Start by marking “Stealing Fire” as Want to Read:
Stealing Fire

Stealing Fire

HOW DO YOU RECOGNIZE YOUR SOULMATE?

In glittery 1980's Los Angeles, Beau Kellogg, a brilliant lyricist now reduced to writing advertising jingles, yearns for one last Broadway hit to compensate for his miserable marriage and disappointing life.

Published July 5th 2013 by Drake Valley Press (first published March 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Fire

Julie
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stealing Fire by Susan Sloate is a Drake Valley Publication. This book was released in July,2013. I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

In New York, young Amanda is working at a hotel, but dreaming of Broadway. She grew up loving show tunes, while her friends listened to popular music. Amanda's dream is to perform on Broadway in a musical.

Beau Kellogg just turned sixty. He is feeling mean and angry. He once wrote lyrics for Broadway musicals, but now wri
Carol Kean
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This May-December romance is unstoppable, filled with passion, regret, more passion, pleasure for the reader as well as the protagonists, suspense, tension, conflict and unexpected delights.

A caveat of the romance genre is a handsome young hero who inspires the same infatuation in the reader as in the heroine. This novel does the impossible, delivering a rude, grouchy, self-absorbed Broadway has-been, with a third strike against him, being married and committed to his beautiful but faithless wi
Cindy
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it

Favorite Quotes
"Then whom am I speaking to?"

"I'm the night operator. This is the main switchboard."

"Well, main switchboard, you must all sound alike down there. I could swear I talked to you earlier tonight."

Well, how about that. "You've got a good ear, 704. I was on duty earlier."

"Good Lord. How long are the shifts around here?"

"Eight hours for everybody else. I’m working a double today."

“Why?"

"Maybe I just love it here."

"I guess you do. But I hope you're well compensated."

Trust a man to
Danielle-Claude Mba
When Beau meets Amanda...in B flat!

4 Tony-like Stars...

Hotness factor: Delicious...Delectable...Classy

Okay, before I start my usual sassy rant, I've got to put this out there. I read the blurb! I signed up to this tour because of the blurb. I love musicals, I grew up watching them Singin' In The Rain is my favorite movie, West Side Story and The Band Wagon, Viva Las Vegas, Top Hat...
Then I forgot what it was about and I didn't read it again until I realized that Beau and Amanda would be the coup
Dianne
From anyone on the outside, Beau and Amanda’s connection would not be truly understood, but was their accidental meeting on a hotel switchboard an act of fate, a gift to two lonely souls? A young woman dreaming of rising to the top as a singer, an older man who has seen the pinnacle of success as a lyricist, now reduced to writing commercial jingles, find a soul-deep bond that transcends the difference in their ages.
Beau has become a bitter old man, angry at the world, at how empty his life has
Kathleen
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stealing Fire by author Susan Sloate is a poignant May-December love story of soul mates meeting that transcends time. This emotional tale follows the journey of Amanda Harary, a young actress/singer who works in a NY hotel and dreams of starring on Broadway, whose path crosses with sixty year old Beau Kellogg, a former Broadway composer/lyricist turned writer of advertising jingles. A late-night phone conversation between them over the hotel's switchboard leads to the beginning of an unlikely l ...more
Kayla
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: “HOW DO YOU RECOGNIZE YOUR SOULMATE?

Amanda Harary, a young, idealistic singer out of synch with her contemporaries, dreams of appearing on Broadway, while she holds down a demanding day job at a small New York hotel.

When older man and younger woman meet in a late-night phone conver
Joy D. Fanning
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't read romance novels too much, but this book sounded interesting. First off, it's set in the 80's, which I think is just super awesome (and not just because I was born in the 80s!). It was refreshing to have something set in another time period. What really caught my attention though, was the voice or style in this novel, how it was written.
(was given a copy of this book in exchange of my honest review)

Beau and Amanda love the good o'l days, back in the 50's when everything was great, or
Christina M Condy

This book is about a definite May/December romance. The age difference between the two main characters is quite large.

I liked that the book was set in the 80's. It's a change from the books I've been reading lately which are either set in the now or some time in the future. So it was a nice change for me to take a trip back in time, and not too far that I couldn't remember what it was like then.

Amanda works in a hotel and is a struggling singer. Although she is a strange mix, she has severe st
Beverly Ovalle
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is categorically a book I wouldn’t have picked up (my tastes tend to run more towards paranormal and erotica), but I am SO GLAD I said I would review it. It was wonderful. I am glad to say that I read it.

The beginning started a little slow and I thought, well, I hope it gets better. What I didn’t expect was how it weaved through my brain as I read until I couldn’t put it down. I felt the joy and pain of Amanda’s emotions when they finally came alive. It was her beginning, her life as a chil
Anny hernandez
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
**** I received an ARC for an honest review ****

Ok let me just say that this is the first book that I read from this author.

This is the type of book that I was not expecting but I end up like in it, This book is about May-December romance, fill with passion, regret, suspense, tension, conflict and a unexpected delights. I really enjoy this book so much I couldn't put the book down.

I love the characters, and love it how this story turned out to be.

Stealing Fire is a love story that will go to we
Kj Partridge
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately in love with this book for no apparent reason, can’t even begin to explain why. I just know this story touched me right down to my soul. Amanda and Beau, May and December, they were just right, no matter what age. Amanda had been pulled to the old Broadway music from the time she was a tiny girl, sang along with songs that were no longer even recognized. Beau was part of the team that created some of that music and he was looking to do it at least one more time.
I flat out re
Ann Snizek
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't recommend it for kids (my normal genre is YA), but I found this to be an enjoyable read. Sloate has a comfortable way with words and the characters are well developed. The situations are believable and captivating and it was difficult to put down. The pages went by faster than I expected.
Julie Hayes
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing

At one time, Beau Kellogg’s lyrics set the musical stage aflame, producing hit after hit after hit. But musicals have changed with time, it’s the 1980’s now, and at the age of sixty, Beau finds himself not exactly in demand, reduced to writing jingles for soft drinks and living in LA, when once he called New York home. But he does it because it’s the wish of his wife of many years, even though she no longer lights his fire.

Amanda Harary is a young wannabe singer who pays for her music lessons by
Crystal
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hosted a blog tour for Stealing Fire by Susan Sloate a few months ago. The more I read about Stealing Fire during the tour the more I just had to read this book. It just sounded like a really awesome story and let me tell you I really was not disappointed at all. I really enjoyed this book. I found myself not being able to set it down. I just could not wait to see what was going to happen next or how in the world this wonderful couple was ever going to find their way together.

Amanda Harary is
Sheri
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stealing Fire by Susan Sloate

Set in the 1980's Amanda Harary is young and working for a prestigious hotel. Her dreams are to some day be on Broadway way performing. While working as the hotel operator she strikes up some late night (phone) conversations with sixty year old Beau Kellogg, a well known lyricist.

Soon their relationship turns into more than friendship. Amanda can't keep her mind off of the dashing older man. Beau is desperately trying to revive his career and finds something special
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Ms. Sloate pens an beautifully written, yet unusual story full of emotion, and angst.

Read full review in the 2014 March issue of InD’tale Magazine.
The Watsons's
Jun 07, 2016
Robin Deffendall
Mar 02, 2015
Jennifer Tubbiolo
Mar 21, 2014
Susan Sloate
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kelly Fowler
Jonny
Jul 19, 2017
Randi Faris
Aug 24, 2017
Bestselling author of 21 published books, including FORWARD TO CAMELOT: 50th Anniversary Edition (with Kevin Finn), STEALING FIRE and REALIZING YOU (with Ron Doades). The original 2003 edition of FORWARD TO CAMELOT was a #6 Amazon bestseller, honored in 3 literary competitions and optioned for Hollywood film production. STEALING FIRE, the 2013 #2 Amazon bestseller, was a Quarter-Finalist in the 20 ...more