Start by marking “Home-Making” as Want to Read:
Home-Making

Home-Making

Don't let the title fool you. This is not just a book for women who keep home. Home-Making is an uncompromising vision statement for the domestic bliss and cultural dominion of the Christian family. The message of Home-Making is powerful: "Sisters, Brothers, Husbands, Wives -- Home life is meant to be beautiful, ennobling, and victorious!" God intends for each person, from ...more
Published December 11th 2001 by The Vision Forum, Inc. (first published 1882)

To ask other readers questions about Home-Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home-Making

Rachel
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a rare while, I see or hear or read something so beautiful that my heart cannot accommodate it's loveliness and the experience becomes almost painful. C.S. Lewis once said, “If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” This book exemplified that hopeful yearning for me utterly. I have been married for over 25 years and my family is half-way "raised", but reading this traditional, Ut ...more
Becky Pliego
Reading this book is like looking at a perfect painting of the Christian family in a beautiful museum. Miller (1880's) describes in detail how does the Christian family should live and it really makes you want to live like that.

However, as you look closer into "the painting," you find that Miller did not address the most important thing that makes living this kind of life possible: The Gospel. There is no mention of sin and redemption, so if this is the only book one reads on how to live a godl
Rick Davis
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-theology
The Family is a book on, what else, the family by J. R. Miller, a pastor in the late 1800s. The book is arranged to highlight the various duties and roles of each member of a Christian family and to give a vision of what a biblical family ought to be. Various chapters focus on the husband, the wife, parents, children, and siblings. Each chapter is full of poetry, hymns, anecdotes, and parables to illustrate his points.

Overall, Miller does a great job of painting a beautiful picture of the family
Mary Beth
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, rich wisdom concerning practical godly living in the home. A true instructional delight.
Nicholas Clinch
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naptimecafé
This gem is subtle yet clear, like gilded cracks of well-worn pottery.

"Brothers and sisters are each other's natural keepers... Next to mother and father there is no one who can do so much to help a young man to live nobly as his own sister...Show them in yourselves such perfect loveliness that they will turn away ever after from everything that is unlovely."

To the glory of Home in our Father's house!
Brittany
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book-- every person should read it. I thought bc the title was called home-making that it was just for women..but this book is for both men and women-- encouraging them to make their home a place where Christ dwells.
DD
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a good read if you are striving to have a godly family. This is a book worth reading once a year. It is encouraging and convicting, what today's families truly need to reading.
Leslie Hoyt
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read on the WHY of home making.
Beautiful, heart and spirit enriching words of encouragement and exhortation for men and women.
One of the top 10 books I've read in my lifetime.
Melissa
I finally finished reading The Family by J. R. Miller! It was excellent, and one I will probably read several times throughout my life. With poetic sensitivities, the author writes on the roles of husbands, wives, parents, children, brothers and sisters, and additionally touches on the wedded life, the home-life, religion in the home, and home memories. Here are just a few quotes--the whole book is almost equally as worthy. Though some of it is possibly seen through rosy-tinted glasses, should n ...more
Inder
Update - I still haven't finished this book, and I might not, ever. But I did read another couple chapters, including the one on surviving hard times with your family in tact, and it was all so moving, and so true. I got all choked up, thinking about how difficult life could be 150 years ago. Death was common, even depressingly familiar, to Victorian families. (Okay, I cry during commercials, so this probably doesn't say much, but I shed a few tears.) Anyway, this cemented what I was trying to a ...more
Beth
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Previously called "Home-Making," and changed to "The Family," this book encompasses the two titles combined. It lays out in lovely words how each member of the household plays a special role in the harmony and affability of a loving, Christian home. Above all, I would say it's devotional in style. The practical application would have to come about by the individual's own conviction and specific circumstances. There is less on the mundane requirements and more on the inward fixtures; attitude, te ...more
Ross Leavitt
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, family
Reading this book is like visiting a home that, though yet imperfect, is full of love and joy. Those of us who have experienced this singular blessing with a real family know that it at once it warms the heart and convicts the spirit of the many ways we undermine the spirit of love and joy in our own homes with our thoughtlessness. Miller must have experienced it himself, for his description of a godly family life is vivid and absolutely beautiful.

He has a recurring message which we've all hear
Nickie
May 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Written in 1882, this novel is for the whole family. Each member holds responsibility to develop positive relationships. To build trust and love throughout life. I was especially appreciative of the advice for brothers and sisters in the development of lasting bonds of sibling respect and love. Something I really feel I missed growing up and now in my later years.
One thing I did different with this book was to use the ideas of Dr. Oliver DeMille. I didn't exactly follow his way I adapted his way
Shannon
Dec 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I expected this to be a book aimed at a woman's role in the home. What a surprise. It covers everything from marriage to brother-sister relationships to parenting, to general atmosphere. It's a beatiful book addressing the topic of establishing and creating a pleasant, godly home. There are aspects of home life that many of us never think to be purposeful about. I may not have agreed with everything, but much good and inspiration is contained in its pages. As a daughter at home, I found work for ...more
Joshua Horn
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
J. R. Miller gives a beautifully written picture of biblical home life. Don't be fooled by the title. It's not just about how wives are home makers, it covers many aspects of family life - marriage, children, siblings, etc.

This book is not so much of a theological tome or book of exhortation, as a book that just shows the beauty of the Christian life. Part of that, that really help me much, were very frequent quotations of poetry.
Karen
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-room
I picked this up at a yard sale, expecting merely an interesting read (particularly since it was first published in 1882). Instead, what a found was a timeless treasure of Christian home-making principles. Reader, you will not find in its pages tips and advice regarding household chores, but you will find encouragement, poetry and advice on establishing a home that is centered upon Christ. I adore this book!
Danelle
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I am so glad I have this on our shelves! I will be highly recommending it to the girls when they start their journey of home-making! I especially love the chapter on religion in the home!
Melissa Nichols
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the ideas in this book...a reminder of what is really important in life and your family role. A little old fashioned in the way it is written....kind of wordy and hard to follow once in a while.
Summer
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-favorites
I actually didn't completely read this book. It's old, and much of its advice is as true today as it was when it was written. However I found the author to be long-winded, overly sentimental, and dramatic.
Angelia
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angelia-s
A must read!
Muni
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A superb book which speaks many home truths. It reads almost like poetry at times and really really makes you think about what is marriage, family and priorities in life.
Rmae
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTSTANDING!!!!!
Nothing outlines how a family can and should work together as concisely or beautifully.
Robertandjennie Scherer
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, thought provoking,convicting, beautiful and not just for women, which is why they changed the title to The Family.
Leslie
Feb 04, 2008 added it
I ordered this from vision forum. It looks really good.
Jen
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for staying home and loving my husband and shepherding these kiddos' hearts. Loved it.
Nikki
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I would say this is a must read if you are part of a family. This is NOT just for mothers!! What should a home look like? What does each family member contribute to the home? Wonderful book.
Joshua Blair
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the most beautiful, inspiring books on family life I've read.
Karen
Apr 20, 2010
Magistra
Jun 30, 2014
Maureen Kelly
Nov 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • So Much More
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • On Asking God Why: And Other Reflections on Trusting God in a Twisted World
  • Always Ready: Directions For Defending The Faith
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
James Russell Miller (March 20, 1840 – July 2, 1912) was a popular Christian author, Editorial Superintendent of the Presbyterian Board of Publication, and pastor of several churches in Pennsylvania and Illinois.

J.R. Miller was born near Frankfort Springs, Pennsylvania, on the banks of the Big Traverse, which according to his biographer, John T. Faris, is a merry little mill stream which drains on
“The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home, filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies.” 45 likes
“When the results of life are all gathered up—it will probably be seen that the things in us which have been made the deepest and most lasting impressions in our homes and upon our children—have not been the things we did with purpose and intention, planning to produce a certain effect—but the things we did when we were not thinking of training or influencing or affecting any other life!” 0 likes