Start by marking “Barely Surviving (Surviving, #1)” as Want to Read:
Barely Surviving (Surviving, #1)

Barely Surviving

(Surviving #1)

“He was captivating, scorching hot and wickedly tempting. The epitome of power and strength encased in the body of an angel and he had possessed me. Need for him coursed through my veins white hot and I had been incomprehensively burned”

Our connection had been instant, intense and all consuming, seriously unexplainable to most, but crystal clear to us.

Jonah Jacobson was t
Kindle Edition, Original Edition, 227 pages
Published July 29th 2013 by Courtney Cross (first published April 13th 14)

To ask other readers questions about Barely Surviving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barely Surviving

Janna ♥ I'm A Sweet And Sassy Book Whore ♥
4.5 stars!

This review will also post at www.mysecretromancebookreviews.com

Ava is barely surviving through her life as she tries to move on from that horrific night when things for her will never be the same again. She survived physically but emotionally she is shut down. She has no need for emotions, especially love. Why would she, no one has ever showed her what love should be. For her, it made her life a living hell. All she has known is pain in one form or the other. She can be a major bitch,
Danielle ⚾️ (Danielle's Escape)

Love this cover~

photo 03A3E546-34D7-4686-8882-B4B5E79214A6_zpsnelkqn50.jpg

photo D135F141-C832-4735-AADC-D8DD6EF98EB3_zpsql47ehxw.jpg
Steph
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so overwhelmed by this book – it was one of the best that I have read! I only hope that this review can do it justice! First, the writing was lyrical, poetic, and a joy to read. The prologue allows us to view the aftermath of the brutal attack of 18 year old Savannah Mae Matthews (Ava) by her stepfather Alex. As a result of this attack and her life experiences, she attempts suicide. Chapter 1 begins with her life, four years after her failed attempt. After being summoned to the law offices ...more
Maria
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intense, emotional read. Ava's childhood was far from perfect, ending in the worst possible way on her 18th birthday. Escaping from the brutality of her step father she leaves the states to go to London. Four years later emotionally closed off and surviving day to day things come to a head for her when the lawyers come out and inform her of Alex's, her step father, death. Tied in with the god-like man in charge of helping her with her estate, Ava is at a loss for what to do with her inheritance, ...more
Claire
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book captivated me from the 1st page. This writing style is excellent and a joy to read. I truly couldn't out it down.

Ava is a fighter. Struggling to 'live' after a hard childhood she is shocked to find herself completely in lust with the forthright, demanding and hotter than lava, Jonah.

Jonah is hotter than hot. Powerful, dominating, demanding. When he wants, he gets, and he wants Ava.

He encapsulates her, as much as she tries to fight it, until she is broken down, laid bare and revealing
Shavana BeanieBrain Merrick
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tour
I was given this book by author for honest review. After living through the worst that can happen Savannah Mae Matthews, Ava, moves to London and gets on with life. Only she’s not. She blends and has closed herself off except for a good friend she goes through her day trying not to feel to much for anything. Meet Jonah Jacobson, a lawyer, who request her to come to his offices to settle an inheritance. He too is closed off emotionally but for some unknown reason they can’t seem to get enough of ...more
Judy
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an arc in exchange for an honest review.

First off, let me say WOW! The beginning started off with a bang of a revelation. One hell of a start to a story.

Unfortunately it got a little slow for me after that. I wasn't THAT into it. Not sure what, but there was something missing.

THEN, things got a little steamy, a little heated, feelings were shared, secrets were revealed, and a huge bomb was dropped!!!! UGH, poor Ava!!

I'm SO glad I continued on because I was not disappointed
Rayney
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it had a compelling story line as well as being very raunchy and the characters being really likeable. I literally could not put it down and read it in 2 days!! I can't wait for the sequel, come of Courtney get writing!! Just brilliant.
Deb Dee (autumn delaney)
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, alpha-male
FOUR SOLID STARS

Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Awesome, awesome prologue! I loved it! It was gripping and it makes you want to read faster know more yet you also want to read slower to savor it.

However, I cant believe it's a cliff hanger! I was kinda dreading the end because I can feel that I have to wait to know what happens next to Ava and Jonah.

AVA

"I was tired of barely surviving. I laso knew that I had to stay connected to Jonah to embrace life fully and at last begin to l
Teresa Gomez
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all, This book was HOT, HOT, HOT! The attraction between the two main characters, Jonah and Ava are unbelievable. I loved reading about them. I couldn't put the book down. The relationship between Jonah and Ava was so hot and cold. Ava didn't want to let Jonah into her life fully because she was afraid of how her life would change. Every time that Jonah started to get close Ava would push him out and he was getting tired of it.

Ava had a really horrible life up until she turned 18 and mo
Lustful Literature
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
**JOSIE’S REVIEW**

*4.5 Stars*

Let me start off by saying for me a prologue tells me just how much I am going to enjoy a book and this prologue did just that. It showed the readers how much damage Savannah “Ava” Matthews suffered from her stepfather, Alex’s, brutal attack. She attempts suicide as a way to escape the betrayal, injustice and the pain within her. That did it for me…I could not stop reading!

Ava ends up moving across the world to London to escape Alex. Once she’s there, she is she summ
Jacquelyn Ayres
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Jonah, Jonah, Jonah . . . how I wouldn't mind a piece of you!

Ladies and Gentlemen, turn the A/C on, lower it to a frigid temperature and you might survive the heat from this book!

Jonah is a pure example of all things hot rolled up into one delicious, most delectable Irish Morsel! Yes . . . I said Irish--fully equipped with thick accent (among other things...ah-hem). Just go commando, ladies . . . just go commando! Save yourself the laundry!

Ava is a beautiful and strong woman who won't take
Tabby -  Shattered Hearts Reviews
See this review & more @Insightful Minds Reviews

I both loved and hated this one. The love for it is SO strong – but there were moments when I wanted to nothing but throw my book against something because I just couldn’t believe what was happening! I was hooked from the SYNOPSIS of this one! I mean, who wouldn’t want to read this book after reading that?! I felt like I HAD to know what happened!

The beginning of the book was a bit WOW, but it gave so much insight to what was to come next and w
Steph
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Holy cliffhanger alert...but what a way to end it...and what a bumpy, emo ride that was for sure!
I picked up this book when it was on a free promo...and it started off with a horrific and tense BANG...no gunshots but it might as well have been.
Ava was put through hell by her step-father and after attempting to escape the only way she knew how, she ends up on her own, away from the monster 4 years later, when the book finally gets back to some sense of normalcy. Then her presence is requested at
Feisty Girls
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
~~Meli’s Review~~

Holy hell with the hotness of Jonah Jacobson. He is one alpha male walking sex on a stick.

Jonah is an attorney who was assigned to Ava’s case and there was an instant attraction to each other. Ava is a young woman who has had a very tragic past and she has moved across the ocean to start a new life. When everything is going good for Ava she gets a call she never expects to get along with a man who some how makes his way into her world and blast through all her walls. But Jonah
Sally Johnson
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a roller coaster of a ride.

Ava grips you from the beginning and as I read on I was left wondering which direction she'd actually take. With dark clouds hovering above her and weights on her shoulders she never asked for, any normal girl would crack... But this is Ava Matthews!

Jonah ... What can I say? The hair, the eyes, the complete package, a girls greatest weakness. I have to admit though, I had my moments with him and I am not ashamed to say I growled at him a few times.

Charlotte is
For the Love of Books
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a solid 4 star book. The prologue grabs you instantly and demands your attention. Knowing that there will be a second book, I was a little scared to finish this one. The book is very descriptive about surroundings and people. The book is very intense and emotional at the same time. You feel for Ava from the beginning and you understand why she is so guarded and on edge about men. Until, she meets Jonah and the effect he has on her is one of pure lust. I was on pins and needles when the b ...more
Danielle ⚾️ (Danielle's Escape)
*3.5 stars*

Jonah sure is one hot ass Alpha male and all he wants and sees is Ava. Ava deserves so much happiness with all the crap she has gone through. Ava got on my nerves at times she seemed very confused and not sure what she wanted.

Can't wait to see how this story plays out in the next book in the series due out this summer.

Natasha
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I am speechless. I can't express how amazing this book is! The book is in the league of fifty shades of grey and the cross fire series. Raw, intense, emotional. So much passion between Jonah & Ava, enough to sear the pages of the book or burn your Kindle up. Warning....Cliffhanger that will seriously make you want more and go and download/buy the next book as soon as you finish it.
Ann  Goubert (Driven by Books)
Great

enjoyed reading this book well. thought it was well written and a good story. sometimes couldn't grasp it totally but still a good book. want to read the next one.
Amanda
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really great book. And when I got it on amazon it was a free read. Very good book get it & read it.
Kristina
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
loved it!! can't wait for the next book!!
Rumpled Sheets Blog
Review to follow...
Angela
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MMM.... I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

Well done Courtney Cross you had me from page 1. I am absolutley hooked on this series and cannot wait for book two, Divinely Living.

Mayas
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Will post review during blog tour.
Mariska
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonah and Ava sucked me in their story and didn't let me come up for air until the very end!
I can't wait for the next book!
Caroline Durno
Feb 02, 2014
Kristina
Mar 24, 2014
Angela
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Stoking the Embers (Embers, #1)
  • Ripping Pages
  • Beneath the Fire (Guardians, #1.5)
  • Goodbye Caution (Lost & Found, #1)
  • Destructive (Deadly Love, #1)
  • Escape the Doubt (Shifting, #1)
  • Damaged Goods (Men of London, #7)
  • Legal Action 4 (Surrendering Charlotte Chronicles #4)
  • Control (Shamed, #1)
  • It's Kinda My Thing
  • Beyond All Boundaries
  • Continental Beginnings (Continental Affair, #2)
  • Mia's Journey
  • Never Let Me Go
  • Future Letters
  • Business (Phoenix, #1)
  • Trouble
  • Teaching Maya

Surviving (2 books)
  • Divinely Living (Surviving, #2)