Start by marking “Aesop's Fables” as Want to Read:

Aesop's Fables

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

Touched with passion, humor, & life, here are Aesop's wonderful animals & the messages of their feats & foibles, illustrated in beautiful full-color paintings. Includes "The Fox & the Grapes," "The Hare & the Tortoise," others. 10" x 13". All ages

Brad Sneed brings his zany and creative talen
Published August 9th 2004 by Dial Books for Young Readers (first published September 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Aesop's Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aesop's Fables

Veronica Baldwin
Aesop's Fables is comprised of many fables which are stories that can teach you a moral lesson. In my lifetime I have heard famous fables such as The Tortoise and The Hare and The Boy Who Cried Wolf, but I chose this book because it was filled with mostly fables that I wasn't familiar with. These fables are mainly stories that include 2 animals: a predator and a prey. It tells you a story and the actions of the animals and teaches you what good morals you need to have. Two of the morals that rea ...more
Royce B
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good because the fables had meanings at the end. I reading age would probably be 4th grade and up. There were many fables such as The Gnat and the Bull and The Tortoise and the Eagle. What other fables will be in this book? Read the book to find out.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of Aesop fables with unique illustrations!
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books-read
A selection of Aesop's fables with excellent illustrations.
Brandi S
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book with brilliant illustrations. Obviously, it is a collection of fables, so it incorporated animals to teach moral lessons and demonstrate universal truths; however, it did include some that I was not familiar with. For example, in "The Stag and the Pool," we learn to appreciate the plain and practical. This lesson is taught by introducing a stag as he was admiring his beautiful set of antlers in the water's reflection while wishing aloud that his long, lean legs were nearly a ...more
Illustrated by Brad Sneed. Pros: A great collection of Aesop's famous fables. Beautifully illustrated. At the end of each fable, the moral of the story is clearly stated. Con: Each fable is put onto one page, so alot of them are very long with only one illustration to go with each story. Spreading the fable out among several pages would help some of the younger readers/listeners be able to follow the story better.
Kathryn Sample
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
This book is a wonderful retelling of classic folktales. The illustrations really caught my eye from cover to cover. I enjoy that at the end of each short story is the moral plain and clear. It really allows for people of all ages to understand the reason behind the story and how it applies to life.
Jaime Contreras
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, classic
I heard my first Aesop fable when i was 8 and have loved these teaching tales ever since. I sat down and read this and was taken, again, by the tales with a moral. Honesty, love, anger, greed, gluttony, joy and hope are among some of the lessons taught here. the most beautiful aspect is that the lessons are taught through colorful and inventive tales. Read this!
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is consisted of a collection of short stories that teach life lessons. One story that is pretty well known is that of The Tortoise and the Hare. The moral of the story is that slow and steady wins the race.
Holly Sandefer
Aesop's fables are short tales with great morals. Each tale is written in a story format with a moral provided at the end. This collection would be a nice addition while trying to teach students about specific life skills.

This book is appropriate for any grade.
Tori Stockton
I loved every fable in this book. What I really liked about this book was that the message of the story was put at the bottom of each page. I also really loved the illustrations. There are a lot of lessons that could be learned from this book.
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Aesop's Fables and this particular version has fabulous pictures to go along with the classic tales.
A charming retelling in modern language of 15 of Aesop's tales. Each tale takes just a single page with a single illustration.

A great introduction to these tales for young readers.
Miss  greatest
this is a good book it teaches a lot of life lessons
Richard Guinn
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. A little different than I remember.

Retold and illustrated by Brad Sneed.
Sarah Snyder
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folk
This book was not my favorite. I liked how the fables were short. The illustrations were ok as well.
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Wonderful illustrations, but I didn't really like the insertion of modern slang into the fables.
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-grade, fables
Aesop's Fables are great moral stories.
Good illustrations
Linda Lipko
What a humorous spin the author gives to animals, rendering them human like. The illustrations are also lovely.
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice compilation of fables with their morals plainly listed below.
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is written in contempory language and is such a treat. It is well written and beautifully illustrated.
Emily Hamstra
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides many retelling's of Aesop's Fables. These fables include "a moral of the story" which is a great way to discuss it with children at the end. It's an easy introduction to Aesop.
Erica Hendrickson
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: folklore
Each story is about a paragraph with the moral stated at the end.
Sharlet Mullen
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
this books pictures are very dark. there is a wonderful message at the end of each fable. "Be careful what you wish for" "no act of mercy, however small, is ever wasted"
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very cute!!
Sarah M.
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This as a lot of stories that have different themes. This stories are ones that I've heard going up in many different ways. The book can be repeatedly throughout the year with a classroom.
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
A book with meaningful messages. A great addition for the classroom.
Aug 21, 2012