Start by marking “The Night Before Halloween” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Halloween

The Night Before Halloween

"'Twas the night before Halloween, and all through the house, All the creatures were stirring, except for the mouse.The monsters had gathered to plan and prepare,For the trick-or-treaters who soon would be there?." Little monsters and goofy goblins take center stage in this silly, spooky spin on Clement C. Moore's beloved poem. But what will happen on Halloween when the monsters ...more
Published August 16th 1999 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Halloween

Start your review of The Night Before Halloween
Laurie Fieldman
Adorable adaptation of “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” with delightful illustrations. Monsters, ghosts, witches and mummies get a chance to enjoy the holiday together...but will the young human trick-or -treaters join them?
Happy Halloween!🎃
Andrea
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Heather
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Kristine Hansen
There are two stories here - what's going on with the monsters in the neighborhood, and what's going on with the children. As it turns out, the anticipation and celebration of Halloween looks much the same for both parties. Cute and quick story done in the vein of "The Night Before Christmas."
Samantha
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Follows the pattern of The Night Before Christmas, a fun book to read around Halloween!
James
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will own upfront that my review of this work is biased on two accounts - first, my son, to whom I have read this book multiple times, was born on the titular night and, second, Halloween is a big to do in my life- we hosts parties and attend events more in that holiday than mist others. Having said that, the story, as other reviewers note, readily creates a version of Twas the Night Before Christmas for the Halloween season, with creatures and the like working through the night to prep for their holida ...more
Meg McGregor
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-reads
This is a story based on the poetic story of The Night Before Christmas. It is well written and helps bring back such wonderful memories!

I particularly enjoyed this part.

"The monsters all cheered
as they danced with delight,
'Happy Halloween to all -
And to all a fright night!"

I used to love taking Katherine trick-or-treating! We dressed up, and went to carnivals and Safe Streets, or church activities.

I am hoping one day I will have
Jodie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series. It has some great storylines and I love the way Natasha Wing finds a way to use the Night Before for pretty much any occasion. This one is cute and I can't wait to share it with my niece and nephew.
Rebekah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall
This is so cute and really stays with the rhythm of the original poem.
Set
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
A Halloween adaptation of Clement C. Moore's The Night Before Christmas with simple cartoony pictures.
Miss Sarah
Children get ready for Halloween, party and then trick or treat. fun and fast paced. preschool and up for length
Stacy L Reese
I give it a three out of five

It was an ok book in my opinion. I enjoyed this book.
It was good.
I liked it.
Sabrina
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine loves Halloween and this book is perfect in capturing the fun of the holiday. Sunshine and I loved saying “trick or treat” and “Happy Halloween” louder and louder. Such an engaging story.
Margret
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I read it to my grandkids and they enjoyed it. It was fun and perfect for the ocassion.
Ashley Wittenmeier
An amazing series

We love this little Night Before Series! The rhyming and simplicity make them all perfect for our kids 5, 4 and 2.
Mya
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. A wonderful read for children of all ages.
Kristina
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 3 kids and I enjoyed reading this book. The story was cute and easy to follow along with. I would recommend this book to others.
Gerry
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
good book for the boys
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute

Loved this parody on twas the night
Very cute and fun to read
Would totally buy this title again :)
Emma
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute. Too long for storytime.
(Josie read x2)
Ben Truong
The Night Before Halloween is a children's picture book written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Cynthia Fisher. It is a book about a family of monsters getting ready for Halloween for the upcoming children trick-or-treaters. As today is the eve of Halloween, I thought reading this book would be apropos.

Wing's text is simplistic and lyrical. It is written in the style of "The Night Before Christmas". The poem was written especially well and follows the rhythm and style of the original poem extremely w
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
*Reviewed for Mundie Kids on 10/21/2011*

I have to admit that we have a TON of these books. Okay, not a ton, but at least a dozen. Who can resist the familiar rhyme made famous by Clement C. Moore's poem. We all know it and can recite it by heart.

Well, imagine a Halloween-themed version where the monsters are getting ready for trick-or-treaters to visit their house. I think
Barbara
The Night Before Halloween is all about ghosts and goblins and all kinds of halloween characters that are preparing for halloween. The whole book is like the Night Before Christmas, but obviously halloween. It is all a poem and the way the words are used makes it fun for the reader. Once all of the characters are ready they discuss how they will act when trick or treaters come to the door. This is a fun book that can be used in classroom to incorporate poetry and how you can use it for any time ...more
Terri
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Night Before Halloween by Natasha Wing is a fun take on the tradition of The Night Before Christmas. On the eve of Halloween, there are a bunch of scary ghouls and goblins, witches and vampires all getting ready for the day. Meanwhile, back in town, the children are waking up to play a bunch of games and participate in fun activities during the day before it is time to go Trick or Treating. The kids get their costumes on and hit all the houses in neighborhood—except one. They head up to the ...more
Kristen
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, halloween
My daughter got his as part of her birthday gift from her grandparents. It was a really cute book to the same flow as the Night Before Christmas. It was actually done really well. The words flowed easily and nothing seemed like it was pushed in there to make it rhyme.

The illustrations were bright and fun. There's a lot to look at so I think we'll find new things each time we read it.

The story it told was really cute too. I really enjoyed this and I'm glad we own it so we can read it
Melanie
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
In the tradition of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas comes The Night Before Halloween. Cute (not scary) illustrations depict classic Halloween monsters and children dressing up for the holiday. It does sort of imply the witch is scary and has the kids run away from her, but it never has seemed to frighten my daughter (the illustrations are cutesy Halloween not scary Halloween). A fun read for October.
Daniel
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
It can be so hard, as a parent, to read a book like this aloud to a child. Most publishers will tell you not to write a children's book with rhyme, and yet this not only works a rhyme, but tries to copy the style of a very famous story ... The Night Before Christmas.

It's difficult to find good books for young children that are Halloween-themed. This book will not solve the search.
Kim
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, holiday
This book is part of my personal holiday Halloween collection. This book was enjoyed by my son when he was very young. He liked to hear this one read aloud as it is similiar to the song "Twas tje night before Christmas story. This version is published by Scholastic Books so it was light and it was brightly adorned with the traditional colors of Halloween. Cute book for the younfdf
Rosa Cline
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a neat Halloween storybook! Written in the format of "Twas the Night before Christmas" but everything Halloweenish. Including humans and monsters both alike. My 3 year old granddaughter and I enjoyed reading this book together.
Katie Knight
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable Halloween story! The sing song writing will keep kids interested. The illustrations are colorful and draw you into the story. There are all sorts of typical Halloween costumes worn by kids- ghost, monsters, witches, ... If you have kids or work with kids check it out.

• Cecily G. and the 9 Monkeys
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Arthur's Halloween
  • It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Halloween Hustle
  • It's Halloween
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more
“Twas the night before Halloween,
and all through the house,
all the creatures were stirring,
except for the mouse.
The monsters had gathered
to plan and prepare,
for the trick-or-treaters
who soon would be there.”
1 likes
“Mummies unraveled
and put on new wraps.
Spiders found corners
and spun silky traps.
Count Dracula grinned
and slicked back his hair.
Frankenstein’s bride cried,