Start by marking “How to Negotiate Everything” as Want to Read:
How to Negotiate Everything

How to Negotiate Everything

There’ll be no more hearing “no” after this clever picture book teaches you how to get everything you want.

Have you ever wanted something and been told “No”? Then this is the book for you. Through several simple steps, you will learn the best way to ask for what you want, how to ask for more of what you want, and the importance of not overreaching. With helpful illustratio
Published May 21st 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2012)

Lisa Vegan
I love Lisa Lutz’s Spellman books; I enjoyed Heads You Lose and all the Spellman books are among my favorite books, and I’m eagerly looking forward to the next installment, coming out next month.

I knew about this picture book well in advance and, knowing its place in the Spellman books, thought the idea was inspired.

However, I’m disappointed.

First of all, I guess I was expecting a parody or something geared to adults, not a book published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, although
Robb Michael g
Jun 03, 2013 Robb Michael g rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book but I'm having trouble seeing it as a children's book. I don't have any children to read this, so I'd like to know what children think of it. On the one hand it seems to me, children would like the idea of a child wanting an elephant. They might also like the idea of getting dessert even if they don't eat their broccoli. On the other hand I don't think the concept of negotiating for something really fits within the 32 pages of this book. Add to that the additional idea of settin ...more
Jen
Jun 22, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb
This book is for children who are 6 going on 30. While I appreciate some of the definitions of words and the education in the fine art of negotiating, the undertone is that you can manipulate people. Mom's face is never shown, the back of her head is shown twice. Mom is called "a mark" and thus separated from personhood as an object.
I do appreciate that mom is shown doing several different activities, one of those being working under the car. I also appreciate that the book tells kids which thin
Sandra
Jun 10, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Fun and Irreverent how to negotiate from a child's point of view. I love Lutz's biting wit and it translates well in this quirky children's book. I will use this book as a fun resource when I train Adults on the art of negotiating.
Libby
I will read this book only if eventually, before I die I can have a pet baby elephant.

What? Elephants aren't allowed in apartments? Well then maybe I need to start by negotiating for some land...

Okay. I'll settle for a pet turtle. For now.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
This was a hilarious little book that compliments the 5th Spellmans book (which because I had an ARC didn't have the drawings in). Also, gives insight into Rae...
Becky
Jan 03, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok
I thought the concept of this book was wonderful - teach kids to negotiate for what they want. Maybe if the leaders of the future learned real negotiation (i.e. give and take; compromise), maybe the Congress might be able to get something done!

But this was not to be. The book promises that "You CAN get everything you want," but then the next section talks about "managing expectations" - in other words, only want what you can get. This is an idea that many adults have difficulty with. This is the
Jason Sharp
First of all, I love the illustrations, it's childlike and has almost a Chibi style. I also love the concept of the book, but it's a bit lacking in execution, the book is effectively teaching young children to manipulate their parents.

Early on, the child says "I will not eat any vegetables at all unless you promise that you will take me to get ice cream" and the mother agrees. I'm not a parent quite yet, but even I know that this is setting a dangerous precedent. It's unlikely to work but if it
Margi
Jan 03, 2015 Margi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the Spellman Series get a taste of How to Negotiate Everything in the series’ fifth installment, Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz. Written by fictional character, David Spellman, this children’s book is hilarious entertainment for all ages. The adorable story and illustrations deliver valuable life lessons: don’t have tantrums, don’t be a crybaby, dare to dream, and utilize effective negotiation tactics to get what you want.
Glen U
Jun 23, 2015 Glen U rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this "childrens" picture book could only be enjoyed by a child with an IQ above 140. It is clever and funny and colorful with great illustrations but the vocabulary is a little advanced for a six year old. That being said, it is a very enjoyable aside of anyone who appreciates Lisa Lutz's writing. I can picture Izzy Spellman, or even better Rae Spellman, curled up in a corner reading this book as a child. Wonderful addition to the Spellman series.
Marcie
I like the concept of this book, but am not sure I like the execution at all. I guess teaching kids how to negotiate successfully is definitely something I want to see, but this books seems all about negotiations for the materialistic and self serving stuff. I'm sure I'm taking it too seriously, but it just didn't turn me on.
Peacegal
Jun 05, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Children are presented with the idea of rationally negotiating for what they want, rather than just pitching a fit.

Humane-minded families probably won't be so thrilled when the young protagonist visits a pet shop that sells puppies, and is purchased a turtle that he doesn't even want.

Kate Hastings
Age??? I love the concept of this book, but I don't think the average child would know how to manage expectations for what they can or cannot ask for. However, I do like the idea of having kids think about what other people want as a way of problem solving and compromise. Ultimately this is a book without an audience.
Amy
Oct 24, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, nf
Stink! This book could've been great but why oh why did they illustrate it with such a small child? This book is geared towards at least a 2nd grader and they are showing a toddler in the main role. This will turn-off older kids and loose the very reader it is meant for.
Great text, cool idea--bummer.
Ivy
Aug 06, 2013 Ivy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
This book is hilarious. It is a must read for parents, but be careful when allowing your child to read it or you may be outwitted. However, if you raise a skilled negotiater you could have that ever helpful laywer in the family. Lisa Lutz did a great job. A wonderful picture book. I will be requesting it for our school library.
Tara Choate
Amusing with an effort to keep the joke kid-friendly. I can imagine reading parts to an actual child. Think authors could have gone further with the actual idea of negotiation and keeping emotions in check. Elephant idea was too much.
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it really liked it
An amusing picture book for future business moguls! Talk about expanding one's vocabulary: negotiate, persistent, overreaching, and rational are all explained and illustrated in a way that I think most kids would get!
Kim
Aug 26, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very cute idea. i did not listen to it but the story was very funny. i'm wondering if it would be able to stand on its own though. i don't know if it's funny if you haven't read the spellman books.
Bethe
Jul 09, 2013 Bethe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bookaday #59. Not sure who the audience is for this book - a picture book version for adults wanting quick tips for negotiation? Kids learning how to negotiate with parents/adults? Goony illustrations to boot!
Penny McGill
Very funny to read aloud to my girls. There was a little too much good advice on negotiating - I'm sure I'll regret letting them in on some of these tactics - but this is also a book that will give any adult some good information and it's wonderfully funny.
Kelsey Bates
Jan 23, 2014 Kelsey Bates rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Such a funny book for kids about negotiating. With lessons on "managing expectations" and "overreaching" as well as a glossary with words such as "mark", this book is fun for both parents and children! Keep an eye out for the little turtle, one of my favorite characters!
Jocelyn
Nov 24, 2013 Jocelyn rated it really liked it
Teaching your children how and when to negotiate and when "the ask" is just too big - HILARIOUS. I think we all want our own pet elephant; am i right? It actually is good for kids who need help understanding how to properly react when the answer to every question seems to be "No!"
Beverly
Oct 13, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting way to give kids advice on how to negotiate, including advice on what is worth negotiating for and what is not. Comical digitally created illustrations.
Beth
Jul 30, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
This was really fun. Kids are going to LOVE this (although it may put some not-so-great ideas in their heads!).
Deb
Sep 22, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Where was this book when I wanted a pet elephant and each parent agreed only if I kept it at the others house?
Nancy
Great book that will help kids learn the meaning of the words "overreach" "negotiate" and "mark". I'm looking forward to one of the followup books mentioned at the end: "That's enough out of you"
Corina
Sep 18, 2015 Corina rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Who's the parent in this book? It should not be the child. If you want to teach a kid how to negotiate, show examples of him negotiating with his friends/peers/classmates, NOT his parents.
Becky
Jun 20, 2013 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The book David Spellman wrote for Rae in the Spellman Files.
I expected the book to be a little longer, but other than that it is as expected. Cute.
Dolly
Feb 10, 2015 Dolly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Huh.

I get the humor in this story, but seriously? Do kids need a book to tell them to make demands, wheedle, and negotiate over eating vegetables.
Jennifer Brown
Cute book. Not too sure a kid would really understand too much of the concept, but seeing how it was written by a "lawyer", I wouldn't expect anything more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Only Opal
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • Let's Make Some Great Art
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Line 135
  • Train to Somewhere
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • I Love You, Nose! I Love You, Toes!
  • Isabel Spellman's Guide to Etiquette: What is Wrong with You People
  • The Midnight Library
  • A Little Book of Sloth
  • The Lost (and Found) Balloon
  • Mr. Ferris and His Wheel
Lisa Lutz is the New York Times bestselling author of the six books in the Spellman series, How to Start a Fire, Heads you Lose (with David Hayward), and the children's book, How to Negotiate Everything (illustrated by Jaime Temairik). Her latest book, The Passenger, a psychological thriller, will be published March 2016 by Simon and Schuster. Lutz has won the Alex award and has been nominated for ...more
More about Lisa Lutz...