Start by marking “Sorako” as Want to Read:
Sorako

Sorako

GEN Manga is Indie Manga from the Tokyo Underground.
GEN Manga was made to give fans an exclusive look at real doujinshi, otherwise known as indie manga, that they had heard about, but until now, unable to get their hands on. In its essence, doujinshi is manga traded among other manga artists. Manga for manga lovers!
Sorako lives an ordinary life. And this is an ordinary story. She has friend
Published February 4th 2014 by Gen Manga Entertainment, Inc. (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sorako, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorako

Sam Quixote
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fujimura Takayuki’s Sorako is a wonderful collection of short stories, the majority of which follow Sorako, a young woman fresh out of high school but directionless and unable to find a job. All of the stories are about young Japanese women who are somewhat aimless.

In one story, a young barista decides that she should study abroad in England but can’t speak English. She half-heartedly pursues this but doesn’t know if its the right move. In another, a young woman discovers she hasn’t the enthusi
Emmy
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It was really engaging and I just felt pulled right into the story. It had the dreamlike quality that I have come to love from other Japanese authors, such as Haruki Murakami, Banana Yoshimoto, and Osamu Tezuka. It was a soft, gentle read, one that you don't so much read as curl up inside of and hang out for a little while. As with some of the other titles I've reviewed on this site, this is one I think will sit with me for a while.
Annice22
Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review.

Sometimes it's nice to read a comic book (or manga) about nothing more than everyday life. Sorako is a compilation of seven short stories that follow the lives of several people. The stories range from funny to thought-provoking.

I really like this.

Laura (ローラ)
Short stories about Sorako: an aimless slacker, who is bored and dissatisfied with her current situation. Normally this would be the premise of a story where the character slowly comes into her own, finds ways to be satisfied with her situation... Or, you know... Do anything. She doesn't (do anything, that is).

This comic could be construed as a character study, but I would argue that it just doesn't go very deep. It's not particularly moving, I don't think it feels like a commentary on society.
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
* Borrowed from Hoopla Digital.

Eh, it was okay. It's a bunch of short stories in manga form about a young woman named Sorako. She just graduated high school and is looking for a job. Meanwhile, we see a small slice of her life with friends, job searching, discovering new hobbies, etc.

It's a nice quick read, different from the other manga I usually read.
Kristy
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-read
To see more reviews visit my blog Latte-Books

Sorako is comprised of a series of one-shots, all of which feature young women who have left high school behind and have joined the adult world. While all of the stories have a slice of life flavor to them, the main characters give off an aimless feeling – they have vague goals, no goals, missed opportunities, and are uncertain about the future before them.

The title story is about a young woman named Sorako who is fresh out of high school and looking f
Joana Felício
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist, read-to-buy
SEE THE ORIGINAL REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://thebookaddictsblog.blogspot.pt...

I got this ebook from Netgalley in return of an honest review.
Like I have mentioned before, I am not used at all to the Manga/Comic Book style of writing and reading experience, so this was a new adventure for me.
Yet again, this isn't a big action kind of book. It is a manga about a normal girl living her life, through heartbreaks, lost dogs and part-time jobs. And I must say that made her sound very real. She was a real person.
The a
Darnia
I got the copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review

I'm not usually reviewing manga, simply because I randomly read it daily instead of read the newspaper :D But when I saw it in NetGalley's Comic and Graphic Novel's list, it's hard for me not to picked it.

Sorako was an ordinary girl. When her family moved to the other town, her dog Toma disappeared. Sorako looked for him everyday just to found that Toma probably ran away because of the boring life of the new life. And so
Marisa
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Review:

I am not extremely familiar with manga so I jumped on the opportunity to give this a shot when I saw it on NetGalley. Unfortunately, I have to say I was a little underwhelmed, but that may be because I am not a connoisseur. The story is a collection of short stories, but I the main character changed and I found that distracting. Some stories are melancholy and capture indifference that comes with depression, while others are more upbeat. I would have enjoyed the stories more i
Wayne McCoy
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Sorako' is part of the GEN Manga series. This was made to give fans a look at indie manga which is pretty hard to come by. I've read a few of these and this one is my favorite so far.

Sorako's story starts with a missing dog, but there is more missing in Sorako's life. She's apathetic about her job, and directionless in her life. Her father is in the hospital, but she doesn't seem to want to spend much time with him. She wants to go overseas and study or get a job, but she makes no m
Katie
While the title is Sorako not all the short stories are about her. I never really knew what age she was, but all the stories are centered around young women who feel somewhat lost, living aimlessly. The stories deal with the everyday lives of these women, giving us a glimpse of contemporary Japanese life. In some instances it felt like I was missing pages given the curtness of the dialogue. It was hard to feel attached to the characters because of their apathy for life. One thing that I did abso ...more
Jessica
This was a cute collection of realistic/slice of life stories. It reminded me a lot of Solanin, as they're both stories about young adults/twenty-somethings learning who they are and where their place is in the world. The art is in a rough manga/japanese style, a little bit amateur looking at times.

I received a digital galley of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Michelle Heegaard
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I received this as an ebook from Netgalley in return of an honest review.

I liked how the story jumped from time to time in this young girls life. Eventhough it was quite confusing at times. It was hard always to register, whenever you jumped forward or past in time. It would have benn better if there were some kind of silent warning.
And the illustrations very not as good as they could have been. But all in all it was an okay read. Nothing big, nothing fancy, just very simple.
Steph
This collection is pleasantly moody, but sadly inconsistent. Some stories have a deep feeling of melancholy, and really capture the pain of depressed indifference. Other stories are odd and out-of-place. Sorako is a very interesting character, and I would love to read a full manga about her - but sadly, she’s only in about half of the stories here.

Thank you to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Theediscerning
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
More wistful, adult manga, as a young Japanese woman pines for the dog that has run away from home, while also wondering if his absence is not a sign of a better life away from the town and life she finds boring. The episodic nature takes over eventually, which is a shame, including widely differing art styles, but on the whole the piece has some inconsequential charm here and there. It still left too much unresolved for my tastes.
Lauren
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think Sorako is a book you will enjoy or not enjoy based mostly on taste. The reasons others hated it - not much happening, for instance - are what made me really enjoy it. It's a very real book. It feels like real life, and the struggles of being a young person: finding motivation, dealing with the place you live in and family, dealing with the workforce. The art style suited the subject matter.

It's the sort of book that makes you feel less alone, but also encourages you to move f
Gally
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5/5 stars ~ This "slice of life" manga shows a few ordinary women trying to discover new ways to look at the world around them. Unfortunately, the short stories and the art are inconsistent in quality such that I thought for a few minutes that some stories were written and drawn by a different person. I'd recommend checking out this quick read at a library or book store before purchasing it.
ray-chel ♥
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about nothing. It's not really extra entertaining, but I just really enjoyed it. I randomly picked it up at my local library, and I'm glad I did. I loved the simplicity of the stories woven together and the whole slice of life vibe. If you normally like those types of manga, pick this up. It's a short read, but real good.
Kwka
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
really nothing happens in this, like at all. i like that, it's like a microscopic version of "slice of life". in real life mundane things can really affect people, so why not write stories about that too? art is inconsistent but always very good, i actually thought there were multiple artists but i guess not...?
GONZA
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The story is cute without being particular and drawings are perfect for that.

La storia é carina senza essere particolare e i disegni rendono bene l'idea.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND DIAMOND BOOK DISTRIBUTORS FOR THE PREVIEW!
P.
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
between a 3 & 4 star enjoyment. stories of youth who are in inbetween stages of mind. has a quiet tone and I liked the realistic dialogue, thought the characters felt real. feel like this could be the "underground" manga equivalent of mumblecore but w/o the humor
Aaron
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Deceptively emotional, but frustratingly inconsistent. This is probably due to the fact that it wasn't originally produced (or sold) as a collected publication.

Also, not every story includes the title character (Sorako), which can be remarkably confusing at times.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital galley through NetGalley.
shirley
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Uneven, but not without its charms.
Sean O'Hara
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, slice-o-life, ennui
Very quiet and melancholic, reminiscent of Shia LaBoeuf's work both in tone and style.
Brianne Reeves
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, graphic-novels
I received an eArc off of netgalley. The story was fine. It seemed disjointed to me at times, though.
Mel