Start by marking “Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend” as Want to Read:
Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend

Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend

This picturebook rendition of the historical roots of Father Christmas recounts the life of Saint Nicholas, a pastor in 4th-century Lycia (modern-day Turkey), whose generosity was so profound that he became known as Father Christmas.
Paperback
Published July 1st 2007 by Concordia Publishing House (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Saint Nicholas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Nicholas

Start your review of Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend
Shari
Read this for our Saint of the day - Saint Nicholas. Complete with our chocolate gold coins! Beautiful story and illustrations about a generous, kind and holy man.
Katie
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
It's wonderful to read a story about Saint Nicholas that presents him as he was: a pastor and a bishop who cared for his flock.
Though we do not know the full real story of Bishop Nicholas' gifts, Mrs. Steigemeyer does a great job using what we know to paint a rich picture of his ministry. I especially appreciated that she mentioned that the people loved him because he faithfully gave them the Word and Sacraments.

Not only are the words great, but the artwork is beautiful and serves to bring the w
Penelope
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to teach young children about the real story behind Saint Nicholas. Each year we read this book just before Saint Nicholas day, then celebrate the day (December 6th) by putting the kids' shoes outside their room at night. I put in gold chocolate coins (or oranges) for them to discover in the morning. I especially like the pictures of Saint Nicholas because the kids can see how our modern day Santa Claus was patterned after him. The book is a tad wordy for my 4 and 5 year old ...more
Jan
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it
A lovely and earnest depiction of the man who became Saint Nicholas, this book by Jule Stiegemeyer provided wonderful details which drew me in over and again. First, while Nicholas the man was portrayed as a pastor, there are details in his red clothing that allow children to see the connections to the jolly old soul we know as Santa Claus. This is not a story of "how St. Nicholas became Santa Claus," however, but instead starts with "A man named Nicholas lived a long time ago in a village by t ...more
Tyrel
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an essential resource for Christian parents with young children. My children love it! My wife and I read it to our kids every year around December 6th for at least the first ten years of their lives. It’s the best Saint Nicholas book available. Hands down.
Rachel
How fitting to reread this beloved book of my childhood on Christmas Day! Seriously, one of my most favorite books of all time, it inspired me to be the person I am today.
Mary Thomas
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#cbad 2018-2019 - 5th grade SCA - 12/6/18 - average rating 4.7
MJ
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ryan-s-list
Ryan loved hearing the facts since the myths were already so familiar to him.
Jeremy
Bought this for the girls for Christmas 2018. I also reviewed paperback version. ...more
Joel Kersey
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid telling of what we know of the historical Saint Nicholas. Includes good connections to the the Gospel driven focus of the man. Colorful artwork.
Michael Thiel
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great children’s book on the story of St Nick! I enjoyed reading it to Lily and Francine. Took about 15 minutes.
Heidi Morrell
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read every year
Luisa Knight
Exquisite pictures adorn this wonderful tale that explains where our ideas of a jolly, generous man came from.

Ages: 4 - 9

#christmas

Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Jenny
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, to-buy
Really liked this book. I hadn't ever really known the story of how Santa Claus came about. I think this is one I'd like to have in my Christmas collection to teach my children about why we celebrate Christmas with these traditions. ...more
Beth Nieman
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Families who celebrate Christmas
What a charming picture book! A gentle account of Bishop Nicholas of Myra, around whose life the legend of Santa Claus is based. There is a glossary at the end of the book to help young readers with some of the unfamiliar words. I liked the illustrations very much.
Mckinley
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't do a very good job with the story line - sort of hop in and out of the story in seeking to clarify customs. Nice religious ending. ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, religion
we bought this book last christmas to help with any Santa Claus discussions. It is a delighthful book and I recommend it for any family that would like a good story book about St. Nicholas.
Emily
Dec 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Itsy Bitsy Christmas: You're Never Too Little for His Love
  • The Legend of St. Nicholas: A Story of Christmas Giving
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Letters from Father Christmas
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • The Lady of Guadalupe
  • The Crayons' Christmas
  • Love from the Crayons
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • Long Was the Winter Road They Travelled: A Tale of the Nativity
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Downfall (Joanna Brady, #17)
  • Encyclopedia of Grannies