Start by marking “The House at Pooh Corner” as Want to Read:
The House at Pooh Corner

The House at Pooh Corner

(Winnie-the-Pooh #2)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  75,756 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews
Winnie-the-Pooh, the Best Bear in All the World, has long been adored by readers young and old. In this beautiful full-color gift edition of "The House at Pooh Corner, " Ernest H. Shepard's classic illustrations have been painstakingly hand-colored. An exquisite volume and the perfect gift for any occasion, this book is as vivid and charming as the beloved characters from ...more
Hardcover, Completely New Format edition , 180 pages
Published 1961 by E. P. Dutton & Co. (first published 1928)

To ask other readers questions about The House at Pooh Corner, please sign up.
Rick There are two similar quotes of Winnie-the-Pooh as written by Milne;

There are two similar quotes of Winnie-the-Pooh as written by Milne;

“When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”

“As soon as I saw you, I knew a grand adventure was about to happen.”
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patrick Amedzorgbe Interesting books but how I can access the full story to read on my phone?

·  75,756 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews

Kai
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”

I will forever be in love with these books. The sweetness and melancholy get me every single time. I don't know where Milne takes all the beautiful words, the laughing-out-loud humor and the ideas from. I am in awe.

Find more of my books on Instagram
James
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautifully and so simply written (deceptively so) by A.A. Milne and exquisitely illustrated by E.H. Shepard (initially black/white line drawings and later colour washed by Shepard himself).

These are the stories of a boy and his bear, his world and all the wonderful characters that inhabit that world – 100 Acre Wood, his childhood and ultimately the passing of that childhood.

What could have been (especially considering the era in which they were written) a particularly twee, sickly sweet an
Manny
Winnie the Pooh and the Cocktail Party

"Hi. I'm Vikki. Sorry, what did you say your name was? So noisy in here you can't hear a thing. Ed. Got it. Nice to meet you, Ed! What? Oh, I'm a model. Glamor. Thanks! Well, if you've walked past the men's magazine section this week, then you will have. Front cover of Loaded. Really? Hey, that's sweet. No, I mean it. You're really nice. Oh, alright then. Would you believe it, stockings and a honey-pot. That was it. Yes, I do actually. Love it. Have it for b
Chrissie
As a small child, Winnie the Pooh stories were read to me. As an adult, I read them to my kids and took them to see where Christopher Robin and his childhood friends had lived—the Milnes’ country home at Cotchford Farm, Hartfield in East Sussex, England. We walked in the “Hundred Acre Wood” where he had walked. In real life it is part of Ashdown Forest. We saw the bridge and tumbling creek where sticks had been thrown in on one side and eagerly awaited on the other. I wanted to share with my chi ...more
Bryce Wilson
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, classic-lit
Lovely.

I was shocked by how melancholy the book allowed itself to become at the end. And how much that melancholy affected me, but as far as I'm concerned "A little boy and his bear will always be playing." Might be the most hopeful line to end a book in the English language.
·Karen·
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celebrity Death Match Review

Semi-Final Match: Winnie-the Pooh vs. Hamlet

BSI Rep: So, the Hundred Acre Wood Corporation has applied for ISO 9000 certification. Would you like to present your company, in terms of its aims and target market?

100 Acre Wood CEO: Yes, indeed. Thank you for this opportunity. For nearly a century now we have provided children and their parents with one of the most essential tools towards abstract thinking, emotional hygiene, social empathy and creativity. Let me bring th
Calista
I love the purity of this story. It has this child-like wonder about the world. We see through the eyes of Pooh who has little attachments in this world besides honey. He is usually the one to come up with solutions to problems and he doesn't overthink things. He lives by his gut.

Each character has such a strong and distinct voice. It's a classic for a reason. You can just hear A. A. Milne telling Christopher Robin these bedtime stories and the boy being delighted. We are just lucky that A. A.
Fergus
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the fifties, one Christmas, I had a mammoth case of the flu. But somehow for a little kid the world is always a place of wonder, no matter HOW bad he feels...

I remember reading the story of the Flying Dutchman in bed on Christmas Eve - with an incipient fever blackening the edges of my reverie, like the ominous apparition of a major typhoon darkening the edges of the sea.

So that, reading this book of the Dutchman’s restless quest became my last clear memory of that Christmas, otherwise s
Jessica
Even more delightful than the first, I think. And also quite bittersweet, as Christopher Robin essentially has to grow up, and his Hundred Acre Wood friends struggle to understand what is happening. Reading this aloud, I have to fight not to break down in the final chapter.

2018: My kids had just seen both the original animated movie, the newer Winnie-the-Pooh animated movie, and the new live action Christopher Robin. They loved seeing how the stories in this book had been used, directly, for the
Merphy Napier
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, five-stars
I'm so happy that I picked up this series. These books have been so much fun to read and I'll for sure be rereading very soon!
Melanie
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was with much apprehension that I started this- after all, my initial impression (Winnie the Pooh as it is in Disney) is vastly different from this book. In fact, I don't think I would have even picked up the book, had a friend not recommended it to me. And I'm very glad she did.

I'm surprised by how sad but realistic the end of this book was; with Christopher Robin growing up and everyone realizing he's leaving the Forest, that wonderful place where only one with enough imagination can go. It
N.N. Light
There are some days when I've had enough of the world and need to escape to the Hundred Acre Wood with my friends Winnie the Pooh and Piglet. These are the original stories and illustrations. If you're a fan of Winnie the Pooh but haven't read this yet, I highly recommend it! Children and adults alike will love these grand adventures.

My Rating: 5+ stars
Ken
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second volume of short stories fearing Winnie-the-Pooh, this collection is most noticeable for the introduction of Tigger.

I really enjoy this collection and this books illustrations are just wonderful.
notgettingenough
For the final of Celebrity Death Match.

Some basic facts about Winnie the Pooh and the Divine Comedy.

(1) Have you ever tried looking up Winnie on project Gutenberg? You find that Dante gets a few thousand hits and Winnie gets none. NONE!!! And you know why? Because Disney bullied Congress years ago into being allowed to keep the copyright longer than was their legal right. And you know why they did that? Of course it is because everybody loves Winnie. Try this, if you don't believe me. Offer the
Inshirah Kamal
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
i have always loved Winnie-the-Pooh.
after all who couldn't?
a bunch of animals each with a different and captivating personality.
their outlook of the world, their adventures and beliefs
are all bound to make me laugh, cry and wonder and the same time.

when i picked this up from the library, i only thought of getting reacquainted with my childhood heroes.
i never thought it was possible to fall more in love with book.
i am in tears . this book is everything !!!!
Amanda
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book! I’m sure I watched the animated tv show as a kid, but don’t really remember much of it now. Yet somehow so much of this seems familiar. I didn’t realize this was book two since I found it in a used bookstore or something, and I definitely want to read the first one.
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Adorable book. Love the cute illustrations, which fit perfectly with the way the stories are told.
Gisoo
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

در این کتاب خبری از حرف های راوی با کریستوفر رابینی که خرسش رو توی راه پله دنبال خودش می کشید نیست و فقط قصه ها پشت سر هم میان و میرن.
برای کتاب قبلی نوشته بودم "میشه حدس زد که نویسنده با خلق این قصه ها، چه کودکی شیرینی برای کریستوفر رابین ساخته" ولی بعدش کمی درباره وینی (خرس باغ وحش) و ادوارد (خرس اسباب بازی) خوندم و به خاطر همین هم این بار، این جمله رو پاک کردم.
باورکردنی نیست که قصه ها و شخصیت هایی این قدر دوست داشتنی، باعث شدن کریستوفر رابین واقعی آزار ببینه و از کودکی و خانواده ش بدش بیاد.

و
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Very endearing and much more thorough than the previous wonder, but still not as magical as I'd always been led to believe.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Liam
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nearly cried at that ending I won't lie !
Brian Robbins
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a deprived childhood. Ahhh! I did not read any of the Winnie the Pooh stories until I came across this recording & the companion recording of "Winnie the Pooh" until I bought them for my daughter when I was in my 40s.

It's the only story which has brought me close to crashing the car. Driving through the Lake District I heard the the Pooh sticks story as Eyeore floats under the bridge. It's difficult to see dry-stone walls, cry laughing uncontrollably, and keep control of a car on tigh
Rissie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've heard that these books are meant for children, but I can't quite believe it.
Simona
Rating: 5+/5

Ce nebunie să nu fi citit până acum Ursuletul Winnie Puh. Casuta din strada Puh scrisă de minunatul autor Milne! O nebunie curată pentru că o astfel de carte nu este doar pentru pitici ci şi pentru tineri şi chiar pentru adulţii şi bătrânii care doresc să îşi amintească cu plăcere de zilele copilăriei.

Ţin minte că o prietenă de-a mea avea o carte veche cu ursuleţul Winnie Puh şi o răsfoisem şi chiar citisem din ea dar cu grijă că i se cam destrămau paginile vechi şi pline de istorie.
Amanda G. Stevens
Gentle and sweet and sprinkled with unexpected wisdom (or should I say, wisdom from unexpected sources). I grew up on the animated New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, but back then I (of course) didn't see how the characters fit definite personality types; that was fun to track while reading Milne for the first time. Also the layers of wordplay and wit are delightful. All in all, I was going to give this a strong four stars until the last story, at which point I cried for Christopher Robin and Po ...more
Kristen
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics, own
I never had read the orginal Pooh books, so decided I should.

To quote from the back cover:
"Private research has convinced us that few people in responsible positions in society today have got to their eminence without the influence of Pooh"
- The Christian Science Monitor

And The House at Pooh Corner is home to one of my most favorite Pooh quotes (which I collected from somewhere other than the book, I guess):
"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
'Pooh!' he whispered.
'Yes, piglet?'
'Nothing,' said
Alicia
Cuteness and nostalgia overload while reading this! Couldn't stop smiling! <3
Manal
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
im an adult but here i am ...crying over winnie the pooh,,.. again
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I've always loved Pooh Bear and always will. When everyone got into Snoopy, I was still crazy for Winnie the Pooh.
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
A favorite from when I was a child and it was a pleasure to share Milne's lyrical writing and wonderful characters with my eight year old daughter who fell in love with the book as much as I did. This book is perfect for reading out loud to each other since Milne's stylistic writing choices sound wonderful to the ear...you can picture Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit, Owl, and Christopher Robin doing and saying exactly what he describes. Such a wonderful, lovely book! No wonder i ...more
Vaishali
My first time ever with Pooh & friends. Silly, sad, and witty. Some of the smartest quips and soulful reflections I've ever read in children's literature. <3

Quotes:
-------
Owl kept his head and told us that the Opposite of an Introduction… was a Contradiction.

They haven't got Brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't Think…

"What do Jagulars do?" asked Piglet, hoping that they wouldn’t.

… And he was the sort of Tigger who was always in fron

• The Complete Tales
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • Capyboppy
  • Return to the Hundred Acre Wood
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • Dolphin Adventure (Dolphin Adventure #1)
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children #2)
  • We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (Swallows and Amazons, #7)
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac

Winnie-the-Pooh (4 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
19504 likes
“Wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.” 294 likes