. She has a BA in English and graduated from UNLV Magna Cum Laude. She currently lives in the dusty outskirts of Sin City with her husband, an editor and educator, and one v ...more