Start by marking “Ace of Hearts (DECK of CARDZ, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ace of Hearts (DECK of CARDZ, #1)

Ace of Hearts

(Deck of Cardz #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Shevaughn Robinson is investigating an especially gruesome case which emerges into serial murders. The story evolves as she follows murder after murder trying to solve the case, not realizing the murderer is a man who not only becomes obsessed with death, but obsessed with her.
Published July 3rd 2009 by PHE Ink - Writing Solutions Firm (first published July 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ace of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ace of Hearts

Shawnette
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shawnette by: one of my girlfriends
Heart Stopping Romantic Thriller

This is a surprisingly enticing debut novel by Mrs. Jean Holloway. This book takes you on a HIGHLY charged emotional rollercoaster ride! It is a FRIGHTENINGLY suspense-filled, romantic murder mystery with LOADS of heart stopping twist and turns that will keep you turning the pages until the very end. I must thank one of my girlfriends for recommending this book, because had she not I would have missed this thrilling ride. The characters were quite engaging. The st
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Ace of Hearts by Jean Holloway was a great read it kept me going from page one. I was shocked at first when I discovered what the predator of the story was doing to his victims. This story was different, and it was hard to believe it was written 25 years ago. It kept me engrossed from page one. I would say this story was exciting, steamy, creative and fun to read. I recommend this book to all who loves a great mystery I can't wait for the sequel.

NDEA B
AAMBC Reviewer
OOSA
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Obsession

"Ace of Hearts" begins in the early 80's where readers meet the first black woman detective in Portsborough, New York, Shevaughn Robinson. While listening to Tony O'Brien, a reporter, tell her how he would like to interview her, Shevaughn catches her first case. Mulling over the facts of the gruesome details of the first murder, several others, fitting the same MO, seem to be stacking up on her desk and void are any clues or breaks that will allow Shevaughn the big break that is needed
Jean Holloway
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone who loves emotional roller coaster rides
Recommended to Jean by: I'm the author, what can I say? Check out my profile.
Well, I would have given myself 5 stars, but there's always room for improvement. All I can say is read the reviews. I promise to grab you & take you on a ride down memory lane with some twist and turns.
Ace of Hearts was a 2008 Best Mystery finalist by the African American Literary Awards Show and 2009 Best New Author nominee by AAMBC!

What a rush! ;o)

FYI: July 3, 2009 is the release date of the sequel, "Black Jack".
Bobbie  Crawford
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Ace of Hearts,
Written By: Jean Holloway
Published By: FireFly Publishing & Entertainment, 2007, First Edition, 252 pages, paperback, ISBN 978-0-9774126-6-2

“Ace of Hearts is a sensual, erotic thriller and a captivating read that won’t disappoint!”BCM

At the age of thirty-one, Detective Shevaughn Robinson is finally being promoted to the Homicide Division of the 23rd precinct in Portsborough, New York.
As a black, female detective in the police force in 1981, Shevaughn has to keep her ‘game fac
Sheri
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Move over King there is a new Queen in town, and her name is Jean Holloway! Ace of Hearts was an all night read. I could not put it down. Shevaughn Robinson is a great character, someone whom you would love to have as a friend. Jean gets into the mind of a killer with frightening reality! I anticipate her next book! I highly reccomend this book to readers who love suspense and thrills! Goodreads, only allows five stars, I would have rated this a perfect 10!
Justine L2r
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This story does not have a happy ending.
T.L. James
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is an awesome serial thriller. There are some many twists and turns. It is well written scenes that makes you feel like you are in the midst of the battle.

-TL
Jen Knox
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked the characters. There was nothing overly polished or bland about them; they were ordinary people, believable. I also appreciated the fact that Holloway was able to weave in a bit of social commentary.
I have to say that I was jarred by pacing, which largely explains my three star rating. There were vague descriptions and the action moved fast, albeit with many surprising twists.
This is definitely a plot-driven story, and I read very few such works so I am, undoubetly biased. I tend to fa
Readers In Motion
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jean Holloway thrusts you back into the 80’s before criminal profiling and DNA were used solve crimes. At a time when it took hard work and gut instincts to take down your suspect. In this fast paced thriller, you meet Detective Shevaughn Robinson, just recently assigned to the homicide division and with less than twenty four hours on the job she has her first murder.

This one act leads to a series of murders setting in motion a thrilling cat and mouse game between Det. Robinson and the killer. I
KC Girlfriends Book Club
Jun 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ace of Hearts takes you on a journey of suspense and also engages you into a budding romance as well. Jean Holloway takes you on a roller coaster ride full of intrigue from the beginning by placing you into the thoughts of a serial killer. Ms. Holloway also tells the story of a budding romance with Shavaugn, the lead detective on this sinister murder case.

If you're looking for a great suspense novel...look no more! Read Ace of Hearts! You'll definitely want you read the sequel and make room on
Dana
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, seekers of suspense, and anyone loving a good read.
Recommended to Dana by: Jean Holloway
Jean doesn't disappoint...

"Ace of Hearts" was featured on Nia Virtual Book Tours, and as the coordinator I jumped in...not knowing that this book was not meant for scary little ole me.

Yes, you read correctly, “scary.” But my slight fear didn’t stop the pages from turning. And I believe you too will do the same.

Get a copy today!

Dana
Nia Promotions
Nia Promotions
Jean Holloway
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is the new & improved version of the original. I learned that sometimes U should follow your instincts. PHE Ink, my new publisher allowed me to add 60 pages, revise, re-edit and I'm VERY pleased.
Hope U R 2.Jean Holloway
Dorienne
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novel very much, I finished the book in a couple of days as I couldn't stop turning the pages to find out what happened next.
A.O. Peart
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:
Detective Shevaughn Robinson is investigating a series of gruesome murders unaware that the killer is not only becoming obsessed with death, but also with her!

My take on this story:
Ace of Hearts can be classified as a romantic murder mystery or even an erotic thriller. Jean Holloway’s debut novel took me on an amazingly fast ride. More than once I couldn’t put Ace of Hearts down and read until late at night. This author knows how to keep a reader enticed! She kept me on my toes through
Adrienna
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Adrienna by: Jean Holloway, Dana Pittman's Nia Promotions
What a book, I really dont know what to label this book as adult/crime thriller, but was told it is an erotic thriller. Yes, the scenes in the book is a sense of erotica sexisentinel and mesmerizing! Her book definitely captivated my curiousity!

Detective Shevaughn Robinson is investigating a major case of a serial killer, Ace of Hearts, and meets him one on one, where she almost loses her own dear life. She lost the man of her dreams, white newsreporter, Tony O'Brien. He swept her off her feet,
Cheryl
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Well, I found this author here on Goodreads. I could not get this book from MELCAT so I went ahead and bought it. I am so glad I did. Once I started reading this book, it was hard for me to put it down when I had to! It was full of murder, suspense, and sex.

Detective Shevaughn Robinson was really a character that I felt like I got to know. She was on the case of the murders and really had a hard time with the gore on the scene of the first murder. Also in the book is Tony O'Brien. He is a report
Dream 4 More Reviews
What a book, I really don't know what to label this book as adult/crime thriller, but was told it is an erotic thriller. Yes, the scenes in the book is a sense of erotica sexi-sentinel and mesmerizing! Her book definitely captivated my curiosity!

Detective Shevaughn Robinson is investigating a major case of a serial killer, Ace of Hearts, and meets him one on one, where she almost loses her own dear life. She lost the man of her dreams, white news reporter, Tony O'Brien. He swept her off her feet
Buzz Malone
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ace of Hearts
I just began Ace of Hearts this evening on kindle. I can tell you that as a writer myself, I am wowed by the eh...shall we say...'testicular fortitude' of Jean Holloway's style. I mean, I have to respect a woman who is brave enough to begin her first novel so boldly. In a past life, I spent ten years as a construction worker who couldn't complete a sentence without multiple vulgarities emerging...and Holloway has made me blush several times in only the first few chapters! It is not
Margeaux Laurent
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ace of Hearts is a well written story that explores a range of human emotions and experiences. The characters are complex and true to life. Holloway provides her readers with in depth character development and explores a broad range real life issues. From the struggles of a strong willed woman to excel at a career in a man's world, to the beauty of finding true love and overcoming boundaries, to the psychological analysis of how a man transforms into a serial killer. Jean Holloway takes her read ...more
Nanci Arvizu
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: page-readers
Jean is an incredibly talented story teller, who writes from her heart. Not only is she an inspiration to want-to-be authors, she is an incredible woman. I had the honor to interview Jean on my Blog Talk Radio Show, Page Readers. Listen in at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/page-rea...

The only thing I regret about this show is that we didn't talk long enough! As we got into discussing the book, I realized that to discuss any of it, would give it all away! She has written three books that all tie in
Sam J
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing

I have had an opportunity to acquaint this outstanding Book Author and I must say that she has an impeccable gift of literary anointing and I am honored to know her.

"Ace of Hearts" is an extreme MASTER PIECE created by Mrs. Holloway and I encourage all whom love a GOOD READ to get all of her novels including her latest audiobook.

I give it 50 thumbs up and HATS OFF TO YOU FOR SUCH A FINE WORK.

Respectfully Submitted,

S. J.
Sonia
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
01/30/2011
This was a thrilling read! I felt connected to Robinson and I felt her anger, happiness, and sadness right a long with her. She is a strong woman who overcame. Ace of Hearts will take you on a roller coaster ride into the mind of a serial killer, his victims, and Det. Robinson, who is hell bent on catching him before he strikes again.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, suspense
This book was much better than I expected. It is set in 1980 and the only thing that I do not know for sure if it is a true fact is if 911 was in effect. It was the early 80's but not sure if it was that early. but the reference was at the end so it really doesn't matter.

overall a good book and the relationship between Von and Tony moved rather fast, but it worked for the book.
Sheila Jackson
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Ace of Hearts kept me in suspense. Jean Holloway does an excellent job of capturing your attention. I recommend, The Ace of Hearts, especially if you love mystery, murder, and mayhem.
Author G D  Grace
An amazing author from the stables of PHE Ink Publishing, she'll be on "A Touch of Grace" Friday, 6/17/2011 at 11AM
Arya Stark
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
A great book
Beebe Love
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
awesome...I could not put it down...
Brooklyn Darkchild
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • Second Chances
  • Love Found Me
  • Practicing What You Preach (The Blessed Trinity Series, #4)
  • When Memories Fade (Victory Gospel Series, #2)
  • Unscrambled Eggs
  • Con Test: Double Life
  • The Day Begins with Christ
  • The World at War (The Apocalypse, #2)
  • Reason Reigns
  • Women of Magdalene
  • Sin and Vengeance
  • Who Is He to You
  • The Keeper of the Stones (Jake West, #1)
  • Hit List
  • Losing Kei
  • Murder on the Down Low
  • A Love for Tomorrow (Second Chance At Love #3)
I was born October 10, 19** in good ole Queens, New York. I had a difficult childhood because I developed severe eczema and most of my schoolmates shunned me until high school. Books became my friend.
Early in life, I found myself fascinated by the macabre. I would actually set my alarm if one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock, Rod Serling or One Step Beyond episodes was coming on late at night. The

Deck of Cardz (4 books)
  • Black Jack (DECK of CARDZ, #2)
  • Deuces Wild (DECK of CARDZ, #3)
  • Full House (DECK of CARDZ, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Christmas Caramel Murder (Hannah Swenson, #20)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon